As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Awakening: Out now in the colonies. Europe suffers still.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    awesome, we're getting the entire first season.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    New thread is going up later today instead of right now. Feel free to submit thread title suggestions, fan art, cool FE songs/fmvs, whatever.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't suppose there's a way to turn on the auto-battle and have it stay on the entire fight, is there? As is, it just turns off at the start of a new turn.

I've been tweaking around, trying to find the most efficiant support farming method. And a persistent auto-battle would make things pretty hands free.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    most efficient way to farm support ive found is to do Champions of Yore 3.

Put a few of the people you want to farm with in there, (up to 8 works well). Put them in units, and set 2 groups to each side of spawn. Im also using this to level up the kid characters after recruiting them. Its a fairly quick way of doing so.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been fiddling with both CoY 2 and 3. Move far enough in, and everything just suicides against you. It's especially great since you can hit Start/Select and it'll auto skip virtually the entire turn, only coming back if you level up or die. Only drawback is you have to be sufficiently beefy to survive, especially with 3.

The other option is to summon a weak spotpass like Florina. Much better if you're weaker. But like I said, it would be far more awesome if you could set the auto battle on and have the entire stage play itself while you go do something else for a moment.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Oh, cool. (Major spoilers)
    Just got to the point where Lucina tries to gut you like a fish for being a puppet of the bad guys.

And I got the dialog option to say "You know, you have a point. Let's get this over with."

I love that! And it fits a trend in the game. At every boneheaded move in the game needed to further the plot, instead of just having the characters go "Whelp! Time to do something dumb", they work through their reasoning, explain the arguments pro and con, and make a call based on both logical costs and emotional weight.

Of course, half the reason I picked it is Lucina could pretty much effortlessly kill the entire rest of the army at this point. Aether, galeforce and rightful king go pretty well together.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I got this yesterday, and I'd like to ask if DLC carries over other save files.

Also, when are Ike and Lyn going to be available?

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Speaking of DLC, is there any reason at all to use the guest/previous game characters? They don't appear to be mechanically superior to my dudes, and they lack support stuff, which feels pretty damn important.

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »

Yes on DLC.

Ike and Lyn... well. There's spotpass data for both that's already out. You just have to fight them (Ike's is a jacked up lv20 team, and Lyn isn't much better, so you're not doing it for a long while) or pay upwards of 10000 gold (which given the gold DLC... is easily doable now). There's also DLC in the pipeline that will reward you with an Ike and Lyn character too. I have no idea what, if anything, makes them different from the spotpass versions. Other than the fact that they have differently drawn portraits.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Speaking of DLC, is there any reason at all to use the guest/previous game characters? They don't appear to be mechanically superior to my dudes, and they lack support stuff, which feels pretty damn important.

Maybe nostalgia? I feel the same as you, though. I would never use any of them.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    So I lent my 3DS to my brother so he could play through this and EO4. I'm hoping when I get it back, most of the DLC has come through. I'd really like to try some of the future (children only) DLC maps and that Strongest One's Name, if they intend to bring those over.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So far this game is completely badass, I haven't finished the game yet(Playing on Normal/Classic) on Chapter 15 or so and already look forward to playing again on a harder difficulty.

One question regarding Chrom and marriage
    Can Chrom marry people other than Sumia? I never got his support high enough with anyone before the two year gap in the story at which point it forced Sumia on him. Does that always happen or can you head it off by having him marry someone else earlier and/or having Sumia die?

Granted it seems certain characters never actually die, they just stop becoming usable and still show up in cutscenes so I figure she is probably one of them in that case.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    @Eeelektrik - Yes, he can. My next playthrough I plan to be the female avatar and marry Chrom...maybe anyway. He's kind of lame, haha.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So far this game is completely badass, I haven't finished the game yet(Playing on Normal/Classic) on Chapter 15 or so and already look forward to playing again on a harder difficulty.

One question regarding Chrom and marriage
    Can Chrom marry people other than Sumia? I never got his support high enough with anyone before the two year gap in the story at which point it forced Sumia on him. Does that always happen or can you head it off by having him marry someone else earlier and/or having Sumia die?

Granted it seems certain characters never actually die, they just stop becoming usable and still show up in cutscenes so I figure she is probably one of them in that case.
    He can marry several other candidates. If you take a look at the support log now, you'll see a few folks he can S rank with. At the end of Chapter 11, whoever has the most support with him (or whoever he got an S rank with) will marry him. Olivia is a candidate that you get in chapter 11 who is a marriage potential. You have to avoid the other candidates in order to get her to be his pick though, since she can only get so much support in a single map.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

Yes on DLC.

Ike and Lyn... well. There's spotpass data for both that's already out. You just have to fight them (Ike's is a jacked up lv20 team, and Lyn isn't much better, so you're not doing it for a long while) or pay upwards of 10000 gold (which given the gold DLC... is easily doable now). There's also DLC in the pipeline that will reward you with an Ike and Lyn character too. I have no idea what, if anything, makes them different from the spotpass versions. Other than the fact that they have differently drawn portraits.

Wait, what's the difference between buying the DLC and getting Spotpass data? Because I might just not buy the DLC if I can just get those characters for free, even if they have different classes.

• Options

Yes on DLC.

Wait, what's the difference between buying the DLC and getting Spotpass data? Because I might just not buy the DLC if I can just get those characters for free, even if they have different classes.

Well you're also getting a map to fight on, with some cool callbacks and some story to boot. The character is just kind of a nice bonus.

There's a video posted a page back that details all the planned DLC so far.

• Options
    Most of the DLC/Spotpass characters can become any class.

Some also come with ridiculous skills; Spotpass Jaffar has Galeforce for no reason.

Their downside of course is no support boost.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    How do you do spotpass stuff? I have the feature turned on. Do I have to make a Mii or something first?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Just go to the wireless menu to find the spotpass content.

Your team also gets randomly uploaded to the net if you have spotpass on and appears in other people's games.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to new thread.

This being my first Fire Emblem game (well, I played the GBA version very briefly), I'd appreciate some kind of beginner's overview of the systems in play. I've played quite a few JRPGs and tactics games, but some things about FE kind of mystify me.

It seems like once these franchises get into their later sequels, they become a little less accessible to newcomers. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, but then again, I'm playing on Casual. Once I have a better handle on how everything works, I'll probably try the perma-death difficulty.

Also, I'll never use auto-battle again after it got Sumia killed *right after* I got her.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've played way too many 4X games to ever ever consider trusting auto-battle for anything. Ever.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular

Your team also gets randomly uploaded to the net if you have spotpass on and appears in other people's games.

Whoa, really? I feel bad for anyone who gets me and sees that they're all low level and gets just decimated. Master Classes all up in here, son!
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I've played way too many 4X games to ever ever consider trusting auto-battle for anything. Ever.

It makes grinding weapons and relationships go a lot faster if you do it against low level troops. I've been using it for that.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »

Whoa, really? I feel bad for anyone who gets me and sees that they're all low level and gets just decimated. Master Classes all up in here, son!

That's actually streetpass - if you've got wireless active, and are near someone who also has streetpass active, you exchange teams

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Ugh, damn it Lunatic.

That's three maps in a row where Severa's died half an hour in, because surprise, this enemy knows Counter. I need to get used to checking enemy skills.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Looking forward to new thread.

This being my first Fire Emblem game (well, I played the GBA version very briefly), I'd appreciate some kind of beginner's overview of the systems in play. I've played quite a few JRPGs and tactics games, but some things about FE kind of mystify me.

It seems like once these franchises get into their later sequels, they become a little less accessible to newcomers. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, but then again, I'm playing on Casual. Once I have a better handle on how everything works, I'll probably try the perma-death difficulty.

Also, I'll never use auto-battle again after it got Sumia killed *right after* I got her.

This post is pretty helpful.

To add on to that, pair up stat bonuses are very affected by the class of the unit that is pairing up with someone. Physical units give strength/defense, mages give magic/resist, fast units give speed. So it can be useful to pair up Vaike with an archer to give them more damage and make sure you kill a flier in one hit, or on a thief/myrmidon/pegasus who will definitely hit twice but maybe not for a lot of damage.

Luck has a small impact on hit, dodge, and avoiding critical hits, and also determines activation rate for some skills.

Skill affects hit chance, your own chance to do critical hits, and also determines the activation rate for a lot of skills (most of them only show up when you're leveling up advanced classes).

If speed is 5 or higher then that unit attacks twice.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I will say even the non-story DLC has lots of pretty hilarious dialog.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    When's a good time to promote characters? I've got a couple who have leveled past 10, but I'm not certain when it would be a good time to change their jobs. Is there a certain point when they stop learning skills with their current job?

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Meloku wrote: »
    Chorazin wrote: »

That's actually streetpass - if you've got wireless active, and are near someone who also has streetpass active, you exchange teams

I knew about StreetPass (my Army will run rampant through PAX East mwahahaha) but he said SpotPass, and that would be awesome if your army showed up in friends games through that.
    When's a good time to promote characters? I've got a couple who have leveled past 10, but I'm not certain when it would be a good time to change their jobs. Is there a certain point when they stop learning skills with their current job?

If you're impatient, I've done it between 10 and 15. If you want max stats, level 20. I've regretted not waiting to 20 for the ones I got impatient on, they really do level quick when you use them a lot.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I will say even the non-story DLC has lots of pretty hilarious dialog.

The first time, yes. But man, when grinding the XP or gold maps, having to go through their dialogue once for each character got old fast.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular

The second skill is always level 10 for unpromoted classes, and 15 for promoted classes and special classes like manakete/taguel/dancer.

You will level up quicker and get higher stats in the mid-term by leveling up more in a base class, but you'll get a pretty significant immediate stat boost and get to promoted class skills quicker by promoting.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Ugh, damn it Lunatic.

That's three maps in a row where Severa's died half an hour in, because surprise, this enemy knows Counter. I need to get used to checking enemy skills.

Counter is kinda bullshit in this one. On an enemy's turn, it means they can seriously maim any of your units in exchange for one axe user. If they're also a reinforcement spawn, you can lose someone with absolutely no mistakes on your part

Which makes it all the sweeter when someone like
    Lucina
    just rips one to shreds, and then survives the damage, recovers with a health leaching ability, and still murders half the enemy army.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to eventually pair Donnell with Nowi in hopes of winding up with a dragon god.

And then throw the avatar into the mix...

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Short version: it depends.

Long version: if you have a specific plan for a unit that relies on it getting several skills from different classes, use your class changes early and often. If you mostly plan to keep the character in that promoted class, then wait until 20. Keep in mind you can also reclass a max level promote back to the level 1 promoted class to get more level-up stat boosts.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm tempted to eventually pair Donnell with Nowi in hopes of winding up with a dragon god.

And then throw the avatar into the mix...

The Donnel/Nowi paring for me resulted in a manakete with all of their stats maxed.

• Options
    Well, my Hard run is off to an inauspicious start. The Prologue mission, I'm doing great, everything's working well, I never even used Freddy.

And then my Avatar eats a crit from the final boss for exactsies.

I mean yes, an 8% crit chance isn't outside the realm of possibility, but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u613pJSLcfk

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Long version: if you have a specific plan for a unit that relies on it getting several skills from different classes, use your class changes early and often. If you mostly plan to keep the character in that promoted class, then wait until 20. Keep in mind you can also reclass a max level promote back to the level 1 promoted class to get more level-up stat boosts.

The only issue I have right now is that I have no indication if switching a character's job will make them better or worse than the job they have now, so I don't want to choose poorly.

Can the decision be reversed if I don't like it? Do they keep their levels and skills if they roll back?

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

The only issue I have right now is that I have no indication if switching a character's job will make them better or worse than the job they have now, so I don't want to choose poorly.

Can the decision be reversed if I don't like it? Do they keep their levels and skills if they roll back?

Stats and skills are retained, and you will have no problem acquiring class-change items.

Levels are not retained, but they're mostly irrelevant. They don't factor into combat at all.

The only reason you might want to avoid promoting early on is that promoted units gain less exp. But this is not such a big factor (except arguably on Lunatic), and exp is a limitless resource.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    Using a Seal will revert the class to level 1.

I really wouldn't worry about whether it makes them "better" or "worse" because ultimately it's irrelevant. The only thing that really matters are your stat caps, the maximum stats your character can achieve in a class, and you don't need to be concerned with that until the endgame anyway. You'll keep all the skills you gained, but typically using a Second Seal will lower a few stats (but not the caps).

The biggest disadvantage to switching around a lot since there is no limit to the number of Seals you can purchase is that switching will slow down your leveling some, but in Normal or even Hard it's not much.

Just switch to classes that look fun. I suggest you have at least one healer class and one flier though. If you have no idea, I suggest making another Knight, because they're awesome and take no damage from anything.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I used a second seal on a character I got at level 10, turning her into a level 1 Thief. All her stats went down which worried me at first. Then I remembered that I'm going to get 20 more levels of stat gains which will easily overcome the negatives. Plus she has good stats already and a bunch of skills from her other classes.

Long story short, don't sweat it. You can promote anytime you want and it won't hurt you in the long run. Short term yeah, but that will get fixed quickly.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    You do get random SPOTPASS teams each day; they always have a My Unit character leading them. They might be from a pre sorted list but they could also be from real people though I've seen no names weird enough yet.

This discussion has been closed.