As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] PROTOTYPE [Part 15: Two Tickets & One Thousand Suns]

1235»

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gosh these are hilarious.

I'm a few videos behind! I must watch.

But not right this moment.

<3 Morninglord.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay Morninglord, you have finally convinced me to reinstall Prototype. Fun times :D
    I am actually surprised how easy the movement gets with a little practise (and some movement tutorials by certain people :P)... The last time I played it I had major difficulty using the airdash and diveroll properly, but thanks to you I've got the hang of it now.

valgomir on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't seem to get rid of my hives any longer.

By which I mean, I can't damage hives, I'm a little bit before destroying the armored one, does that make a difference?

It's quite annoying.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't seem to get rid of my hives any longer.

By which I mean, I can't damage hives, I'm a little bit before destroying the armored one, does that make a difference?

It's quite annoying.

Those are the ones the thermobaric tank has to blow up. They're darker red. Go find another one.

If you want to avoid them keep to the south, since the mission takes place in the north end of the island.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Poo! How silly. I was wondering though. Tis a little irritating, hives break up farming hunter towers for wo, and they seen to be a little denser in the north.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Try some of the later events to break it up. They do give decent EP. WOI also give you a nice little chunk.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh I have, but towers are so much faster than even the most rewarding events I've got to. They're fun though.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Teehee. Hammerman squish.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 12.5: WOI 8-9 & Turret Surfin Muscle Mass

These two vids are organised by their proximity to each other in the web of intrigue screen.

WOI 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8UKpYti6A

WOI 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZ3NMoFvSU

Muscle Mass (demo/tute)

Watch this first. Sorry about the letterboxing, it's cause youtube changed their settings and shit since I uploaded it ages ago. Most of my old vids have it now when they were fine before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peYRa4givCM

Turret Surfin

This is the new video I made for this update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQrPbjSbf4

This is more a demonstration than a how to. I'm assuming you guys can pick up what I'm doing by now.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 13: The World Set Free + Things to Come + On Instinct

I nearly messed up badly here because I forgot something important. I'll put the explanation after the vid. Go ahead and watch it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqc7eWj17_4

Why:
    You can't go too far away from the pump when it is "under attack" because if you reach the point that everything despawns the damn thing starts taking huge chunks of damage over time. Much more than if you just stayed at ground level near it. So I should not have tried for those big bulletdives on the packs of hydras. Instead, just do spike graveyard devastators in the middle of them to help out the tanks. I was trying to be too fancy and it nearly cost me the mission. I saw this while editing and remembered that I knew this before but forgot.
    This is a case of do what I say not what I did. Sorry. :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow... You weren't kidding when you said you nearly failed the mission.

A good sneeze would've taken the pump out if you hadn't gotten to the destination when you did.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I actually failed it before as well. I hadn't played it in a long time and just didn't notice the problem.
    If I'd stayed at ground level and just done spikes it wouldn't have gotten to half health. So dumb.
    At the time I was basically panicking. I couldn't work out why it was taking so much damage, or why it had failed the last time. Both times I was up high and it was losing chunks I was watching the map, on the other end of the screen, so I could get the dive right.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 14: Shock & Awe + The Last Man

First tho lookey who I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXUYP3-KccQ

Well wasn't that fun?

Here, have some explosions to go with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UxdQoF1vwI

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 15: Two Tickets and One Thousand Suns.

I have three things to apologise for here.
    1). It's late. I'm sorry.
    2). I intended to have some WOI and some interesting freeroam stuff from in between part 14 and part 15 but I just don't have the time to pick through two 40 minute files. I'll have to upload those later.
    3). I don't talk in the credits, resulting in a long swathe of boring silence. If you are sane, you'll skip from 24:00 to 27:50. It's mostly silence. You'll know what I mean when you get to that point in the vid. Unless you like credits. In which case go nuts.

With that out of the way, here is the last story update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lKmwPuoII

More updates will be incoming, intermittently, with particular focus on WOI. I'll also finish the guide in my own time. I'm very busy right now, I'm glad this was about as long as I was hoping it would be. The most important part of this lets play is done.

I hope you guys enjoyed watching it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great job, and thanks for doing the LP.

It was actually really interesting seeing someone who's really good playing the game.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've really enjoyed this LP. As Lalabox says, it's great to see it played by someone who really knows what they're doing.

Many thanks in particular for putting in the effort to show us all the tricks that can be pulled off. They'll be put to good use when I finally get around to nicking my brother's copy of this for the Xbox and having another playthrough.

Here's hoping you don't make us wait too long for the LP of The Force Unleashed you said you were going to do.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The story of this game is just... wow

so incoherent and dumb haahaha

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. As a passive experience it makes no sense.
    It's meant to be treated as a conspiracy theory, where you go around hunting WOI and working out what happened.
    Once you have everything and put it together, it makes sense and stops being incoherent.

But since you have to be actively doing this, as a presented story for people to sit down and watch without any active puzzle solving or such on their part, it's like being presented with a pile of jigsaw pieces and no picture to show you how to put it together. Without the motivation to sit down and put it together it just gets dismissed as a mess.

I think it was an interesting experimental approach to take but it doesn't work as the primary story. I mean, all the major plot points in the main story are foreshadowed with WOI that unlock before you start that mission. Often they'll appear in the previous arc. I was getting WOI that mentioned Bloodtox back while I was trying to save Dana, for example. Some of them are redundant as well, showing you the same thing with a bit of extra information. That sort of thing needs to be presented as a side story.
    this is the approach they are taking in prototype 2, interestingly. They've realised this problem, so there will be two stories. The A main story, presented as a proper story with everything self contained, and the B side story that will be the conspiracy you can hunt down.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's more the whole "I'm a psychopath anyway but now I'm also a virus who knows I'm a virus but FUCK IT I care about new yorkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk"

I kept expecting something awesome to be revealed but it never was. And the final boss is kind of a letdown. Maybe prototype 2 will address these things.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like that he is conflicted and weird. He's also being manipulated the whole time. It's not coherent, but he isn't a coherent character by design. He's a really confused horrible monster thing. I think it would have been really strange for him to have a sense of purpose or clear idea about what he wants to do. The only line that felt really strange was the one where he cursed taggart. The whole of the last mission where he is yelling at him I took to be him deliberately freaking out his enemy to get him to run. You know, like the big scary monster thing yelling at you as he comes to eat you.

I liked the final boss because it was like "WTF LIES THE WHOLE TIME" and also "so this is what it's like for the enemies to deal with disguise powers".

It is absolutely no surprise to me that he went alien strange in 2. He's a crazy schitzophrenic thing with no real central "self". There's no real "him" to point to and say "You are being different from normal" because there isn't a normal mercer.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's some magical coherent mercer in this game that makes sense. He doesn't make sense via any conventional means of character analysis. I just think that was the point. (I'm not saying you have to like it either. :P)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But even then, the story was pretty badly told. Like the combat, there may be some brilliant ideas in there, but the way it's presented is pretty unfocused. Just having a few, really brief cutscenes before and maybe after each mission doesn't go a long way to making a good story.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Given that I already said basically the same thing a couple of posts back so I don't think its physically possible to agree more. :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They should have given him some parents so he could go my parents are DEADDDDDDDDD

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They should have given him some parents so he could go my parents are DEADDDDDDDDD

Why was I forced to EEEEAAAATTT THEEEEEMMMMM NOOOOOOOO

I love that the developer mentioned Mercers horrible emo when he talked about Heller. Something like how Mercer was all "Aw mannnn I'm alex Mercer I've got god powers this sucks".
    Whereas Heller is gonna be all "Holy shit this is awesome I'm god FUCK YEAH LETS KILL SHIT"

Morninglord on