Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E PbP] War of the Burning Sky OOC (Serious Revelations! Seriously!)

11214161718

Posts

  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can Arcana be used to try and disable the trap? Or is it straight Thievery?

    Illianthar on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    Can Arcana be used to try and disable the trap? Or is it straight Thievery?

    It says thievery only, but since the AP was written before the DMG2 (and before the PHB2 barely came out), I think I'll allow it, with the reasoning behind it being that it's a trap made by magic (and by that logic, a wizard did it).

    Same DC though (DC 15).

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, so I can help out with trying to disarm the box...however there are only 3 of us upstairs w/ the elf, so if Dorn and I are focusing on the box, that leaves Titania alone w/ the elf.

    So I think I'll try an assist w/ the diplomacy this round, and hopefully that negates the need for disarming the box. Turanos, you might want to delay until after Larion and the Solon go (unless the check bombs), and then either disarm the trap or just come back in and whup up on the guy again.

    Does that work as a plan, or does anyone else have another idea?

    Illianthar on
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That works for me.

    Turanos on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Summer's fighting the Solon till something changes. :)

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Swain's not close enough to hit the target @F3, so I'll default him to F4.

    Post incoming, after I receive the IMG tags from Illianther.

    TiamatZ on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ooooo.... Torrent's getting a spanking when this is over!

    Edit: Laugh, I just noticed Healing Word isn't actually classified as Divine.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Turanos wrote: »
    Regarding the box, it really does seem like this is all a massive misunderstanding that might be fixable with some smart words and decent diplomacy rolls. Sadly Dorn doesn't have much in the way of charisma.

    True, I think I'll give diplomacy a shot when my turn comes around and see if we can't work out a deal that involves us not having to kill this guy and the solon. I mean that one solon down there, he's kind of a prick, flashing his lights in your eyes and all. But the other one? I kinda liked him. :)

    Made my Aid Another check, 22, so you can add +2 to your roll when you make it, and I'll write up my post after you've done yours. Here's crossing my fingers and hoping it works!

    Illianthar on
  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    *facepalm* My actual diplomacy roll only gave us 17, your aid another check was 5 higher.

    And then I only got a 7 on my insight check. Not a good time to be getting poor rolls. :(

    squishy-blob on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, why can't we just kill everyone! Diplomacy is for the weak.

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, why can't we just kill everyone! Diplomacy is for the weak.

    That's the spirit, Traorin! I say we wait until the elf is almost willing to work with us, then run in the room screaming and kneecap him!

    Bp1580 on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Though the DCs regarding Diplomacy aren't shown in the PHB, I've decided it be based on the Intimidate rules (whereas Intimidate works on bloodied, opponents, Diplomacy should theoretically work on non-bloodied targets; after all, it's not like you'd be friendly with the guy that just stabbed you, right?).

    If so, it's the Target's will defense (14) +10 (due to him being hostile) = DC 24.

    So in this case, Titania's Diplomacy didn't work.

    Will post results regarding her insight check now...

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh well, it was worth a try.

    Ok Turanos, looks like we're going to beat him down. Have fun!

    Illianthar on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, regarding Titania: You took two skill rolls. Normally, each would be considered a standard action. But, I generally houserule it so that it is only a minor action, provided your trained in it. Since I see that you were trained in both, it's considered two minor actions, and a Ready action is considered a Standard Action.


    Ergo: You cannot make a Ready Action

    Edit: Oh wait, you can. Just saw the actions in PHB pg. 268. You can make a Ready Action (standard) and two minor actions.

    ...

    Carry on.

    TiamatZ on
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would someone mind posting the long jump rules for me? I've unfortunately no way to access them here and I've never used them before.

    Turanos on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Long Jump: Part of a move action.
    ✦ Distance Jumped Horizontally: Make an Athletics check and divide your check result by 10 (don’t round the result). This is the number of squares you can leap across. You land in the square determined by your result. If you end up over a pit or a chasm, you fall and lose the rest of your move action.

    ✦ Distance Cleared Vertically: The vertical distance you clear is equal to one-quarter of the distance you jumped horizontally. If you could not clear the vertical distance of an obstacle along the way, you hit the obstacle, fall prone, and lose the rest of your move action.

    ✦ Running Start: If you move at least 2 squares before making the jump, divide your check result by 5, not 10.

    ✦ Uses Movement: Count the number of squares you jump as part of your move. If you run out of movement, you fall. You can end your first move in midair if you double move (PHB page 284).

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Also, regarding Titania: You took two skill rolls. Normally, each would be considered a standard action. But, I generally houserule it so that it is only a minor action, provided your trained in it. Since I see that you were trained in both, it's considered two minor actions, and a Ready action is considered a Standard Action.


    Ergo: You cannot make a Ready Action

    Edit: Oh wait, you can. Just saw the actions in PHB pg. 268. You can make a Ready Action (standard) and two minor actions.

    ...

    Carry on.

    For Aid Another, which is listed as a Standard Action. If we're doing it as a skill check, does that also count as a Minor Action? Or since it's not a straight skill check, but a different action, is it still a Standard?

    Illianthar on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Also, regarding Titania: You took two skill rolls. Normally, each would be considered a standard action. But, I generally houserule it so that it is only a minor action, provided your trained in it. Since I see that you were trained in both, it's considered two minor actions, and a Ready action is considered a Standard Action.


    Ergo: You cannot make a Ready Action

    Edit: Oh wait, you can. Just saw the actions in PHB pg. 268. You can make a Ready Action (standard) and two minor actions.

    ...

    Carry on.

    For Aid Another, which is listed as a Standard Action. If we're doing it as a skill check, does that also count as a Minor Action? Or since it's not a straight skill check, but a different action, is it still a Standard?

    Aid Another is still considered a standard action, since you could use it to 'aid' a PC's attack roll as well as a skill check. Last thing I would want is for everyone to post Aid Anothers as Minor Actions all over the place.

    TiamatZ on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just waiting on Turanos' turn.

    TiamatZ on
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Post is in with a bit of a delay because I've had no chance to use the net for long enough to put a proper post together. Sadly there's no nice formatting or colours or initiative tracker because it's all too bloody difficult when using a phone. I'm back in three days, so at most I'll probably have to do one more post this way.

    Turanos on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Post is up. Guess it's all up to Titania to stop him!

    TiamatZ on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My rolls suck!

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm listed in the "Up Next" field, however If I used a readied action I don't actually get to go again this round do I? Isn't my next action at that new initiative point next round?

    squishy-blob on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes indeed. So you'll only go next round along with Traorin and Swain.

    TiamatZ on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sent the images to Illi. Once he sends the image tags, round 7 will begin.

    Oh the suspense! Titania will take her round along with Swain and Traorin this round. Let's hope the others will stop the elf before he gets away...

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uploaded Images, and sent the URLs to you TiamatZ.

    Couple of tactical questions:

    I have a power that uses forced movement (slide). Can I slide the elf through the locker squares, or do I have to treat the locker squares like walls, and move around them?
    - Additionally, if they're not treated as walls, can I move diagonally past the corner of them?

    The Fly rules indicate that you crash if you are knocked prone. The Solon can hover, and the hover rules don't say anything to contradict that. Can the Solon be knocked prone?

    Illianthar on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    Uploaded Images, and sent the URLs to you TiamatZ.

    Couple of tactical questions:

    I have a power that uses forced movement (slide). Can I slide the elf through the locker squares, or do I have to treat the locker squares like walls, and move around them?
    - Additionally, if they're not treated as walls, can I move diagonally past the corner of them?

    The Fly rules indicate that you crash if you are knocked prone. The Solon can hover, and the hover rules don't say anything to contradict that. Can the Solon be knocked prone?

    1) Lockers are treated as walls.

    2) Regarding Flying Rules (note the bolded parts):
    FLIGHT
    Flight follows the basic movement rules, with the following clarifications.
    ✦ Fly Speed: To fly, a creature takes the walk, run, or charge action but uses its fly speed in place of its walking speed. A creature that has a fly speed can also shift and take other move actions, as appropriate, while flying.

    ✦ Moving Up and Down: While flying, a creature can move straight up, straight down, or diagonally up or down. There is no additional cost for moving up or down.

    ✦ Falling Prone: If a creature falls prone while it is flying, it falls. This means a flying creature falls when it becomes unconscious or suffers any other effect that knocks it prone. The creature isn’t actually prone until it lands and takes falling damage.

    ✦ Remaining in the Air: A flying creature does not need to take any particular action to remain aloft; the creature is assumed to be flying as it fights, moves, and takes other actions. However, a flying creature falls the instant it is stunned, unless it can hover.

    ✦ Landing: If a creature flies to a surface it can hold onto or rest on, the creature can land safely.

    ✦ Terrain: Terrain on the ground does not affect a flying creature if the terrain isn’t tall enough to reach it. Because of this rule, flying creatures can easily bypass typical difficult terrain, such as a patch of ice on the ground. Aerial terrain can affect flying creatures.

    I'm going to assume that if a hover creature is knocked prone, it lands safely onto the ground. Once it stands (floats?) up, it's not prone anymore.

    TiamatZ on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also: Post is up! Let's finish this!

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One last question. My Living Missile power allows me to make a minor action. There's an effect which reads "Before the secondary attack, you slide the primary target 10 squares"

    Based on where Larion is at, I'd like to slide him 10 squares, but at the end of that movement, the only creatures that would be adjacent to him would be my allies (whom I would rather not attack). Can I take the effect, and forego the attack? If not, can I slide him less than 10 squares and then, since there wouldn't be any targets available, not get the attack?

    Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get it right :)

    Illianthar on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couldn't you slide him K5, J5, I5, H6, H7, H8, G9, F9, E9, D9 and hit the Solon?

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    One last question. My Living Missile power allows me to make a minor action. There's an effect which reads "Before the secondary attack, you slide the primary target 10 squares"

    Based on where Larion is at, I'd like to slide him 10 squares, but at the end of that movement, the only creatures that would be adjacent to him would be my allies (whom I would rather not attack). Can I take the effect, and forego the attack? If not, can I slide him less than 10 squares and then, since there wouldn't be any targets available, not get the attack?

    Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get it right :)


    Unfortunately no, you'll have to hit a secondary living target with that power. It's living MISSILE after all :P

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skarsol wrote: »
    Couldn't you slide him K5, J5, I5, H6, H7, H8, G9, F9, E9, D9 and hit the Solon?

    Unfortunately you can't move diagonal past the corners of walls, so that adds 2 squares.

    Anyone want to volunteer to get hit by an elf? Otherwise I can just leave him where he is, but slowed

    The attack is vs Reflex at +4, and does 2d6+4 on a hit and you're knocked prone. 1/2 damage on a miss

    Illianthar on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I guess L6, L7, K8, J9 -> D9 is out too? I have a hard time figuring out how the locker things interact with the squares.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skarsol wrote: »
    So I guess L6, L7, K8, J9 -> D9 is out too? I have a hard time figuring out how the locker things interact with the squares.

    Yeah,I just assumed there was a corner there around J8 or so, though I'll let TiamatZ rule on that.

    So any of those path options work for you, DM? Or can he make Acrobatics checks to not be slammed into the lockers :)

    Or maybe I can choose one of the lockers as my secondary target, and try and break it, thereby triggering the trap with him as its target also? :twisted:

    Illianthar on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    skarsol wrote: »
    So I guess L6, L7, K8, J9 -> D9 is out too? I have a hard time figuring out how the locker things interact with the squares.

    Yeah,I just assumed there was a corner there around J8 or so, though I'll let TiamatZ rule on that.

    So any of those path options work for you, DM? Or can he make Acrobatics checks to not be slammed into the lockers :)

    Or maybe I can choose one of the lockers as my secondary target, and try and break it, thereby triggering the trap with him as its target also? :twisted:

    I'd probably prefer the former, since even with a critical hit, you won't put a dent on those lockers (Break DC of 30!)

    As for the check, a normal 1d20 roll will suffice. On a 10 or higher, he doesn't take damage from the throw/landing/hurl, but is still shifted towards where you want him.

    TiamatZ on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, after much discussion, Larion has decided (unwillingly) to join the rest of the group by the Solon.

    Oh, and I'm going to use a Free Action to close my eyes when someone whacks the Solon and kills it.

    Illianthar on
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just noting that I thought that the 6 HP Dorn was on before Summer's HW was including the 5 temp, I thought it was 1 real and 5 temp HP, was that right or not? I was basing my post on that idea so he has 23 total HP, 18 real and 5 temp but he may have more or less if I was reading that wrong. It likely doesn't matter too much at this point in the fight but as I'm still new to the game I'm not sure how we're noting this all so it's readable.

    Turanos on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TiamatZ has been putting the temp hp as +X after the total. I think your +5 got burned off awhile ago, so you should be at all real HP now.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    whoever finishes off Larion should choose to knock him unconscious instead of kill him. We're going to need to know where Rivereye was taken, so we can go rescue him next (since the assassin's buddies have already made off w/ the intelligence we were trying to get)

    Illianthar on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The gods of the dice have abandoned me!

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
Sign In or Register to comment.