As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Car Wont Start

piLpiL Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi everybody. Having some trouble and hoping you can help!

2009 Hyundai Sonata
- Doesn't respond to keychain (unlock, lock, alarm, etc), must unlock in door.
- Interior electronic locks do not function
- Turning key to first click produces no effect. Turning key to second click produces no effect.
- Tried jumping the car. Interior lights still did not work; no effect.
- None of the visible fuses have failed.
- Trunk had been open when I checked it.

Are there any ideas of what could be wrong? My first instinct was the battery, but I assume something electronic would have functioned during the jumping. Second instinct is some security feature that switched my car into a brick, but as far as I'm aware, turning the key in the lock should fix that.

The third cause I could think of is a failed starter switch--however wouldn't the power locks/lights still work in this event?

piL on

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you're battery is really REALLY dead, sometimes nothing turns on at all. This happened to me once; we took the battery out of my car and hooked it up to someone else's for a bit to let it charge enough to actually do something.

mightyjongyo on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If possible, take the battery out and take it to a parts store to have it checked. They can quickly determine if it's bad and not so quickly fully recharge it if its not.

wmelon on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh wow, thanks for the advice guys! Good to get some feedback about the battery cause, and wmelon: I just checked with an O'Reilly's two and a half miles down the road and found out that it's free for them to check the battery.

piL on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, most parts stores will do things like check your battery/alternator, change wiper blades and pull engine control unit trouble codes for free.

wmelon on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can also get a friend and bang on the starter motor with a hammer/wrench while your friend tries to start it. If it works, you need a new starter motor. Usually cheap and very easy to replace on your own. Most only have 3 bolts to deal with.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    You can also get a friend and bang on the starter motor with a hammer/wrench while your friend tries to start it. If it works, you need a new starter motor. Usually cheap and very easy to replace on your own. Most only have 3 bolts to deal with.

He isn't even getting any power to the starter or anything. The battery is dead. There is no more juice in there to even make the lights turn on or use the power locks or anything. That was all stated in the OP. This would be great advise if he was having other issues such as it not turning over.

L Ron Howard on
  • dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The other thing would be if it is simply the connection to the battery rather than the battery itself. If the battery comes back fine, that would be my guess.

dzenith on
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Could be something as simple as corrosion on the cables. Corrosion will prevent a jumpstart, as well as prevent voltage from the battery. Don't whack the starter, has nothing to do with your problem. You can clean a battery terminal rather easily with a wire brush. If you're stuck without one, you can actually use Coca Cola to clean off corrosion.

badpoet on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Battery was dead. I had no noticeable corrosion, but I think my friend has faulty jumper cables :)

I just paid a tow truck to jump me instead. It was $35. Thanks for the advice everybody!

piL on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You should probably go get that battery checked and make sure you don't need to replace it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yep, get it checked and also make sure you have all your interior lights turned off (glovebox too).

badpoet on