As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat woes ... loosing hair, no discernable reason, I feel horrible

MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
About a couple months ago our 2 year old cat got, as far as we could tell, a hot spot on the insides of his legs. Sprayed with a product that was basically medicated water specifically for hot spots, and it seemed to relieve the itching.

Then a few weeks later, it all went to hell. His skin started acting like he was going through some kind of allergic reaction. Also at that point we noticed he had fleas, and immediately treated him with Frontline (which we've used before on him) and that got rid of the fleas. We suspected it was food; we feed him a grain-free food, and he has occasionally eaten some of the roommate's cat's food but he's been doing that for months before this. We thought maybe he's been sneaking off to neighbors houses and eating god knows what (he is a pig) so he's been in the garage since late December, more recently with a cone on his head almost 24/7.

I feel horrible. I don't know what to do. Frankly, I'm hesitant to take him to a vet because we really can't afford the costs right now, and without expensive tests, how much can they tell me besides 'it's probably allergies'. Which I don't think it is. Also, he's losing weight, and he's been treated for tapeworms but dammit I'm at my wit's end on how to make him better. Do any of you cat guys or gals have any experience with something similar? I've also been advised to give him Benadryl daily, but I want to verify if that's safe and dosage amounts and stuff. I know I really should take him to a vet, but at the same time I'm leery of having to go through a bunch of hoops for something that won't even solve the problem. Might, might not.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
MetroidZoid on

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are a gazillion possible causes for the itching and weight loss, from allergies to parasites to cancer. In my opinion you really need to take him to the vet if you can find a way to afford it. Some of the links and information here might be helpful for finding affordable veterinary care.

edit: at the very least, call the vet. That shouldn't cost you anything.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I should at least do that, and will tomorrow.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you know how he's losing hair? Like, is he chewing it off or is it just falling out or what?

LadyM on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Take a look for vet clinics in your area as well, or if one of the local vets does clinic hours.

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It may be a thyroid or adrenal gland problem. Itching and hair loss is one thing, but weight loss is really worrisome. Testing for problems like these usually involves blood and urine testing, and maybe an abdominal ultrasound. The nice thing is that you can spread it out a bit. If you can afford around $100, you can afford some very basic blood work that will assure you that your cat isn't in immediate danger of becoming very ill (organ failure, infection). Tell your vet exactly what your financial limits are, in dollar terms and they should be able to work with you.

HK5 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    Do you know how he's losing hair? Like, is he chewing it off or is it just falling out or what?

I think it's a combination of both. He chews at his skin a lot, probably because its so dry from him not being able to clean himself.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    It sounds a lot like an adrenal gland disorder, like Cushing's syndrome. I had a dog that developed Cushing's and had a lot of those symptoms. It could be allergies, but it could be something more, and you just won't know unless you take him to a vet. :/ It's frustrating, but you're probably going to have to do it, and the sooner the better. Even if it's just an allergy, the vet might have ideas on narrowing down exactly what the allergy is that you haven't considered.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vet, stat. If there's something wrong with your pet, and you care about them, taking it to a vet is the best option out there. Might be mites, ringworm, or other parasites. Could be more serious. Either way, take it in.

badpoet on