As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Armageddon - The chances of anything coming from Mars... - Out Now

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was kinda weary going into this demo. Guerrilla started off well but eventually I burned out on it, like I did with GTA4 and RDR. There's just too much repetition in those sorts of open world games. You can only do the same four missions around and around before they get kinda old, and you're spending most of your time trucking from one location to another, and there's so many missions dotting the landscape, and your eyes just kinda glaze over after a while looking at each one on that world map.

So I didn't really have any good feelings going into this. But wow, it made a believer out of me. This is now a day one purchase. The snappier, more responsive controls are immediately noticeable and feel great. If you're gonna make a third person shooter, better controls are better. And Volition obviously understood that, because they feel amazingly tight and perhaps even one or two steps beyond Mass Effect 2, which also had great shooter controls.

The weapons also feel good while shooting them, though... I had this issue of not having enough ammo capacity in RFG, and this also kinda seems to be the case in RFA, because that assault rifle runs out really quickly when you're hosing down those aliens hopping around everywhere. Now, I understand that they want you to use the hook gun, where you attach things to other things to kill them, and it does have infinite ammo. I certainly had a lot of fun playing around with it, and I understand they want to encourage you to use it. But after a while... I imagine that's going to get old too, and I'd like to have the option of switching back to a more standard gun like the AR. 36 rounds in the magazine, 144 extra rounds... it's a little light in capacity, especially since it can take close to an entire magazine to kill one alien. They're pretty hardy foes in this game, and you go through a lot of ammo, especially since they hop all over the walls in evasive maneuvers. It's very easy to run out of ammo when you're just using the assault rifle.

The black hole gun was a lot of fun to play with as well, and it seems, at least to me, to be a unique twist on the somewhat standard rocket launcher archetype that you usually find in shooters.

Getting into the Mech and using it for a bit was really damn satisfying. I'd kinda gotten sick of the Mech in Section 8 Prejudice, but this one seems a lot better in comparison. Aiming feels good, machine guns are meaty and last longer before overheating, and the missiles all seek automatically. It's a great sense of heft and security and works well as a nice fun treat after slogging through a few waves of aliens on foot.

The most noticeable new addition is the repair ability which seems to be a sort of take on Singularity's time repair ability, only taken to a new level. It's satisfying and I can obviously see tactical applications in combat, where you'll repair certain sections to move forward, while keeping other sections destroyed to hamper the enemy. Also of course, you could repair cover to hide behind. That could be really interesting. Speaking of cover though, I didn't find any cover mechanic while playing the demo. Did I just miss it, or did they remove it entirely? If so, that's a shame, because there's nothing about having smaller more linear missions that really requires the removal of cover. The new dodge rolls are useful and have their place, but I don't believe their presence should push a cover mechanic completely out of existence.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... fuck, when are they gonna make FreeSpace 3?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But there is a cover mechanic. It's called "walk behind something". :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    But there is a cover mechanic. It's called "walk behind something". :P

Thanks. Thanks for that.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Always glad to be of service.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess what I'm trying to say is... fuck, when are they gonna make FreeSpace 3?

When we live in a universe where Freespace 2 did better than marginally break even. *sigh*

LockeCole on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I only played a bit of the demo and didn't get all the way through, but the whole time it felt like a Gears of War clone. The controls were excellent, the weapons great and visuals quite pleasing, but the one problem is I'm not a big Gears of War guy. I always refer to it as one of the best games out there that I just can't bring myself to care about despite everything they've done right. I know with so many things done so well how can I not like it..... don't know just can't explain it. :?

somebody tell me I'm wrong here, is this another Gears clone? I got to RF Guerrilla late, but loved it a ton. So much I was ready to pick up a sequel on day one, until now.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I only played a bit of the demo and didn't get all the way through, but the whole time it felt like a Gears of War clone. The controls were excellent, the weapons great and visuals quite pleasing, but the one problem is I'm not a big Gears of War guy. I always refer to it as one of the best games out there that I just can't bring myself to care about despite everything they've done right. I know with so many things done so well how can I not like it..... don't know just can't explain it. :?

somebody tell me I'm wrong here, is this another Gears clone? I got to RF Guerrilla late, but loved it a ton. So much I was ready to pick up a sequel on day one, until now.

RF: Armageddon should basically be the same as RF: Guerilla. The only differences are that you're primarily underground as opposed to on the surface and that the EDF troops have been replaced with Martians. Whether that makes it a GoW clone I have no idea, since I've yet to play the GoW games, despite the fact that I've had them sitting in my collection for god knows how long now.

All I can suggest is that you do your best to play all the way through the Demo. If, at the end of it you're still uncertain on whether to get this or not, then you'd probably be best off either waiting for a price drop or giving it a miss.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I played through the demo at a friend's house and I was thoroughly displeased with it. It's just not as much fun as RF:G, I want to cover buildings with explosives and hit motherfuckers with the hammer and use my favorite weapon (truck) to kill hundreds of motherfuckers. Instead I'm left with some generic aliens in some generic tunnels with admittedly cool weapons, with a generic storyline. Meh, I'll pass.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I played through the demo at a friend's house and I was thoroughly displeased with it. It's just not as much fun as RF:G, I want to cover buildings with explosives and hit motherfuckers with the hammer and use my favorite weapon (truck) to kill hundreds of motherfuckers. Instead I'm left with some generic aliens in some generic tunnels with admittedly cool weapons, with a generic storyline. Meh, I'll pass.

just plowing a truck into a building and killing people was great, the only thing that amused me more at times was covering the truck with as many remote explosives as I could, then plow it into a building and detonate for mass mayhem.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, it is in your name

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, no real surprise there :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yea, this was an amazingly effective demo, completely changed my attitude towards this game.

To "skip".

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yea, this was an amazingly effective demo, completely changed my attitude towards this game.

To "skip".

Same. It's so fucking linear that even the magnet gun's hilarity wore off pretty quick once I realized it was just another fucking gimmicky game of whackamole.

I swear, the shooter genre is damn near flatlining dead.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really enjoyed RFG and this game wasn't even on my radar. Then I played the demo, and I almost just straight pre-ordered it after that. I am definitely going to get it.
    Yes, it is more linear and close feeling, but I was pretty much laughing out loud the whole time shooting blackholes and using my [strike]force[/strike] nano-forge powers. Plus I'm all about horde mode style multiplayer.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Finally got around to playing the demo and I have to say I was impressed. It controlled well, the guns were all suitably destructive and so on and so forth. That said, I've cancelled my pre-order on this and I'll likely hold off on grabbing it until a price drop hits.

Why am I doing this if I enjoyed it?

Well, InFamous 2 hits the very same day and quite frankly I'm more excited for that. I figure that it'll keep me occupied for at least three weeks, by which time RF: Armageddon should've had a price drop. May as well save myself a tenner or more as opposed to paying full price for RF: Armageddon and then simply having it sit around unplayed for three or so weeks.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    .::IBA::.ZardoZ.::IBA::.ZardoZ dual What? TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Even though you ignored my text about this very subject, I whole heartedly approve this message.

Also, I want to have your illegitimate man-sex children. This weekend. I'll call you. :winky:

.::IBA::.ZardoZ on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I enjoyed this demo well enough, but it is really damn linear. The best comparison here is like the difference between Crysis and Crysis 2. Sure the linear level setup is decent, but the fun of the previous game was in the options you had at your disposal. Guerilla was a blast because the objective was, "Do something over there. How? You figure it out." Here though because of the nature of the level, something's either directly in your path, which means you don't really have a choice on whether or not to blow it up, or it's on the sides, and breaking it is purely an aesthetic choice/magnet gun fodder.

Hopefully the full game will have more open areas though. When they talked about cutting the open world, I was hoping that meant taking the same sort of city setup and just sticking it in a big cavern instead of on the surface, but otherwise keeping the roaming around and smashing shit however you want the same.

Also, it's been said, but the magic punchy fist is not nearly as awesome as a giant fuckoff hammer of doom. Or a truck.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Are you a PC owner who wants to try the RF: Armageddon demo?

Well, your wish has finally been granted.

You'll need to make an OnLive account, but at least it's finally available.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really wondering what the reception will be for this game. I wasn't terribly impressed with the demo, but I've kept my preorder with Amazon.

SteevL on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The demo was alright. If they wanted to sell this thing though, they should have included a taste of the horde mode instead of this generic corridor level.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked the magnet gun and using the nano forge. Until the shit locked up. I want to have a big space to just launch charges and level buildings.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just ran across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quNatRsrC8Q&feature=player_embedded

Day fucking 1 right there.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ...and there goes any hope I ever had of watching the rest of My Little Pony with a straight face.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just ran across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quNatRsrC8Q&feature=player_embedded

Day fucking 1 right there.

His name is Mr. Toots.

He shits joy and magic and rainbows and murder.

WON'T YOU BE HIS FRIEND

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    *sigh* Not been getting a good feeling about this game. I decided to cancel my preorder. I'll keep an eye on it and pick it up sometime down the road for a lower price, I guess.

edit: This isn't a reaction to the Toots thing, just a general feeling.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The reviews that came out today have been fairly positive. There is way too much love for the magnet gun.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Giant Bomb has it's quicklook up.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-red-faction-armageddon/17-4188/

I gotta say this is living up to all those bad feelings I had about this way back when it was announced to be a linear corridor shooter.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The reviews that came out today have been fairly positive. There is way too much love for the magnet gun.

Positive in that mediocre is technically positive.

I've been hearing the big red flag word in reviews today, and that is "competent".

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know where they got this big idea in their heads that story was something RF fans wanted or needed.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Steam has upped the pre-order bonus...get the previous 3 games, and "The Maul" for The Pyro in TF2.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Red Faction movie's airing on SyFy right now.
    Think they used some FMV from Guerrilla though I can't be sure.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We relaunched msxboxworld over the weekend and it broke aggregation to metacritics and game rankings. Here is the review though: http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/reviews/10500/red-faction-armageddon/review.html

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »

Huh, apparently someone liked Metro 2033.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »

Huh, apparently someone liked Metro 2033.
    The Marauders are sure living a bit more basic then the RF at any rate. BTW, you gotta give the leader of the 'White Faction' credit (I suppose) for sticking to his lie, despite the fact that he knows Jake would tell her the truth.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I did not enjoy the first game. On more than one occasion it made me very, very angry. I'll most likely avoid this second game out of spite.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    I did not enjoy the first game. On more than one occasion it made me very, very angry. I'll most likely avoid this second game out of spite.

This isn't the second game. This is the fourth game.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's pretty bullshit that they have the demo on Online but not on PC.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so, this game came out yesterday

anyone played it and want to tell me how great it is and that it doesn't use GFWL? I may buy it at that point in time

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I look forward to impressions of it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pretty fun - I kind of miss free-roaming between missions, but the storyline is better since being stuck in an open world tends to make a lot of missions samey. The magnet gun is way more fun than it should be. I think one of the ruin modes is basically 'here is a giant open area to destroy in your own time' so that might scratch that itch. Probably take a closer look at that once I actually finish the story.

LockeCole on