As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

House of the Dead 4 - 360?

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Someone happened to mention this in another thread. I hear it's making it's way to the 360, being that the current crop of lightguns have issues (ok they flat out don't work) working with most HD sets, has anyone any idea if they're actually bundling light guns with this?

It'd be suicide not to, no-one wants to play a gun game without a gun. I've done a bit of a search around but, being at work, a lot of sites are blocked.

Will they be applying a similar method as to the Wii? I hope not. Much as Rayman Raving Rabids is fun, it's a different experience to a lightgun, you don't really 'aim' at the screen with the remote, if that makes sense.

I am a bit of a lightgun junkie, I know they're more a niche market but I have the majority of the gun games for PS2. God bless that G-Con.

Anyone any info? Anyone care?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They'd just have to make an IR gun like the LCD Topgun. It requires bars holding 4 IR sensors at the sides of the screen, but it works very well.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    or they could..you know...put it on the wii.

yes. that is a better plan.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sul wrote:

It's on the Sega Lindberg arcade board right now. To say it would be difficult to port to the Wii would be an understatement.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sul wrote:

It's on the Sega Lindberg arcade board right now. To say it would be difficult to port to the Wii would be an understatement.

Eh, ... fuck HOTD4. They need to release the first 3 on the Wii. It can handle those graphics, and remote controls would be sweet.

Dirty on
  • Options
    ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sul wrote:

The Wii Remote is not a lightgun, though. They behave completely differently.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They should just add a "This should be on the Wii" emoticon to this forum so that someone can add it in whenever there is talk about a new game coming out.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ZombieX wrote:
    Sul wrote:

The Wii Remote is not a lightgun, though. They behave completely differently.
    You are right. The Wiimote handles more like a mouse. However, I haven't had a chance to try the lightgun attachment yet.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    They should just add a "This should be on the Wii" emoticon to this forum so that someone can add it in whenever there is talk about a new game coming out.

And one for the DS, too.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

Eh, ... fuck HOTD4. They need to release the first 3 on the Wii. It can handle those graphics, and remote controls would be sweet.
    I have to agree. An uzi? Come on guys.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

Is the third one the one currently on arcade machines? If so, the Wii could never handle it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

Is the third one the one currently on arcade machines? If so, the Wii could never handle it.
    I'm pretty sure it got a release on the first Xbox or something. The Wii could handle an Xbox game.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

I'm pretty sure it got a release on the first Xbox or something. The Wii could handle an Xbox game.

Then I'm thinking of the wrong game. The graphics on the one I played were intense high quality.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

Then I'm thinking of the wrong game. The graphics on the one I played were intense high quality.

That was probably the fourth one, then.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

hod4s4.jpg
    Genesis does what Nintendon't?

Actually, it doesn't look that intensive from the screenshots. Just high res with some decent models. I dunno, probably couldn't handle it without downscaling the graphics.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    House of the Dead was impossible enough with the lightguns, I couldn't imagine it with the Wii controller and my ability to always seemingly have the pointer off screen. Although it shouldn't be as bad, as you'll always {or should} have the remote pointed at the screen the whole game, as long as they don't require off screen loading like the arcade games.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Do gun games work with newer TVs nowadays? I vaguely remember that something was incompatible with something else... or something.

Anyway, I hope they make another Typing of the Dead game out of this.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You'd probably get a crosshair in a Wii version, which would make it easier than the arcade versions but still probably harder than the PC versions (which had a crosshair controlled by mouse).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    endlosnullendlosnull Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, there are so many lightgun games I never got to play back in the day. All the Virtua Cops, Time Crises, HOTDs, Point Blanks, and whatnot. All that Namco and Sega awesomeness.

I understand that the Wii and a lightgun are really different ducks, but I don't why it would be so hard to engineer Wii versions of these games.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The 360 has USB ports.

It has a version of House of the Dead 4 coming to it.

Let's see a Typing of the Dead II (or 4 or whatever you want to call it).

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Sul wrote:

4th was on Lindbergh (P4/GeForce 6800). 3 was on Chihiro (X-Box + more ram). Wii could easily handle 3 ... could handle 4 with some graphical downgrades too.

Also, the Wiimote could be used as a light gun if the game had you go through a calibration process in the beginning.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eh, HotD4 is decent. The uzi makes it quite a bit easier than the first three, though. And it feels like they were aiming more for huge amounts of zombies onscreen rather than the crazy fast pace of the originals.

I love HotD3 to death. The first two were great too. I'd love to see them on the Wii.

Also, I wish I could play HotD4 Special someday. That sounds ridiculous in the best possible way.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't recall HotD 4 looking that impressive beyond some plastic-looking mapping trickery. If they got rid of that and just used normal models I'm sure it could be ported to the wii.

Also, Hotd 2 is the best. 3's bosses have some fucking annoying loopy patterns that are a bitch to hit with the shotgun.

4's "ARMY OF MOTHERFUCKING ZOMBIES" theme is pretty fun though, as it's the first one to give you that "oh shit, they're EVERYWHERE" feeling. Maybe if in the next one you could switch betweeen handgun/shotgun/uzi/grenades ala Time Crisis. Although I do miss having just a pistol standing between you and immenant zombie death. :o

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    I was going to make one - I'm a sad little man, me - but I couldn't figure out a decent way of doing it. Plus it'd be quicker to type "This should be on the Wii" than it would be to type, say, [ img ]http://stuff.dream17.co.uk/sbotw.gif[ /img ] or whatever.

But yes, I'm in full agreement.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Every single arcade version of HOtD4 I've seen was censored and it pissed me fucking off to no end. You play the HOtD games to blow the fuck out of zombies and pick them apart piece by piece, and here I am shooting at zombies that don't bleed until they fucking fall down. No blood, no gore, no dismemberment!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Every single arcade version of HOtD4 I've seen was censored and it pissed me fucking off to no end. You play the HOtD games to blow the fuck out of zombies and pick them apart piece by piece, and here I am shooting at zombies that don't bleed until they fucking fall down. No blood, no gore, no dismemberment!
    i played HOTD4 at a Dave & busters here in omaha, and while i enjoyed the regular shooting zombies bits, FUCK those bosses..

They have an impossible amount of hit me a lot or i smash you shit going on. i know its so i'll play more, but i dont enjoy doing a continue 4 times in quick sucession at $.75 a pop.

let me get some game in for my money you fucker

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There was an arcade with House of the Dead 4 about 5 minutes away by bicycle while I lived in Taiwan. Taking currency conversion rates into consideration, it cost about $0.30 USD a pop. Yes, I spent many hours there. :D

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mighty wrote:
    i played HOTD4 at a Dave & busters here in omaha, and while i enjoyed the regular shooting zombies bits, FUCK those bosses..

They have an impossible amount of hit me a lot or i smash you shit going on. i know its so i'll play more, but i dont enjoy doing a continue 4 times in quick sucession at $.75 a pop.

let me get some game in for my money you fucker
    What I want to know is why they started censoring it now? Is it just a toggleable option on the arcade game?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    For those that mentioned it, House of the dead 3 is available on the xbox. I had it and the light shotgun (The only lightgun I could actually get to work on my tv after trying about 5). The shotgun was actually also a sniper rifle, you attached a load of bits and pieces on and could use it with silent scope. It had a sensor on it that detected when you moved your eye over the sight, when it sense that it zoomed in on the game.

When you could get it to work it was pretty fun but a bastard to get working on most tvs.

Anyway, I digress, Hotd3 was out on xbox but it was pretty butchered from the arcade version. I played the arcade after completing the xbox one and the home version had loads missing. A pretty cool feature that was dropped was you had a light on the end of your gun, in the arcade it lit up wherever you were pointing your gun. No such feature on xbox.

I like my light gun games, if it doesn't show :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In some of the darkened rooms in HotD 3, you definitely have a light.

I know what you mean about trouble getting a gun to work properly with that game. Did you have the seemingly random reload problem where it doesn't detect that the gun is pointed at the screen?

loflo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    loflo wrote:
    In some of the darkened rooms in HotD 3, you definitely have a light.

I know what you mean about trouble getting a gun to work properly with that game. Did you have the seemingly random reload problem where it doesn't detect that the gun is pointed at the screen?

Can't remember that. I had the annoying THIS GAME FUCKING AUTORELOADS WHAT'S THE POINT IN ME HAVING A PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN problem though :)

It utterly flumoxed me that you couldn't turn off auto-reload in hotd3. Oh and yeah, you got the light but it only pointed either in front of you or where you shot. With the arcade machine it pointed wherever you were pointing your gun.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I played HoTD4 recently and I found that shaking the gun to reload was quite annoying.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:
    I played HoTD4 recently and I found that shaking the gun to reload was quite annoying.

Do you HAVE to shake it to reload it because that is seriously dumb?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:

That is pretty tarded. What kind of gun reloads like that?

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A lightgun game for the 360 would make me cream my pants.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:

I wonder if you have to shake it, or if that's just what people do. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the game now, but there used to be one in the arcade that to reload, you basically leaned it to the side. People didn't want to take the time, so essentially shaking it tripped the motion sensor too and reloaded. The way you were supposed to do it kind of made it seem/look like you were reloading a six shooter (I don't know guns, sue me).

Aoi on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There''s a lot of shaking in the game.

Also, I just saw youtube vids of someone acing the entire game.

JJ on