As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Generic 360 ? thread #12883 (games advice)

PoyndexterPoyndexter Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
OK, I recently bought a 360. I currently own Gears of War, Fight Night, and Saints Row (my brother bought me Saints Row, but I really don't care too much for it).

I'm really enjoying Gears of War, even though I suck at it.

What I'm trying to get to here, is what games are you guys playing right now that you enjoy? I want to get a new game this week, but I don't know what's good and what's not.

I'm generally very weary when it comes to consumer opinion over the net, except when it comes from PA.

Mods if this needs to go in H/A then move it please, I was just hoping for a bit of a better response here.

‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
Poyndexter on

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Im very much enjoying Dead Rising, but that game was also about the 1/1 reason I wanted a 360 in the first place. Now I just need to get around to sending my Xbox back to microsoft so they can fix it for me...

Burtletoy on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just got a 360 last weekend, and I've been enjoying Oblivion quite a bit (despite having sunk dozens of hours into the PC version).

Also, Viva Pinata is pretty cool, and Enchanted Arms isn't half bad.

Vincent Grayson on
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lost Planet, I frigging love it.

MarvellousM on
  • Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Friggin Lost Planet. I was having a blast with multiplayer until the AV port on my 360 died. Grooooooooan.

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • mrgenericmrgeneric __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    dead rising is definitely a game you should check out, easily my favourite 360 game.. but not one that i bust out very often after beating it three times.

i recently picked up marvel: ultimate alliance, and it's great semi-mindless fun with some fairly impressive boss battles for the genre. i wouldn't advise you pick it up unless you have a second 360 controller and someone to sit down and play it with, though.. going through the game solo just doesn't seem to be as fun, imo.

based upon the sp and mp demo, lost planet is fantastic. haven't had the chance to pick up the full game yet, though.

also, get some microsoft points and buy geometry wars and assault hero.

mrgeneric on
  • PoyndexterPoyndexter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've heard a lot of good about Lost Planet, but was told that Gears was the better game. I'm still intrigued by the game, but I'm no sold on it yet. Barren and desolate ice waste lands does not sound that entertaining to me.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Poyndexter wrote:
    I've heard a lot of good about Lost Planet, but was told that Gears was the better game. I'm still intrigued by the game, but I'm no sold on it yet. Barren and desolate ice waste lands does not sound that entertaining to me.
    Gears and Lost Planet are really quite different despite both being third person shooters. They're both fantastic but quite honestly I enjoy Lost Planet a little more. Its a little more old school, feels a little less repetitive (probably thanks to the mechs and more open level design), and I generally prefer the art style and design over GoW which felt a little too murky and samey. It has some issues but based on sheer enjoyment I'm loving it. All IMO of course.

MarvellousM on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I friggin hate Lost Planet. Urgh.

Anyway, Rainbow Six Vegas is 10 times the game Gears of War is. The multiplayer is :^: :^: :^:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Viva Pinata is a great game, and you can probably find it for something like $40 if you search hard. It's the best Rare game since their N64 games, sort of like a cross between Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Harvest Moon.

ikillkenny on
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming if you will. I do also have another question, which I probably should have posted in my OP, but here goes:

I'm also a newbie when it comes to HD, as I've just acquired an LCD flat screen. What resolution is going to look better when playing games? My tv supports up to 1080i. So I guess it comes down to which looks better, 1080i or 720p?

Oh, and the LCD's native is 720p, if that helps.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming if you will. I do also have another question, which I probably should have posted in my OP, but here goes:

I'm also a newbie when it comes to HD, as I've just acquired an LCD flat screen. What resolution is going to look better when playing games? My tv supports up to 1080i. So I guess it comes down to which looks better, 1080i or 720p?

720p, though I believe you may need the VGA cable to get that resolution (not 100% sure)

As for games, Rainbow Six Vegas is a must if you play online. Oblivion is great single player game game if don't mind the lack of downloading fan created mods. Normally I would recommend Saints Row, but you've said you don't care much for it. How far in are you? Otherwise, Accault convinced me to pick up The Outfit for $20 but I have yet to try it, and most of my other games I can't recommend as must haves. I'm still on the fence about LOST PLANET, the single player seems meh but the multiplayert is sexcellent, except its hard to find people who know how to play or find a server where everyone doesn't drop out in the first five minutes.

Sanders on
  • electricpirateelectricpirate Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Do you know the native resolution on the LCD? most LCD's have some funky (1366 x 768) resolution and then scale everything to that. If that is the case, you'll probably want to stick to 720p, it'll give your TV less scaling to do.

Also, lot's of movement is generally handled better by 720p, while less moving images look better in 1080i.

As for game recs, do you have an original xbox? if not there is plenty to suggest there.

As for 360 games
    Rainbow six Vegas for Co-op modes
    Oblivion for a hundred hours of well crafted RPG goodness (and some of the best quests in any PRG)
    Dead rising to smash things
    Geometry wars
    Viva Pinata (no demo :()
    Assault Heros
    Outpost Kaloki X

Make sure you use the demo download feature heavily. Almost every big game on the system has a demo.

electricpirate on
    edited February 2007
    Sanders wrote:
    Poyndexter wrote:

720p, though I believe you may need the VGA cable to get that resolution (not 100% sure)

As for games, Rainbow Six Vegas is a must if you play online. Oblivion is great single player game game if don't mind the lack of downloading fan created mods. Normally I would recommend Saints Row, but you've said you don't care much for it. How far in are you? Otherwise, Accault convinced me to pick up The Outfit for $20 but I have yet to try it, and most of my other games I can't recommend as must haves. I'm still on the fence about LOST PLANET, the single player seems meh but the multiplayert is sexcellent, except its hard to find people who know how to play or find a server where everyone doesn't drop out in the first five minutes.

I haven't signed up for Live yet, but that seems to be the direction most people lean when describing games. I can see why, as I've always been a PC gamer with moderate console undertones. The benefits of connectivity are not lost on me. I may get signed up this week.

I think I'm going to rent Lost Planet and see what I think before dropping 65 bucks on it.

As for Saints Row, I really haven't made it that far into it, a couple of hours maybe. I just feel like I've had enough GTA'nessâ„¢ to last a few years.

[edit]
    As for game recs, do you have an original xbox?

I owned an original Xbox for the first year of it's lifespan before it died (fuck you Thompson, and your shitty products). I didn't really get to enjoy any of the Xbox games after the Splinter Cell ('02) era.

But, I'm also a notorious miser, so convincing me to buy older console games may be nigh impossible. I will try to keep an open mind though.

Gah, my code was showing. :oops:

[/edit] :D

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Sanders wrote:
    Poyndexter wrote:

I haven't signed up for Live yet, but that seems to be the direction most people lean when describing games. I can see why, as I've always been a PC gamer with moderate console undertones. The benefits of connectivity are not lost on me. I may get signed up this week.

I think I'm going to rent Lost Planet and see what I think before dropping 65 bucks on it.

As for Saints Row, I really haven't made it that far into it, a couple of hours maybe. I just feel like I've had enough GTA'nessâ„¢ to last a few years.
    Theres a single player and online demo of Rainbow Six up for download on the market place, along with a demo of LOST PLANET multiplayer. Don't believe that one has a single player. So yeah, rent it and make sure you sign up for a free month of gold.

Sanders on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seriously, if you're not taking advantage of XBox Live Arcade, you're really missing out. I can't remember the last time I actually bothered putting a game disk into my system, I'm too busy having fun with retro classics & games that play like retro classic but with modern day visuals and sensibilities.

XBLA games that I enjoy:

Heavy Weapon ($10) - Possibly my favorite 360 game period. Very simple to learn (drive on the bottom of the screen while shooting enemies and dodging attacks), but hard to master. Very addictive. Fully maxed out, your tank has incredible firepower. Great multiplayer co-op either online or in person.

Lumines Live ($15-$30) - Yeah, it's a little expensive compared to the other XBLA titles, but it's worth it. Best puzzle title available with great music that adjusts to how you play. Right now, there's a sale on the game so that you can buy the game plus all of the expansion packs for $25 (normally costs $30).

Mutant Storm Reloaded ($10) - It's a Robotron/Smash TV style overhead shooter. Control your movement with one stick and your shooting direction with the other. Multiple difficulty levels and 89 levels give it good replay value. Oh and apparently a sequel is supposed to come out sometime this year.

Geometry Wars ($5) - Similar to Mutant Storm, but with fewer enemy types and higher paced. Rather than have levels, the goal is to last as long as possible as the enemies keep getting harder and more numerous. I highly recommend at least getting the demo as it gives you a good amount of game time.

Defender ($5), Ms. Pac-Man ($5), Robotron ($5) - Not much to say about these titles. If you liked them in the arcades, you'll probably like them on the XBox 360.

RainbowDespair on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I also recommend Marble Blast Ultra as being one of the best things on XBLA.

ben0207 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sanders wrote:
    Poyndexter wrote:

The component cables that the Premium comes with can do 720 and 1080 but the VGA signal looks nicer.
    The Outfit, as was said, is certainly worth the $20.
    I'm a big fan of Kameo, too. You can find it used for $25. I think it will go down as the most underrated game of this generation.
    Viva Pinata is a blast but I'd suggest renting it first. Certainly not for everyone.
    As for backwards compatible games Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is a must play.

Accualt on
  • JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dead rising is a really good game; if you don't mind a little roughness and inconsistency in presentation and production values it's an amazing game.

Jeak on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Another vote for Oblivion. If its the kind of game you enjoy, then you cant beat it for value for money.

And:
    The component cables that the Premium comes with can do 720 and 1080 but the VGA signal looks nicer.

Is this true?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    I said it, therefor it is true.
    I was running 720p with the component cables before I switched to VGA.

Accualt on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Hmmm, I have both, but am just using component because I was told there was technically no difference.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Fallingman wrote:

Hmmm, I have both, but am just using component because I was told there was technically no difference.

Some people won't notice the difference, others won't have a nice enough TV to show the difference. I only switched because I needed the component input on my TV for something else. When I did switch, though, my wife commented on how much sharper and vibrant the dashboard looked.

Accualt on
  • electricpirateelectricpirate Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    VGA gives you more accurate resolution, so you won't have to up/Downscale on the TV. Though I've heard that the colors can get washed out on some TV/Moniter's though.

You missed out on the last 3 years of the xbox? Go find Ninja Gaiden Black and Psychonauts. Both are super freaking tastic (and BC!) Hell, NGBlack upscaled and AA'd pretty much looks like a next gen game.

Ohh, and I second Kameo, shitty swimming controls but a grrrreeeaaattttt game :).

Char

electricpirate on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, if you like racing games I wholeheartedly reccomend pgr3.

Aim on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dead Rising is fantastic.

GRAW was good.

Oblivion, of course.

I still pop Fight Night Round 3 in the box occasionally.

Most of my use is from the XBLA right now though.... via Ms. Pac-Man. :oops:

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dead Rising can't be mentioned enough times.

Also, PGR3 if you like racers. It's $30 new now too.

bruin on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Like some others here, I'm going to suggest some Arcade love.

Geometry Wars : Retro Evolved - not even open to debate, this is essential. So cheap, and one of my favourite games for years.

Heavy Weapon : Atomic Tank - 4 player survival mode is so awesome. Total chaos.

Also Dead Rising, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Oblivion can all be scored for cheap now (you can even pick up couple in the Play.com 2 for £50 sale at the mo, awesome stuff.)

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i want this system more for xbla than for any game, at least until Mass Effect comes out.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited February 2007
    Alright, I rented Lost Planet. I am incredibly satisfied with it, a lot better game than my puny human brain was imagining. I'm pretty certain I will buy this game.

Thanks for the help guys, if anything else pops into those noggins let me know.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What's funny about the 360 is that I keep telling myself "There's no sense in buying one when I don't have a HDTV to enjoy it on."

And then I remember that I have a nice 17" CRT VGA monitor for use with my DC, that the 360 would compliment nicely.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What's funny about the 360 is that I keep telling myself "There's no sense in buying one when I don't have a HDTV to enjoy it on."
    This is stupid. 360 looks great on an SDTV. Not as good obviously, but still great.

bruin on
    edited February 2007
    Alright, I guess I'm going to buy Lost Planet today and pick up a VGA cable while I'm out. I need to clear up my second component set for my HD DTV box anyways. This just gives me a perfect excuse to buy it.

Thanks for the help, long live General Kenobi.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

And then I remember that I have a nice 17" CRT VGA monitor for use with my DC, that the 360 would compliment nicely.

Prior to getting mine, I had only seen it on a fairly small SDTV, and it still looked good.

Granted, when I first powered on Gears of War on my 56", I just about had a heart attack. I'm almost afraid to even try turning on my PS2 anymore.

Vincent Grayson on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Alright, I guess I'm going to buy Lost Planet today and pick up a VGA cable while I'm out. I need to clear up my second component set for my HD DTV box anyways. This just gives me a perfect excuse to buy it.

Be warned on some sets your colors will look washed out while using the VGA cable.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Balefuego wrote:
    Poyndexter wrote:

Be warned on some sets your colors will look washed out while using the VGA cable.

I'm glad this wasn't just me. I tried VGA and it looked completely washed out. I went back to 720p over component and it was crisp. I have a 720p Sony BRAVIA LCD.

And Lost Planet rocks! I rented it and am having much fun with the single player. I prefer it over Gears of War. The atmosphere and play control are great.

Strato on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Go old school. Go Xbox. Get Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, (it's 10 dollars used.) Trust me, it's worth it, it's backwards compatible, and it's like the best stealth action game ever. You should also definately take a look at Rainbow Six Vegas, the singleplayer and multiplayer are both great.

I didn't really like the singleplayer of Lost Planet, it felt too repetitive to me, but I can see why other people like it.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited February 2007
    I bit so hard, damn it. Gamestop was having a buy 2 get 1 free sale. So I got Chaos Theory, Gaiden Black, and Otogi 2.

I've wanted to play NG since the first time I heard of it, now is my chance.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I had all my console stuff stolen. I'm looking at getting a 360 with my insurance check. How long is the MS warranty these days? Do the newer ones have problems with going dead as well?

Edit: withdrawn. 1 year, and my credit card covers me for another year after that.

Doc on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Soo.. Like... Dead or Alive 4, maybe?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Any way to adjust the text size on dead rising from "illegibly small?"

Because currently I think I got some green stuff from a guy named "blob."

Doc on