As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten Discussion] Elizabeth added to P4A; P4's cast is already dead.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nocturne Hard is nothing.

You want the thrill of death? Play Raidou 1 on Devil Mode.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's like higher level pokemon play, you get fucked if you're weak to something.

I'm not sure what I like more, the fact that you just compared Nocturne to Pokemon, or the fact that it made sense.

langfor6 on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember to keep Pixie around if you're going to do the Amala Labrynth. And you really should do the Amala Labrynth.

I think that fusing her is okay, as long as the entity was originally the Pixie you get in the hospital.

Also: Matador is your Wake Up Call Boss. Make sure you start spamming fusions as early as possible to get a good crew to fight him.

Dracomicron on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember to keep Pixie around if you're going to do the Amala Labrynth. And you really should do the Amala Labrynth.

I think that fusing her is okay, as long as the entity was originally the Pixie you get in the hospital.

Also: Matador is your Wake Up Call Boss. Make sure you start spamming fusions as early as possible to get a good crew to fight him.

Yeah, but be sure you dont fuse her into something rocking, cause she'll change back later >.>

I lost my bro Daisojou that I used for the entire game because I forgot I used that pixie to fuse him.

Mattakuevan on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    langfor6 wrote: »
    It's like higher level pokemon play, you get fucked if you're weak to something.

I'm not sure what I like more, the fact that you just compared Nocturne to Pokemon, or the fact that it made sense.

Why is it surprising? Pokemon ripped off SMT and made a good children-friendly version of the gameplay.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah, but be sure you dont fuse her into something rocking, cause she'll change back later >.>

I lost my bro Daisojou that I used for the entire game because I forgot I used that pixie to fuse him.

...for all of ten minutes until you got a new copy at the Carnival, I'd assume? I never really got this complaint. At most, you'd lose any levels she had since you started your last trip into the Labyrinth.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've never been impressed with the Pixie you get from the Amala Labyrinth. I don't think I'd ever keep her around if I played Nocturne again.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I kept her around for sentimental reasons.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    langfor6 wrote: »

Why is it surprising? Pokemon ripped off SMT and made a good children-friendly version of the gameplay.

No, it ripped off DQ V. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    Demikids is way better than the modern Persona series.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011
    I actually own the GBA one. I like the setup, but there's nothing in game to tell me what's going on. Very hard to figure out what to do since I don't have a manual or anything. I stopped at the first town.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any advice for someone who's just started SMT: Lucifer's Call?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    edited April 2011
    -Never ditch Focus.
    -Pixie is your friend.
    -The blonde gentleman has absolutely nothing but your best interests in heart.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's very obvious who the blonde is.

vagrant_winds on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Always remember that your best friends are colossal dicks, wrong about everything, and must never be trusted under any circumstances.

The Anonymous on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuse monsters so that you have a wide variety of attacks at your disposal. Also, try to avoid having repeated weaknesses. Making use of the elemental system is the only way you are going to maximize your damage. Also, status skills, and buff/debuffs are especially useful in this game.

But have fun with it. By the time you need to be minmaxing (assuming you are playing on Normal), you will have had enough experience with the system to know what to do. But it's pretty open for you to go wild. Just, as I said, make sure to have a wide variety of abilities, and don't try to turn demons into a class, like in other JRPGs. If you put all your buffs and debuffs on one guy, it's going to take way longer to power up. If you put all your healing skills on one guy, stronger enemies will wreck you, and if they die, you are screwed. And of course, you should try to have some damage abilities on everyone. But ultimately, have fun with it. Create guys that look cool. Guys that you like.

The only specific advice I'm going to give you, since specific advice hurts the exploration I talked about, is that once you get to the sewers, you are going to run into a shop that sells a Force Magatama. (Magatama are how you teach your main character new abilities, and Force is one of the elements). Buy that Force Magatama. It will come in handy for the next boss, who can be brutal if you don't have a handle on the elemental system by that point. Also, it teaches you a skill called Tornado, which is incredibly powerful, even if you don't put your main character's points into Magic.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I actually own the GBA one. I like the setup, but there's nothing in game to tell me what's going on. Very hard to figure out what to do since I don't have a manual or anything. I stopped at the first town.

I have the manual and that's pretty much where I stopped too. It really doesn't help.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    I loved DemiKids, but I bought it when it came out(and I bought a GBA for it), so I can't be much help.

Dark is the better of the two.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    Demikids is way better than the modern Persona series.

You have never been more insane then you are right now. At this moment.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    Well, I'd put it slightly above Devil Survivor. That's reasonable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jurg wrote: »
    Fuse monsters so that you have a wide variety of attacks at your disposal. Also, try to avoid having repeated weaknesses. Making use of the elemental system is the only way you are going to maximize your damage. Also, status skills, and buff/debuffs are especially useful in this game.

But have fun with it. By the time you need to be minmaxing (assuming you are playing on Normal), you will have had enough experience with the system to know what to do. But it's pretty open for you to go wild. Just, as I said, make sure to have a wide variety of abilities, and don't try to turn demons into a class, like in other JRPGs. If you put all your buffs and debuffs on one guy, it's going to take way longer to power up. If you put all your healing skills on one guy, stronger enemies will wreck you, and if they die, you are screwed. And of course, you should try to have some damage abilities on everyone. But ultimately, have fun with it. Create guys that look cool. Guys that you like.

The only specific advice I'm going to give you, since specific advice hurts the exploration I talked about, is that once you get to the sewers, you are going to run into a shop that sells a Force Magatama. (Magatama are how you teach your main character new abilities, and Force is one of the elements). Buy that Force Magatama. It will come in handy for the next boss, who can be brutal if you don't have a handle on the elemental system by that point. Also, it teaches you a skill called Tornado, which is incredibly powerful, even if you don't put your main character's points into Magic.

Just building off of this advice a little, try to make sure that you have at least one demon who can use any given elemental attack at all time. Running into a boss (or, indeed, a regular mob... some of them have multiple immunities) that is only vulnerable to fire and not having a fire-capable demon sucks. Similarly, it helps a lot to have someone with immunity (or reflect or absorb) to any given attack type (including physical!), not only because it saves you from taking damage, but the enemy actually loses turns when an attack is negated like that.

Dracomicron on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd put Demikids above Persona 3, for sure. Not sure if I'd put it above 4, but it's about equal.

Demikids really is quite good. And apparently the ones we didn't get are even better.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'd put Demikids above Persona 3, for sure. Not sure if I'd put it above 4, but it's about equal.

Demikids really is quite good. And apparently the ones we didn't get are even better.

What the hell, guys? Seriously? Demikids was CRAP. The storyline was awful, the characters were insipid, the dialogue was Weekly Reader levels of painful. Even the control sucked. The gameplay was basically just super simple SMT demon fusion stuff.

You honestly cannot tell me it was better then Persona 3 unless you're heavily in nostalgia's warm, taloned grip.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011

*brofist

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011

*brofist

emot-argh.gif

Magic Pink on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never was all that interested in Demikids. It looked too much like Pokemon and that was when my pokemon hype was dying down.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011
    It was made to appeal to the Pokemon crowd(irony), so yeah. It's still more indepth than any of their games.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It is? I mean I'm not a hardcore pokemon guy...but when you really get into the mechanics...it is pretty impressive.

Unless you're talking about from a story standpoint.

Dragkonias on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am relatively certain that Pokemon multiplayer beats the shit out of any SMT's complexity.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Duplicate due to the idiotic server issues.

RainbowDespair on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Had one of the DemiKids games (the dark one, I think). Hated it. By far the worst Megaten spin-off I've ever played.

I'd rather play the PS1 version of Persona 1. Yes, I went there.

RainbowDespair on
    edited April 2011
    I played FireRed once. It was boring.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    I think we have an apple and oranges thing here.
    Outside the kid/casual crowd, Pokemon is very much about complex multiplayer and breeding/training up a team.

vagrant_winds on
    edited April 2011
    A Megaten multiplayer would be interesting, but I expect it'd just be people spamming Megidolaon and/or Gaea Rages.

Also, Backside of the TV is in Catherine. :D It's like Vincent's in my P4 party now.

OST unlocks are linked to trophies.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    A Megaten multiplayer would be interesting, but I expect it'd just be people spamming Megidolaon and/or Gaea Rages.
    I don't know how they would make it work, unless they raised the HP caps and banned items and any healing above (Me)diarama.

The Anonymous on
    edited April 2011
    I thought the idea of DemiKids was okay. If someone could explain how to play it properly or make it fun, I might drag it back out again.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was made to appeal to the Pokemon crowd(irony), so yeah. It's still more indepth than any of their games.

Pokemon has the most complex elemental weakness system of any RPG in the history of video games.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited April 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Pokemon has the most complex elemental weakness system of any RPG in the history of video games.

Yup. Admittedly, Shin Megami Tensei is a close second.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Not to mention breeding-specific moves, Natures, IV value stats, different elemental Hidden Power moves, and Effort Value stat training.

vagrant_winds on