As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis 2 thread of [DIRECTX 11 OUT NOW!]

15678911»

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My PC runs the pre-patch version MAXXED OUT at 1080p doing 40FPS.

Specs: Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.3GHz, 4GB ram, Radeon HD6870 1GB, Win7 64bits.

If I turn on everything the patch added, though, it gets very chuggy (fraps stops working).

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

If I turn on everything the patch added, though, it gets very chuggy (fraps stops working).

Hm; I have one of the new sandy bridge quad cores (i7), and 8 GB of RAM with dual 6870's; wonder what kind of milage I'll get.

Still, waiting to see if it goes on sale in the near future.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Hm; I have one of the new sandy bridge quad cores (i7), and 8 GB of RAM with dual 6870's; wonder what kind of milage I'll get.

why don't you just try the PC Demo?

On my system (Sandybridge i7 2600k, 8gigs of ram, 6950 2gig) it was extremely playable/smooth fully maxed out. I'm quite eager to try the full version with the new patch whenever it goes on sale.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »

On my system (Sandybridge i7 2600k, 8gigs of ram, 6950 2gig) it was extremely playable/smooth fully maxed out. I'm quite eager to try the full version with the new patch whenever it goes on sale.

Didn't know that there was one; does the patch have DX11 support too? Is the demo on Steam?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    did you turn the options on?

Oh, the game crashes when loading saves, I'm gonna have to reinstall. Sigh.

Yeah I'm sure I did. I forgot to mention the hit in fps. It's there, but pretty playable for me with, I guess, 30 fps maximum with occasional lag.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Didn't know that there was one; does the patch have DX11 support too? Is the demo on Steam?
    before the game came out there was a multiplayer demo on steam. no dx11 and for all i know it isn't even around anymore so you'll have to find that out (hopefully it's still running)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    redhamuSLAredhamuSLA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, guys. I love C2 and put up HD Crysis 2 Commentary/Gameplay for it. With a severe lack in the number of commentators featuring C2 nowadays, I've decided to focus my channel on just that. My goals are to be helpful by providing some insights on how I play the game, give some general advice & ultimately entertain! I've got a +3.5 kdr, if that kind of thing matters. When you guys get a chance, please stop by! Naturally, I am open to feedback as well.

Hope to see some of you over there. Oh! And my PSN is 'kakapoopoodoodoo'.

Sincerely,

-red

http://www.youtube.com/user/redhamuSLA

redhamuSLA on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The video is a lie. I applied patch 1.9, the high res texture pack as well as the DirectX 11 patch yesterday (and yes, my radeon HD 5870 does support DirectX 11). Right after jumping in I didn't notice any difference in the room I was (Level "Lab rat"), so I jumped outside. You'll see that the "high" resolution textures aren't big at all, rather pixelated and blurry. The Tesselation of DirectX 11 looks like sh*t on walls. It looks somewhat good if you look directly from the front at the wall, but anywhere off and there'll be an outline at the edges over the bricks and the space between, plus the bricks have a low poly count and look bad themselves. The last thing I checked out is the water which doesn't look any different to me. I tried out the example demonstrated in the video, throwing an object (a barrel) into the water and it didn't cause waves.

Really? I can stand in water and if I melee the surface while crouching, it makes waves. I can walk backwards through water and see the small wake left behind me. I'm not seeing the shit quality of the walls, either. I think all three of these patches worked wonders to improve the game.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the 1.8 version is the faster one. 1.0 is shit slow, and 1.9 with all bells and whistles is a lot slower. 1.8 is the sweet spot.

BUT

fucking patch broke the load save game function completely. I can't load a game. Fuck. Gonna have to uninstall, reinstall, run patch 1.8.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, then. I had absolutely zero problems with 1.9/tessellation/hi-res. They motivated me to finally finish the damn game. I actually don't feel like I wasted my money anymore. I'd even go so far as to say I love Crysis 2 now. :D

One thing it has done for me is make me want to play Crysis 1 again. This is the first time I've done so since getting my new monitor (24" Asus LCD) and man...this game is still as drop-dead sexy as the day it came out. What a beauty. Seeing this resource-hog in 1080p for the first time has actually put me on the fence about which Crysis game looks better. No shit.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm fucking with the editor at the moment, being all edity and shit.

Oh right I forgot to mention the editor came out.

Come get some!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Already working on an open forest map in CryEngine 3. It's a delicious editor I must say.
    funb.jpg

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone know if they're doing double XP this weekend since the Decimation map pack just came out? Or is there a calendar schedule I can look at somewhere to see when upcoming double XP weekends are going to be happening? My time is fairly limited so I need to try to maximize my playtime. I don't have time to play this game all the time, so I need to make it count when I do.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Already working on an open forest map in CryEngine 3. It's a deciduous editor I must say.
    funb.jpg

Totally read it that way :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    deciduous

Totally read it that way :P

Ha, that actually works.

ohmygodc.jpg

Glad to be out of the city into open worlds again.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really wanted to make an rpg using cryengine.

Beautiful fireballs :O

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah....that looks a lot more like the Cryengine we know and love. Apparently Crysis (1?) has been rated by the ESRB. I wonder how they're getting that to work, without all the sightline breaking level design tricks that they used in 2. Not to mention the endgame parts, where the ice shader alone killed the top end parts 2 generations ahead of what the consoles have

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah....that looks a lot more like the Cryengine we know and love. Apparently Crysis (1?) has been rated by the ESRB. I wonder how they're getting that to work, without all the sightline breaking level design tricks that they used in 2. Not to mention the endgame parts, where the ice shader alone killed the top end parts 2 generations ahead of what the consoles have

I uh

Yes, Crysis 1 was rated by the ESRB

otherwise it could not have seen release in the US.

Unless you're talking about a Cryengine 3 remake OF Crysis.

which would be pretty cool.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That Crysis rated by the board is because Crytek Korea are working on a port of Crysis 1 for 360 and PS3 to CryEngine 3. I can see it being done, provided they optimise the LOD for the more open areas, re-jig the shaders and stream the texturing. I can see it as being entirely possible.

There is an ice shader in CryEngine 3, but I have yet to try it. Hopefully it is more optimised than the CryEngine 2 version.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    mmmmmhg.jpg

Turns out the ice shader does not want to work and you can't make clouds or Voxel terrain properly. The damn thing needs a patch now.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

I uh

Yes, Crysis 1 was rated by the ESRB

otherwise it could not have seen release in the US.

Unless you're talking about a Cryengine 3 remake OF Crysis.

which would be pretty cool.
    I'm sorry, I meant that it was rated for the PS3, and supposedly some other country also rated it for the xbox

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    262666_10150238854385502_566510501_7166190_192182_n.jpg

269526_10150238854630502_566510501_7166196_3242216_n.jpg

I've been playing around more, you can adjust the lighting model to be much more like Crysis 1's, that is to say much more realistic.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Game is $21 (66% off) on origin right now with promo code c287ddpcef
    http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/pd/productID.225985400

It's a EA Flashdeal so it's only gonna last for an hour if that, managed to pick up a copy jus tnow.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-19-crysis-2-how-crytek-uk-beat-the-hackers

Looks like no more Patches

Crytek recently released a DirectX 11 patch for the PC version of the game, which allows those with powerful computers to ramp up the graphics.

This is the last patch scheduled by Crytek, Tully confirmed.

But the developer promised to dip back into support of the game if a hack emerges that demands attention.

• Options
    CryEngine 3 Google Sketchup exporter now available thanks to some crafty modders.

http://www.crymod.com/viewtopic.php?f=315&t=70997

ce2-levelexport2sm.jpg

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Anyone still playing this on the PC? I upgraded my PC recently and decided to try a beefy FPS. Liking it so far, multiplayer can be a little frustrating since I am low level.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I finished this a couple of days ago myself. I guess it was okay, but not a patch on the original and I probably wouldn't bothered with it if I knew what I would be getting when I picked it up.

On the whole, my complaints would come down to the new suit controls being really awkward to use (I don't think I ever kicked a car, because it takes soooo long for strength mode to engage) and the very uninspiring AI; the enemies didn't act stupidly, just boringly.

I am interested to see what mods come out for this, though, even so I can just admire the graphics some more!

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I bought this game last night, and it won't let me activate. It asks for my CD key, I put it in, it's not valid. I go and activate it on their shitty Origin service, launch it, is asks for the CD key, not valid. After I entered the exact fucking key to activate it on Origin.

Anyone know about this bug?

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wait, does Crysis 2 retail require Origin?

Also, those outdoors maps posted above suffers from the same problem as Far Cry 2, imo: too monochrome! It's like green overload! There's more colors than green in nature...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It doesn't, but I figured registering on Origin might help, since it has an online activation to remove the CD check. No dice.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Quake Matt wrote:
    I finished this a couple of days ago myself. I guess it was okay, but not a patch on the original and I probably wouldn't bothered with it if I knew what I would be getting when I picked it up.

On the whole, my complaints would come down to the new suit controls being really awkward to use (I don't think I ever kicked a car, because it takes soooo long for strength mode to engage) and the very uninspiring AI; the enemies didn't act stupidly, just boringly.

I am interested to see what mods come out for this, though, even so I can just admire the graphics some more!

Single player was definitely underwhelming. Haven't really gotten into multiplayer.

My main problem with the SP is that it just feels like they stripped everything out of Crysis 1 that made it stand out and replaced it with bits from generic shooter A. I was excited about the idea of a concrete jungle, thinking the game would preserve the freedom of movement of Crysis 1 and I'd be able to go on rooftops and maneuver through buildings at will. But no, the buildings are just there to look pretty, really, unless you're supposed to go into them to complete an objective or move to the next area.

The AI in the first game was really good. This one... not so much. Enemies get stuck on walls, stand still as you silently murder their friends, and in general just aren't very smart. I wonder if the AI is not so much worse as the path finding isn't improved at all. The first game featured wide open areas with little in the way of geometric obstruction. This game has barriers and outcroppings and whatnot littered all around that the AI can't seem to negotiate. To be fair, it doesn't happen often, but its so noticeable when it does. Seems to occur more with the aliens, actually.

Speaking of aliens, did they really need to remove the aliens from the first game? The flying blue squid dudes from the first game were unique, scary, and forced players to change their tactics from fighting the normal human enemies. The red squid guys from this game don't even really look like squids, they look like guys in some sort of armor. Sure, they can jump higher and move around faster than humans, but other than that, there's no real tactical difference in fighting them. Ultimately, they're just boring and unimaginative.

Not to mention the machines you fight. The Pinger was cool, I guess, but it was tiny compared to some of the machines you fought in the first game. Its what, three, four times as tall as your character? As compared to the easily hundred foot machines from Crysis 1. I guess there's no space in NYC for a large enemy like that, but still.

I guess that's what it comes down to - space. After playing the original and never once feeling constricted, this game tries its hardest to funnel me down corridors. My best memories from the original were being tasked to destroy x number of beacons or whatever, all spread across this enormous area that just didn't seem to have any boundaries. That sort of thing is nowhere to be found here.

All that said, its not a bad game by any means. And the 'corridors' I mention in the last paragraph are still more wide open than 90% of other games. The way the suit functions have been streamlined is also a big plus. I hated toggling between strength, speed, etc. so much in the first game. Its nice to have more functions rolled into one. Although I do agree with Quake Matt that things like kicking cars never seemed to actually be useful. It looked cool, and I would often kick cars just because I could, but as for actual combat applications? Nah, too clunky to use in the heat of battle. Same with the new power slide function.

Bottom line, good game, just feels like somebody neutered Crysis 1and gave him a shiny new suit.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    CryEngine 3 SDK is free now if anyone wants to give it a shot (the sandbox is main reason why I bought Crysis 2 in the first place, heh)

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Slortex wrote:
    The AI in the first game was really good. This one... not so much. Enemies get stuck on walls, stand still as you silently murder their friends, and in general just aren't very smart. I wonder if the AI is not so much worse as the path finding isn't improved at all. The first game featured wide open areas with little in the way of geometric obstruction. This game has barriers and outcroppings and whatnot littered all around that the AI can't seem to negotiate. To be fair, it doesn't happen often, but its so noticeable when it does. Seems to occur more with the aliens, actually.

The AI felt too much like that - artificial. As soon as one of them saw you, they'd all immediately know exactly where you are and would track you movements with pinpoint accuracy, even through walls (confirmed with the help of the bullet tracer ability). Unlike the first game, they wouldn't get misled by you quickly relocating to a new spot, or be lured towards the sound of a detonating barrel or grenade, so you couldn't properly engage them using sneaky hit-and-run tactics. I imagine that some of that was because I played a no-cloak run and the AI's been developed with the expectation of cloaking, but it's disappointing nonetheless when compared to the original.
    Slortex wrote:
    All that said, its not a bad game by any means. And the 'corridors' I mention in the last paragraph are still more wide open than 90% of other games. The way the suit functions have been streamlined is also a big plus. I hated toggling between strength, speed, etc. so much in the first game. Its nice to have more functions rolled into one. Although I do agree with Quake Matt that things like kicking cars never seemed to actually be useful. It looked cool, and I would often kick cars just because I could, but as for actual combat applications? Nah, too clunky to use in the heat of battle. Same with the new power slide function.

My problem was with the second-long delay for strength mode to kick in whenever you try and use it. In that time, you've been hurt so much that it'd have been better to just shoot the target rather than throw something at them. Likewise for trying to use melee attacks.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    Props to EA - 5 minutes in live chat and they gave me a new serial number.

• Options
    Does the DX 11 patch make much of a difference on DX 10 cards?

The game looks really good on my GTX275, and I considered grabbing the patch, but since I'm on mega slow capped internet, I want to know if it'll be worth it.