As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arcana Heart 3- New fighting game, out now on PSN (Examu/ArcSystemWorks/Aksys)

• CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So this is PSN only? No physical copies?
    PSN only, unless you live in Europe.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh...is there a PS3 copy you can import from Europe, then? Although by that point I might as well import one of the Japanese ones.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can read japanese menus, sure.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've played the first game in Japanese and English. As long as you don't care about the story and have your own movelist, the menus aren't a problem. If you were getting it primarily to play with other people it shouldn't matter what language the menus are in.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, this game could not have come out at a worse time what with the outage and all. It's going to kill its sales. It's completely losing all the first week impulse buys. Whoever had the foresight to go online the first day it launched here and do really well is super lucky though. Because of the outage there's no competition so they'll probably be able to get the color scheme for being a top ranker for a week really easily.

Gilder on
  • DremDrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, the Japanese copy is fine if you don't miss the story and character dialogue text. All of the main menus are in English and much of the more specific menus are easy to figure out. For everything else there are translations at the AH wiki. A Euro import should be fine too, but if you're using an SD TV you'll probably need some way to deal convert the PAL image signal once the game starts.
    Gilder wrote: »
    Man, this game could not have come out at a worse time what with the outage and all. It's going to kill its sales. It's completely losing all the first week impulse buys. Whoever had the foresight to go online the first day it launched here and do really well is super lucky though. Because of the outage there's no competition so they'll probably be able to get the color scheme for being a top ranker for a week really easily.

Oh yeah, this outage is an absolute disaster. But I guess it's up to us to keep the thread active long enough to garner people's attention.

Any suggestions on thread titles, by the way? I want to namedrop ArcSystemWorks and Aksys, because those are developers people trust (no one knows who Examu are), and try to put the price in there as well. But there's only so much room!

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
    edited April 2011
    Arcana Heart 3 -The ground is hot lava.

Gilder on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arcana Heart 3 -The ground is hot lava.
    Arcana Heart 3: SO MOE I'M GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!1!11!!!

Grimthwacker on
    edited April 2011
    Arcana Heart 3 - PSN down, going bedside for some spatchka.

Kira actually says that, aside from the PSN part. Whoever wrote that line is a huge, huge nerd.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    LevelUp's Wednesday Night Fights featured a demo session commentated by Alex Valle and Aksys PR man James Xie, featuring great play from US players Bellreisa and Meru. It's really good for people who are wondering what Arcana Heart is all about, and is still good for current players who want to see some high-level players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSK9tqTJHvk&feature=player_embedded

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So the PSN port of this game is actually good, right? I know the Japanese disc release was more or less flawless, but I just wanted to absolutely certain before spending 30$.

Not that I could purchase it anyway, thanks to Sony's overwhelming incompetence.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited April 2011
    Don't die thread! Online will come back soon and then people can buy this game!

Anyway I finished all characters and Arcanas last night for story mode. What I have determined:

1. I like Akane, Konoha, and Lilica the most. I like fast characters. I guess everyone likes Akane though huh?

2. Some characters really have a problem with quarter circle forward motions. It's weird.

3. Never give the Nature Arcana to Weiss, holy shit it's a bad idea. Her damage is so severely gimped it would be impossible to beat a good player. I had to go crazy just to deal the damage fast enough for the final boss.

4. Why does this have Partial Nudity in the rating? Is it in the special art? Because there's no nudity in any of the endings.

5. Fuck that stupid cannon blast special from Fenrir. God I hate getting sent across the screen because of it. It's like an instant corner special because if you get hit at all you're flying.

Gilder on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't have anything close to a main, or even good combos down yet. I haven't been playing a lot because there's no one to play with yet. =(

I'm liking Clarice, Elsa, and Catherine the most of the character's I've tired. And I kinda want to give Fiona and Eko/Kaz a chance.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Still can't play this.

GAWWWWWWWWWWDAMMIT.

blaze_zero on
    edited April 2011
    Dammit PSN, please come back up! I have nobody to practice Akane on! The training mode isn't very good in this, because you can't do like in BB and auto-refill your force gauge to try stuff with it faster, set the computer to block immediately or tech, or basically anything else to let you know what combos actually work. I need people!

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Dammit PSN, please come back up! I have nobody to practice Akane on! The training mode isn't very good in this, because you can't do like in BB and auto-refill your force gauge to try stuff with it faster, set the computer to block immediately or tech, or basically anything else to let you know what combos actually work. I need people!

Huh?

Yeah you can. In the training options, did you try switching the sections? I think it was the shoulder buttons. You can do everything you need there.

Sorry for not participating in the thread at all lately. I'm trying to get through exams first.

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
    edited April 2011
    Oh, I don't think I tried the shoulder buttons. I swear I tried left and right on the d-pad though, and that moves pages in the command menu. But it didn't in the training. So I thought it didn't have any other options, just the record and switch fighter options with select. I'll give that a shot next time.

Edit: Yeah it's L1/R1. Somehow I never noticed the part that says L1/R1 to change pages. Good thing I found this out now before I started really trying to practice moves as Akane. It would be annoying to wait for bars and such. I've just been trying to get inputs down right so I don't screw them up.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Oh my god Parace L'Sia. What the fuuuuuck. If you didn't lower your health each continue until you were at 40% I don't think I would have ever beaten you. What a difficulty jump that was for score attack.

Gilder on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, even when PSN comes back up next week the store won't be back until sometime in May so... yeah. This game wasn't that big anyway and Sony's security breach may have pretty much killed it.

I wonder what Sony will do for companies who had recently put merchandise up on the PSN Store. Developers/publishers CAN'T be too happy with them right now.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited May 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Well, even when PSN comes back up next week the store won't be back until sometime in May so... yeah. This game wasn't that big anyway and Sony's security breach may have pretty much killed it.

I wonder what Sony will do for companies who had recently put merchandise up on the PSN Store. Developers/publishers CAN'T be too happy with them right now.

Well it may be back sooner, as they did say they'd try for within the month. I'm glad this will have network play back, but the only people I'll be able to fight will be experts that have had the japanese version for months. People only had I think less than 48 hours to buy this version. My Akane is probably nowhere near beating mediocre players, much less those dedicated enough that they imported. So it's like who can I even fight to improve? It's hard enough for me to work up the courage to even play online when I know I'll just embarrass myself.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the entire PSN situation is pretty terrible for a lot of companies, and especially for smaller games like AH3.

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself online; the community is generally pretty nice. I've fought people and did really terrible, but they sent me a friend request anyway. People just want more people to play in the West. And I will gladly play with you guys once PSN is back up this week. I've really been meaning to post some things about my adventures with Dorothy recently, but I haven't had the time to sit down and do it (exams are ending this week, so hopefully soon!). She seems pretty cool, but I've barely played Poker and can't remember the hands off the top of my head. Her critical heart is really easy to connect in combos or catch people off guard, which is fantastic.

Concerning Parace L'sia, I've never actually gone through score attack. Is she still as bs as she was in Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2?

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
    edited May 2011
    At least that bad, possibly worse depending on your playstyle I suppose. They seem to have gotten rid of two things in 3. The first is her 1 hit kill nonsense. Like the second round of the first attempt? She never one shot me like that. That was pretty ridiculous. The second thing they got rid of was her moving animation. See they apparently thought having her move somewhat inhumanly was wrong. She should be completely broken when moving. So she just teleports now. She teleports anywhere and everywhere. Even out of a combo. Like I would start hitting her, the 2 would be blue, and somehow she got out of it. I swear that fighting her on the ground is out of the question. I was only ever able to really damage her if I caught her in the air. The ground was death, all my combos there were just trying to 5C her up off the ground.

Here, see what you think. Take a look at how fast her arcana gauge and burst force refill.

Also do you have any tips for Akane's critical heart? I cannot pull off the strongest level of it. It's supposed to go all crazy right? All I can ever manage is 5 hits for 7500~ damage. I think I'm mashing like crazy fast enough but I just can't seem to pull it off.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Join the club. Only hint I can give is that apparently it doesn't start counting your button presses until she stops her dash and crouches, so save your energy until then. Supposedly pressing two buttons at the same time won't count. It's got good range and is pretty fast, but actually getting it to do damage is more trouble than it's worth. Apparently the Extend Force version requires you to get 101 presses in that 1.5 second time frame you have. I could only do it by putting all 5 buttons on turbo.

Oh Parace L'Sia, you so crazy. When it comes to super bosses like her, your best bet is to learn your combos and land your combos. You need to deal as much damage as possible when you've managed to hit her. I wonder if there are any ways to exploit her AI.

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
    edited May 2011
    101 presses in 1.5 seconds?! I.... wow. I could knock over a huge amount of whomps in Mario Party by pressing A and I could glean Gracie's Car in Animal Crossing, but I don't know if I can pull off that madness legit, especially without an arcade stick. I can't rub my palm over the buttons like I could with an arcade stick. I mostly wanted to see if I can do it to cancel into the Arcana Blaze like the wiki says you can, but I don't even think that trick would work with the Evil arcana. I think the last hit moves you too far away to grab them.

And yeah, Parace was all about me trying to land my combos that end with Akane Bunshin if it was on the ground, or the kicking one in the air. She really sucks for characters like Petra and Akane though because you don't really have time to charge up. At least Petra has a special to fill up her gun. Akane doesn't have that luxury for the kotodama, I have to do it on the field and leave myself completely open to a counter attack. Not gonna happen against Parace.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, evil doesn't sound like it would work. Halo, now; Halo is golden (badumpsh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwTBhy5RGy8

Does Parace's attacks clash? If so, try using Flower's Multi-layered Crimson Nirvana (qcf x2 E) (is it still called that in the English version?), dash inside of the flower rings and charge up your Kotodama. You should be able to get at least 2 charges in before the super ends.

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
    edited May 2011
    Man, if I was ever able to pull off that special I would totally use Halo for it just to do that. Crazy damage. And I think Parace does clash, but I don't remember ever winning one with her. I think she would either teleport or hit me with something else before I realized we were clashing and I should just hit with a weak attack. Hiding in the special to charge up though sounds like a nice idea. I might practice with Flower some. I wish Evil gave a special to do something like that. The only cool thing I've managed to do with evil so far is that if I have a full arcana gauge and I do my 2 kotodama combo to knock them up in the air I can do the kick special which knocks them down, switch places with the qcb x2 E special, and then use another kick special that they'll fall right into. I've been trying to see if there's some timing I can do to make them fall into the pit special, but it doesn't seem to work. You can tech when you hit the ground so if their timing is perfect I think they can hit me or jump away. Argh, this is why we need online back, so I can try that on a real person and see if it works or not!

Edit: 7 hours later edit to say that no, there is no way to do the 100 hits on a controller. It's impossible. I do not believe anybody can do it. I barely managed to pull off 35 hits with extend force. I can't get past 5 without it, and usually I end up getting 6 or 7 with extend anyway. You absolutely need a turbo button or an arcade stick that you can rub your palm across to do this move.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    PSN IS COMING BACK UP AND IS UP FOR ME SO WHO WANTS TO THROW DOWN AND KICK MY ASS AS AKANE THAT I HAVEN'T PLAYED AS FOR ALMOST A WEEK?! YOU? YOU? SOMEBODY BETTER FIGHT ME TONIGHT DAMMIT! AAAAAAAAAAAH!

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Well, is the store back up? Then I will.

blaze_zero on
    edited May 2011
    No :x. That won't be up until the end of the month probably, and I think Shady is right that I can't gameshare with you because of the store being down. There's nowhere for you to download it from.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't mind trying out AH3 online but it'll be a while before service is restored in my state, I'm sure.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
    edited May 2011
    Wow, great, fantastic.

I can't even get this game at all.

blaze_zero on
    edited May 2011
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind trying out AH3 online but it'll be a while before service is restored in my state, I'm sure.

You never know, it's pretty random so far. They did the north east coast and then jumped to california. I'll try looking for some player matches later tonight and see what I get. If you want you can add me to your friends list when PSN comes back for you and then we'll know if we're on. My ID is ColonelBeck. Just be warned that I'm super shitty at fighting games, although I'm trying to learn this one more than I have others like BB. This game just clicks for me better. Also I have to use a controller so you know, some moves are impossible. coughcoughAkane'sCriticalHeartcoughcough. I'm basically a beginner's punching bag until you get good enough to move on to better players.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    PSN update is up for me. Probably up everywhere now.

Edit - Guess not. Update is live, but PSN is still down.

blaze_zero on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah it's state by state rollouts. Give it time, you'll probably be back online within a few hours. At least you got the firmware update. A lot of people can't get it because it just won't download or it goes really slow, so they have to get it from sony's other site and put it on a flash drive.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    @Gilder
    Alright, my tag is CyborgAlpha just so you'll know who to look out for.

I'm not very good at fighters either. I can pass for a decent player in BlazBlue; not so much for everything else.

CyborgZeta on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll consider it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Parace L'sia is made up of pure SKN Boss level fucking bullshit.
    Also, the day I leave for 2+ weeks is the day the PSN goes back online. Fuck me.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited May 2011
    Oh man I was having some incredibly shitty input lag tonight, jesus christ. Like I won 3 rounds just fine and then I lost all the rest because I was seriously doing actions 2 seconds after I had done the inputs for them. It was also reading inputs in the worst ways too, like I did 236C and it thought I did 22C. Like wow, why the fuck would I have done 22C on the ground at that moment game? How could you misread my input like that? Maybe there's a problem with my NAT.

CyborgZeta did we ever have a round? I can't remember now. I think we did? If we did I'm pretty sure the connection was fine with you.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah we had a round and I remember the connection being fine.

I need to practice more, 'cause I got smoked.

CyborgZeta on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I forgot some of my combos because it had been so long since I practiced. Like I completely forgot I could do Akane Bunshin after the first hit of 236C. I could have done that a couple times and probably done some damage. I also needed to do more bursts for the intention of canceling and getting some poison in, but not doing the arcana blaze so that it recharges again. The randoms as you saw were doing bursts to escape combos, which is okay but the force gauge takes so long to recharge after doing that. I don't really see the point.

Also I don't really know how to fight Catherine. The hit box is weird because it's like the feet don't count sometimes, and if you get hit once you're basically stuck in the spinning lariat attack.

Oh and Zeta I see your contact info has a gamertag. Can you be on PSN and Live at the same time? Because I hate using the PS3's voice chat and I'm talking with my friends in a party over Live while I play the PS3. If you can be on both you could be in that party so we could have voice chat while playing.

Gilder on