As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good PC 2.1 speaker solution?

eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
I'd like to replace my speakers next month when I get paid, but I'm not interested in a surround system(Don't have the room for it) and am looking for a good system of 2 speakers with subwoofer to replace the old one I've got.

I want one that sounds good whether I'm gaming, watching movies, or listening to music. But I can't seem to find anything online that screams 'Buy Me!' with consistently good reviews across various sites, so I figured I would ask you guys for your opinions.

Preferably would like to keep it in the $100-$200 range. I know I won't get pure aural sex with that, but it would be a step up from these 10 year old $50 speakers I'm using.

(She/Her)
eelektrik on

• Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tom's hardware had a review and some thoughts on a few models from about $150 to 250 bucks.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-speaker-2.1-channel-subwoofer,2835.html

I personally own the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and love them.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+ProMedia+2.1+Speaker+System+(3-Piece)+-+Black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One of my promedia 2.1 speakers just died, things finally giving out. Definitely replacing as soon as I have $150 lying around. Heavily recommended.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So that is two votes here for the Promedia 2.1, I see why I didn't find them before, they're out of stock on NewEgg and Amazon, but they've got great reviews everywhere. But they are in stock on Klipsch's website for 149.99. The price is right, the reviews sound spot on, It might be just what I was looking for.

How long did you have yours before it went out Scrub?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had the promedia 5.1s and absolutely loved them. I know the sub amp had an issue on the 5.1s. Don't know if that is a concern with the 2.1 system. Nice thing is the satellites made great speakers for my home theatre system after the sub died.

Also for $250 the corsair 2.1 speakers have been getting rave reviews. People are saying they are stunning for the money. I would personally save up an extra $50 for those.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd just like to point out that $100-200 can get you a damn nice set of headphones.

corky842 on
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have a currently unused receiver + speakers? That's what I use... an older Yamaha 5.1 receiver hooked up to two bookshelf speakers (Sinclair Audio). It's 2.0, but sounds better than any 2.1 (or 5.1) set of computer speakers I've ever heard.

floobie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nope, don't have a receiver/speakers lying around. How much do those run anyways?

these are a little more than I wanted to spend, but I could still afford them and I've read good things about them, and they don't require a receiver. Anyone here familiar with them?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else looking at the Corsair SP2500 speakers, TigerDirect has a $60 instant rebate on them bringing them down to 189.99. If I was in the market to buy speakers today as opposed to next month, I probably would get those at that price.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So that is two votes here for the Promedia 2.1, I see why I didn't find them before, they're out of stock on NewEgg and Amazon, but they've got great reviews everywhere. But they are in stock on Klipsch's website for 149.99. The price is right, the reviews sound spot on, It might be just what I was looking for.

How long did you have yours before it went out Scrub?

Years. And it's worth mentioning that these speakers were repeatedly hauled from a basement to a rooftop balcony and back. The return trip was usually done drunkenly. Sometimes the initial trip too.

So yea they might have been subjected to unusual abuse.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have had my speakers for about six years and single speakers are availble on thier site but are currently out of stock

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-4-1-satellite-speaker-overview/

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png