As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Streets of Rage Remake

SeriousStuSeriousStu Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Hello!

I freakin' love the Streets of Rage series, and I can't believe I didn't keep a closer eye on this project more than I had. I suppose it worked out better for me though, as it made playing the final version (5) of this game that much more special for me. I'm loving it so much I decided I should do a Let's Play of it, even though the first part is me just banging on for 15 minutes of how customisable the game is. Sorry about that, but you can skip straight to Part 2 to see the game in action!

I love the game so much I'm already thinking about doing multiple playthroughs with different characters and to show the different routes you can take in the game.

-- MORE INFO --
For those that haven't heard of the SoR series (known as Bare Knuckle in Japan), shame on you! It's only one of the best side-scrolling beat em ups (I suppose the modern day equivalent would be hack-n-slash) from the 16-bit era! A timeless classic with beautifully campy designs on the enemies, it's still super fun to play as it was when you were a kid.

Bombergames basically took everything that made the series great, shoved it all together, let it simmer for 8 years and baked a super awesome cake named Streets of Rage Remake. From the get go, you have 6 playable characters - Axel, Blaze, Adam, Max, Skate and Zan. You can unlock different versions of these characters (example - play as SoR1, 2 or 3 Axel) and there are 6 additional characters to unlock too, with one of them having two versions to play as. In total, it effectively gives you 18 different characters to play as, and all of the 'old' cast have had their movesets updated while having their sprites updated in a really tasteful way.

There's a huge amount of options to play with that effect gameplay mechanics. The beauty of this is you can tailor the game to play exactly like you may remember - whether you want it playing more like the 1st, 2nd or the 3rd game of the series, or a sweet mixture of all 3. You can change things like the way weapons behave, how long the hit-stun is when you attack an enemy, whether enemies make their death cry before or after they hit the ground - all sorts of little things that the SoR enthusiast would remember.

All the music - every single track - has been remixed to sound a bit more modern without breaking the original spirit. And it seems almost every stages has been recreated - all the stages from 1, 2 and 3 are there and I believe they even got some stuff in there from the Game Gear version.

It's pretty much the most definitive Streets of Rage game you could hope to play.

It came out on the 3rd of April this year and was released as FREEWARE. They were very clear that you should never have to pay for this product. Unfortunately, the download link for the game has been removed, following Bombergames being contacted by Sega. We don't know any information other than that - let's hope that some good will come of this and that any tight grip Sega may have put on Bombergames will be released.

Regardless, I'm sure a quick web search will turn up a mirror for the download somewhere. If you enjoyed the series, I really recommend you try tracking it down and give it a go. The game is a pure labour of love.

I hope you enjoy the vids and commentary!

-- THE VIDS (will be updated each time a set is uploaded) --

Set 1:
Set 2:
Set 3:

SeriousStu on

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man, I loved SoR! The title song from the first game alone is worth it. For those that haven't, check out the remix available on OC Remix by djpretzel.

Not to be subtle about it, and there isn't any way to be subtle... but what's the file size on this that you got?

Akilae on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, this game's come on.
    I played it a few years ago, half of those characters weren't in there.
    I'll have to have another look.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SeriousStuSeriousStu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Akilae wrote: »
    Not to be subtle about it, and there isn't any way to be subtle... but what's the file size on this that you got?

Of the game? A quick look at the folder clocks it at about 420MB. There's a pretty fat .dat file that's 247MB and I think the rest is mostly music.

Like I said, the download link has been taken down, but someone must have surely started torrenting it by now. If it really does seem difficult to get a hold of it, I might even take steps to get it out to the masses. I've respect for Sega and all, but this game's too good to keep from the people :D

More vids sooooon! I've been feeling a bit under the weather which has delayed things by about a day. If anyone has any suggestions on the video quality, just leave a message here or on YouTube. Otherwise, hope you're enjoying it!

SeriousStu on
    edited April 2011
    SeriousStu wrote: »
    Like I said, the download link has been taken down, but someone must have surely started torrenting it by now. If it really does seem difficult to get a hold of it, I might even take steps to get it out to the masses. I've respect for Sega and all, but this game's too good to keep from the people :D

Good luck finding a download link. I've got no idea where you'd find one.

klemming on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's interesting that you posted this, considering I just read this article about it today.

citizen059 on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never Return Alive is one of the best boss themes ever and that remix does it incredible justice.

In fact I'll go one further - the soundtrack during those videos is such a labour of love and it really delivers a nostalgic feel with a fresh lick of paint. Fantastic stuff.

Boo, SEGA. :(

Dunxco on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That makes me worried for Sonic 2 HD, since the people working on that are probably going to put years of work into it, without knowing if Sega will pull the rug from underneath them the instant it's finished, even if they have contacted them about it. I hope it turns out to be more of a case of "That's good, but could you add in lag-free multiplayer, and make it for consoles too? And allow us to pay you to publish it?" than "CEASE AND DESIST. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY, OR WE KILL THIS HEDGEHOG."

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited April 2011
    klemming wrote: »
    Good luck finding a download link. I've got no idea where you'd find one.

Nice one, klemming :DEveryone get it!

Someone raised an interesting idea as to why Sega would wait all this time before putting their foot down on it. It's in a companies best interest to protect their IP, even an old one like SoR (which is still selling on XBLA, VC etc). However, they may have wanted Bombergames to 'finish' their remake first before stamping down on it as a favour to the fans.

Bare with me on this.

We all like to make fun of Sega, but they're not stupid. They know the moment the game hits the internet it'll be almost impossible to keep out of gamers hands. So though it may look like they're being tight-asses, they could have stopped the project years earlier, but waiting til this late means we still get Bombergames finished product and Sega gets to protect their IP. That's a win-win, right? The only downer is that you have to go a little out of your way to get hold of the game, but as klemming has already pointed out, it surely doesn't take very long to track down.

The same thing might happen with Sonic 2 HD, though I imagine Sega hold that IP a little closer than SoR...

And yes, the music is totally ace! I really love the SoR3 Stage 1 remix - gets me pretty pumped up!

More vids tomorrow...!

SeriousStu on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been vacillating on making a thread for this game -- not a Let's Play. It was up in the air because I figured someone else would do it, then I had trouble recording gameplay, then Sega killed the download links. Seemed like a dick move to say, "here's this awesome game, you can't play it."

For what it's worth, here's the 15 minutes I recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUaWzss-oSc

Just showing the game off.

Guess we don't need a thread for the game itself.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why do these fan remake guys never learn?

-SPI- on
    edited April 2011
    In their defence, they've been publicly working on it for 8 years, making very sure to not step on Sega's toes.

They also contacted Sega last year to make sure everything was cool, and kept going so I guess Sega didn't tell them to stop. They sent a letter to Sega's legal department asking if there was a problem with them releasing a freeware Streets of Rage game and didn't get any negative statements back.

And according to the dribbles of info the team has let out, they're still working on whatever happened. So it's possible Sega will let them put the links back up. It's not like they took the whole site down. On a good day, this is just a hiccup.

Which is why I was going to wait before making the thread.

Oh yes, and the game is very well done and a lot of fun.

If (when) the download links are back I'll make a thread.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SeriousStu wrote: »
    Someone raised an interesting idea as to why Sega would wait all this time before putting their foot down on it. It's in a companies best interest to protect their IP, even an old one like SoR (which is still selling on XBLA, VC etc). However, they may have wanted Bombergames to 'finish' their remake first before stamping down on it as a favour to the fans.

Bare with me on this.

We all like to make fun of Sega, but they're not stupid. They know the moment the game hits the internet it'll be almost impossible to keep out of gamers hands. So though it may look like they're being tight-asses, they could have stopped the project years earlier, but waiting til this late means we still get Bombergames finished product and Sega gets to protect their IP. That's a win-win, right? The only downer is that you have to go a little out of your way to get hold of the game, but as klemming has already pointed out, it surely doesn't take very long to track down.

So they intentionally wait to send the C&D until after the game has been released, knowing that the game will still be available to people, but they will have satisfied their legal department's need to "protect their IP"? And everyone will think that Sega is being dicks, even though they're actually acting in the best interest of the fans, and they did this knowing that they would never be able to disclose their actual reasoning, and have to let the internet at large think they're a soulless, greedy company when in reality they're only devoted to making their longtime fans happy?
    Sega is the Game Developer that Gotham deserves.

SmokeStacks on
    edited April 2011
    It's not like this is the first fully playable build, it's just the final build.

The game has been available and playable (first stage to last boss + endings) for years.

The final version is 5.0, not 1.0.

Page- on
    stream
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played one of the earlier development versions of this a few months ago. Have they finally add some kind of save game feature?

Gaslight on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At least they managed to release it. Sega can't stop it now, it's everywhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    Sega are hardly unique in last-second C&Ds.
    Remember that Chrono Trigger 'sequel' thing? I forget the name, but as soon as they said they'd finished it, Bam. Same thing with the 3d remake, although I think that got killed pretty early.

I do wonder what the odds are that they'd adopt this into an actual game. How much effort would it take to put this on Xbox Live Arcade? I'd almost be willing to lose the free PC version and pay for it, especially if it added online co-op. (of course, the fact I've already downloaded it doesn't hurt)

Speaking of, does it have joypad support? The last time I played it (three/four years ago) I couldn't get it to acknowledge my 360 pad.

klemming on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If this is as good as it looks then Sega might not be shutting it down; they might just negotiate with these guys to make/port a commercial console version.

Or am I being optimistic in the face of corporate tyranny again.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a request. For those of us who don't have the game but are interested in the new content, could you do a set that is an exhibition of the characters and their attacks?

Edit: I'm really interested in Shiva and some of the other 'boss' characters that look exclusive to the 2nd row.

Ranadiel on
    edited April 2011
    Sega is the Game Developer that Gotham deserves.

I loled.

To answer some of the questions being thrown about...

SAVE SYSTEM
    The game seems to create a Save State at the beginning of every stage. If you quit the game (just with Alt+F4), the game will load that Save State when you fire it up again. That's what I'm doing for this Let's Play. You can't manually create these Save States, or manually load them. Not like it's a huge game anyway... you can blast through it in about an hour.

JOYPAD SUPPORT
    I can't comment on whether or not it recognises a 360 pad, but it's recognised my PS2 pad without problems. However, I'm currently playing on Keyboard as I find it easier to run and roll (which requires double taps in a direction). A friend and I played 2-player and I was on Keyboard while he used a PS2 pad. No problems there. When we tried to use 2 PS2 pads though, we ran into problems. I'm using one of these little dongles that plugs into 1 USB port and splits into 2 PS2 joypad ports.

IS IT AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS?
    Yes.

CHARACTER EXHIBITION
    I think I'll do this after this initial Let's Play. Shiva has changed a good deal than how he played in SoR3. His standing-A special move is a bit weak though. He's lost his abusive forward-forward-B move from SoR3. He's still very powerful with really good reach and speed. Overall, Bombergames changed him to be more like a decent playable character than something shoe-horned in like in SoR3. He can also use weapons now.
    Roo changed quite a bit too (can also use weapons).
    I guess Ash changed a lot as well, though I never played him in SoR3.
    Mr X is fun :) Can't use weapons (why would he when he's sporting that Tommy Gun??)
    Elle is quite slow. Haven't played with her much.
    Rudra is really fast and has a totally ace looking throw when holding the enemy from behind. Her A-button specials are weak.

SeriousStu on
    edited April 2011
    Good grief, did I just see...
    Skate with a katana get the killing blow on a Donovon and CLEAVE HIM IN TWO, gore and all?

That's... A little dark for my Streets of Rage tastes. D:

Dunxco on
    edited April 2011
    Haha, yeah, the game has blood and a bit of gore added to it, but it can be disabled. Enemies will bleed when shot with a gun or attacked with a bladed weapon. They'll get cut on two if killed with a katana or killed by an explosion. You'll see some of this in my next set of vids!

SeriousStu on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It recognizes the 360 controller, fyi.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only thing this game needs is online co-op.

Then it would be perfect.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game is a blast to play. It seriously makes you wonder how you could play another game of this genre, the combat is nearly perfect and there's so much to do.

Anyway, for those who have the game, I've put together a quick map of all the levels and how to get to them, so you can easily figure out your path through the game.
    sormap.jpg

T-Danger on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow. This took me by surprise. Its basically the best parts of all three games rolled into one big awesome game. I would quite happily pay at least $20 for something like this at retail.

Sega; hire these guys!

Mr Ray on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or Lets Not Play as apparently this just got hit with a Cease & Desist :(

hyperpower on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It did,

But that is detailed in the OP, plus the game is still available for download on the interwebs.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh hey, someone made a thread about this game. I was thinking of it but elected not to until/unless the download links went back up.

Gameplay pointers if you need them.

I've been playing this through at least once per day for the past week or so and have been recording some of my sessions.

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f10M58M93zE]Mania difficulty with SOR2 Shiva + Rudra, SOR1 route[/vidurl]
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PWIjzU9HQ]Elle + Ash, SOR2 route w/ alt paths[/vidurl]
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNd9RzXLKzM]SOR1 versions of Blaze + Axel, knife/construction route[/vidurl]

Might put one more run up on Youtube demoing most of the areas that aren't in those three.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited April 2011
    I'd up more too if it didn't take so long to export the videos :( I wonder if I'm doing something wrong... I'm no video editing guru.

I'm uploading new vids right now and I'll update the OP shortly.

SeriousStu on
    edited April 2011
    Set 2 uploaded! Hope you enjoy...

SeriousStu on
    edited April 2011
    One thing that pisses me off to no end:

Get a game over? Well tough shit, any credits you earned from the shop are gone. Lost. Tossed away.

It's infuriating to juuuuust get to Mr. X, lose, and then you have nothing to show for it. :x

Dunxco on
    edited April 2011
    You can exit the game and load your save state.

Page- on
    stream
    edited April 2011
    I wish I knew that ten minutes ago.

Dunxco on
    edited April 2011
    Farming cash the easy way:

1) Clear the construction site route once.
    2) Unlock stage select.
    3) Start a new game on Stage 8 Scene 10 (Bonus Room).
    4) Return to the bonus room as many times as possible in this playthrough without diffusing the bomb.
    5) Go to 3.

Over 80K per 3 minutes of playtime on Easy mode if you're fast.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited April 2011
    Do you get any cash if you:
    Go to the SoR 1 X's Penthouse, say you'll join him, get dropped back to Factory, work your way back up, win, and get a bad ending (I hope this is what happens, Max deserves that chair)?

Dunxco on
    edited April 2011
    I think you still get money no matter what ending you get.

Sixfortyfive on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It did,

But that is detailed in the OP, plus the game is still available for download on the interwebs.

Checked before I posted but must have missed it. Apologies. Thought I had breaking news lol

hyperpower on
    edited April 2011
    Thoughts on the characters I've played so far:
    Adam is really impressive. I love his animations, and his specials just work so well and are powerful to boot. Also loving how well he pairs up with weapons, very cool guy and probably my favourite of the bunch. From a few playthroughs, bosses give me the most trouble as Adam.

SoR 3 Blaze is probably the best character I've tried so far. She racks up insane damage and has great reach, specials, attacks. Blaze gave me the easiest playthrough yet. Not much to say other than I managed to faceroll the game with Blaze solo.

Max starts out great, but I feel they missed the point with him. While they hit the nail on the head with him being an utter beast with the pipe, and the run function helps him so much, closing in on opponents for grab attacks after about a third of the game is outright futile because they move so damn fast, and he gets devoured by SoR 1-type mobs because they move so, so fast.

SoR 3 Skate Is a big disappointment. I know he's meant to be the weak speedster but they took the beef out of his only two beefy moves (back+attack grapple and down+attack in the air). Hopefully SoR 2 Skate has these intact, because otherwise yeah, I won't be racking up much playtime with him.

Zan is just boring and pants. Great reach, terrible damage output and lame specials. His animations aren't great either. His dash attack is brilliant, except his dash special. If you hit anything with the damn thing, it'll probably be a close-up enemy, and then surprise! You take more damage from the explosion than the enemies do! His moves just don't feel like they're worth the meter.

Otherwise, thoroughly enjoying, and looking forward to more unlockables tomorrow!

Dunxco on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am waiting to try this again until my new arcade stick arrives in the mail. Pretty good timing for it to be "released," I'd say.

Gaslight on
    edited April 2011
    Welp:
    SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities. However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances.

So that's that.

Page- on
    stream