As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 2, 2011

scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
i-8DgB2Dz-L.jpg

scsscs on

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    just looked at this app and damn how is blizzard not suing the butts of gameloft?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It really upsets me that microtransaction based games are successful.

Is it just me, or does Gabe's head look weird? And I've tried, but I cannot make my lower eyelids raise like Tycho's in the last panel. Is it physically possible?

Coinage on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's a trailer for Order & Chaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-iu98XGds

Surely that can't be legal.

With the added hilarity of stealing the faction names from Warhammer Online.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is anyone else seeing the comic in this thread the right size but the comic tab has a smaller version of it

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the comic in the thread was originally tiny

scsscs edited his post

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    holy shit, that is WoW!

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Coinage wrote: »

Is it just me, or does Gabe's head look weird? And I've tried, but I cannot make my lower eyelids raise like Tycho's in the last panel. Is it physically possible?

Well in theory some guy said " Hey lets try this some dopes will buy into it and we can break even"

He just sort of underestimated how many dopes there would be.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, how big of a barrel is "pretty big"?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I could win an iPad because there really isn't anything I want it for other than Angry Birds and the ability to have PDFs of my D&D characters for easy access.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I'm jumping on the "That really does look exactly like WoW' bandwaggon.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, this and angry birds clone #5 really has me hoping that iphone games die horribly, and soon.

Then i play sword and sworcery and dawwwwwwwwwww ok games are good again.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still pretty impressive that we've reached the point where we can do WoW on a phone. In a fully supported, apparently very playable way. Like, I've seen those videos of people who've hacked their phones to run/stream WoW, but they all seemed to range from "technically working" to "you might be able to check your bank, if you're lucky."

Scudo on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Here's a trailer for Order & Chaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-iu98XGds

Surely that can't be legal.

With the added hilarity of stealing the faction names from Warhammer Online.

Remember this is from Gameloft, the same people that have made money hand over fist with such hits as:
    Dungeon Hunter (Dungeon Siege clone)
    Starfront(Starcraft clone)
    Sacred Odyssey (Sacred Clone
    a game actually called Vampire Romance that I have been told is 100% Twilight's plot
    Eternal Legacy (and Eternal Odyssey clone)
    Gangstar: Miami Vindication (Grand Theft Auto clone)

I could go on, they have tons of crappy lisenced games, a shit ton of clones of other games, and then a really good Organ Trail game.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also:

Backstab (assassins creed)
    Diamond Twister (its exactly Bejewled)
    Hero of Sparta (God of War)

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Starfront(Starcraft clone)

And an announcer?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Honestly Blizzard should just hire them so they can deskin that and make it Starcraft Mobil

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    literally playing this game right now

it's quite fun, pretty sure blizzard doesn't give a shit because it's not really cutting into their market
    in fact, it could draw people into playing more fully featured mmos

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why don't the stones exist?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Man, this and angry birds clone #5 really has me hoping that iphone games die horribly, and soon.

Then i play sword and sworcery and dawwwwwwwwwww ok games are good again.

to be fair, there are some good iphone games. like one I recently bought called Monster Dash. It's pretty great, for a buck.

as for this thing? yeah, I'm looking at that trailer and all I see is World of Warcraft. shit's just nuts.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When he said "literally" I assumed he meant "figurately literally" not "literally literally". Holy shit.

jackal on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tycho's expression in that last panel... Hilarious.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    a game actually called Vampire Romance that I have been told is 100% Twilight's plot

You were "told"

By yourself.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jackal wrote: »
    When he said "literally" I assumed he meant "figurately literally" not "literally literally". Holy shit.

:^:

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, that's WoW.

I'm waiting for Keepmania: Whip Guy Kills Draculas

Hunter on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

If the microtransactions are for items that have an actual effect on the outcome of a game or the performance or goals of a player, then I wholeheartedly agree. It seems like a really unscrupulous thing to do.

But if it's just for cosmetic stuff, then I don't see anything wrong with that. The decision to buy items like that are fully dependent on the vanity of the player.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

He kinda looks like Pinocchio in Fables

Ivar on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

If the microtransactions are for items that have an actual effect on the outcome of a game or the performance or goals of a player, then I wholeheartedly agree. It seems like a really unscrupulous thing to do.

But if it's just for cosmetic stuff, then I don't see anything wrong with that. The decision to buy items like that are fully dependent on the vanity of the player.

Agreed.
    I think League of Legends is kinda run like that.
    Only possible exception I can see is buying new champs.. but if you play the game you can buy them with currency earned by playing sooooo
    /shrug

skettios on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sure... it looks like WoW, but is it fun like WoW...

I'm gonna try it out.

GRMike on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

Yeah but microtransactions for cosmetic changes =/= michrotransaction based anyway, right?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    njloofnjloof Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you want to get your lower eyelid to squint like that, you have to raise your cheeks, such as by smiling or grimacing. I'm assuming Tycho is doing the latter.

njloof on
  • Options
    cfsbrawlcfsbrawl Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isn't the cake analogy in panel 3 how they described microtransactions in Tiger Woods back in 2006?

cfsbrawl on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought that was a fridge that would deliver sandwiches directly to the crisper? :D

This game is a clear WoW ripoff.

They have a Starcraft ripoff.

Blizzard is clearly positioning to eat them alive.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    spcmnspffspcmnspff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They've been getting away with this for too long for it to cause a problem now. One day they will clone one of their own clones and accidently sue themselves into bankruptcy. That's the only way this vicious cycle will ever end.

Oooh, and make sure to check out the credits... my name is there!

spcmnspff on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok... well I got it. Spent the 6.99 so you don't have to. WoW rip off or not, Gameloft may be on to something here. It is actually not as clunky as you might imagine and connecting to servers happens in seconds, even between playing time. I counted about 24 people all killing wolves on my iphone 4 screen at one time and there wasn't any slow down... I was also able to target and kill my wolf with no issues.

Bliz may want to buy this and re-brand it more than just kill it.

GRMike on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought that was a fridge that would deliver sandwiches directly to the crisper? :D

This game is a clear WoW ripoff.

They have a Starcraft ripoff.

Blizzard is clearly positioning to eat them alive.

They've also got a Zelda ripoff, an Uncharted rip off, and some other ones

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    warcraft is just a ripoff of warhammer

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The last few lines of the newspost sound like comic in and of themselves.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tycho was on fire today. Did you guys see what he wrote about Sony? Fucking hilarious!
    - On the discovery that the intrusion has resulted in the dissemination of an infectious Hrungnir neocyte:

“All you people who wont submit to the mindpulse are f’ing morons. It’s like one parasite and you guys are talking about it like it’s some big thing or like “oh i don’t want to be a subjugant.” FFS, you guys. Just quaff the fucking Dominus Flask. Yield to Her. Yield, and be whole.”

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    @cwgabriel wrote:
    Coming soooooooooon http://t.co/Zw0QgbJ

scaled.php?tn=0&server=640&filename=q4xyg.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Squall on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tycho was on fire today. Did you guys see what he wrote about Sony? Fucking hilarious!
    - On the discovery that the intrusion has resulted in the dissemination of an infectious Hrungnir neocyte:

“All you people who wont submit to the mindpulse are f’ing morons. It’s like one parasite and you guys are talking about it like it’s some big thing or like “oh i don’t want to be a subjugant.” FFS, you guys. Just quaff the fucking Dominus Flask. Yield to Her. Yield, and be whole.

This right here.
    Tycho whipping out his a-game.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.