As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] Ubisoft Week is over. Your wallets are safe.... til the Summer Sale

DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
gentlesteam.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

Daily Deal
header_292x136.jpg?t=1279047104
-50% [strike]$9.99[/strike] $4.99

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?

SteamGameSales.com is that very place.

2. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php. Select Avatar from the drop down list.

You need to delete your Avatar under:
Edit Avatar

Then add that URL in the Avatar URL field in:
Edit Your Details

Also, the border changes colour based on if you're online, offline or in-game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Goodies from previous threads.
The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes our Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

More fun comics
pasteambanner.jpg

steamregulator.jpg

peekandpoke.jpg

Decoy on

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Continued from the previous thread...

We've established this. Anyone who likes The Witcher is wrong and I am (pretty much always) correct about everything.

Oh, also:
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    not until it's 14 dollas on a Steam sale, bucko.

Yep. I'll buy it if this condition is met, and if it gets absolutely fucking rave reviews. Otherwise, the first one was too awful for me to invest further in the series.

I'm curious as to where the fact that the first Witcher got rave reviews fits into your plan :P

I actually played the first Witcher. A lot. And it never got good. Clearly the reviewers were playing a different game. I even bought the Enhanced Edition. I wanted to love it, I really did. I bought it looking for a good Western RPG that would hold me over until ESV comes out. What I ended up with was a shallow, dilapidated husk of a game that ultimately cost me 20 dollars, my faith and my dignity.

Also, ahh new thread smell derpderp

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Continued from the previous thread...

You beat me to it, but yes, the OP has been taken from the previous thread, which was taken from the previous.... and so on... and so forth...

I figured if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Decoy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    exactly. It'd be a shame to lose the history of the OP

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If people are upset, I can most certain change some things.

Decoy on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He's saying the discussion is continued from the previous thread

tofu on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I actually just started playing The Witcher the other day and I think it's pretty excellent so far.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh, I was by no means criticizing your OP, Decoy. I think you did just fine. Fans of The Witcher on the other hand, well...they prefer horrible things, so they might not like it.
    I really mean no personal disrespect to anyone's opinions or feelings regarding The Witcher. I'm just honestly having a blast ripping a new asshole into a game most people seem to love. :P

Triple B on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whatever the witcher may or may not be, at least it isn't DA2 :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, I was by no means criticizing your OP, Decoy. I think you did just fine. Fans of The Witcher on the other hand, well...they prefer horrible things, so they might not like it.
    I really mean no personal disrespect to anyone's opinions or feelings regarding The Witcher. I'm just honestly having a blast ripping a new asshole into a game most people seem to love. :P

See, this has confirmed my diagnosis of your brain damage. You should seek medical help as soon as you are able so that you can once again have correct opinions (whereas now they're all horrible and wrong).
    I'm having fun with this too, hi5

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for taking over the OP during my incarceration. Speaking of which, someone gonna have ta quote me:

steamsales.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can show a boy how to post, you can tell him to start a thread, but you can't teach him how to kill a man.
    Thanks for taking over the OP during my incarceration. Speaking of which, someone gonna have ta quote me:

steamsales.jpg

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had some trouble with graphical issues with The Witcher, but once those were finally resolved, I played through the first chapter.

I didn't find it particularly engrossing, I liked the idea of the rock/paper/scissors approach to combat, but wasn't enthralled with the execution, got stuck for like 10 minutes because either I'm daft or the game needs to be clearer on how to use its own mechanics, fought with (what I felt to be) an unnecessarily complicated talent tree, got laid in game (... well, in game as well), and then had the end of chapter 1 / beginning of chapter 2 show up with even worse graphical glitches and decided I couldn't be bothered fighting with it anymore.

While I know a great deal of what he says is hyperbolic for humour, I think Yahtzee's ZP review said a great deal about the game that I agree with. It's essentially a Single Player MMO on some levels, and complicated enough to be a bit of a pain in the ass when it doesn't really need to be.

*enter 10 people telling me it was super easy and I am wrong and need to sit in the corner*

I don't / didn't hate it, and I can see where some people would have had a lot of fun with it, but between fighting with it just to see the cutscenes (specifically the in-engine ones, the FMV at the start was fine) and having like a half dozen mechanics to adapt to in the first chapter alone, I decided it could sit on the backburner and think about what it had done.

... and while I'm committing hate crimes against RPGs, I've barely even dented Dragon Age Origins either, but that's mainly because I feel like choosing a Sword & Board Warrior may have been a terrible mistake, at least in terms of working with my gameplay, and despite the mere dent, not quite having it in me to start all the way over again (apparently I'm 9 hours in, according to Steam).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

If you're predominantly a PC gamer, I totally get the hate for DA2. Personally however, Dragon Age is a series that I play exclusively on Xbox 360. This is due to no personal preference, I basically just happened to buy the first one on 360 a couple months after it came out, and that's the platform I'm accustomed to playing it on.

Also, re: my recent purchase of Bulletstorm. Let me set the tone for a sec. From somewhere around the second half of 2010 up until just about a week ago (actually, more like off-and-on since March of 2007), the game that's taken up a decent majority of my gaming time is Lord of the Rings Online. AKA a slow-paced, stat-centric, painfully addicting game that requires a lot of thought and dedication. AKA an MMO.

The burnout factor began to set in, as it often does with people who dedicate fucking biblical amounts of time to an MMO. I was in a mental state where I needed to give my brain a vacation and blow motherfuckers away for a while.

Then I bought Bulletstorm today. The phrase "Just what the doctor ordered" was made for this game if you've ever been in MMO-burnout mode. My brain packed its luggage, bought a train ticket, and headed south. And I haven't been this happy with a game purchase in years. Plus you get to listen to Jennifer Hale threatening to "kill your dick."

Triple B on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sword and Board Warrior in Origins is pretty easy to screw up, which is the real issue.

All those points you might think you want in Con? You don't, you want those in Dex.

You're aiming for ~60 Dex by the end of the game.

Sword and Board Warrior can easily be functionally immune to all normal attacks and magic by the end of the game. The only things that will affect you are physical special attacks that automatically hit.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Witcher was okay. I enjoyed the fiction enough to buy the sequel for money dollars.

Jintor on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New thread smell.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Sword and Board Warrior in Origins is pretty easy to screw up, which is the real issue.

All those points you might think you want in Con? You don't, you want those in Dex.

You're aiming for ~60 Dex by the end of the game.

Sword and Board Warrior can easily be functionally immune to all normal attacks and magic by the end of the game. The only things that will affect you are physical special attacks that automatically hit.

Yeah, DAO warriors get positively dirty after a little while.

Triple B on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11728&g2_serialNumber=1

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I guess it's neat that we can add YouTube videos to our Steam community page and link them with games but I don't really see the point. I like to think that maybe this is just phase 1 of Valve's eventual "let people record videos through Steam" plan but that seems like a pipe dream. In any case, even though it gets a little more manageable when you use the dropdown menu to pick one game, a profile like mine with a bunch of videos is a little unwieldy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hurrah for the return of the Classy Gentlemen banner. I missed it during the last two or three threads.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    steamsales.jpg

Bravo!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Anyone who dislikes STALKER SoC (for five bucks no less!) is incapable of liking anything of substance. I believe Barbie Horse Adventures is thataway, sir.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drake wrote: »

Anyone who dislikes STALKER SoC (for five bucks no less!) is incapable of liking anything of substance. I believe Barbie Horse Adventures is thataway, sir.

Hey.

Hey.

I didn't say it sucked (nowhere near as awful as The Witcher) or that people who enjoy it are wrong.

I just said I didn't like it. It's not for me. Listen, I'm just as upset as you are that I didn't like it. I've heard all this awesome shit about it and then I played it and I was like "This...this is it?" So disappointed.

Why don't YOU go play some Barbie. :(

Triple B on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stop dissing Barbie Horse Adventures. I saw it used the other day in a game store for 54 dollars, so it has to be good.

Seriously, though, I really did. And I will never in my entire life go back to that store. Even if all the games disappear, and only they have games, I refuse to go back there.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    you guys should at least get together and say what it is about the witcher that made you hate it so :P

It's like being forced to read the first draft of a horny 14 year old's Dragonlance erotic fan-fiction after it's been run through a web translator.

If they fix that in the next one I'll give it a shot.
    Viva la revolucion!
    That's really my whole problem with the game.
    I don't actually hate the combat.
    Except for the fact that it's part of the Witcher.
    Which means it sucks.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Stop dissing Barbie Horse Adventures. I saw it used the other day in a game store for 54 dollars, so it has to be good.

Seriously, though, I really did. And I will never in my entire life go back to that store. Even if all the games disappear, and only they have games, I refuse to go back there.

That sounds like the stuff of myths and nightmares. How did you survive to tell such a tale?

lostprophet on
    Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barbie Horse Adventures is just a pale imitation of this gem,

the-secret-of-magic-crystals_pac_m.jpg

Maddoc on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, Tropico 3 is really, really fun

However

Why the fuck does it keep asking me for my code I've already put it in like three times it's like every third time I open the game I need to put the code in again

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeaaah, I couldn't handle Witcher's terrible writing either

LaCabra on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Hey.

Hey.

I didn't say it sucked (nowhere near as awful as The Witcher) or that people who enjoy it are wrong.

I just said I didn't like it. It's not for me. Listen, I'm just as upset as you are that I didn't like it. I've heard all this awesome shit about it and then I played it and I was like "This...this is it?" So disappointed.

Why don't YOU go play some Barbie. :(

Take a look at this face in the spoiler.
    geraltfix.jpg

That's the face Geralt makes when people say bad things about The Witcher.

Of course, that's the face he always makes, but yeah.

The Witcher is good times. So there.

Drake on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I personally love the conquest cards in The Witcher. Just kind of funny to me, and its not like they take it too seriously either ("The old mill is haunted again...").

But the reused (and kinda bad) character models and voice acting are defiantly off-putting.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Take a look at this face in the spoiler.
    geraltfix.jpg[IMG][/img]

That's the face Geralt makes when people say bad things about The Witcher.

Of course, that's the face he always makes, but yeah.

The Witcher is good times. So there.

Oh, is that Geralt? I thought you were posting screenshots from that Barbie game you were talking about.

Triple B on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'm getting a nice new computer soon and thought I'd buy a new game to show off its power. I was kind of thinking of getting either Crysis 2 or Shogun 2, but I'd be willing to hear any other suggestions as well. What do you think?

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    So I'm getting a nice new computer soon and thought I'd buy a new game to show off its power. I was kind of thinking of getting either Crysis 2 or Shogun 2, but I'd be willing to hear any other suggestions as well. What do you think?

Crysis 1 or Shogun 2.

Jazz on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Or Metro 2033.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I bought The Witcher some time ago and haven't even tried it yet. I'll probably just play it in Polish with English subtitles since the English VO is apparently terrible. At least I probably wouldn't be able to tell if the Polish is bad.

I'm really enjoying Mass Effect 2 right now. Maybe I should try one of the other BioWare games in my collection when I am done with that. I've got KoToR and Jade Empire.

SteevL on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    I bought The Witcher some time ago and haven't even tried it yet. I'll probably just play it in Polish with English subtitles since the English VO is apparently terrible. At least I probably wouldn't be able to tell if the Polish is bad.

I'm really enjoying Mass Effect 2 right now. Maybe I should try one of the other BioWare games in my collection when I am done with that. I've got KoToR and Jade Empire.

Jade empire is so awesome. I've been waiting for it to go on sale on Steam for ages now.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're going to accuse The Witcher of being written by a horny 14 year then you sure as fuck better be absolutely, damn right disgusted by the Elder Scrolls and Bioware plots. Ass Effect and Dragon Age Poo got nothing on the witcher's incredible world.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    If you're going to accuse The Witcher of being written by a horny 14 year then you sure as fuck better be absolutely, damn right disgusted by the Elder Scrolls and Bioware plots. Ass Effect and Dragon Age Poo got nothing on the witcher's incredible world.

You shut yo mouth.

Elder Scrolls is awesome.

the only game I've ever been killed by a falling wizard. Ever.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I won't buy the witcher 2 unless it comes with free pudding and sexual favors.
    Or unless if it's in a cheap bundle with something I like.
    Or unless it's less than £5
    If it cures cancer I may give it a look in too.

Casual on