As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gmail account - hacked??

SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic AcceleratorRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My gmail account appears to have either been hacked, or somehow someone else is sending out spam messages from the account. I keep getting returned messages with text like
"Calcagno, hey you can totally make it to the top http://presswriters.com/redirect.php?to=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jbmJjNy5jb20vP3BpZD05MTM2MTI=
". The only computers I have on the account are my Laptop, Desktop, HTPC, and Work Laptop and the first three are all turned off right now. I also have 2 phones on the account, however one has a dead battery (so it is off) and the other is in my possession at the moment. I cant figure this out. Any one else had this happen to them before?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
Soggybiscuit on

• Options
    m4v1sm4v1s Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This sounds like some kind of phishing scam. Are you absolutely sure these are returned emails and not just messages made to look like returned emails?

You can pull up a list of devices that have signed into your account by hitting the "detail" link at the bottom of your inbox page.

Changing your password is never a bad idea.

m4v1s on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just check your sent folder and see if you've been sending those out.

If so, change your passwords...all of them.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    Just check your sent folder and see if you've been sending those out.

If so, change your passwords...all of them.

Unfortunately it does. Changed the password to my gmail account already.

Just what I needed. The one email that was sent today does not appear to have come from my account, so maybe their is a ray of hope.

All of my computer have a pretty strong AV on them. I keep trying to figure out where this came from.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At the very bottom of the page, there is a link that says "Details"
    Click on that. That will tell you if anyone has logged into your computer from another location any time soon.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At the very bottom of the page, there is a link that says "Details"
    Click on that. That will tell you if anyone has logged into your computer from another location any time soon.

I did that, but it gives me a list of IP address. Since I have been traveling recently for work and have been to a couple of different job sites all with satellite internet. I logged out all other instances just to be on the safe side yesterday.

Soggybiscuit on
  • Options
    clam2000clam2000 SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Google has a page on the steps you should take:
    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=checklist.cs&tab=29488

clam2000 on
    cdogwal.gif
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are a variety of ways someone might be able to compromise your account. Remember, antivirus alone usually isn't enough to defend against infection these days. Particularly if we're talking rootkits. Beyond that, someone can steal your password and login without ever needing to compromise your computer - things like extremely convincing phising sites you get redirected to, or using XSS attacks to steal your session cookies and use your account without even needing your password. Also, if you share the gmail password with any other account on a website (like, say, the PSN) someone might've obtained your password that way.

Mindless speculation of the cause aside, though, I'd highly recommend activating Gmail's two factor authentication. That way, even if someone steals your password, they'll not be able to get into your account.

TetraNitroCubane on