As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

William Powell rides a [Chat]

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
tumblr_lchowpr1qe1qf6o97o1_r1_250.jpg

It's never over.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

preach: I too do not like the hangover. Watched half of it - was bored.

Daxon on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    Back when typecasting was just fine.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The episode I was remembering was "Flesh & Stone." I don't know how I remember it considering how drunk I was, but I remembered the oxygen factory.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    The episode I was remembering was "Flesh & Stone." I don't know how I remember it considering how drunk I was, but I remembered the oxygen factory.

Funny. I was trying to remember why the oxygen factory in "Flesh & Stone" seemed so familiar to me.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will hurt you Elki. I just had a huge bloody post eaten by you closing that thread. Arg.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

Its like if I see that overweight white guy is in a movie, I know its not worth watching.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

Funny. I was trying to remember why the oxygen factory in "Flesh & Stone" seemed so familiar to me.

when did they reuse the oxygen factory?

Daxon on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That last [chat] was really cut short!

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Its like if I see that overweight white guy is in a movie, I know its not worth watching.

it's funny you say that because now I remember seeing the trailer for Due Date and I was like "oh Robert Downey Jr, this could be fun! Oh wait. No, that guy from the hangover. Nevermind then"

Daxon on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That last [chat] was really cut short!

This is the chat that never ends, only is reborn as another spawn of the tyrant elki.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

it's funny you say that because now I remember seeing the trailer for Due Date and I was like "oh Robert Downey Jr, this could be fun! Oh wait. No, that guy from the hangover. Nevermind then"

You know what's great Daxon? Actually seeing a movie so you can realistically decide whether it was funny or not. Due Date was funny, don't pull a Loren Michael.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And now to retype that post in a shorter version.

Mori, your problems aren't nitpicks they are the big problems with mmos atm. Right now mmos are still running off the EQ1 style of gaming. Level up to max, get gear, raid for gear for the next raid, rinse and repeat. Drop an expansion where you up the max level, release maybe a new class or race or both, new gear and new raids. It keeps people coming back month after month for that small amount of new content.

Dynamic worlds cost money to develop and so far haven't worked super well(Shadowbane for example). But player developed and created worlds have worked in smaller games(Asheron's Call and EvE). Basically though with how mmos are right now there is little push to change and adapt because the current model is very profitable. And when it comes down to it, mmos are focused on profit for they are not cheap to develop.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    This loneliness is killing me
    I must confess I still believe

Not gonna lie, I loved that song

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Exactly, and from what I read from reviews and people who saw it, that was the exact problem with the movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2011

You know what's great Daxon? Actually seeing a movie so you can realistically decide whether it was funny or not. Due Date was funny, don't pull a Loren Michael.

You know what great, styro? Being able to filter out stuff you don't want in life based on previous experiences with similar things.

Like never watching another M Night Shymalalalalalalalan movie.

The Hangover was really boring.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    And now to retype that post in a shorter version.

Mori, your problems aren't nitpicks they are the big problems with mmos atm. Right now mmos are still running off the EQ1 style of gaming. Level up to max, get gear, raid for gear for the next raid, rinse and repeat. Drop an expansion where you up the max level, release maybe a new class or race or both, new gear and new raids. It keeps people coming back month after month for that small amount of new content.

Dynamic worlds cost money to develop and so far haven't worked super well(Shadowbane for example). But player developed and created worlds have worked in smaller games(Asheron's Call and EvE). Basically though with how mmos are right now there is little push to change and adapt because the current model is very profitable. And when it comes down to it, mmos are focused on profit for they are not cheap to develop.

And thus the main reason I'm still tempted by EVE. Say what you will about the gameplay, it's one of the few MMOs where I can conceivably play a single character regardless of the availability of my friends. I'd switch to it in an instant if I had friends to play it with.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elki your chats are predictable and stagnant.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I won't watch them either. But I also won't make claims on their quality.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    why did you think it was boring?

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Look I don't have to see a Nicolas Sparks movie to know I won't like it. When I see Zach galifuckwhatever is in a movie I know I can give it a pass.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    An MMO where the world is fundamentally changed by players seems like one of those things that sounds great on paper and gets really old really fast in reality for most people.

Like I mean I doubt the reason MMOs haven't adopted the total sand box is monetary. That market is saturated.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

You know what great, styro? Being able to filter out stuff you don't want in life based on previous experiences with similar things.

Fucking seriously. Sometimes someone will genuinely ask me why I haven't given Twilight a shot, claiming that my aversion to it is not genuinely motivated because I haven't read it yet. I'm trying to figure out in which universe it makes sense to consume trash just because the specific trash isn't something you've consumed before. Who has time to bang their head against a wall like that?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Biggest problem with MMOs for me is that most of them have an endgame that requires 10-20 people. Getting 10-20 people together and not have 1-2 of them be assholes is fucking tough.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    An MMO where the world is fundamentally changed by players seems like one of those things that sounds great on paper and gets really old really fast in reality for most people.

Like I mean I doubt the reason MMOs haven't adopted the total sand box is monetary. That market is saturated.

There was SWG and I think Darkfall does it as well

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Biggest problem with MMOs for me is that most of them have an endgame that requires 10-20 people. Getting 10-20 people together and not have 1-2 of them be assholes is fucking tough.

MMOs gonna M

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Avatar: The Last Airbender was M. Night Shamalan's best movie.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

If I had to avoid any activity that features a couple of assholes, I'd never leave the house.

Oh yeah, I don't leave the house!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I won't watch them either. But I also won't make claims on their quality.

Do explain how me thinking "Oh wait, that guy from The Hangover - nevermind then" is making any claim on the quality of Due Date. Cause I think you might just come up with bullshit.

I thought the Hangover was boring because it seemed to be trying so hard to go for the whacky surprise element of "oh wow, we don't remember anything AND THIS CRAZY THING HAPPENED OMG HOW WEIRD ISN'T THAT?"

I wasn't surprised when the third zany thing happened and I didn't care. "oh there's a tiger in your bathroom. how crazy. oh so there's a naked chinese man trapped in your car. fantastic"

Really didn't give a shit at all so I think I turned it off at 53 minutes.

Daxon on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aziz Ansari's stand-up is hilarious. I watched the first episode of Parks and Recreation and was bored off my face.

Tav on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The fundamental rule of all MMOs (and even their ancestors like MUDs and BBS door games and such) is that every single degree of freedom you allow the players will be exploited for griefing.

There is no in-game penalty large enough, no time-sink deep enough, no "player justice" strong enough to deter some people from using any and all means at their disposal for griefing.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    An MMO where the world is fundamentally changed by players seems like one of those things that sounds great on paper and gets really old really fast in reality because people are assholes.

Like I mean I doubt the reason MMOs haven't adopted the total sand box is monetary. It's probably because people suck, no, seriously they're assholes.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm sorry. I am just jaded after Rift.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought the Hangover was boring because it seemed to be trying so hard to go for the whacky surprise element of "oh wow, we don't remember anything AND THIS CRAZY THING HAPPENED OMG HOW WEIRD ISN'T THAT?"

I wasn't surprised when the third zany thing happened and I didn't care. "oh there's a tiger in your bathroom. how crazy. oh so there's a naked chinese man trapped in your car. fantastic"

What were you expecting? I mean the movie was pretty up front in what it was offering up.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I disagree on it being saturated. Now a game doesn't have to be purely player driven. But a game where the players feel like they have changed the world or accomplished something outside of just I beat boss X the big bad and were were number 150 doing world wide is a move forward.

I believe that mmos should be focusing on a combined experience of dynamic and static. I mean EQ 1 was in a way more dynamic than WoW is(look at the sleeper for example). Also a constant stream of content in smaller chunks alone other than new raid x and balance to classes wouldn't hurt either.

I don't expect miracles but the current design of mmos isn't moving one way or another because they see no reason to innovate. And sometimes just making someone feel like they have a stake in the world would be a step forward and that isn't a new thing. Player housing and so on has been around since the first mmo.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone see the news about Chinese prisoners doing gold farming?

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    To be honest Mori

I've seen all the twilight movies, ironically of course. They are actually really funny/tragically hilarious when it's all romance-y and shit.

Then the actions scenes are actually pretty cool, also there's some good eye candy in it.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also they are making a World of Warcraft theme park in China.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/gold-farming

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How do you balance making sure the world is dynamic and such while also making sure your content is being seen by a sufficient number of people to be worth while to produce?

If killing big bad boss number 1 is a big world changing event then how do you not make everyone who wasn't lucky enough to be in the group shit out of luck?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I disagree on it being saturated. Now a game doesn't have to be purely player driven. But a game where the players feel like they have changed the world or accomplished something outside of just I beat boss X the big bad and were were number 150 doing world wide is a move forward.

I believe that mmos should be focusing on a combined experience of dynamic and static. I mean EQ 1 was in a way more dynamic than WoW is(look at the sleeper for example). Also a constant stream of content in smaller chunks alone other than new raid x and balance to classes wouldn't hurt either.

I don't expect miracles but the current design of mmos isn't moving one way or another because they see no reason to innovate. And sometimes just making someone feel like they have a stake in the world would be a step forward and that isn't a new thing. Player housing and so on has been around since the first mmo.

It feels like it's moved backwards in some regards, though with my relative lack of experience that may just be "grass is greener syndrome." I hear about how MMOs like Ultima Online used to be, with lots of freedom and player interaction across multiple spectrums, and I'm just like "shit, generate a new world, upgrade the graphics and interface, and send me a bill for $15 every month!"

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

What were you expecting? I mean the movie was pretty up front in what it was offering up.

I'm guessing he was expecting to laugh, and when he didn't he didn't find it a good comedy?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.