As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The DC Universe (Established 2011) + Sept. Solicits

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll be honest...I just want to see Morrison's Superman. Hope he gets a great artist.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Firestorm might be good, though Van Sciver doesn't strike me as a particularly great writer, and it looks like the characters are being hit with a total reboot.

But Munch, if it's a total reboot then they might bring Gehenna back via some plot magic.

Right?

Right?
    Yeah, even I don't believe me.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lux wrote: »
    Some of these solicits just reek of throwing something, anything, against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Since Dido has come into power at DC it's been much like that, Cassandra Cain going evil? Reversed, Bart Allen being grown up and the Flash, hey it was our plan to kill him all the time and bring back Wally, Really! Yeah right. Here's Wally! Oh wait you don't like this?! Um, here's Barry! BARRY!!!! He's like Hal! You loved Hal and bought him a lot so you'll go for this! Wonder Womans numerous direction changes, Legion, hey we know you think this sucks under Mark Waid who is sitting here on the panel beside me so we're bringing back Jim Shooter!!! Wait you didn't care that he was even there? Here's the other Legion, you liked them right? Everyone enjoyed Crisis, it was the mega event that all others try to stand up too, so here's a bunch of various Crisis titled events! Green Arrow and Black Canary are getting married, it was a long time building up to it but finally it's happening! And now they're divorced, hahah! With OYL this is a good jumping on point with bold new adventures so you didn't have to read anything before to know what's going on! Only the regular readers will be confused, everyone wins!

I mean hell, does anyone remember Catwomans life changing event with the baby. No?

Oh well.

Cade on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wait, what about Catwoman and a baby?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    She had a kid and gave it up for adoption, this was what she was doing during OYL.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually, she had the baby at the start of OYL, then the next bunch of issues dealt with her having the baby, having people go nuts that it wasn't Bruces but some guy that no one cared about and then of course, OMFG she can't have a baby, so it became baby gets in danger, she puts it up for adoption so the child can live a happy life. Problem solved.

Until twenty or so years from now someone remembers and brings back the baby girl as the new Catgirl or whatever.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, I remember the baby being some relatively unknown person in the bat-world's kid.

It should have been another kid Ted Grant had, two little Wildcats running around.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Catwoman having a baby was pretty much a thing that happened but that is never ever referenced

Solar on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUh_Yl49l4

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That ending was pretty funny, I'll admit

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

That was great.

"I never read the first 40 years of Batman and I finished RIP all by myself."

"Snyder...Snyder won't make it to #900"

That's just so sad. :(

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Catwoman having a baby was pretty much a thing that happened but that is never ever referenced

Kind of like what a number of things that's happened at DC, hence the whole throw something at the wall and see if it sticks, if it doesn't, do something else again and again and again and again.

Dido really has no plan at all.

Cade on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That Hitler Reacts is the best I've seen

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    things I hope happen:

Vic Sage comes back leading to a Question and Answer series with Montoya. Give it to Rucka.

Ralph and Sue Ghost Detectives wirtten by Duane Swierzienski or however you spell his name

Secret Six becoming Suicide Squad. Waller in charge and everything. Ostrander or Simone can write this.

Swamp Thing ongoing with a good writer.

More Haunted Tank.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Going to take a guess and say that the Firestorm series will have them looking for the other "firestorms" to complete that big dudes big red buttons.
    firestorm_cv1.jpg

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh, I really hope Ralph and/or Sue comes back. I really don't think the Ghost Detectives thing has any legs, for reasons I've explained before. With one or both of them alive, I think it makes for a more interesting dynamic, than two dead people.

Munch on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I've been thinking that with the lantern ring being left off of Hal's finger, maybe now Green Lanterns will have power belts and all of their constructs will come from the groin area. Baseball bats, giant fists, etc.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DMAC wrote: »
    I've been thinking that with the lantern ring being left off of Hal's finger, maybe now Green Lanterns will have power belts and all of their constructs will come from the groin area. Baseball bats, giant fists, etc.

It's just a colorist error, they showed off the penciled version and the ring is there.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Going to take a guess and say that the Firestorm series will have them looking for the other "firestorms" to complete that big dudes big red buttons.
    firestorm_cv1.jpg
    I was thinking it'll be more like splitting the power of the Firestorm Matrix between the two to keep it from nuking existence. The Firestorm Matrix was still left unstable after the end of Brightest Day after all if I remember correctly. They'd only risk merging together then for hardcore trouble.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »
    firestorm_cv1.jpg
    I was thinking it'll be more like splitting the power of the Firestorm Matrix between the two to keep it from nuking existence. The Firestorm Matrix was still left unstable after the end of Brightest Day after all if I remember correctly. They'd only risk merging together then for hardcore trouble.

but look at those four empty buttons!

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Ugh, I really hope Ralph and/or Sue comes back. I really don't think the Ghost Detectives thing has any legs, for reasons I've explained before. With one or both of them alive, I think it makes for a more interesting dynamic, than two dead people.

i've given up on them being alive

but at least ghost detectiving might be fun

so long as they ain't gotta hijack bodies

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »

Which is pretty much all of OYL. They came up with an interesting dramatic twist and then spent an arc undoing it (Mortal superman, new aquaman, New York Nightwing, Mayor Green Arrow) It's part of the reason I'm worried about this. I don't know if their creative vision includes long term planning, just gambling and crossed fingers.

Lux on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bob Wayne sent a letter to retailers today. One part that is interesting:
    We know that you want more details on the creative teams and their title-by-title assignments for the launch. . (And by the way, let me just reiterate this point: this is the launch of the New DCU. It is not a “reboot.” I think you will soon discover why that is.)

(see the rest of the letter here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/02/dc-relaunch-not-a-reboot-holding-the-line-variants-72-discounts/ )

Some people are thinking that this means New DCU is another Earth in the 52 and the one we know will still exist.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I could buy another earth, might as well use the multiverse since you brought it back.

The discounts and returns are also very good, although the idea of having creators make youtube videos about why you should buy their books seems a bit off. Like, auditioning for the Real World off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9BWl85LMM

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rans wrote: »
    Bob Wayne sent a letter to retailers today. One part that is interesting:
    We know that you want more details on the creative teams and their title-by-title assignments for the launch. . (And by the way, let me just reiterate this point: this is the launch of the New DCU. It is not a “reboot.” I think you will soon discover why that is.)

(see the rest of the letter here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/02/dc-relaunch-not-a-reboot-holding-the-line-variants-72-discounts/ )

Some people are thinking that this means New DCU is another Earth in the 52 and the one we know will still exist.

I found this after falling down the comics editor rabbit hole on Twitter.

It's from JLA #0 (2006), and I had forgotten entirely about it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay Azzarello/Chiang Wonder Woman has singlehandedly sold me on this idea.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i've given up on them being alive

but at least ghost detectiving might be fun

so long as they ain't gotta hijack bodies
    Word. I never understood the appeal of that idea, when you have Deadman in the same universe.

Also, Darwyn Cooke may have something.. cooking in the DCU.

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    two little Wildcats running around.

That's not what I call him!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Four more GL books in the wake of this reboot/relaunch/rediddle:

GREEN LANTERN #1

Geoff Johns has been charting the adventures of Hal Jordan and the GREEN LANTERN Corps since GREEN LANTERN: Rebirth, collaborating with such major artists as Ethan Van Sciver, Darwyn Cooke, Prentis Rollins, Marlo Alquiza and Mick Gray.

This fall, Johns reunites with artists Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy, as the series begins anew with GREEN LANTERN #1 with cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado. Together they will continue to thrill readers and expand the Green Lantern mythos.Change is coming. But set aside your fear. It’ll be worth the wait.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

When deadly conflicts emerge across the universe, it’s up to Guy Gardner, John Stewart and an elite Green Lantern strike force to keep the peace. GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 will be written by Peter J. Tomasi with art by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna. The cover to #1 is by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy.

GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1

Who are The New Guardians?
    The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to be the most powerful (and colorful) team in the corps under the leadership of Kyle Rayner. Beware their power . . . and their volatility!
    GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1 will be written by Tony Bedard and illustrated with cover by Tyler Kirkham and Batt.

RED LANTERNS #1

Going solo. Atrocitus and his Red Lantern Corps return in their own series, battling against injustice in the most bloody ways imaginable. This Lantern Corps takes no prisoners, they are judge, jury and executioners!
    RED LANTERNS #1 will be written by Peter Milligan with art and cover by Ed Benes and Rob Hunter.

So John is now in Guy's book, and Kyle gets to lead the Crayola Cavalry.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Man you can't mention Darwyn Cooke in a solicitation like that

it only leads to disappointment

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Although it reminded me
    Keith wrote:
    Darwyn Cooke put up some pencils for Vigilante on his blog
    3518lt2.jpg

what it's for though is a mystery

I'm thinking Wednesday Comics 2

Hopefully this is still happening. Maybe it's part of the anthology book? Maybe there'll be a All Star Squadron or Seven Soldiers book?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I'm on board with buying anything Cooke draws ever.

DMAC on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am cool with the Green Lantern solicits. Sounds like the Green Lantern mythos escape being rebooted yet again.

edit: Ed Benes is an odd choice for Red Lanterns, though. Would have preferred someone who can do gore/horror.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Red Lanterns will either be delayed or have another artist by issue #3.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I gotta say this is a really stupid idea.

First comment: So DC got tired of fixing continuity in the DC universe by making a 'crisis' which marginally made the changes cannon, so they are just going to slap a new number 1 on the issues and say 'DO OVER' off the screen.

Second. I just dont get DC. I never understand these Crisis/reboots they keep doing. Sure you keep a character fresh by changing it up every now and then but you dont pretend it never happen.

Sure marvel did this with Spiderman and to some degree its own universe with the 'onslaught' storyline but they also UNDID most of it and only did it once really. DC's on what...its 5th reboot/crisis? Its just lazy writing. it just gives them an excuse to rewrite the same stories again and call it new because superman now has a super pet cat instead of a dog. At least Spiderman's reboot has been pretty interestingly done from a story perspective and actually changing things.

Just what the hell is wrong with issue number 935? Why does it now have to be issue 1? I'm a Thor collector (and others) and his numbering is in the 600's and im happy to have such a long running character.

Sure this isnt a complete reboot, obviously they are going to cherry pick parts of the existing continuity and edit out the things they dont like, like dead characters they want to bring back but it still is just such a lazy way to proceed. It basically nullifies every issue before it. Whats the point of having a living universe for your stories if that universe is constantly in flux.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited June 2011

GREEN LANTERN #1

Geoff Johns has been charting the adventures of Hal Jordan and the GREEN LANTERN Corps since GREEN LANTERN: Rebirth, collaborating with such major artists as Ethan Van Sciver, Darwyn Cooke, Prentis Rollins, Marlo Alquiza and Mick Gray.

This fall, Johns reunites with artists Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy, as the series begins anew with GREEN LANTERN #1 with cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado. Together they will continue to thrill readers and expand the Green Lantern mythos.Change is coming. But set aside your fear. It’ll be worth the wait.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

When deadly conflicts emerge across the universe, it’s up to Guy Gardner, John Stewart and an elite Green Lantern strike force to keep the peace. GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 will be written by Peter J. Tomasi with art by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna. The cover to #1 is by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy.

The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to be the most powerful (and colorful) team in the corps under the leadership of Kyle Rayner. Beware their power . . . and their volatility!
    GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1 will be written by Tony Bedard and illustrated with cover by Tyler Kirkham and Batt.

RED LANTERNS #1

Going solo. Atrocitus and his Red Lantern Corps return in their own series, battling against injustice in the most bloody ways imaginable. This Lantern Corps takes no prisoners, they are judge, jury and executioners!
    RED LANTERNS #1 will be written by Peter Milligan with art and cover by Ed Benes and Rob Hunter.

Tomasi back on GLC, yesssssssss

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I cannot grasp why anyone gives a shit about issue numbering

Furu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pretty glaring hint that Green Lantern #1 will star Sinestro through saying, "Set aside your fear."

That said, what would the Sinestro Corps be called without him as its leader?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

GREEN LANTERN #1

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

RED LANTERNS #1

Tomasi back on GLC, yesssssssss

Tomasi not writing the Kyle/Guy bromance, noooooooooooo.

So... no GL will die? Is this a 'you can escape fate' kind of thing?

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kyle leading the New Guardians seems like an odd choice

Tairu on