As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

help installing SecureCRT/SecureFX Software

Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to install this software for class. I really don't have any idea what I'm doing but I'll explain the problem and hope that someone can save me. I download the program it does its install thing and then a message pops up that says "this installation requires admin privileges." I have admin privileges on the computer I'm using, but for some reason it isn't recognizing them and thus it won't install the program I need. Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong. Please and thanks.

Death by Steaksauce!
Vera12 on

• Options
    AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK, so it looks like you're setting up SSH and FTP clients.

First question: What OS are you using? Windows or Mac?

Second question: Do you have to use these exact programs? Because there are small, simple, 100% free programs out there that can do the exact same thing, and don't require installing. For SSH, there's PuTTY (not as fully featured, but still works quite well), and for FTP, there's FileZilla

EDIT:

After poking around the site a bit more, it looks like SecureFX will only install on Windows, so I'm going to assume that that's what you're running. Right click on the file you downloaded, and choose "Run as Administrator" That should solve your problem.

Anororn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am using windows and the program from the schools website. I don't know if I absolutely have to use them as I have no idea what I'm doing and the gooses I ordered textbooks from sent me the wrong one and I haven't got the right one yet. I think I'm supposed to be connected to some kind of cloud network or something that is hosted by the school and downloading the program was listed as one of the steps to connect. I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Looks like we were posting simultaneously. Sorry about that!

Anyway, right click, "Run as Administrator"

Also, let me give you a quick run down of SSH, since it doesn't sound like you quite get what it is.

SSH stands for Secure Shell. It's used to connect to a remote computer so that you can issue commands as though you were sitting in front of it. It's commonly used in connecting to user accounts on remote servers, or for things like server admin. It seems likely that you'll be doing the former. What I'm going to guess you're probably going to be doing (and if I'm wrong, I apologize) is creating something on your computer, then uploading to the server with FTP (File Transfer Protocol), then accessing it and doing something with it on the remote computer using SSH. It's not uncommon for it to work that way in programming classes I've taken, for example. It sounds like you have a book and will be getting instruction on using the program, but I'm also going to recommend that you learn a little about using the terminal in Linux, since most servers set up this way are UNIX derivatives, and learning more about making a computer bend to your will doesn't strike me as a bad thing.

Also also, if you're unfamiliar with command lines and such, you won't be by the time you're done with this class. While SSH can have a graphical display from the remote computer, a plain old command line is far more common.

Anororn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the explanation and you're right I had no idea what it is. I've tried the run as administrator thing, but it isn't an option. The program never actually gets installed on my computer that I can find. It almost gets installed and then I get an error message about needing to be an administrator even though I already am. It's possible its hiding somewhere and I just can't find it, but I don't know where to look for it. If it helps it will be a web development class using XHTML and we will be using the FTP to upload the files to the school server. (I think.) I'm at the end of my rope here and everything's closed until Monday, when the class starts.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OK, if it was almost installed, it should have done things that required admin rights already (putting things in the Program Files directories, modifying the registry, etc). It's possible it's actually installed, but just can't get shortcuts set up or something like that. Try going to the directory it's installed in in Program Files, and see if you can run the .exe from there. If it works, I'd imagine you're good, and you should be able to make your own shortcuts.

Also, are you sure that "Run as administrator" isn't showing up? It should be right near the top of the list when you right-click on the setup file. Though, now that I think about it, are you using Windows Vista/7, or Windows XP?

Anororn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm using Window's 7.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I finally figured it out. Apparently I had to save the file to my computer then install it as an administrator rather than just being able to push the download button on the site. Thanks for all your help and I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass. The mods can lock this if they want to.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alright, well, check to see if you can run the program from the Program Files directories. If it runs and connects and all that, you're probably good.

Anororn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Programs runs as far as I can tell. Thanks again. Now on to the next step in the instructions.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!