As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2011] NINTENDO - Post-keynote wrap-up and discussion here!

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not interested at all. No Wii games, no sale. More of Nintendo's same old, same old, while Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower are left to rot.
    They could still show up on the show floor? I remember Monado, or whatever it was first called, didn't get shown until after the conference.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If a sufficient number of games I really want are pledged for the Wii U and there aren't equal versions available on PS360, I will bite.

It's all about the games. I don't care if your tablet wins every tech innovation prize there is. Games. Smash and Pikmin? OK. That's two games.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's usually a lot more software once we find out where they're hiding the press media website this year and we all log on with the never changing golin/harris combo.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.abload.de/img/10jk42.gif

Remember: The finished Zelda games always end up better looking than the tech-demos.

EDIT: Was a bit too big.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Err... You may want to edit that. Inlining 8MB GIFs is a big no-no.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So word on the street is that the WiiU only supports using one pad controller, while everyone else must use Wiimotes / 3DS.

No...No that's way too stupid to be true

It actually makes sense since the two examples of multilayer game play they showed only had one person using the pad controller and the others using the wiimotes.
    It makes sense because what system could possibly render four 480p screens and one 1080p screen.

This. Especially when it would have to push all four of those 480p screens over wireless.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck, double post.

Anyway, I am sure Zelda will look like fourteen orgasms and Avatar 2 duct-taped together, Smash 4 will pretty much destroy us and Pikmin will look stunning and creative.

But that's all in 2013 at best, I am pretty damn sure of that. OK, Pikmin in 2012 I guess. It'll take more than standardized multiplats, ports from the last generation and the usual Nintendo fare. I want Starfox and F-Zero and maybe even something like Eternal Darkness if I feel especially indulgent and demanding. I want games that can be played for a long time with friends and more complex, content-rich games. All this hardware chattering is almost grating when coupled with the silence on software that offers a great experience on its own.

But. Skywards Sword looked disappointing at first as well but it really looks solid now. So whatever. Wait and see. Not like I have to pledge to buy it now.

Absalon on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every major new console tends to have two E3s. First E3 is the reveal with few details, second E3 is the "hey it's coming soon, here are the games" conference.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was going to say the Dreamcast had those little VMUs that you'd plug into the controller, mainly to save your progress on various games, but didn't a few of the games also have some extra little sidebits to do with the VMUs?

I seem to remember you getting to look at your playbook on the VMU when playing football games.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Badwrong wrote: »
    I could care less about what the graphics look like at this point...

Argh do I have to pull out that video again people?

I probably should I have said I meant specifically to previews of a console that isn't released yet.

Ugh... I keep seeing the name Wii U and it gets worse the more I hear/see it.
    Reboots are all the fad nowdays... why the fuck didnt they just call it NES or something... that would be sweet. Or even just simply, Nintendo would be rad. Not some name thats geared at making a point.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I could care less about what the graphics look like at this point...

Argh do I have to pull out that video again people?

I probably should I have said I meant specifically to previews of a console that isn't released yet.

You missed the point. It's "I couldn't care less". Saying "I could care less" means that it is still possible to...well, care less about something.

I suspect the ability to play games entirely on the controller (well, without using the TV) may be a welcome addition to married people and kids. If your dad wants to monopolize the TV for a football game or your wife wants to watch some asinine soap opera, plug in some headphones and keep playing on the controller.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am...almost completely uninterested if the 1 pad + X Wiimote thing turns out to be true.

Almost.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They showed Pikmin? It's actually a question since my browser crashed several times during the keynote, so I may have missed that.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sadly, no.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am...almost completely uninterested if the 1 pad + X Wiimote thing turns out to be true.

Almost.

Currently I think there is no way to know. Nintendo hasn't said anything for sure, they're just showing demos with only one screen controller being used per system for now.

It should be possible to do something like two players with 720p on the TV.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That Zelda concert had better come to Canada.

Where would I go to find out dates and times eventually?

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have to say that Zelda HD video is looking mightily impressive. Hope it gets expanded upon instead of pulling a Wind Waker, however much I liked it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I actually don't think the controller's that bad, though single touch is a crime.

Please explain why multitouch is better than L1/L2/joystick plus stylus.

Eliss

Slice HD

Multipong HD

Multitouch isn't used as nicely as this in most iPhone games, but there's a lot of unexplored potential, and someone like Nintendo could really benefit from having the tech. Consider a Pikmin game that could let you pin down and control multiple Pikmin simultaneously, or a Hotel Dusk adventure game that has you manipulating multiple levers at once.

I was planning on going handheld-only from here on in, and the WiiU* hasn't changed my opinion. I doubt whatever Sony or MS cook up next will either, though.

* Between "WiiU" and "Vita," I'm officially inoculated to terrible game console names. Bring on the MS Poopsock.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If this "one pad + X wiimotes" thing is true, why can't they just let you use multiple pads but disable the screens? I'd rather have a normal control scheme (dual sticks + triggers) for most games than attempt to use the wack Wiimote to play a game with some friends.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    All the Wii accessories work on it, so you can simply use a Classic Controller if the game doesn't demand motion control. Saves a bunch of money too.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    All the Wii accessories work on it, so you can simply use a Classic Controller if the game doesn't demand motion control. Saves a bunch of money too.

Didn't really think about that, and that works well I guess. I do like the new classic controller.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't see any player lights on the Wii U controller, which makes me think that you only use one of those is likely.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not interested at all. No Wii games, no sale. More of Nintendo's same old, same old, while Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower are left to rot.

I... what? Oh. It's CJ.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They're also all on:

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/#/all/

But the site is pretty borked for me.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Two new Kirby games, one for Wii, one for DS. Both look fun!

Mario Party 9 looks like it could be fun too.

I think the 3DS Animal Crossing will be my first in that series.

Jishian on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope I'm not the first to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Mario/DragonQuest/Monopoly mash up for Wii is certainly a thing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    4 player Kirby!?!?! Yes please!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You definately aren't. Nintendo is the CHOSEN ONE.

Jishian on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    exmello on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Mario/DragonQuest/Monopoly mash up for Wii is certainly a thing.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised they're bringing it over here. Then again I guess it's a way to keep the Wii seat warm while Ninty throws their weight behind WiiU.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah. No Dragon Quest X info.

Algertman on
  • Options
    OralfunbagsOralfunbags Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Thought on the Wii U announcement:

The name Wii: People will piss and moan for a few months but honestly guys Wii U isn't much of a stretch from Wii 2. Nintendo has been a sucker for its own branding since (edit) forever, I'm surprised no one thought of this before, seeing as the Wii was pronounced to sound like 'We'. The name Wii 2 wasn't going to fly in a marketplace with its main competitors having a the number 3 in their name. Give it 6 month, there will be a number of gaming conventions between now and then, and just like the name 'Wii' everyone will forget about it.

The controller: Cool, I see what their doing here. It's called having your cake and eating it too. The Wii U controller looks to provide every single possible controller option that currently exists on the market (Except maybe those joysticks for flight simulators). Why is this important? Developers don't have to feel prohibited from releasing content for the console because of the control scheme (as it was with the Wii) and all the blue ocean consumers Nintendo snagged over the last 5 years wont feel inhibited from enjoying content on the console due to its considerably more confusing controller layout. Casual gamers and developers might just use the touchscreen and the triggers. But the hardcore folk can still bust out 1st person shooters with their dual stick, face buttons and triggers. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention though, how many of these new controllers can I have connected at once? All the demos, hands on and media kit information show configurations that only show one controller connected at a time. I know it would be illogical for them to do it but damn I would like some confirmation. The face is flat giving it a tablet finish, but around the back there are handles and triggers, so I'm confident it wont be too cumbersome to hold for extended periods of time.

System Specs: Nintendo have been wary giving out individual hardware specs since the PS2 and OXbox specs apparently trounced those of the GCN. That will show Nintendo for giving out realistic specs that take into account all aspects of the system, rather than just the number of raw polygons it could push. I read an article somewhere that mentioned the Power7 core used in the Watson AI system. Sounds good to me, I don't know enough about systems architecture to say one way or another, but the graphics looks more than a step up from the Wii. It's like a jump from VHS all the way to BRD.

tl;dr People will get over the name, the controller has handles and currently supports all(majority) existing gameplay styles, the games look purdy.

Oralfunbags on
    sigpic.jpg
    We know your weakness; our rocketsauce!
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why is nobody talking about Skyward Sword it looks so good :(

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The latest trailer is probably the best one I've seen so far, but I have zero interest in flailing around. Even for Zelda.

Jishian on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    Oh yeah. No Dragon Quest X info.
    Even if the series is kinda catching on here, we're not Japan. TGS is more likely a place for that.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whip Kirby.

That is awesome.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The fact that the game controller is, at it's core, basically a standard controller feels like a good omen.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)