As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Super Mario 3D Land less than a month away!

1929394959698»

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Damn, if that is the case then that is one hell of an item!

I wonder if the seventh is the Tanooki tail and we just can't see it or what.

NNID: Rehab0
  • UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    Damn, if that is the case then that is one hell of an item!

I wonder if the seventh is the Tanooki tail and we just can't see it or what.

As long as it is not 3 bananas :(

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    It's a shame this isn't on 3DS, as it would make me buy one immediately:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351CO5_8fbM

Are there any similar games on the system, maybe a Jump Superstars sequel in the works?

Or the Blue Shell of Inevitable Doom as that would just be too much. I bet the other one was a single mushroom.

Seems like the obvious way to go with Lucky 7 if you can use each item once would be to use the star and then reign down destruction with the other items as you zoom along. Especially if the items can get knocked away from you after getting hit, although I would guess that they act as a shield too much like being surrounded with red or green shells.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote:
    Are there any similar games on the system, maybe a Jump Superstars sequel in the works?

I don't know of anything out right now, but at E3 a new Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS was announced. That's probably at least two years away, though.

edited October 2011
    If anyone wants the next 3DS thread someone else is more then welcome to take it.

I don't own a system yet and would kind of like to avoid having to dig for information for certain games that are releasing soon, but I know that people probably want that kind of stuff in the OP too. So yeah, the next thread is up for grabs . . . now!

Rehab on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Some more Heroes of Ruin screenshots came out recently in MPO format. You can see them at the HoR site or just go to 3ds-screenshot.com in your 3DS browser to see them in 3D.

And I gotta say, while they look merely decent in 2D, something about the 3D really makes this game shine. I converted three of the screens to cross eye/parallel format:

qkLoQ.png

rVSPQ.png

zrbcd.png

One thing that 3D really adds to is the lighting, which is slightly different from each eye's viewpoint just like in real life. The ground on the first screen there looks really wet, and the shine effect on the ground in the second screen just pops more in 3D.

The ship is pretty cool by itself in 2D, but on the 3DS it looks awesome. It's not quite the same just crossing your eyes, you need to see it on the system.

More info on HoR has been coming out regularly at their site, which I was surprised to see, generally sites like that are just for a little PR and screens and that's it. But they have a podcast and a whole community thing going on there.

Some of the things I've read about:

- The game has 80,000+ randomly generated items (think Diablo style, prefixes and suffixes)
    - 227 enemy types (I wouldn't assume they all have unique models)
    - 24 environment types/graphic sets
    - D-pad and touch screen for using various items like potions, face buttons for special moves
    - Does not support the circle pad add-on, wasn't made with it in mind
    - Players can jump into a game in progress any time, either locally or online
    - Automatic level scaling on damage and XP so lower level players can play with high level friends
    - Any player can pause their game at any time in multi, monsters will simply ignore that player and the difficulty scales briefly - sounds open to abuse!?
    - No PVP yet, possibly in future sequels
    - You can see the gear you equip on your character, lots of character customization
    - Three skill trees per class
    - You can save at any time in single or multi without losing any XP or items
    - Enemies turn red for brief periods of time, which means they won't take damage and you'll be open to counterattacks
    - StreetPass and SpotPass item trading/selling, and downloadable challenges every day for at least one year
    - The game tracks which friends you play with, and you earn special benefits and perks for playing with the same group a lot
    - Several previewers compared the multiplayer feeling to Secret of Mana

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I was unaware of Heroes of Ruin, and now I'm really excited about it and can't wait for it to release.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Oh also ArcSyn I forgot to mention what is probably its flagship feature, which is voice chat.

Yeah I really can't wait for it either. I dreamed of portable Diablo for years.
    Rehab wrote:
    If anyone wants the next 3DS thread someone else is more then welcome to take it.

I don't own a system yet and would kind of like to avoid having to dig for information for certain games that are releasing soon, but I know that people probably want that kind of stuff in the OP too. So yeah, the next thread is up for grabs . . . now!

Unless somebody else does it up before me I guess I will do it. I'm usually the person to post news in the thread anyway.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    So Kirby's Adventure 3D...announced for Europe the same day as zelda and mario. They either love or hate you euro types.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So Kirby's Adventure 3D...announced for Europe the same day as zelda and mario. They either love or hate you euro types.

Man wtf?!!? I was having trouble deciding between the first two already! But I think I'll go with Mario. I'm afraid that I'll burn out on Zelda, since I have been playing OoT, LA, Zelda 1 and 2 and Four Swords recently :P

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    so it looks like the old Double Dragon is on the eshop. I'm actually thinking about getting this one.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    So if I'm understanding this community thing in Mario Kart 7 correctly, it sounds like everything we ever needed. You make a community, and share the "community code", and anyone who adds it can play with everyone in that community. :D

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote:

I'll take the next thread if you don't mind. Got some ideas for a new OP, although I'll reuse the current one until I iron it out.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Hulu Plus is now available on basically everything I own, along with Netflix. Awesome.

uyvfOQy.png
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Rehab wrote:

I'll take the next thread if you don't mind. Got some ideas for a new OP, although I'll reuse the current one until I iron it out.

I said I'd take it above but I didn't necessarily want to, so it's all yours. :)

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    3D Classics Kid Icarus is cool and all, but I'd rather they had gone Zero Mission on that one.

At the very least, I hope they tweak it a bit. Say, Down + A to go through a platform, rather than just down?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Oh My God Megaman Legends 3!

Is still never coming out.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Okay, should I buy Zero Collection or Ghost Trick?

aw damn I thought it was the NES Double Dragon but it's the greyscale GB one. :(

• either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Most people will want to skip this post as it's just me needing to vent some anger about my recent 3DS purchase!
    I just bought myself a 3DS in the last week and while I'm really impressed with the console itself and some of the games that will be coming out soon I can't believe how badly Nintendo have fucked up the pricing on everything in Europe. I hadn't experienced their shop before as I upgraded straight from the DS lite, so this has come as a bit of a surprise. The games here are the equivalent of $60-70 each when not discounted by retailers and the eshop prices are similarly crazy, $10 for Link's Awakening (which I wouldn't mind if it weren't the case that it were being offered cheaper everywhere else on the planet and almost half the price in the US, except other GBC games that aren't remotely as good will hit that price point too). There are things in the eshop like the notepad that I cannot believe they are charging so much for. Not to mention there are straight ports of games available on the PC and other formats that are up to 5x more expensive in the 3DS store despite not containing any new features. Whose decision was it to add a few cents/pence to every game in the shop so that I have to add 20 into my eshop account instead of 10 to buy my games? It's ridiculous. I won't go on as I'm sure it's been said before and it is really boring to read, I can just feel my goodwill towards Nintendo evaporating completely. They screw Europe over more often and for more money than any other games company I can think at the moment. Right now I really wish I had delayed picking up a 3DS a little longer.

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053

Well obviously you like Mega Man or you probably wouldn't ask about the Zero Collection, but personally, Ghost Trick is an amazing game. Awesome story, animation, music, everything. I highly recommend it.
    aw damn I thought it was the NES Double Dragon but it's the greyscale GB one. :(

You didn't buy it without knowing, did you? There should be screens and everything in the shop.

And yeah, it's pretty old school, short and simple. Probably not worth it...hopefully better games will be coming soon, especially from other old handhelds.

Haha nah, I didn't buy it, just got bummed out when I actually looked at the screens and saw it wasn't what I thought it was.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

There was a demo for Ghost Trick on the Wii > DS download service for a while, not sure if it's still there.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Picked up Asphalt 3D and Lego Star Wars cheap this weekend. Asphalt is nice but a bit choppy - Lego SW is awesome though. I'll probably eventually get Ridge Racer for better arcade action but for less than 20 bucks each I can't complain.

I haven't played Asphalt but what I've heard is in line with what you say...personally I really enjoyed Ridge Racer. It's very competent despite its launch game status. I'd have a hard time rationalizing buying two racers in this vein for the same system but hopefully RR will go on sale for you at some point.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular

Well obviously you like Mega Man or you probably wouldn't ask about the Zero Collection, but personally, Ghost Trick is an amazing game. Awesome story, animation, music, everything. I highly recommend it.

Ghost Trick is probably the best game on the DS. I couldn't believe how good it was, and I was expecting a lot.

MNC Dover wrote:
    Rehab wrote:

I said I'd take it above but I didn't necessarily want to, so it's all yours. :)

Sold to Mr Dover! Thank you all for participating.

I don't know if it's the content providers, or Nintendo, or both, but the people involved in Nintendo Video really are incompetent.

A trailer for Puss in Boots went up recently, and the aspect ratio was wrong. It was squashed horizontally with bars on the side. A new version went up today, and they fixed it... by cropping it. It's still squished, they just cropped the black bars off.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.