Options

[SW:TOR]OMG PRE-ORDER OMG! (Wait Collector's Edition is $150? D:) Pre-Order Details in OP

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So are all those things your companions can do, or can I actively take my character out on Diplomacy and Treasure Hunting missions?

Because damn that sounds incredibly awesome.

The way I understand it, these are limited to your companions.
    Gathering resources can be done both by yourself and your companions.
    Crafting is player only, I think.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    juanpierrejuanpierre Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just reserved my copy of TOR at my local Gamestop.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Crafting is player only, I think.

Pretty sure I heard that you order your mans to craft something too, which takes X time units to complete.

Echo on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so the video mentions that you can have at least 5 companions working on a project. Anyone know if there is a max number of companions that you can get? do I have to kick someone out if I go over the limit?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So you guys just mention there's a new Q&A from the beta tester without bothering to LINK it xP?

As for companions, I think you can get all available to your class. But you can only have... one with you, I think?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Crafting looks well thought out. Essentially, it is designed so that much of the grunt work of crafting can be handled offline and/or via your companions. And in addition, for nerds like me who just hate crafting, I can send my companions out to do missions/diplomacy and receive rewards that way. I like this last option a lot, because it can be a great RP tool.

This appears to be some solid thinking by the design team. It provides a rich system to make things (or acquire things), but it removes some of the drudgery of crafting (like standing at a damn crafting table spamming the same key to make 1000 bandages).

I likes the answer posted at the bottom of page 8 on auto-face. Thanks for posting that, even if I don't get it in PvP, where I feel its most needed. I guess I just have to live with the fact PvP battles are just never going to be cinematic, or interesting to watch.

And I know I rave on and on about WoT, but one thing I love about the tank game is how they handle death. You die in a PvP session - you die. There's no respawn. You're dead. You can either watch the rest of the fight through the eyes of another toon on your team, or you can click a button, leave the session and start another session in a different toon immediately. You literally can earn XP, on two toons this way.

From a pure PvP perspective, this is just a superb way to design fighting. Respawning just makes PvP even more LOL. And of course graveyard camping which goes hand-in-hand with it.

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    so the video mentions that you can have at least 5 companions working on a project. Anyone know if there is a max number of companions that you can get? do I have to kick someone out if I go over the limit?

I don't think there's been confirmation one way or another, but I hope it works something like the kotor games: you can get lots of companions, but can't take them with you all at once. And I guess each persons story is supposed to net you a certain number of companions naturally through the story progression, and it'd be neat if more were unlocked through late game quests, or rep or flashpoints and stuff like that

Javen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Some Bioware dude recently confirmed that there are a total of 5 companions for each class.

edit: Q&A

Maz- on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Q. How would you describe your gameplay type? From your description of yourself it seems that you are focused a lot on the end game of most of the games you have played.
    A. My gameplay focus for WoW was end-game raids, for this game I want to do EVERYTHING, it is that good.

:)

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Q. Do you plan to buy the game and pay the monthly fee even after doing so much game testing? Why?
    A. Yes, Yes, Yes. This is the best game I have ever played.

It's stuff like this that makes me very excited. This isn't PR crap. It's a real player.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    juanpierre wrote: »
    Q. Do you plan to buy the game and pay the monthly fee even after doing so much game testing? Why?

It's stuff like this that makes me very excited. This isn't PR crap. It's a real player.

Or its a PR person pretending to be a real person. DUN DUN DUN!

emp123 on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    20 Flashpoints by level 20 sounds impressive. I wonder if the flow keeps on like that.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That part I actually found hard to believe.
    20 different flashpoints sounds too good to be true, to be honest. Even if, they had to be pretty short, 15-20 minutes, 1 boss fight each or so.

Maz- on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Eh... call me a cynic, but "this is the best game I have ever played" sets of alarm bells in my head. Maybe the game is really good, maybe everything in that interview is also hyperbole.

exis on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LIGHTSABERS, exis. LIGHTSABERS

SPACE WIZARDS

BIOWARE COMPANION FUCKING

er, uh

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some Bioware dude recently confirmed that there are a total of 5 companions for each class.

I think it was 5 "unique" companions for each class, and some companions that are cross class.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    spamfilter wrote: »

I think it was 5 "unique" companions for each class, and some companions that are cross class.

Nope, don't think any cross-class companions have been mentioned. Would be a good question to pose to someone who's in the beta, though.

Maz- on
  • Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From the Q&A:

Q. So for the lightsaber restrictions is purple going to be restricted to blacks only? thats all you see in the movie with purple sabers.
    A. That’s racist.

That there is golden. haha

lostprophet on
    Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That part I actually found hard to believe.
    20 different flashpoints sounds too good to be true, to be honest. Even if, they had to be pretty short, 15-20 minutes, 1 boss fight each or so.

Especially considering that light side characters presumably have different flashpoints from dark side characters, yeah, that's a lot of repeatable content just between levels 1 and 20.

SammyF on
  • Options
    JohnnyKongJohnnyKong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My first impression was that he might have confused world quests (like we saw at E3 of Alderaan) with actual Flashpoints?

JohnnyKong on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That or he had the opportunity to do flashpoints 20 times, but maybe he was including repeats?

captaink on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From the Q&A:

Q. So for the lightsaber restrictions is purple going to be restricted to blacks only? thats all you see in the movie with purple sabers.
    A. That’s racist.

Just came here to post this. Still laughing from it.

My anticipation level for this game keeps going crazy with each subsequent Q&A. Each time I read a new one I tell myself that will be the last time I do so, just to keep myself in check. And then I never hold to that promise. Damn my weak will.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh no, there are daily quests. Nooooo.

Well I am pretty much set on PvP being my end-game. Maybe some of that space combat too.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Oh no, there are daily quests. Nooooo.

Yeah I saw that too. Gotta have something for gold sellers to do.

One thing I will really miss from WoW is fishing.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I wanted to do everything in WoW, too.

The problem is I got done doing it like, two years ago and the only thing that stays fresh is raiding.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I wanted to do everything in WoW, too.

The problem is I got done doing it like, two years ago and the only thing that stays fresh is raiding.

Shit. If I get 4 years of premium enjoyment out of a game, I'd call it a success. Generally I only play a game for 4-6 months tops.

juanpierre on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They said you have a max of 5 companions at any one time. They also hinted or even said that you will be meeting more and can even loose them. I believe each companion is unique to the class. I assume this is because it's bad enough to see doubles when playing with the same class seeing even more people running around with your pal might compound this immersion breaking.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The E3 stuff, as I remember, said 5 companions per class. All class unique.

You can take 1 at a time with you out into the world. The rest hang out on your ship. From there, you can send them on missions or have them do your bitch work for you, like crafting.

shryke on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "I expect to see five new lightsabers when I get back or I'm leaving you on this dust ball."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I love how they make it seem like they're your companions or whatever. In actuality, they are basically your kidnapping victims and slaves.

shryke on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From the Q&A:

A. That’s racist.

That may be the funniest thing Ive read all day.

emp123 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never bothered to find this out, but it just occured to me. Can you get yellow lightsabers? I like yellow ones. Like the color you could get in the jedi knight games.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never bothered to find this out, but it just occured to me. Can you get yellow lightsabers? I like yellow ones. Like the color you could get in the jedi knight games.

There were yellow ones in KOTOR so I'll presume so.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

From one of the old leaks.
    Q. Could you list all available lightsaber colors. Are there variations of the colors (light blue, dark blue, etc)
    A. Blue, Red, Yellow, Purple, Orange. These are the only ones I have seen and no, I havent seen variations.

He missed green though, I'm 99% sure there's green as well.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    $9.99 with the Luke Skywalker pack.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    spoken like a man who played CoX

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    exis wrote: »

Eh... call me a cynic, but "this is the best game I have ever played" sets of alarm bells in my head. Maybe the game is really good, maybe everything in that interview is also hyperbole.

To be fair, a lot of people can have really bad opinions on video games.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, I love how they make it seem like they're your companions or whatever. In actuality, they are basically your kidnapping victims and slaves.

Slave Leia outfits, please. 1000 years in the past or not, that look it timeless.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Slave Leia outfits, please. 1000 years in the past or not, that look it timeless.

Especially on companions like these.

Maz- on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't recognize a single one of those characters.

Fizban140 on
This discussion has been closed.