Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Tell Me About Tablets

135

Posts

  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    If anything, Media Monkey vs iTunes really highlights the whole "Apple enthusiast vs Apple hater" issue. I love Media Monkey because it does what I want, how I tell it to as opposed to iTunes which attempts to take control away from you with Borg like efficiency and expects you to work within its confines. If that works for you well...good for you I guess. I need more power than an Apple product can deliver though.

    Here's the thing -- library organization is fairly simple, and the underlying directory structure doesn't matter if you're searching and sorting on ID3 tags anyway. Though I am fine with the way iTunes sorts by default (\iTunes Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3), I could care less what it's doing on the back end because I never need to look at it. Files and structure aren't the important part.
    I do not use sorting by genre/artist/etc mostly just because my collection is so massive that sorting via actual drive location is a helluva lot easier.

    what the hell does your directory tree look like if it isn't separated into folders by artist?

    even if it's \Music\B\Bruce Springsteen\ you're still accomplishing the same thing as searching on the artist name

    Monoxide on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a few main folders currently: A Full Albums folder that contains collections/single albums/soundtracks, a Singles folder that contains random single songs from my early internet days, a Video Game music folder that..well..take a guess, and a couple of misc folders. I'm contemplating doing an overhaul of the whole thing since it's definitely outgrown my original layout.

    I do sort the actual folders by artist, I just meant that I don't use genre/artist/etc. ID3 tag searching/sorting in whatever program I'm using due to the sheer size of my collection. For instance, sorting by artist would still leave me with a massive wall of info to go through, sorting by album, same thing. If I tried to just use searches to cut my way through all of that then if I search by artist I could still end up being confronted with a massive wall of stuff (Frank Zappa, for instance, was a very prolific guy). My best option in many cases would be searching via album, but that just gets clunky in a hurry.

    Sorting via folder location however means that everything is rolled into a far more manageable, easily browsed through layout AND it's setup however I damn well please in order to further optimize the whole affair. At this point I've grown so accustomed to doing it this way over the years that doing it like everyone else just proves to be slow as shit. That's one of the reasons I love Rockbox so much. It has the same options for location sorting.

    Besides, genres like Dubstep are notoriously annoying to keep properly tagged due to the way a lot of the artists like to release their stuff.

    TOGSolid on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    if MediaMonkey can't handle searching through your 200GB, it sounds like MediaMonkey isn't really as great as you claim it is. iTunes can handle searching and sorting my 140GB (and growing) just fine, and always has.

    Monoxide on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Monoxide wrote: »
    if MediaMonkey can't handle searching through your 200GB, it sounds like MediaMonkey isn't really as great as you claim it is. iTunes can handle searching and sorting my 140GB (and growing) just fine, and always has.

    I never said that it couldn't handle it. In fact, I said that it was vastly superior to iTunes. I've been using MM for years and love it to death. I'm not sure where I said it couldn't handle it. What I did say was that I just do not like the way that ID3 sorting and searching presents me with information.

    I attempted to use iTunes when I got an iPod Touch and after using MM for so long, I just absolutely hated every aspect of iTunes which led to me giving the device away. That's the difference though. You are ok with working within how iTunes wants you to do things, I'm not. I manage my library differently and it does not line up with Fuhrer Job's vision of how I should manage my library.

    TOGSolid on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Monoxide wrote: »
    if MediaMonkey can't handle searching through your 200GB, it sounds like MediaMonkey isn't really as great as you claim it is. iTunes can handle searching and sorting my 140GB (and growing) just fine, and always has.

    I never said that it couldn't handle it. In fact, I said that it was vastly superior to iTunes. I've been using MM for years and love it to death. I'm not sure where I said it couldn't handle it. What I did say was that I just do not like the way that ID3 sorting and searching presents me with information.

    I attempted to use iTunes when I got an iPod Touch and after using MM for so long, I just absolutely hated every aspect of iTunes which led to me giving the device away. That's the difference though. You are ok with working within how iTunes wants you to do things, I'm not. I manage my library differently and it does not line up with Fuhrer Job's vision of how I should manage my library.

    Wouldn't then a windows 7 tablet or waiting for a windows 8 tablet be the ideal choice then if you want the way Mediamonkey works?

    Ziggymon on
    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited June 2011
    The difference being that "Der Fuhrer's" vision is a pretty streamlined way if you're, you know, a normal human being

    someone more eloquent than myself may even call it intuitive

    Senshi on
    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I get that you prefer a different way of organizing it, but I (and most people, judging by the popularity of iTunes) would prefer not to have to think about it.

    When it boils down to it, most of the arguments I've heard against using iTunes involves either audiophiles bitching about FLAC, or people who download incredible amounts of garbage from sites like OCRemix saying they can never find anything correctly because they have singles by ten thousand different "artists" which are all actually terrible in the first place.

    If that's your situation, that's fine, but at least recognize that your specific niche isn't going to apply to 99% of the population.

    Monoxide on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I never said that it couldn't handle it. In fact, I said that it was vastly superior to iTunes. I've been using MM for years and love it to death. I'm not sure where I said it couldn't handle it. What I did say was that I just do not like the way that ID3 sorting and searching presents me with information.

    I attempted to use iTunes when I got an iPod Touch and after using MM for so long, I just absolutely hated every aspect of iTunes which led to me giving the device away. That's the difference though. You are ok with working within how iTunes wants you to do things, I'm not. I manage my library differently and it does not line up with Fuhrer Job's vision of how I should manage my library.
    I'd like a specific example of one sort or function that frustrated you when you used iTunes. I think it would be most illuminating.

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    iTunes is fine deal w it

    Your amazing essay on the merits and advantages of iTunes is incredible! Never before has this forum seen such linguistic prowess used to such astounding effect!

    I dare say that you may have crafted the greatest post this board will ever see. Nay, you have shook the heavens themselves.

    do you have aspergers

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I have a few main folders currently: A Full Albums folder that contains collections/single albums/soundtracks, a Singles folder that contains random single songs from my early internet days, a Video Game music folder that..well..take a guess, and a couple of misc folders. I'm contemplating doing an overhaul of the whole thing since it's definitely outgrown my original layout.

    I do sort the actual folders by artist, I just meant that I don't use genre/artist/etc. ID3 tag searching/sorting in whatever program I'm using due to the sheer size of my collection. For instance, sorting by artist would still leave me with a massive wall of info to go through, sorting by album, same thing. If I tried to just use searches to cut my way through all of that then if I search by artist I could still end up being confronted with a massive wall of stuff (Frank Zappa, for instance, was a very prolific guy). My best option in many cases would be searching via album, but that just gets clunky in a hurry.

    Sorting via folder location however means that everything is rolled into a far more manageable, easily browsed through layout AND it's setup however I damn well please in order to further optimize the whole affair. At this point I've grown so accustomed to doing it this way over the years that doing it like everyone else just proves to be slow as shit. That's one of the reasons I love Rockbox so much. It has the same options for location sorting.

    Besides, genres like Dubstep are notoriously annoying to keep properly tagged due to the way a lot of the artists like to release their stuff.
    oh you listen to dubstep.

    oh.

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Disliking a company's business practices and a product they make doesn't mean it isn't the best option currently available.
    To quote Doug Stanhope: Yeah, but that's like being the prettiest Denny's waitress.

    iOS would be vaguely okish if it wasn't for the fact that if you want to transfer anything from your desktop to an iOS device you're still bound by that horrible piece of shitty mcshittershit dickshit program iTunes (which is a rant for an entirely different thread). Even ignoring that I don't really care for how controlled and tightly wound iOS feels. I want to use my stuff the way I want, not the way that cockwaffle Steve Jobs wants.

    I think my best bet is to just completely forget about the whole tablet thing all together, between my shiny new smartphone and the e-reader I was given for free I've basically got all my bases covered in an albeit kinda clunky way, but oh well.

    iCloud's file syncing should do away with your legitimate complaint about having to transfer files (or, as others have said, Dropbox was widely adopted by apps as an alternative)

    Your 'cockwaffle' problems are likely unsolvable.

    Abracadaniel on
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I have a few main folders currently: A Full Albums folder that contains collections/single albums/soundtracks, a Singles folder that contains random single songs from my early internet days, a Video Game music folder that..well..take a guess, and a couple of misc folders. I'm contemplating doing an overhaul of the whole thing since it's definitely outgrown my original layout.

    I do sort the actual folders by artist, I just meant that I don't use genre/artist/etc. ID3 tag searching/sorting in whatever program I'm using due to the sheer size of my collection. For instance, sorting by artist would still leave me with a massive wall of info to go through, sorting by album, same thing. If I tried to just use searches to cut my way through all of that then if I search by artist I could still end up being confronted with a massive wall of stuff (Frank Zappa, for instance, was a very prolific guy). My best option in many cases would be searching via album, but that just gets clunky in a hurry.

    Sorting via folder location however means that everything is rolled into a far more manageable, easily browsed through layout AND it's setup however I damn well please in order to further optimize the whole affair. At this point I've grown so accustomed to doing it this way over the years that doing it like everyone else just proves to be slow as shit. That's one of the reasons I love Rockbox so much. It has the same options for location sorting.

    Besides, genres like Dubstep are notoriously annoying to keep properly tagged due to the way a lot of the artists like to release their stuff.
    oh you listen to dubstep.

    oh.

    I was gonna go there

    but then I remembered I'm like half an infraction from being banned

    so I didn't

    Senshi on
    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Your 'cockwaffle' problems are likely unsolvable.
    I hear they're quit good with maple syrup.
    I'd like a specific example of one sort or function that frustrated you when you used iTunes. I think it would be most illuminating.
    *takes a deep breath*

    I am a sailor. I have a very shiny laptop that I take with me to work. Since my collection is quickly overtaking the size of Texas, I can't exactly just sync the whole thing to my player and call it a day. Thusly, whenever I want to change music out I naturally have to pick and choose what I want. This is all quite understandable but you may guess where this is going. iDevices don't appreciate being shuffled between two computers and I don't want to drag my laptop out just to shuffle my music about on my player when I'm at home.

    Now here's where I got sent into rage mode: iTunes was a nightmare on my laptop (a high end Sager gaming rig). For some bizarre reason I could not manage my library with both my external and my ipod plugged in. It caused my USB ports to go abso-fucking-lutely nuts. Being a clever guy I instead created a little slum on my laptop for itunes to cast it's gaze at. This slum basically functioned as my iPod sync folder so that I could sort out the music I wanted in there, unplug my harddrive, and then gently pray to the Golden Throne of the Emprah that itunes would decide to actually update my library to reflect the changes (this only worked 50/50 of the times leading to me having to manually wipe my itunes library and then manually re-add all of my music).

    I also, much to my dismay, discovered that if itunes hiccuped while syncing an idevice, there's a chance it may corrupt the fucking thing leading to me having to wipe it. The catch is is that you have to be online for this and I'm running off of a slow ass aircard due to me being in god damn Alaska on a boat in port. The fact that you can't hard reset an iPod without being online baffles the ever loving shit out of me.
    Oh, let's not forget how iTunes often does not want to update itself leading to the user having to completely uninstall it and then do a full install of the new version in order to update it (this is a unique Windows issue).

    Eventually the sheer portability issues with the damn thing made me issue a mighty FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK and lead to me being the staunch itunes hater I am today. I'm sure it's a great program if you use a Mac and are a landlubber with an always active internet connection, but seeing as how I'm in neither of those camps, all it did was piss me right the fuck off.

    iCloud's file syncing should do away with your legitimate complaint about having to transfer files (or, as others have said, Dropbox was widely adopted by apps as an alternative)
    Neither of these options are viable when you're on a boat in Alaska.

    Conversely, my Sansa Clip+ that's been flashed with Rockbox doesn't glitch, doesn't hang, doesn't get corrupted has superior audio quality vs anything Apple offers, works just merrily no matter what I plug it into no matter what else is pluged in, and most importantly doesn't make me want to smash it with a hammer. The only reason I didn't put a 5.56 NATO round through my iPod Touch was because my gf said she wanted it. The iPod that is, not the bullet.
    Wouldn't then a windows 7 tablet or waiting for a windows 8 tablet be the ideal choice then if you want the way Mediamonkey works?
    Unless something has changed I wasn't aware of, I didn't think that there were any Windows 7 tablets worth a damn. Windows has never really been an OS that meshes really well with the whole low power device concept.
    do you have aspergers
    Reported.
    Senshi wrote: »
    I was gonna go there

    but then I remembered I'm like half an infraction from being banned

    so I didn't
    And yet you did by trying to be clever and quoting her post in an attempt to absolve yourself of any apparent prickishness. Yeah...totes didn't work broski.
    I listen to a wide variety of music. The fact that you think my musical tastes are indicative of anything kinda just makes you look even more like a complete douchebag. I was attempting to be civil, but due to your current attitude and your admitted fact that you're a hair away from being banned kinda frees me of any need to show you any level of respect.

    EDIT: Oh shit I almost forgot. Speaking of ID3 tags, the way the iPod touch handles them is so retarded. I had more than a few albums on there that even when I had the album artist as a whole tagged as one thing while preserving the individual track artists, the damn thing STILL insisted on listing it on screen in album mode as:
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)

    Why it couldn't just list them as one album I have no fucking clue but that really grinded my gears.

    TOGSolid on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    just so you know I'm a dude and my title/location was quoting the shins





    but you probably haven't heard of them

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hipster-gandalf-550x367.png

    :eyeroll:

    Please contribute something to the ongoing discussion or kindly move on.

    TOGSolid on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The fact that you think my musical tastes are indicative of anything kinda reinforces my belief that die hard Mac users are a bunch of self-important pretentious hipsters.

    Come on. We're better than this.

    You have some valid points. The way iTunes handles certain ID3 tags is bonafide retarded. But the old "ololol mac users r hipsters m i rite" is dogshit and completely undermines you.

    ben0207 on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User
    edited June 2011
    I like Android because its more like a computing experience. When I want to put a file on it, for whatever reason, I plug it in, click copy, then click paste.

    With iOS you have to jump through the iTunes hoops.

    JohnDoe on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ben0207 wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The fact that you think my musical tastes are indicative of anything kinda reinforces my belief that die hard Mac users are a bunch of self-important pretentious hipsters.

    Come on. We're better than this.

    You have some valid points. The way iTunes handles certain ID3 tags is bonafide retarded. But the old "ololol mac users r hipsters m i rite" is dogshit and completely undermines you.

    Yeah, I know, but I just had to get a nice broad jab in there seeing as how goofnuts up there felt the need to try and pigeonhole me as well. I'm really trying to be a nicer guy these days but occasionally my old slightly immature snarky self rears its ugly head, lol. I edited my original post to be a bit less mean to the rest of y'all.
    cheryls-cookies.jpg
    Internet apology offering to any Mac users that aren't complete asshats.

    TOGSolid on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sweet image meme bro
    stay free~

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I hear they're quit good with maple syrup.


    *takes a deep breath*

    I am a sailor. I have a very shiny laptop that I take with me to work. Since my collection is quickly overtaking the size of Texas, I can't exactly just sync the whole thing to my player and call it a day. Thusly, whenever I want to change music out I naturally have to pick and choose what I want. This is all quite understandable but you may guess where this is going. iDevices don't appreciate being shuffled between two computers and I don't want to drag my laptop out just to shuffle my music about on my player when I'm at home.

    Now here's where I got sent into rage mode: iTunes was a nightmare on my laptop (a high end Sager gaming rig). For some bizarre reason I could not manage my library with both my external and my ipod plugged in. It caused my USB ports to go abso-fucking-lutely nuts. Being a clever guy I instead created a little slum on my laptop for itunes to cast it's gaze at. This slum basically functioned as my iPod sync folder so that I could sort out the music I wanted in there, unplug my harddrive, and then gently pray to the Golden Throne of the Emprah that itunes would decide to actually update my library to reflect the changes (this only worked 50/50 of the times leading to me having to manually wipe my itunes library and then manually re-add all of my music).

    I also, much to my dismay, discovered that if itunes hiccuped while syncing an idevice, there's a chance it may corrupt the fucking thing leading to me having to wipe it. The catch is is that you have to be online for this and I'm running off of a slow ass aircard due to me being in god damn Alaska on a boat in port. The fact that you can't hard reset an iPod without being online baffles the ever loving shit out of me.
    Oh, let's not forget how iTunes often does not want to update itself leading to the user having to completely uninstall it and then do a full install of the new version in order to update it (this is a unique Windows issue).

    Eventually the sheer portability issues with the damn thing made me issue a mighty FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK and lead to me being the staunch itunes hater I am today. I'm sure it's a great program if you use a Mac and are a landlubber with an always active internet connection, but seeing as how I'm in neither of those camps, all it did was piss me right the fuck off.



    Neither of these options are viable when you're on a boat in Alaska.

    Conversely, my Sansa Clip+ that's been flashed with Rockbox doesn't glitch, doesn't hang, doesn't get corrupted has superior audio quality vs anything Apple offers, works just merrily no matter what I plug it into no matter what else is pluged in, and most importantly doesn't make me want to smash it with a hammer. The only reason I didn't put a 5.56 NATO round through my iPod Touch was because my gf said she wanted it. The iPod that is, not the bullet.


    Unless something has changed I wasn't aware of, I didn't think that there were any Windows 7 tablets worth a damn. Windows has never really been an OS that meshes really well with the whole low power device concept.


    Reported.


    And yet you did by trying to be clever and quoting her post in an attempt to absolve yourself of any apparent prickishness. Yeah...totes didn't work broski.
    I listen to a wide variety of music. The fact that you think my musical tastes are indicative of anything kinda just makes you look even more like a complete douchebag. I was attempting to be civil, but due to your current attitude and your admitted fact that you're a hair away from being banned kinda frees me of any need to show you any level of respect.

    EDIT: Oh shit I almost forgot. Speaking of ID3 tags, the way the iPod touch handles them is so retarded. I had more than a few albums on there that even when I had the album artist as a whole tagged as one thing while preserving the individual track artists, the damn thing STILL insisted on listing it on screen in album mode as:
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)
    Album name(artist)

    Why it couldn't just list them as one album I have no fucking clue but that really grinded my gears.
    A very long post to copy but your frustrations with Itunes absolutely echo mine (except for the boat in Alaska part). I've stopped updating Itunes because every time I do it bricks my danged Ipod touch, funny how Apple's operating system struggles so badly on a Windows-based PC. Every danged time.

    Fairchild on
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited June 2011
    the answer is obviously to switch to mac

    it just works™

    Senshi on
    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Your 'cockwaffle' problems are likely unsolvable.
    I hear they're quit good with maple syrup.
    I'd like a specific example of one sort or function that frustrated you when you used iTunes. I think it would be most illuminating.
    *takes a deep breath*

    I am a sailor. I have a very shiny laptop that I take with me to work. Since my collection is quickly overtaking the size of Texas, I can't exactly just sync the whole thing to my player and call it a day. Thusly, whenever I want to change music out I naturally have to pick and choose what I want. This is all quite understandable but you may guess where this is going. iDevices don't appreciate being shuffled between two computers and I don't want to drag my laptop out just to shuffle my music about on my player when I'm at home.

    they do, actually. just check the "manually manage music" box.

    Now here's where I got sent into rage mode: iTunes was a nightmare on my laptop (a high end Sager gaming rig). For some bizarre reason I could not manage my library with both my external and my ipod plugged in. It caused my USB ports to go abso-fucking-lutely nuts. Being a clever guy I instead created a little slum on my laptop for itunes to cast it's gaze at. This slum basically functioned as my iPod sync folder so that I could sort out the music I wanted in there, unplug my harddrive, and then gently pray to the Golden Throne of the Emprah that itunes would decide to actually update my library to reflect the changes (this only worked 50/50 of the times leading to me having to manually wipe my itunes library and then manually re-add all of my music).

    I don't know what's up with this, but it surely isn't iTunes related since iTunes has no control over your USB ports. Sorry you had a bum USB controller, or maybe you just needed updated motherboard drivers, but them's the breaks sometimes.

    I also, much to my dismay, discovered that if itunes hiccuped while syncing an idevice, there's a chance it may corrupt the fucking thing leading to me having to wipe it. The catch is is that you have to be online for this and I'm running off of a slow ass aircard due to me being in god damn Alaska on a boat in port. The fact that you can't hard reset an iPod without being online baffles the ever loving shit out of me.
    Oh, let's not forget how iTunes often does not want to update itself leading to the user having to completely uninstall it and then do a full install of the new version in order to update it (this is a unique Windows issue).

    this really does not happen to anyone with a working operating system. iTunes does not require a full install, ever, unless something is broken or corrupt. It updates itself all the time -- in fact, this is one of the issues people commonly cite when they talk about how much they hate iTunes. They always mention Software Update nagging them, which is ironic because Windows itself certainly requires updates far more often than the few iTunes point releases per year.

    Eventually the sheer portability issues with the damn thing made me issue a mighty FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK and lead to me being the staunch itunes hater I am today. I'm sure it's a great program if you use a Mac and are a landlubber with an always active internet connection, but seeing as how I'm in neither of those camps, all it did was piss me right the fuck off.

    Makes sense, you're in a unique situation. I think you could've made it work, but there's nothing wrong with giving up and picking a solution that fits better.
    iCloud's file syncing should do away with your legitimate complaint about having to transfer files (or, as others have said, Dropbox was widely adopted by apps as an alternative)
    Neither of these options are viable when you're on a boat in Alaska.

    nope, that's true. you're kind of stuck there.

    Conversely, my Sansa Clip+ that's been flashed with Rockbox doesn't glitch, doesn't hang, doesn't get corrupted has superior audio quality vs anything Apple offers, works just merrily no matter what I plug it into no matter what else is pluged in, and most importantly doesn't make me want to smash it with a hammer. The only reason I didn't put a 5.56 NATO round through my iPod Touch was because my gf said she wanted it. The iPod that is, not the bullet.

    the sansa clip+ also offers a pitifully tiny amount of space for a dedicated music player, but hey, whatever floats your alaskan fishing boat
    Wouldn't then a windows 7 tablet or waiting for a windows 8 tablet be the ideal choice then if you want the way Mediamonkey works?
    Unless something has changed I wasn't aware of, I didn't think that there were any Windows 7 tablets worth a damn. Windows has never really been an OS that meshes really well with the whole low power device concept.


    correct. Windows 7 tablets suck.
    *snip*

    I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of that post, but really, your biggest issues had to do with things that were specific to either hardware or software conflicts on your laptop. I'm sorry you got a bum laptop, and it's cool that you want to use MediaMonkey instead, but these anti-iTunes tirades aren't really helping anyone who's actually reading this thread expecting to get a reasonable viewpoint on what tablet they should buy. If they take your word at face value, iTunes is going to shit bricks any time they plug devices into their USB ports at the same time as their iPad, which is pretty obviously not the case.

    Monoxide on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've had some weird app-syncing issues with iTunes as of late, but I'm also running iOS 5 beta, so weird shit is to be expected when you're running unsupported, experimental software. Which, based on what I've read, you're more or less resigned to doing on most Android tablets.

    Abracadaniel on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the sansa clip+ also offers a pitifully tiny amount of space for a dedicated music player, but hey, whatever floats your alaskan fishing boat
    No it doesn't, I slapped a 32 GB card in there and now have a 40 GB music player for less money than a similarly sized player. :)
    they do, actually. just check the "manually manage music" box.
    I did, it doesn't keep itunes from going "Holy shit this ipod is synced to another copy of itunes! What the fuck are you doing!?"
    I don't know what's up with this, but it surely isn't iTunes related since iTunes has no control over your USB ports. Sorry you had a bum USB controller, or maybe you just needed updated motherboard drivers, but them's the breaks sometimes.
    It only happened with the damn ipod, and only when itunes was on. Once I purged my rig of anything itunes/ipod related all of the problems went away.
    this really does not happen to anyone with a working operating system. iTunes does not require a full install, ever, unless something is broken or corrupt. It updates itself all the time -- in fact, this is one of the issues people commonly cite when they talk about how much they hate iTunes. They always mention Software Update nagging them, which is ironic because Windows itself certainly requires updates far more often than the few iTunes point releases per year.
    I'm not computer illiterate though. My laptop runs in tip top shape and is well maintained. Itunes having self-update issues is a common Windows specific glich (feel free to google it). What happens is that you say "sure, go ahead and update" and the updater then freaks out half way through and says that it can't update your install and you're basically boned.
    I think you could've made it work
    That's the thing, I shouldn't have to come up with some sort of quirky solution just to make it work. It should work right out of the box and when a "portable" device turns out to not really be all that portable, then there are some serious flaws with the design. I can just plug in my Clip+ and drag and drop things to my heart's content and if something gets corrupted I can just restore it off of a backup I keep tucked away on my hard drive. Why should I have to jump through hoops just to do the same thing with an iOS device? Hell, the fact that I had to plug my ipod in and activate it online (which was a serious bummer because it meant having to wait till we were in port again) was kind of a warning sign that I was in for a rough road ahead.
    I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of that post, but really, your biggest issues had to do with things that were specific to either hardware or software conflicts on your laptop.
    I understand that bugs and glitches are personal issues and not representative of the whole. The broader point of my post was that it demonstrates the downside to a controlled setup like iOS. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong hard and it's an annoyance for the consumer to do anything about it. For some people those potential annoyances are major deal breakers so telling everyone when they come into the thread "JUST GET AN IPAD YO" isn't particularly helpful.

    When investing in a gadget, it's important to evaluate the cons just as much as the pros. If someone is in some sort of situation like me, those cons instantly outweigh the pros. If someone is traveling a lot, those cons can also become major issues. If people want to get angry with me just because I don't buy into the Jesus tablet hype, well too bad. People need to be aware of what happens when things go wrong and how the flaws in iTunes and iOS devices can cause some real problems (namely the absurd need to be online so that they can run home to mommy in order to fix themselves).

    Having said all of that, I'm sure if you're using the iPad as an at home device then it's a wonderfully neat toy and I hope you have a ball with it. If you're a traveller of some sort, well, you may wanna do some serious research before hand and evaluate just how well it will actually mesh with your situation. I know I would not recommend it for someone who is going to spend any sort of time away from a computer internet connection with it.
    Senshi wrote: »
    the answer is obviously to switch to mac

    it just works™

    Or I could spend 50 dollars on a Sansa Clip+, flash it with Rockbox and hey, guess what?

    it just works™

    Also it has better sound quality. :coolface:

    TOGSolid on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    they do, actually. just check the "manually manage music" box.
    I did, it doesn't keep itunes from going "Holy shit this ipod is synced to another copy of itunes! What the fuck are you doing!?"

    This annoys the hell out of me w/r/to iTunes. I haven't synced/backed up my iPad for months now cause when I connect it it wants to nuke my iPad and I've no idea what's going to happen in all my games where I'm part way through. I've haven't the foggiest clue which other computer I synced it to; could be a friends/co-worker's that I used just to activate the thing. I'm sure it has something to do with DRM implementation, but I think Apple could figure out a better way of dealing with this.

    Djeet on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been away from home for a week+ both on business and for pleasure (ladies) and my iPad suited me just fine.

    You can dismiss it as a toy as much as you'd like, but it's certainly been useful for me both at work and at play.

    You know why it works so well? Because there isn't anything to go wrong. It just works.

    Abracadaniel on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Monoxide on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Azio wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The only developers who crave android one are the ones who have known Java and its toolsets for over a decade and are comfortable sorting through the inane horseshit that is Android development.
    Hey, objective-c is pretty awful too

    Java's problems run much deeper than having to learn how to use a new bracket key.

    Jasconius on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Chief Mixologist of the Shatterdome Tiki Bar Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Monoxide wrote: »

    Peculiar. I had set iTunes to "shut the fuck up mode" and I was still getting:
    HT1202_01---005-en.png
    Every single damn time.
    You can dismiss it as a toy as much as you'd like
    I refer to a lot of things as "toys." It's not a dismissal in any shape or form. Hell, I refer to basically anything I buy as a "new toy." Don't be so touchy about your Jesus Tablet, jeez.
    I've been away from home for a week+ both on business and for pleasure (ladies) and my iPad suited me just fine.
    Well good. If what you require out of a product falls within what they're capable of, then absolutely, go forth and have fun with it. However, there are those of us out there with unique needs, situations, methods of doing things so when the Apple Defence Force rears its ugly head and goes NUH UHHHH APPLE IS TEH BESTEST, you can't really blame us for getting a bit peeved.
    You know why it works so well? Because there isn't anything to go wrong. It just works.
    Um...attempting to present your argument by using Apple's own PR statements isn't helping your case any, nor is it quelling my belief that diehard Apple fans aren't actually secretly Crab People.

    If it "just worked", there wouldn't be any Apple tech support forums, so yeah, you may want to rethink your argument here.

    TOGSolid on
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    edited June 2011
    Hey now, bro

    just because we think you're a little silly for not understanding the what some would call fairly straightforward process of "turn it on and plug it in" for making an iPod work doesn't make us the Apple Defence Force

    but we get that you're mad

    I mean I'd be pretty upset if I worked on a boat in alaska too

    Senshi on
    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Monoxide wrote: »

    Peculiar. I had set iTunes to "shut the fuck up mode" and I was still getting:
    HT1202_01---005-en.png
    Every single damn time.

    Correct. From that same article:
    If you want to keep the music library on your device, but copy songs or playlists from the music library on the second computer, click Cancel when the dialog box appears, and then set your device to manual mode.

    Just an FYI for anyone else who has issues with this -- it's really that simple. Hit cancel, check the "Manually Manage Music" box, copy songs to the iPod. If you don't want the sync warning to appear every time, click "Do not ask me again" before hitting cancel.

    Monoxide on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Let me jump into the aspect ratio battle from previous pages.

    I'm a long time (relatively speaking) android phone owner, bought a 1st gen 32gb ipod touch on it's release, and bought an 2 ipad 2s on it's release day. Have never owned an Apple desktop or laptop, I go strictly PC.

    I'm torn on my aspect ratio preference for tablets. I consume a lot of video on my ipad 2 and the letterbox of most video content can be a mild irritation for me.

    That being said if I instead had a wide format android tablet such as the Tab 10.1 then it wouldn't be an issue. Not because its aspect ratio but because I couldn't even stream netflix from the Tab at this point, PERIOD. I also have been using the HBO GO app a TON the last two months and unless I'm mistaken it's ALSO not available for the Tab 10.1 either. So that alone ends the debate for me.

    Sure you can say it will be available eventually, but I look back at the last 3 months of using my ipad 2 and have to side with: Now is better than later. I couldn't care less about 6 months from now because by then i'll have been already doing it for 9 months on my ipad 2, letterbox be damned.

    I'll also mention that it was a nonissue when I started watching farscape on netflix streamed on my ipad and it turns out it's in 3:4 aspect ratio and fits nicely. Also some of my older DVDs that I bought before owning a widescreen TV that happen to be in Full screen fit perfectly when ripped and converted for my ipad (I'm bad I know).

    As for other things such as holding, typing, web browsing, and picture viewing, I think I prefer the 3:4 ratio so far.
    I don't know WHY I prefer the 3:4 for those things on the tablet, and perhaps with more exposure to wide formet tablets I'll change my mind. It's odd because I have a 22" widescreen at home for my PC but at work one of the PCs I'm on frequently is still attached to a 3:4 ratio monitor and I can't stand the thing.

    On a completely different note I'm super excited to see where this 60Ghz in-room wireless tech goes: Cnet Article

    I've been waiting for quite awhile now for this sort of wireless syncing of, well everything. Sure I can technically stream video from a tablet to my TV now wirelessly (and it's a pain w/ the ipad compared w/ competitors, who the hell has/wants an AppleTV?), but this just seems way more impressive and all encompassing for really bandwidth intensive activities such as HD video and games.

    rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    As for other things such as holding, typing, web browsing, and picture viewing, I think I prefer the 3:4 ratio so far.
    I don't know WHY I prefer the 3:4 for those things on the tablet, and perhaps with more exposure to wide formet tablets I'll change my mind. It's odd because I have a 22" widescreen at home for my PC but at work one of the PCs I'm on frequently is still attached to a 3:4 ratio monitor and I can't stand the thing.

    I think it may be because the 4:3 aspect (at least in portrait mode) more closely approaches the ratio of an 8.5x11* sheet of paper which a lot of people are very familiar with w/r/to documents. I've got 3 X 4:3 monitors on my desktop, usually either all in portrait configuration, or a P-L-P configuration; I like this setup as I do a considerable amount of document editting/comparison/review.


    *Edit: Or the aspect of a sheet from a traditional paper book.

    Djeet on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been waiting for quite awhile now for this sort of wireless syncing of, well everything. Sure I can technically stream video from a tablet to my TV now wirelessly (and it's a pain w/ the ipad compared w/ competitors, who the hell has/wants an AppleTV?), but this just seems way more impressive and all encompassing for really bandwidth intensive activities such as HD video and games.

    well, at 99 bucks it's hardly a large barrier to entry. does anyone else offer tablet-to-TV/PC streaming video the way that AppleTV does? I know I've seen Android (phone) apps that claim DNLA support, but they'd still require a PC or set-top box connected to your TV which supports it. And I've certainly never seen any other tablets offer anything like this

    I think we'll definitely see better solutions than the AppleTV-as-a-base-station that we have now, but the unfortunate thing is that even WiDi is a ways off in being widely adopted, and it's been available for quite a while now. the technology has to be cheap, small, and low-power enough to be included in both TVs and tablets in order to be a really seamless solution.

    Monoxide on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I own an apple computer so my opinion on apple products is valueless in the court of "is android better", but I have an AppleTV and I have enjoyed it as much or more than any piece of electronics I have bought since I left college.

    Air Video (app) + AppleTV is pretty great. Converts any video you have to an AppleTV supported format.

    I can watch anything on my or my friends computers on my TV from my iPad, no wires.

    And it's Netflix support is better than the PS3's.

    It's a fine machine.

    Jasconius on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    And it's Netflix support is better than the PS3's.

    How do they differ? I had assumed the only difference would be UI due to the different in input mechanism (keyb/mouse vs. touchscreen vs. sixaxis), but I only use Netflix on the PS3 so I don't know the differences between how it's implemented on various platforms.

    Djeet on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got one for my mom and she uses my netflix account, absolutely loves the dang thing (except the fonts are too small)

    I've considered getting one at some point in the future if/when the Boxee Box ceases to be developed/updated

    Abracadaniel on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now see this is the only time I've seen more than one person ever say something nice about the AppleTV. I discount it based on the fact that I can only see two uses. One of which is streaming netflix to my TV, which is already done by other devices I own already. The other would be the new addition of airplay from my ipad 2 and that only isn't enough to signify the $100s.

    rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I plan on picking one up after a refresh mainly for iPad 2 mirroring. I have a media center PC I built for music/video, but wireless mirroring is far too tempting.

    But knowing there's an impending refresh which will (most likely) bring 1080p support, I can't justify buying one now.

    edit:
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    Now see this is the only time I've seen more than one person ever say something nice about the AppleTV. I discount it based on the fact that I can only see two uses. One of which is streaming netflix to my TV, which is already done by other devices I own already. The other would be the new addition of airplay from my ipad 2 and that only isn't enough to signify the $100s.

    really? i know a bunch of people who have them and they love it. a full-fledged HTPC is better, it was also three times as much money and isn't as stable, nor easy to use less-savvy users (unless I leave boxee running). the AppleTV is about as "wife-proof" as it comes, and giving anyone with an iOS device the ability to stream music/video directly to the thing is a big plus.

    Monoxide on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    And it's Netflix support is better than the PS3's.

    How do they differ? I had assumed the only difference would be UI due to the different in input mechanism (keyb/mouse vs. touchscreen vs. sixaxis), but I only use Netflix on the PS3 so I don't know the differences between how it's implemented on various platforms.

    It's faster to load up the Netflix app, from what I remember you have a lot more suggestion screens for finding new movies... and if netflix doesn't have something it's two buttons to hop to the iTunes store to see if they have it for rent


    also you don't have to be signed into PSN just to load the damn thing, so that right there is price of admission alone


    Plus the Apple TV is in a constant state of sleep and it wakes up on any input... I'm a nazi about keeping my appliances turned off when I don't use them... PS3 included.

    From bootup to streaming on Apple TV is about 10 seconds. Where it's easily over a minute for my PS3. And if I sleep the apple TV mid-movie, it will awake where I left off in the movie. Whereas the PS3 just shuts off completely.


    I understand that these are all minor nitpicky points for which I would typically make fun of people for caring about, but I am trying to illustrate that for 100 dollars... if you don't already have something that does it, the Apple TV is great just as a pure Netflix box.

    Jasconius on
Sign In or Register to comment.