As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

James "Whitey" Bulger, caught in Boston after 16 years on the run.

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Sorry if this is old news already, but I thought this was pretty amazing.
Wikipedia wrote:
James Joseph "Whitey" Bulger, Jr. (born September 3, 1929) is an alleged former crime boss who led the Winter Hill Gang based in Somerville, Massachusetts in the United States. He also served as an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation in a controversial arrangement that allowed him to continue his criminal activities. The disclosure in 1997 by The Boston Globe of the involvement of federal agents with Bulger was a major embarrassment for the agency. [3]
On August 19, 1998, Bulger became the 458th person added to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list. He was wanted for racketeering (under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)), 19 counts of murder, extortion, money laundering, conspiracy and narcotics distribution. On June 22, 2011, he was arrested at the apartment he had lived in for fifteen years in Santa Monica, California, along with his girlfriend Catherine Greig. He was 81 years old at the time of his arrest[2][4][5], and supposedly in poor health.[6] Bulger is the older brother of William "Billy" Bulger, former President of the Massachusetts State Senate and a former President of the University of Massachusetts.

This guy was a top ten fugitive for over 16 years. What the fuck, FBI?

Jokerman on

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    They'd mainly given up after the first 6. My dad actually complained that they were wasting their time when the FBI started sending out pictures of Whitey's girlfriend early this week.

I'm also really amused to see that Obama's campaign strategy seems to be to take out people on the FBI most wanted list faster than the FBI can fill it back up. I will laugh my ass off if he manages to actually get the number of people on that list down to zero. He seems to be doing the same thing with Al Quaeda's leadership.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The way they caught them was pretty great. They ran PSA's targeted to shows in the age group his girlfriend would watch, so IDK Perry Mason or some such thing, saying "Have you seen this woman? Dangerous person etc etc call 5555555!"

Caught by a bunch of old ladies.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    I'm also really amused to see that Obama's campaign strategy seems to be to take out people on the FBI most wanted list faster than the FBI can fill it back up. I will laugh my ass off if he manages to actually get the number of people on that list down to zero. He seems to be doing the same thing with Al Quaeda's leadership.

Wow.

Well lets all hope that superobama loses reelection so he can spend his time personally doing this anti-crime thing, like he did with osama bin ladin and 'whitey'.

Also i find this whole thing kind of odd. Why would the FBI still be looking for the guy the last 15 years if he was granted immunity in 1997 for informing?

If they really did let him go and they have no new charges then they are reneging on the promise of immunity and thats a very bad thing for the government to do.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Negative. He was still going to go down, they weren't going to give him immunity for something like 19 murders, but he was going to get some reduced sentencing or some such thing.

Problem is he up and disappeared, which pretty logically makes the arrangement null and void.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thread title is wrong? Article says he was caught in Cali, not Boston.

Anyways, what was the deal on his informing? You can usually get immunity for crimes you did commit, but was he wanted for those or for crimes he committed after the fact?

kildy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    kildy wrote: »

Anyways, what was the deal on his informing? You can usually get immunity for crimes you did commit, but was he wanted for those or for crimes he committed after the fact?

What you get immunity for depends on what you did. Immunity on murder charges is extremely rare.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

Wow.

Well lets all hope that superobama loses reelection so he can spend his time personally doing this anti-crime thing, like he did with osama bin ladin and 'whitey'.

Also i find this whole thing kind of odd. Why would the FBI still be looking for the guy the last 15 years if he was granted immunity in 1997 for informing?

If they really did let him go and they have no new charges then they are reneging on the promise of immunity and thats a very bad thing for the government to do.
    Boy, you'll go to any lengths to try to make a Democrat look bad.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kildy wrote: »

What you get immunity for depends on what you did. Immunity on murder charges is extremely rare.

Reading through his wiki, it doesn't seem like he had immunity anyways. He turned into an informant, but still appears to have continued criminal activities. There was a lawsuit against the feds over it, where they were found to have been turning a blind eye to it, but that's why he's under arrest now. Not sure what the whole "oh god we're going back on our word" angle is.

kildy on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whitey was informing while he was also taking over the crime syndicate. Among other things, he's wanted for convincing his FBI handlers to tip him off to people who were informing on him or otherwise doing things that would harm his business, and then using that FBI info to find and kill them. In effect, the Boston FBI office was an extension of his criminal enterprise.

Eventually this was discovered. The FBI handler is already in jail, but somebody tipped Whitey off and he scarpered before they could pick him up.

spool32 on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They'd mainly given up after the first 6. My dad actually complained that they were wasting their time when the FBI started sending out pictures of Whitey's girlfriend early this week.

Actually I heard an interview on NPR yesterday that seemed to indicate that this is suprisingly effective - rich mafia dudes look pretty nondescript. "Just another short, fat Italian guy in Jersey" was how the FBI guy they interviewed put it. But their trophy wives? Chosen to stand out from a crowd. Apparently it's a pretty common strategy to track these guys down that way.

Apparently it worked, too.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I notice, looking at the current list, that #10- soon to rise to #8- is a white-collar criminal, Semion Mogilevich. That never happens.

Though if they added another, that'd be awesome. (Actually, if they add another so soon after Mogilevich, that may be heralding a shift in the focus of the list. It started out with bank robbers and such, then switched to radicals, and it's really only since the 80's that the focus has been on violent offenders.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    Whitey was informing while he was also taking over the crime syndicate. Among other things, he's wanted for convincing his FBI handlers to tip him off to people who were informing on him or otherwise doing things that would harm his business, and then using that FBI info to find and kill them. In effect, the Boston FBI office was an extension of his criminal enterprise.

Eventually this was discovered. The FBI handler is already in jail, but somebody tipped Whitey off and he scarpered before they could pick him up.

The Boston FBI office was infamously corrupt. To the point that DoJ had to clean house pretty thoroughly.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Actually I heard an interview on NPR yesterday that seemed to indicate that this is suprisingly effective - rich mafia dudes look pretty nondescript. "Just another short, fat Italian guy in Jersey" was how the FBI guy they interviewed put it. But their trophy wives? Chosen to stand out from a crowd. Apparently it's a pretty common strategy to track these guys down that way.

Apparently it worked, too.

Wrong "mafia."
    I notice, looking at the current list, that #10- soon to rise to #8- is a white-collar criminal, Semion Mogilevich. That never happens.

Though if they added another, that'd be awesome. (Actually, if they add another so soon after Mogilevich, that may be heralding a shift in the focus of the list. It started out with bank robbers and such, then switched to radicals, and it's really only since the 80's that the focus has been on violent offenders.)

There isn't any sort of internal rank. It's just ten guys.

It's pretty much guaranteed that it won't be a terrorist because a separate list for terrorists was created after Osama was added.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh. I always thought they ranked them by seniority.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it bad that when this happens I'm always disappointed the guy doesn't pull a gun and get shot by agents/police?

Seems like it would save us a lot of state resources.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

Wow.

Wait so the president shouldn't urge the FBI to catch people they're looking for? Or lower crime rates in general?
    Or order a SEAL team confirm the location of a mass murderer that targets US citizens and take him down?

You're making the tea party look intelligent . Think about that.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    Huh. I always thought they ranked them by seniority.

The FBI doesn't want to imply that the murder of X's mother was less important than the murders of y's mother.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it bad that when this happens I'm always disappointed the guy doesn't pull a gun and get shot by agents/police?

Because that money would definitely have gone somewhere important and worthwhile if this one criminal had had the decency to get himself killed.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Because that money would definitely have gone somewhere important and worthwhile if this one criminal had had the decency to get himself killed.

It's not really meant to be a sensible notion. Obviously the justice system is important, and due process should be followed.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The plus side of taking a guy like this alive is that he probably knows about more crimes the FBI doesn't.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Scooter wrote: »
    The plus side of taking a guy like this alive is that he probably knows about more crimes the FBI doesn't admit.

Fix'd

Bagginses on
  • Options
    jarmisjarmis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After being 16 years on the run he should be should get some time off sentanceing for no longer being relevant. I feel like the major thing people will pull out of this is that they lost a famous big time mob guy, who had a move made about him, and it took 16 years to find him in no way a victory for the justice system.

jarmis on
    copyofcrayon4jj.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jarmis wrote: »
    After being 16 years on the run he should be should get some time off sentanceing for no longer being relevant. I feel like the major thing people will pull out of this is that they lost a famous big time mob guy, who had a move made about him, and it took 16 years to find him in no way a victory for the justice system.

Yes I'm sure he settled down and lead a completely legitimate life while on the run from the law. He certianly didn't have any criminal connections at all.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jarmis wrote: »

Yes I'm sure he settled down and lead a completely legitimate life while on the run from the law. He certianly didn't have any criminal connections at all.

Don't forget the law and order episode!

It is good to see a government police agency actually doing it's job well and it getting good publicity. Then again that has always been the point of this list.

Now if only the CIA could secure the internet... wait that is not their job.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So this was the Whitey Michelle Obama was ranting about.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My grandfather worked in this guys organization back in the day... He told me some pretty fucked up stories before he died.

Basically if it wasn't for this guy trying to track down and kill my grandfather for stealing money then he would have never fled to texas. my mom would have never met my dad. And I would never have been born. So thanks Whitey Bulger!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.