As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: Vote for FemShep.... again!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »
    duty isn't fun, gentlemen. wipe the smiles off your faces. if the scumrace knew that their existence gave others brief happiness, they might be motivated to exist a while longer.

Bah.

If one can't take pleasure in duty, what can one take pleasure in?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    if it turns out that most batarians are wonderful beings i'll still kill them all for having bad PR and not doing anything about it

Seems reasonable. Look at the Geth--the alleged "philosopher kings" looked at their genocidal brethern and said, "Well, okay, just turn off the lights when you leave. We're going to burry our heads in the sand until the Universe ends."

It's a PR nightmare. The Batarians could have the most thorough social revolution ever, totally upheaveling their society and establishing the most egalitarian nation in known space (except, perhaps, the Geth), and people would still go, "The Batarians," or "The vile Batarians..."

The difference, of course, is that the Geth are self-sufficient mostly, and burry their heads in the sand of the Veil. Most people still think "insane religious fanatic who murder organics" when they see Geth because there's no indication otherwise. If the Batarians did the same thing, it wouldn't really solve their problems. And even if you took slavery from the Batarians, presumably they'd still need to interact with people who hate them for the multi-eyed slaving bastards they were. Trade and stuff.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm referring too the art video they had where they basically said they couldn't make the Krogan too big because they had to fit them on a human frame for animation and gameplay reasons.

Basically, I was just shooting down your inane reason for why a Yahg squaddie wouldn't be possible. Not saying we would get one, just saying that having one isn't the insurmountable task you're trying to make it out to be.

I was just shooting down your inane expectation that the changes might actually be implemented to existing canon (albeit from DLC). Though, as both of us have said, they could do enough hand-waving to make it possible, it's just extremely unlikely. I may be giving Bioware way to much credit, but I doubt hey're jumping over eachother to say, "Yeah, the Yahg are actually much, much shorter. Because."*

For the Batarians....Bioware was able to sufficiently convince themselves in the transformation of a group of religious fanatics into a small minority of a much less malevolent group. Doing the same thing to the Batarians wouldn't be as convincing because of the assumption we know much more about the Batarians than we did about the Geth, but Bioware might not feel that's the case. Who knows? It's all in their hands. Enter the handwaving, perhaps.

*Though if we looked at DA versus DA2....

Umm...I don't think Bioware convinced themselves of anything. It can be inferred from talks with Tali in ME1 that there is more to the Geth than being crazed killing machines. I think that's just people placing their own assumptions on limited information.

And actually, what I'm suggesting with the Yahg has nothing to do with lore. What I was saying was strictly gameplay related, since you seemed to have a problem with them being able to get through doors.

Even though now that I think about it...the
    Shadow Broker isn't even that much bigger than Shepard during the fight. Vertically at least, he's a little bigger horizontally though.

So I don't know what you're complaining about to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8WmOcMguSY

You can see when he stands erect he's a lot taller but he spends most his time hunched over.

That being said I could see problems with taking cover and such since most of their mass is in the body area and isn't distributed equally with the legs.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Is it actually important to spoiler at this point for any plot reason? Or did you just do that for organization reasons? Just wondering if we were still spoilering the LotSB information.
    He's shorter than I remember, but he's still wide enough to cause a problem (or a bunch of hilarious clipping issues, whichever Bioware prefers). I'm hoping Bioware won't resort to "all doors must be 'this' big" simply because it can be as jarring as 'all walls must be waist high'. And a squadmate who can't hide behind the same half-walls as everyone else in a gunfight? Yeah, surprise, that'll be a problem.

Though yes, that is an problem independent of doors. Doors simply came to mind first, though that Youtube video demonstrates that they couldn't hide behind cover. Unless they get their own special shield that pops up every time they need to take cover...no thank you, personally.

Bioware's treatment of the species in general leaves a lot of wiggle-room. The Geth have more than others (since they're purely homicidal maniacs in presentation, and have no real personalities to discern of in ME1), but I doubt the Batarians don't have enough to pull off something like that if Bioware desired it.

The question is, I think, whether Bioware wants to see player reactions to that specific situation that badly (or if they already decided they were going to do this). I assumed that pretty much all the squadmates in the game had been announced (not including DLC), but I haven't followed it as closely as others.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    duty isn't fun, gentlemen. wipe the smiles off your faces. if the scumrace knew that their existence gave others brief happiness, they might be motivated to exist a while longer.

Bah.

let's not get too happy about this. it's basically cleaning up dogshit left at the park. if you're enjoying yourself, you've got something wrong with you, friend.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Bah.

let's not get too happy about this. it's basically cleaning up dogshit left at the park. if you're enjoying yourself, you've got something wrong with you, friend.

The way you put it, Nuzak, along with your avatar made me think of this, despite my best efforts:

From HBO's Conspiracy

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The question is, I think, whether Bioware wants to see player reactions to that specific situation that badly (or if they already decided they were going to do this). I assumed that pretty much all the squadmates in the game had been announced (not including DLC), but I haven't followed it as closely as others.

Only new Squadmate we know of so far is Vega, otherwise its the ME1 cast minus Wrex and dead human. They have said that there will be fewer permanent squadmates than in ME2 though, and many old ones will be showing up as temporary squadmates for one offs (Legion and Mordin are sort of looking like this at this point)

Z0re on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it actually important to spoiler at this point for any plot reason? Or did you just do that for organization reasons? Just wondering if we were still spoilering the LotSB information.
    He's shorter than I remember, but he's still wide enough to cause a problem (or a bunch of hilarious clipping issues, whichever Bioware prefers). I'm hoping Bioware won't resort to "all doors must be 'this' big" simply because it can be as jarring as 'all walls must be waist high'. And a squadmate who can't hide behind the same half-walls as everyone else in a gunfight? Yeah, surprise, that'll be a problem.

Though yes, that is an problem independent of doors. Doors simply came to mind first, though that Youtube video demonstrates that they couldn't hide behind cover. Unless they get their own special shield that pops up every time they need to take cover...no thank you, personally.

Bioware's treatment of the species in general leaves a lot of wiggle-room. The Geth have more than others (since they're purely homicidal maniacs in presentation, and have no real personalities to discern of in ME1), but I doubt the Batarians don't have enough to pull off something like that if Bioware desired it.

Well, yeah.

Like I said earlier, from what I got from Arrival the Batarian caste system seems to have a pretty big divide.

So, I'm sure if Bioware wanted they could have the Batarian's be very split and show that their are ones on the homework who don't agree with their practices or whatever.

@Zore: I'm thinking at the least they're probably have around 3 new squadmates with balanced ability trees. Because Ash and Kaiden couldn't be killed in ME2 guarantees them for ME3 so that is an extra squadmate right there.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

Only new Squadmate we know of so far is Vega, otherwise its the ME1 cast minus Wrex and dead human. They have said that there will be fewer permanent squadmates than in ME2 though, and many old ones will be showing up as temporary squadmates for one offs (Legion and Mordin are sort of looking like this at this point)

I actually like the idea of temporary squadmates, I have to admit, since having the very large number you had in ME2 makes hell for resolving a longrunning plot like this. Of course, I say that, and then someone I really want permanently (like Kasumi) gets a single twenty-minute chapter.....FFFFFFFFF-

(If I'm lucky.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Getting a "everyone can be compassionate" thing with the batarians would be the worst. Like, the devil isn't compassionate. A species that is literally made of devils is okay to hate.

That said, the idea of a cocky asshole batarian whose attitude is captured by these pictures:
    YT2O4.jpgqTDLE.jpg
    who was constantly smugging it up about his presence being mandated by the Alliance for a post-Arrival peace treaty or something would be pretty funny, right up until the airlocking over the sound of his protests about galactic law. That would be a pretty awesome squadmate.
    Unless...of course, Bioware pulls something out of their ass. "Okay, the Shadow Broker? Turns out he was the biggest Yahg ever. On the 'roids. The rest are tiny wimps by comparison. And here's your squadmate--all the uglyness of the Yahg in a conveniently sized mini-package."

I don't know how to tell you this, but the volus are actually the normal yahg in suits.
    Seems reasonable. Look at the Geth--the alleged "philosopher kings" looked at their genocidal brethern and said, "Well, okay, just turn off the lights when you leave. We're going to burry our heads in the sand until the Universe ends."

To be fair, it's not exactly like they were on speaking terms with...anyone, what with the whole "shoot the robomurderers first" mentality, and anonymous, random broadcasts would be about as convincing as Alex Jones. Also, there were clues to the geth not all sucking before, like the station they had broadcasting quarian opera beyond the veil.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Unless...of course, Bioware pulls something out of their ass. "Okay, the Shadow Broker? Turns out he was the biggest Yahg ever. On the 'roids. The rest are tiny wimps by comparison. And here's your squadmate--all the uglyness of the Yahg in a conveniently sized mini-package."

I don't know how to tell you this, but the volus are actually the normal yahg in suits.

The 'Roids theory strikes again!

To be fair, it's not exactly like they were on speaking terms with...anyone, what with the whole "shoot the robomurderers first" mentality, and anonymous, random broadcasts would be about as convincing as Alex Jones. Also, there were clues to the geth not all sucking before, like the station they had broadcasting quarian opera beyond the veil.

Small details like that, of course, could easily be implemented into ME3 over the course of the narrative (though it doesn't hurt the theory that you won't get this transformation). The Geth are lucky since we're a lot less likely to apply morality to them then the breathing, living Batarians. In the end though, the Geth decided it wasn't their problem (and, to be fair, it wasn't, it was only the problem of the people the Geth murdered) until quite recently. Plus, when 99% of your "species" interaction with other species, in the last century, is murder, torture, and zombie-making, it's a lot easier to not deal with the problem.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hope we get a Batarian in ME3 that runs a orphanage for human children that he personally rescued from slavers, and all the children call him Papa, and love him genuinely.

And that he talks in limericks

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And then we show the children the grinder in the basement he used to make their food, and all the pairs of shoes belonging to the unfortunates he didn't think would fetch a good price.

After they throw him in, Miranda blots away their tears with a handkerchief she kept in her cleavage.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Do we really need Miranda's ass to obstruct the camera and to say more stupid things?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Do we really need Miranda's ass to obstruct the camera and to say more stupid things?

Mirandas ass obstructs all of existence

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The CDN did have a story on a morally decent Batarian. Ran a charity to help orphaned kids who wound up with other cultures. Nothing to indicate he was anything other than on the up and up.

Of course, he was

1) Raised by humans.

2) With the last name "Clark", which is possibly a Superman reference.

3) If so, the family was Kansas farm folk from Smallville, who are supernaturally good people. Freakishly good. You know how Superman is borderline saintly, to the point where most people call him boring? How he doesn't even use his X-Ray eyes to look at women naked without their consent like anyone else would?

Kents. A whole lot of DC back issues in alternate realities show us that, without the Kents, he'd be like pretty much anyone else with those powers. By which I mean the greatest menace humanity has ever seen, and also a colossal jackass, rather than a bit of a jackass.

Making a Batarian an almost tolerable member of society? I'd say the Kents or an analogue might be up to that.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Batarians worked for the Blue Suns, with humans. So they all aren't anti-human.

It would be awesome if they made the Zaeed replacement (if he died) to be an ex-Blue Suns batarian. He could be a massive jerk you'd be forced to use. I mainly want them to troll the fanbase some more.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I just want a Batarian team mate that speaks in limericks and is a glowing bastion of what being a good human should be.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I just want a Batarian team mate that speaks in limericks and is a glowing bastion of what being a good human should be.

I admire your dedication to the limerick angle.

I, too, think of the Irish when I think of Batarians.

Wait.
    Kipling wrote: »
    Batarians worked for the Blue Suns, with humans. So they all aren't anti-human.

It would be awesome if they made the Zaeed replacement (if he died) to be an ex-Blue Suns batarian. He could be a massive jerk you'd be forced to use. I mainly want them to troll the fanbase some more.

The Batarian Mercenary Mechanic whom you hilariously stab in the bag with a wielding torch is probably the most polite, most straightforward, least-prejudiced mercenary you meet in the entirety of ME2, or a top contender, anyway. Of course, he could just be really good at hiding his feelings, or maybe he's all business.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The batarian that flies you to the archangel mission is pretty polite.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

I really wish it wouldn't.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Shepard and Garrus look on, determined, as Sovereign breaks through the Citadel defenses, the camera panning around them as they slowly rise to their feet.

Garrus: "Shit just got real."

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

More than likely this will be another video game movie that will go through development hell and never see the light of day. So far it seems they only have the writer attached (who did both Thor and The Cell), and Legendary Films is the production company, who brought us the World of Warcraft movie.... oh wait.

Skimming the article at first was also very misleading. I thought for a second that Guillermo Del Toro was going to direct, which would have been exciting. But I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hear what they have to say at Comic-con about it.

If it does all go through I demand a 5 minute scene of just "Wrex" "Shepard".

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Even if there were a Mass Effect movie, it won't star Jennifer Hale, so what-evs.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Garrus and Tali'd get different voices as well.

As already said, what-evs.

EDIT: Someone bring up the photoshop of Cera Shepard from months ago. That's what the movie would be like.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Meh...honestly my main concern really is that being that ME doesn't have much of a name outside of gaming circles I doubt it would recieve the budget to do it justice, really.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought the Mass Effect movie was going to be about the First Contact War. So no Shepard, Garrus, Tali, etc.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Garrus and Tali'd get different voices as well.

As already said, what-evs.

EDIT: Someone bring up the photoshop of Cera Shepard from months ago. That's what the movie would be like.

Commander Shepard has to fight Liara's seven evil exs, while managing fallout from every other relationship he's been in?

I might see that.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    One wonders if this is related to the animated movie they were bandying about, or if it's different.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    One wonders if this is related to the animated movie they were bandying about, or if it's different.

I think Hudson said they were differant

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    They're doing a live action and an animated one, as far as I know. Not sure how well either will work out, if they happen.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You folks forget that Tali, Wrex, and Garrus could all be voiced by their original actors.

Edit: If they really wanted, they could use vanderloo shepard and even dub over his lips.

Daris on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jennifer Hale dubbed over vanderloo in a movie would be the best thing.

The best.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was playing through LotSB last night and discovered that you can suffer instant death in the Azure parking lot. You know how the last hover-truck loses control and crashes into the building? Well, le'ts just say that you don't want to be standing i the wrong place when that happens.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Daris wrote: »
    If they really wanted, they could use vanderloo shepard and even dub over his lips.
    Sounds dangerous....and lonely...
    markvanderloo-dkny-fragrance-launch-photos-03042009-18-430x645.jpg

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I admire your dedication to the limerick angle.

I, too, think of the Irish when I think of Batarians.

Wait.

Being Irish, I find this incredibly slanderous to Batarians as a whole. We drink far more than they do.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was playing through LotSB last night and discovered that you can suffer instant death in the Azure parking lot. You know how the last hover-truck loses control and crashes into the building? Well, le'ts just say that you don't want to be standing i the wrong place when that happens.

Bah ha ha ha, whoops!

Also, I was playing as a fem shep, but one of the dossiers in SB's lair refer to Shep as "he" and "him"

What is this nonsense?! :evil:

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Daris wrote: »
    If they really wanted, they could use vanderloo shepard and even dub over his lips.
    Sounds dangerous....and lonely...
    markvanderloo-dkny-fragrance-launch-photos-03042009-18-430x645.jpg

creepyshep's smile was mocapped :!:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Bah ha ha ha, whoops!

Also, I was playing as a fem shep, but one of the dossiers in SB's lair refer to Shep as "he" and "him"

What is this nonsense?! :evil:

Well, when Cerberus were rebuilding you, they added some.. 'upgrades'.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png