As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamegear games?

Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
So this weekend I happened to find a Gamegear complete with power supply at a junk store. Picked it up with Castelvania 4 and Jungle Strike for the SNES for a total of $20, which seemed like a decent deal to me. However, I don't own any gamegear games. I don't even really know if the unit I picked up works. What is my best bet for getting ahold of some games for Sega's old portable? eBay? Something else?

Additionally, are there any particularly good games I should be looking for? I seem to remeber that there was a port of Ninja Gaiden for the Gamegear which I'll probably look into, but I don't know a whole lot about the system's library.

Should have been a rock star.
Arch Guru XX on

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There's a Mega Man on the Game Gear, which I haven't actually played and understand to be mega-rare, which is a barely-prettier not completely original Mega Man but rather a collection of different levels from NES Mega Man games which I wouldn't have known because I've never played it or owned a Game Gear, if I remember correctly.

The Game Gear Sonics are decent. That's pretty much all I can recommend off the top of my head.

Edited because it's not actually a MM3 port.

Edited edited for clarity.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked whatever the Mickey Mouse game was waaay back when I had a Game Gear.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ecco the Dolphin 1 and 2. Psychic World. Tails Adventure Tails Adventure Tails Adventure.

And Stargate. Awesome puzzle game.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I liked whatever the Mickey Mouse game was waaay back when I had a Game Gear.

world or land of illusion. i forget which is which. and yes, epic.

Duck tales is also quality.

Micro machines. 2 player on one game gear!

DEFENDERS OF OASIS. Awesome rpg that no-one has heard of set in arabia.

Streets of rage/ streets of rage 2 are great.

I think there is a shining force title, but i never owned it.

malerik on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    There's a Mega Man on the Game Gear, which I haven't actually played and understand to be mega-rare, which is a barely-prettier completely original Mega Man, if I remember correctly.

The Game Gear Sonics are decent. That's pretty much all I can recommend off the top of my head.

Edited because it's not actually a MM3 port.

Unless there's two MegaMan games for the GameGear, then it's not original at all. It's just a collection of a few levels from some of the NES games.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya. Great game.

The Game gear Mortal Kombat was also good. Plus...

Sonic Chaos
    Mega Man
    Jurassic Park

Those are the ones I remember enjoying.

Matthew on
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Road Rash was a very, very awesome game.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had a Game Gear as a kid, because man, black and white screens were lame. I had the carrying case and AC adapter and everything. This thread brings back some memories.

I spent most of summer camp sitting next to the wall outlet, of course, but that's what you pay for true next-gen, I suppose.

Anyway.

Sonic Triple Trouble was really fucking good. Really good. Probably the best game on the system. Certainly the best game I had for it. Get it. Sonic Chaos is almost as good. Get that too.

The X-Men games were pretty good, or maybe that's just nostalgia talking, I dunno.

There was some Mario Kart ripoff called Sonic Dash 2 or something, which I played a lot.

Stay away from Sonic 2, as it's not a very good port of the SMS version (the reduced screen size makes some parts near-impossible).

Speaking of which. You wouldn't happen to have any Master System games, would you? There's an adapter that will let you use them, and Phantasy Star on the Game Gear at least sounds great to me.

A buddy of mine at that summer camp way back when (the only other kid I ever knew with a Game Gear, and no, we didn't have a link cable or anything) had that Mega Man game. How rare is it, anyway?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    the GG version of Samurai Showdown was fun.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sonic Chaos = fun and easy
    Sonic 2 = unlubed sodomy

I also beat Jurassic Park countless times.

Gim on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Road Rash, Mickey's Land of Illusion and Sonic Chaos are all you will ever need.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you can find it get Shinobi.

That game brings back some great memories it's hard when you start with Joe but once you start getting the other ninjas the game really opens up.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Lion King.

Seriously.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I too would recommend Defenders of Oasis. That was such a great game. The only bad part is the 8.6 billion random encounters you have to go through.

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, try to get you hands on Sonic Drift Racing 2 - yeah its a kart racer, with sonic - but for an 8-bit system an incredible good one.

Tails Adventure is also worth a try. Its like Metroid meets Sonic, but its really more slow paced (which isn't a negative aspect BTW).

Alex Kid in Shinoby World is great - if you somehow find the MS >>> Game Gear converter.

Sonic 1 for SMS is quite different comapred to the Genesis version. The Game Gear version has a few extras and more animated objects. Its still my favourite Sonic Game on Sega's 8bit platform.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    thedeadpenguinthedeadpenguin Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    I totally have to second Sonic Triple Trouble and the Ecco games. I liked Fantasy Zone Gear too, even if it wasn't as good as other Fantasy Zones.

thedeadpenguin on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sonic Triple Trouble is awesome.

I also really liked the Power Rangers fighting game for it, but I was like 7.

bruin on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinobi 2

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited February 2007
    Before you bother with Ebay, check out some local shops. That karaoke place in downtown LB might have a couple, I think I remember seeing some old games there. I'm sure Game Dude in Hollywood has some stuff. I used to find them at flea markets and similar places in Ohio not too long ago.

We should start a PA LBC crew.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Damn! I completely forgot about shinobi!
    Both totally excellent games.

And yeah, though Defenders of Oasis is a quality title, it IS an old school rpg. Grinding, bosses that will ANNIHALATE you and lots of random encounters, but the battle dynamic is great (each character can do different things).

malerik on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dragon Crystal.

If you like games that are really hard, but really replayable so that you don't just get annoyed with the difficulty, go for this game.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The hand held Mortal Kombat games are good fun and while buggy, not nearly as god-awful buggy as the GameBoy version.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    tulkas wrote: »
    The Lion King.

Seriously.

Yes. I remember as a young kid I was afraid of the third level, so I did speed-runs of the second.

Never did finish the third level.

EDIT: I also found this crazy, Megaman-esque game called 'Psychic Zone.' It's fantastic.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    The hand held Mortal Kombat games are good fun and while buggy, not nearly as god-awful buggy as the GameBoy version.

don't crotch punch shang tsung. it crashes the game. and the only way to beat goro is to punch constantly. the block damage gets him.

malerik on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Ristar. I never thought it would be as good as it was, but it was really damned fun.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You should get Dragon Crystal. It's an awesome dungeon hack.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Vater5B wrote: »
    Road Rash, Mickey's Land of Illusion and Sonic Chaos are all you will ever need.

Master System II cartridge adaptor + California Games SMSII cartridge and you're done.

Szechuanosaurus on