As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e D&D]Ravenloft - Castles Forlorn - Recruitment Thread

13»

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Goblyns….with a Y?!? - Round 3

The old woman looks around frantically at the goblyns that are still surrounding the wagon. She then draws herself up to her full height and yells out at the attackers, her face twisting into a contorted look of rage as she does:

"Foul beasts! You have drawn upon you the wrath of the Vistani! Your bones will break, and your flesh will melt from your body. These last moments of your life will be painful, but even more pain will be worked upon your kin!"

You feel a rush of power wash over you, and each of the goblyns in turn tense in pain. The power of the woman's words etches deep grooves on the bodies of the goblyns, instantly slaying the remaining smaller ones.

Taking a few deep breaths after the expenditure of energy, the old woman climbs off the cart. The vines that choke the ground and hinder everyone's movement seem to part ways for her and allow her to pass without obstruction. She approaches Galrin, taking a small vial from her pocket as she does. She presses it into the paladin's hand, looking him in the eye. Her voice breaks slightly as she pleads with him, "Save the boy, please!"

As this is happening the young boy continues to strain against his bonds, only this time to no effect. He only succeeds in tightening the ropes around his ankles and wrists, much to the sadistic enjoyment of the goblyn standing over him. You can see that the creature starts to reach down to grab the boy and hoist him over his shoulder.

Actions
    Old Woman
    • Standard Action: Tyrannical Threat
    • Attack/Damage Rolls
    • Minion 4 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 24 -> Dead
    • Minion 2 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 27 -> Dead
    • Minion 8 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 16 -> Miss
    • Goblyn 2 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 15 -> 7 damage (15/2)
    • Goblyn 1 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 15 -> 7 damage (15/2)
    • Goblyn 3 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 14 -> 7 damage (15/2)
    • Free Action: Dark One's Own Luck -> Reroll attack on Minion 8 -> +11 vs. Will (17) = 17 -> Dead
    • Move Action: Move to G10
    • Minor Action: Retrieve vial and hand to Galrin

Young Boy
    • Standard Action: Escape Check -> Fail!
    • Save Action: Save vs. Dazed -> Success!

Map - Round 3
    tot_rd3a.png

Initiative & Stats
    :arrow:(G5) Aiuriun : HP 48/48 | AC:18 F:16 R:16 W: 19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Wild-Shaped
    (H8) Goblyn 1: HP 47/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (G6) Marc : HP 12/42 | AC:17 F:16 R:17 W:17 | AP: 1 | HS: 6/6 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Grabbed (Escape DC 15), Bloodied!
    (H9) Riardon : HP 39/49 | AC:23 F:17 R:18 W:19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (I9) Goblyn 2: HP 53/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Immobilized (save ends), Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (H6) Goblyn 3: HP 34/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (F12) Galrin : HP 32/57 | AC:21 F:19 R:15 W:18 | AP: 1 | HS: 11/11
    (G10) Old Woman: HP 71/71 | AC: 20 F:20 R:21 W:20
    (G8) Young Boy: HP 23/23 | AC:16 F:16 R:17 W:15 | Bound (Escape DC:20)

Effects

Entangle: The burst creates a zone of grasping roots and vines that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any perceived enemy that starts its turn within the zone is slowed until the start of the young boy's next turn. While any druid is in beast form, their melee attacks against enemies within the zone can score critical hits on rolls of 18–20.

[Up Next: Aiuriun] [On Deck: Goblyn 1]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Seeing that the nearest human is in trouble, Aiuriun doubles his efforts and lashes out at the nearest goblyn, catching it off guard. Now in a flurry, the bear darts into the vines and swipes at the next goblyn, slashing and rending flesh.
    Standard: Predator's Flurry vs Goblyn 2 (Wisdom vs Reflex): 18 - Hit Goblyn 2 takes 9 dmg Goblyn 2 is dazed until the end of my next turn.
    Shift 4 squares to I7(per Predator's Flurry, make second attack)
    Predator's flurry vs Goblyn 1 (Wisdom vs Reflex): 18 - Hit Goblyn 1 takes 11 dmg Goblyn 1 is dazed until the end of my next turn.

Predator's Flurry is an encounter power so that is now expended. I've got your back, Dr ;)

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Critical only applies if your natural roll is 18-20. Looks like you just listed the normal damage though, so everything is good. Nice round! I'll get the update posted tonight.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Aww, so close. I wasn't sure on that since it was from the vine zone but duly noted, I've corrected my actions to reflect that. I'll get that first Goblyn yet.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I should have clarified for you in the text that the die had to be 18-20, not after modifiers. I'll clean that up too (although you're the only druid, so clarification is more redundant now :)

• Options

Wobbled by the strikes of the bear, the goblyn staggers off to the side, still near the young boy. The beast continues to grope at the boy as he struggles against the bonds that hold him in place.

Actions
    Goblyn 1
    • Move Action: Shift to G7

Map - Round 3
    tot_rd3b.png

Initiative & Stats
    (G5) Aiuriun : HP 48/48 | AC:18 F:16 R:16 W: 19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Wild-Shaped, Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (H8) Goblyn 1: HP 36/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Dazed (EoNT Aiuriun)
    :arrow:(G6) Marc : HP 12/42 | AC:17 F:16 R:17 W:17 | AP: 1 | HS: 6/6 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Grabbed (Escape DC 15), Bloodied!
    :arrow:(H9) Riardon : HP 39/49 | AC:23 F:17 R:18 W:19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (I9) Goblyn 2: HP 44/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Immobilized (save ends), Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Dazed (EoNT Aiuriun)
    (H6) Goblyn 3: HP 34/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (F12) Galrin : HP 32/57 | AC:21 F:19 R:15 W:18 | AP: 1 | HS: 11/11

Effects

Entangle: The burst creates a zone of grasping roots and vines that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any perceived enemy that starts its turn within the zone is slowed until the start of the young boy's next turn. While any druid is in beast form, their melee attacks against enemies within the zone can score critical hits on natural die rolls of 18–20.

[Up Next: Marc, Riardon] [On Deck: Goblyns 2 & 3]

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Blinded by pain and the mouth of the horrific beast that had enveloped his face, Marc slid his dagger from its sheath and struck upwards, catching the goblyn by surprise. He kicked the thing back and shifted away. Then stared in shock when he found himself standing right next to a bear, the largest one he had ever seen. He backed away slowly, and shook off a few of the more lively vines. "Bears can't smell blood, right? It's the sharks that can, bears, they can smell something else...woo, I don't feel so good," he muttered.
    Minor: Draw poisoned dagger
    Standard: Duelist's Flurry vs Goblin 2: 1d20+9 28 HIT 2d8+3 9 damage. Goblyn 2 is slid to G5 and Marc shifts to I6.
    Move: shift to J5

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Noting one of his new 'allies' was viciously wounded and bleeding rather profusely, Riardon thinks quickly. Cutting into his nearby foe with a ferocious assault that leaves it blinded with pain and reeling he sings out one of the primal sounds of the universe and points dramatically. It hit his ally with some force, making him stumble back even as his flesh knit together and began to heal.
    Standard:Cunning Ferocity vs Goblin 3: 1d20+11 27 1d8+5 11 Allies within 5 squares attacking goblyn 3 get a +2 damage bonus
    Move: Shift to H8
    Minor: Majestic Word on Marc, gains Healing surge +5 HP and is shifted to K6

• Options
    edited September 2011

The screeches coming from the goblyns, which you can only assume are speech, grow more frantic and chopped as the beasts seem to realize that the attack isn't going quite the way that they had planned. Still, they seem to coordinate their actions somewhat.

The creature that had been shaken by Aiuriun's attack bites and claws at the vines which still hold its legs fast, finally breaking the bonds. Looking around woozily, it puts a hand against the nearby tree to steady itself.

Standing at the back edge of the wagon, one of the other goblyns takes a pair of swings at the hobgoblin bard, grating claws across armor once again, unable to break through and damage his opponent. The beast slides to its right a few feet to stand next to Riardon on the back of the wagon, and appears to be trying to place itself as close to the boy as possible.

Actions
    Goblyn 2
    • Save Action: Versus Immobilized: Success!

Goblyn 3

Map - Round 3
    tot_rd3c.png

Initiative & Stats
    (I7) Aiuriun : HP 48/48 | AC:18 F:16 R:16 W: 19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Wild-Shaped, Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (G7) Goblyn 1: HP 36/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Dazed (EoNT Aiuriun)
    (K6) Marc : HP 27/42 | AC:17 F:16 R:17 W:17 | AP: 1 | HS: 5/6
    (H8) Riardon : HP 39/49 | AC:23 F:17 R:18 W:19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (G5) Goblyn 2: HP 35/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Dazed (EoNT Aiuriun)
    (H9) Goblyn 3: HP 23/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Bloodied!, +2 damage taken per attack (EoNT Riardon)
    :arrow:(G11) Galrin : HP 32/57 | AC:21 F:19 R:15 W:18 | AP: 1 | HS: 11/11

Effects

Entangle: The burst creates a zone of grasping roots and vines that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any perceived enemy that starts its turn within the zone is slowed until the start of the young boy's next turn. While any druid is in beast form, their melee attacks against enemies within the zone can score critical hits on natural die rolls of 18–20.

[Up Next: Galrin ] [On Deck: NPCs, Round 4]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    "You have my word," Galrin tells the old woman before he begins to make his way through the strange roots and vines towards the boy. Almost as an afterthought he drinks the vials content on the way.

Reaching the goblyn that seems intent on taking the boy, Galrin issues his challenge: "If you want the boy, you must defeat me first!"

Finally he brings his sword down upon the goblyn, which flares with the holy light of Bahamut. The goblyn is hit with nearly the full force of the attack as the light ripples across its form out from the swords strike.

Actions
    Move: Move to F8.
    Minor: Drink vial.
    Minor (from Standard): Divine Challenge Goblyn 1.
    Action Point: Standard: Radiant Smite vs AC against Goblyn 1: 1d20+12 29 HIT 2d10+7 25 radiant damage.

• Options
    Hey everyone. Spent most of the night trying to fix the washing machine, and only had time to get the update out for my other game. I'll progress the encounter tomorrow morning, for sure!

Thanks for the patience!

• Options
    Goblyns….with a Y?!? - Round 4

The paladin imbibes the potion handed to him by the mysterious old woman and immediately feels empowered. He feels more weight added to his swing, able to cleave bone and sinew quite easily. His blade crashes down into the goblyn, inflicting more damage than he thought was possible and bringing the beast to its knees. Those looking at Galrin notice a faint shimmer of power radiating from him.

The old woman shifts subtly out of the reach of one of the goblyns, then focuses on the one that Galrin had just nearly decapitated. She points her dagger at the beast and a bolt of pure energy erupts from the point, slamming into the creature and leaving a gaping hole in its chest. It staggers slightly backwards, looking down at the damage done to it for a few seconds before collapsing to the ground, dead.

The young boy finally is able to break out of the bonds that were holding him, and carefully crawls down off the cart to lie near the old woman, clutching at her robes.

Actions
    Galrin
    • Minor Action: Vistani Potion:
      • Gain +5 to damage until the end of your next turn

Old Woman
    • Move Action: Shift to F10
    • Standard Action: Eldritch Blast versus Goblyn 1

Young Boy
    • Standard Action: Escape = Success!
    • Move Action: Shift(Crawl) to F9

Map - Round 3
    tot_rd4a.png

Initiative & Stats
    :arrow:(I7) Aiuriun : HP 48/48 | AC:18 F:16 R:16 W: 19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Wild-Shaped, Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (K6) Marc : HP 27/42 | AC:17 F:16 R:17 W:17 | AP: 1 | HS: 5/6
    (H8) Riardon : HP 39/49 | AC:23 F:17 R:18 W:19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (G5) Goblyn 2: HP 35/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Dazed (EoNT Aiuriun)
    (H9) Goblyn 3: HP 23/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Bloodied!, +2 damage taken per attack (EoNT Riardon)
    (F8) Galrin : HP 32/57 | AC:21 F:19 R:15 W:18 | AP: 0 | HS: 11/11 | +5 damage until EoNT
    (F10) Old Woman: HP 71/71 | AC: 20 F:20 R:21 W:20
    (F9) Young Boy: HP 23/23 | AC:16 F:16 R:17 W:15 | Prone

Effects

[Up Next: Aiuriun, Marc, Riardon] [On Deck: Goblyns 2 & 3 (Maybe)]

• Options
    Just a head's up to clarify for people. I'm not a strict "has to be in this initiative order" kind of person, so if you want to manipulate who goes when in a block to maximize "End of Next Turn" type effects, that's cool with me

• Options
    Seeing the Goblyn he had injured begin to move to the outskirts of the battle, Aiuriun gives chase with a deep, bellowing "RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWR" The impact of the bear's claws force the Goblyn back into the vines but it manages to evade the second strike.
    Move: Move to H6
    Standard: Savage Rend vs Goblyn 2 (Wisdom vs Reflex): 21 - Hit! Goblyn 2 takes 12 dmg (9 + 3 from Claw Gloves) Goblyn 2 is slid to G6
    Action Point: Standard: Pounce vs Goblyn 2 (Wisdom vs Reflex): 10 - Miss!

I forgot to add my +1 against bloodied on the action point shot but it would have missed anyway so moot :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marc scanned the battlefield as the creatures were cut down one by one. Seeing one still standing atop the wagon, he took aim and fired, only to see the shot go wide. He slid another bolt into his crossbow and fired once more, taking a decent sized chunk out of the side of the wagon. "By the Flame...," he muttered.
    Standard: Distracting Shot vs Goblyn 3: 1d20+8 13 MISS 1d6+3 7
    Action Point: Sly Flourish vs Goblyn 3: 1d20+8 16 MISS 1d6+6 8

• Options
    Just throwing this in to be absolutely sure: Goblyn 2 is now no longer dazed, but will be slowed once his turn starts

• Options
    Paging @Z0re so he'll see the bookmark update. Riardon's up.

• Options
    Noting their enemies had been mostly slain, Riardon conserves his energy and fights with shorter and more controlled motions. He slices into the nearby goblyn again, staggering it. He grins with a vicious elation at this, and then casts a minor spell to move the boy farther away from the attackers.
    Standard:Guiding Strike vs Goblyn 3: 1d20+11 24 1d8+5 12 It takes a -2 penalty to AC until EoMNT
    Move: Moment of Escape: Slide Young Boy to E10

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Goblyns….with a Y?!? - Round 4

The beasts glance around with what appears to be a look of terror on their faces. It's clear that their ambush has failed, and for a moment they act as if they are going to flee. Something stops them, however, and as one they launch themselves with ferocity at the paladin standing atop the ruined wagon. Galrin tries to evade as a flurry of claws come at him but he's only partially successful. A pair of claws find their way through his defenses, leaving vicious wounds.

Actions
    Goblyn 2
    • Move Action: Shift to F7
    • Standard Action: Double Claw vs. Galrin
    Accidentally had him at +12 to hit, but it's actually +10, so the first one was a miss. Second one was a crit though, so that still stands.

Goblyn 3

Map - Round 3
    tot_rd4b.png

Initiative & Stats
    (H6) Aiuriun : HP 48/48 | AC:18 F:16 R:16 W: 19 | AP: 0 | HS: 10/10 | Wild-Shaped, Slowed (SoNT Young Boy)
    (K6) Marc : HP 27/42 | AC:17 F:16 R:17 W:17 | AP: 0 | HS: 5/6
    (F7) Goblyn 2: HP 23/66 | AC: 21 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Bloodied!
    (G9) Goblyn 3: HP 11/66 | AC: 19 F:18 R:17 W:17 | Slowed (SoNT Young Boy), Bloodied!, -2 AC (EoNT Riardon)
    :arrow:(F8) Galrin : HP 13/57 | AC:21 F:19 R:15 W:18 | AP: 0 | HS: 11/11 | +5 damage until EoNT, Bloodied!
    (F10) Old Woman: HP 71/71 | AC: 20 F:20 R:21 W:20
    (E10) Young Boy: HP 23/23 | AC:16 F:16 R:17 W:15 | Prone

Effects

[Up Next: Galrin] [On Deck: NPCs, Round 5]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Quick page to @Lezta, Galrin is up!

• Options
    Sorry, it's been a manic weekend!

Seeing that the boy is back from the bulk of the fighting, Galrin allows himself a second to breathe and fight past his wounds.

Actions
    Standard: Second Wind (Cloak of the Walking Wounded): Spend 2 Healing Surges and gain 28hp.

I'm going out of town for a week and won't have internet access. Feel free to play Galrin if it's needed! See you in a week!

• Options
    Forums were down last night. I'll get the update out tonight.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Going to go ahead and hand-wave the last few actions, since the outcome has become obvious. So…

Goblyns….with a Y?!? – Encounter Complete!

The last of the beasts falls to your combined might, and you stop to catch your breath; sore and bruised in some cases and still utterly confused. The massive vines that choked the trail and destroyed the wagon recede into the ground, leaving only the broken husk of the travel mechanism as a testament that they even existed in the first place.

Standing near the wreckage the old woman reaches down and picks up the boy, giving him a strong hug. The boy sobs and grabs at the woman's robes, obviously distraught at the events that had just transpired. The woman looks up to the group, her eyes glistening with tears.

"Thank you. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't have come along. Those beasts would have taken young Petar, and I would have been lost without him."

She looks back down to the boy, trying to console him and help him regain his composure. The boy's crying echoes in the eerily silent forest, providing a morose backdrop to the carnage that lies upon the trail.

Final Stats
    Aiuriun : HP 48/48 | AC:18 F:16 R:16 W: 19 | AP: 0 | HS: 10/10 | Wild-Shaped
    Marc : HP 27/42 | AC:17 F:16 R:17 W:17 | AP: 0 | HS: 5/6
    Riardon : HP 39/49 | AC:23 F:17 R:18 W:19 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10
    Galrin : HP 41/57 | AC:21 F:19 R:15 W:18 | AP: 0 | HS: 9/11
    Effects

Illianthar on
  • Options
    "VICTORY!" Aiuriun bellowed but instead heard "RAWWWWWWWWWWWWR!" Overcome by the rush of battle, the druid had forgotten he was still in a bear's skin. Clearly, the men around him were not enemies and so it seemed safe to reveal himself. He stood up to his full height and then began to shrink. Fur receding to hair, face, arms, and claws, all returning to his Shifter appearance. Clearing his throat, and putting his hand to mouth "Ahem...my apologies for the spectacle." Awkwardly letting his eyes wander off to the forest, he hoped one of the others would take lead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Riardon slowly lowers his weapon, though he keeps it drawn and his shield as close to the other members of the impromptu party as possible. He takes a good look at the dead goblyns with his good eye, slightly puzzled by their appearance. He turns back his attention as the bear roars and shifts back into a more humanoid form. After his little awkward comment, and the ensuing silence, Riardon decides to speak.

"What exactly is happening here?" He growls out to the woman and the group, "Why am I here? What kind of magic was that mist?"

• Options
    Marc checked to make sure his various wounds were not life-threatening, then looked around at the assembled group. "Who are you people? And where are we?"

• Options
    Hey everyone, will try and update tonight, if the forums allow it

• Options
    edited September 2011
    The old woman nods her head knowingly at each of you after the bevy of questions, still holding the boy close to her body to comfort him. When she speaks, her voice is calm and collected, though it exudes a sense of power behind it.

"Yes, yes. Please forgive me. It must be quite confusing what has happened to you."

She puts her fingers to her lips thoughtfully, as if searching for the best possible words to use in the situation. The young boy clings to her, still very much terrified of the events which have just ended.

"The questions you have are quite common to newcomers to this place. I will try to explain in a few words that which has taken thousands of years to transpire."

She points behind the group, towards the thick fog which blocks all sight, "The Mists hold the lands together, but they are much more than simple fog. They bind the lords of the lands to their kingdoms; they kidnap travellers from many places (which I suspect is what happened to you). Most can pass freely through the haze. Where you'll end up is anyone's guess. There are a great many lands here, all places of great evil."

She turns to Riardon as she continues, "What purpose the Mists had in bringing you here, I cannot say." Her gaze then falls on Marc. "My name is Madame Ursula, and this is my grandson, Petar. We are of the Vistani; wanderers that ply our trades throughout the lands. My personal talent is foretelling the future through the casting of the dikesha, the bones. As to where we are, I believe we are in the land of Gundarak; a land ruled by by the malevolent Duke Gundar. Although…"

Her voice trails off as she looks at the landscape around the party. The rotting trees stand mute and silent in the still air. Their branches are twisted, almost grasping out to try and ensnare an unwitting passerby. A look of slight confusion passes over Madame Ursula's face as she speaks next, "…the land of Gundarak is a verdant and thriving place. This forest is dead…or if not dead, extremely sick. So I cannot say for absolute certain where we are."

With a sudden thought, she reaches inside her robes and produces a small leather sack, bound with some kind of animal hair. She shakes the sack slightly and you can hear several small items inside the sack clink together.

"Perhaps the bones can bring clarity where there is now confusion. Would you do me the honor of allowing me to throw the bones and foretell your future in this place?"

If you want, Ursula will try and see into your future. If you take her up on it, give me two separate 1d6 rolls as part of your post. Also, consider this a short rest, so you can use surges as necessary.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Upon hearing the teller's offer, Aiuriun's mind immediately went to the events that lead him here, perhaps she can tell me of my lost guardian and also the druid I encountered in the mists. Clearing his throat again and raising his hand slightly, "Ahem, I do have questions, if you can see the answers there. The forest seems...unnatural, against the teachings of Melora. If your bones can provide answers, then my ears are yours."

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Riardon narrowed his good eye at the woman, her story seemed more than a little ridiculous. Still, he could not deny he was nowhere near the island he had come from by the climate alone. And he had to admit some curiosity in seeing this display of fortune-telling, some of the old stories spoke of similar practices carried out by his ancestors even though it had died out decades before the height of their empire. "I too would like to have a foretelling. If what you say is true... I need as much information as you can give me."
    Spend 1 healing surge to get back to full HP
    Fortune telling: 1d6 2
    Fortune telling: 1d6 2

• Options
    Been super busy at work and home this week, but will get an update out tonight. Thanks for the patience. Things should start slowing down now, so I can get to more regular updates.

• Options
    I'm back chaps!

Galrin leans on his sword, taking in what the old woman, this Vistani, had told him. He wasn't entirely convinced by her tale of mists that steal people away. But the idea that the witch he hunted had perhaps used them to send him here seemed somewhat plausible.

He smiled at the old woman's offer. A harmless parlour trick. It would do no harm to indulge her. 'You may tell me my future, Madam. I am as lost as everyone else'
    Roll 1: 1d6 4

Roll 2: 1d6 6

• Options
    edited October 2011
    The old woman cackles with glee, shaking the bag of bones up and down, seemingly rejuvenated by the prospect of scrying into the futures' of the motley crew assembled. She walks swiftly over to one of the twisted, broken trees and reaches up towards one of the branches. The limb almost seems to recoil from the woman's reach, though you're not sure if it's just a trick of the eye. She snatches the branch and breaks it off cleanly from the tree, then returns to the road and scratches out a large circle in the dirt with the blackened wood. Once finished, she breaks the stick into two pieces and casts it from the circle. She then lowers her head and chants in a soft, low voice. The language is not one that you have ever heard, but the hair on the back of your neck seems to rise regardless.

Her chant completed, Ursula sits on one side of the circle and motions to the young boy Petar. "Petar, come and help your Oma." Petar nods his head and walks to her side within the circle. Satisfied that all is ready, Ursula turns to the group. "Remember, the bones foretell the future. What they say might not seem logical, or possible in this time. But they never lie."

She turns first to Aiuriun. "Come, friend of the wood. Let us see what the bones have in store for you." The rest of the group notices a slight shimmer as the shifter crosses into the circle.

The rest of the party watches on as the woman casts the bones and speaks to the druid. Sound seems to come out of the circle, but the sound is….changed….in some fashion. You can tell that words are being spoken, and they seem to be in the Common tongue, but despite any level of concentration the words are not understandable.

Aiuriun
    The woman motions for you to take a seat across from her. Opening the drawstring, she reaches into the bag and grabs a handful of the bones. Placing the bag respectfully beside her, she closes both hands around the shards and blows on them slowly, chanting slightly as she does. Then, with a flourish she opens her hands and the bones clatter onto the ground.

You notice that the bones are carved into the shapes of miniature animals and shapes. Also, they almost seem to be moving slightly, although only the ones at the peripheral of your vision seem to exhibit any motion. Your gaze falls upon one particular figure, a bear. The bear is quite detailed and reminds you strikingly of your guardian, even down to the smallest patch of missing fur behind one of the bear's ear.

Ursula notices your stare at the figure, and calmly notes, "The bones show that which the viewer deigns to see. For you that may be a bear; for me…it is quite different." She pores over the bones, moving her hands this way and that a few inches above the figures; her fingers twitching slightly at times. After a few such moments, she withdraws her hands and looks directly at you. Her eyes seem almost glazed over, and you get the distinct feel of arcane power emanating from her body. Petar places a hand on her shoulder, carefully placing his fingers, and you start suddenly as it is he that speaks, not the old woman. His voice sounds cold and hollow, and his eyes mimic her blank stare.

"The spirits of the animals and plants of the world hold a special place in their heart for you, guardian of the grove. You must seek the Sanctuary of your brethren. You will find them to be valuable allies in your quest, though rest and respite will elude you. Be wary of beasts, for their allegiance is given not to you."

Ursula shudders visibly, and Petar's shoulders slump. When both of them recover, they seem back to their 'normal' selves. Ursula sweeps the bones up and places them back into the bag.

"I hope that what you have heard helps you in a time of great need."

Their conversation apparently complete, the druid exits the circle. Ursula then focuses on Riardon. "You, you are a keeper of tradition and secrets; not unlike myself. Join me, and we will see what the bones foretell." Her words are clear and crisp once again, and easy to understand. The air shimmers as the hobgoblin crosses the circle.

Riardon
    Ursula smiles at you as you enter the circle. You immediately feel surrounded by a great arcane power which seems to come from the very ground, permeating everything within the circle.

"Please be seated, Goblin-kin."

The woman reaches into the bag of bones and swirls her hand around somewhat, then clutches at several of the shards and pulls them from the sack. She then places the bag lovingly to the side. Shaking her hands back and forth to move the bones around, she casts them forcibly into the ground, causing them to bounce several times before coming to a rest. You notice immediately that several of them are carved figurines of hobgoblins in various war-like poses. There are also several that are in the likeness of runes. You immediately identify the runes as the names of the various Hobgoblin tribes of Khorvaire. One particular rune you are not able to identify at first. You then recall seeing the same rune in the journal that you procured from Thralkan-bruz.

Ursula leans over, placing her face within inches of the small figurines. She seems to be listening closely. When she sits back up, you see that her eyes have become a swirling white, as if they are filled with swirling mists. The young boy lightly touches her shoulder, then convulses visibly before words escape his lips. You feel slightly confused as you realize that the boy is speaking to you in perfect Goblin.

"The tribes are scattered. Their trust can be won, and their swords put to your cause. To do this, you must walk the gauntlet and survive to win freedom for all. Beware that which shines in the night sky, for it leads to only treachery."

The reading complete, the bones seem to shudder along with the woman and the boy. Ursula takes a deep breath, then collects the bones and smiles to you as you exit the circle.

Once again the woman's voice is clear and without distortion once Riardon leaves the circle. Her gaze rests on Galrin next. "I need not the bones to see your fate, holy warrior. The Mists always have a use for those that are righteous. But cast them we will, for there are times that even the most astute of us can be led astray."

Galrin
    You feel slightly cold as you cross over into the circle. Ursula greets you with a warm smile, and you see frost escape her lips as she breathes. The rain starts to crystalize slightly as it touches the ground, but despite the ever-deepening cold you do not shiver. Ursula motions for you to take a seat.

She begins to reach into the bag of bones, then stops, a quizzical look on her face. Taking her hand out of the bag, she holds it out to you. "The bones request your touch. Take what you will from them, and cast them to the ground."

As you reach into the bag you feel a multitude of small items clank against your gauntlets. They almost seem to writhe and move of their own accord, seeming less like solid bone and more like liquid. You grasp a handful of them and toss them onto the ground in the circle between the two of you. Ursula begins to study them, and you begin to notice that the various bones are carved into small masks. Looking more closely, your confusion rises as you realize that the masks are actually detailed faces, and some of the faces are those that you recognize. You see the faces of the group that you led into the mountains after the witch. You see the frightened face of Donovan, and the leering, laughing face of the witch that you fought in the cave before reaching this place. There are also faces that you do not recognize. One is that of a strikingly handsome man. Strong features accentuate a perfectly symmetrical face, though a look of sternness is set on his lips. Another of the faces is less of a face and more of a ghostly visage that seems to writhe and move despite the inanimate state of the bones themselves. Red eyes shine like pinpricks from the bones, and it seems to stare deep into your soul.

Ursula straightens suddenly, her face a mask of horror and her eyes sunk back in her skull. The young boy Petar puts his hand to her shoulder, then goes rigid. The two of them remain frozen in time for several seconds before both open their mouths to speak in unison. Their voices are haunting and powerful, echoing across the circle and nearly splitting your eardrums.

"Your fate lies not in Time but in the Castles Three."

With that, both of them slump to the ground, visibly weakened by the experience. When Ursula next looks up, she seems frightened.

When Galrin passes out of the circle, a slight sound, like that of crystal being broken resounds across the wood, and the circle dissipates from the ground, leaving nothing but the dirt in its place. The old woman stands, a look of obvious worry and nervousness on her face. She grabs onto the boy, clutching him tightly and walking to the destroyed wagon. The mules which once powered the vehicle have long since run into the woods, and all that is left of the cart is a pile of broken wood. She clears away some of the debris and reaches for a small wooden box. Dusting it off, she walks back to the group and hands it to Galrin. She also fetches a dusty, creased map and hands it to the paladin.

"The bones have seen a great deal, and I now know for certain that this is not the land of Gundarak, as I believed up to now. This is the land of Forlorn; a cursed place ruled by a malevolent spirit. It is said that the ruler of this place is deeply evil, and exists outside of time itself. It also makes a great deal of sense why the creatures were so focused on Petar…the denizens of this place despise those with red hair; though I know not why.

I believe that you must confront the evil of this land, though for what reason is anyone's guess. The will of the Mists and the Powers that control them are beyond the comprehension of mortals.
    I must take Petar from here immediately, for his own safety. Take these potions and this map. They are all that I can offer you. I wish you luck on your quest, and hope that you find a way back to the lands you were stolen from."

With that, Madame Ursula gathers a few items from the cart, grabs onto Petar and the two of them disappear back into the Mists, leaving the four of you alone amidst the corpses of the goblyns and the morose forest.

Within the wooden box are 4 of the same potions that she gave to Galrin. If imbibed, they will grant you +5 to all damage done until the end of your next turn.

The map shows the basic layout of a large geographic area. Penned in Common at the top is a single word, "Forlorn".

Of primary interest on the map is a large castle, situated on a high hill overlooking a village just to the north. There is also a strange chasm amidst some mountains detailed in the center of the map, nad a large lake just west of the village and castle.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    The old woman's words repeated themselves in his ears "You must seek the Sanctuary of your brethren..." Aiuriun's mind went back to the druid he met in the mists and wondered if she could be of their order. If she was...they would want to know her fate, perhaps that is the same village on the map...what did she call it? Birnam? Perhaps there. *Sigh* there's no way I could make that sort of trek alone if those goblyns are any indication.

Trying to not seem awkward and failing horribly, Aiuriun tries to speak up again. "Ahem...these mists seem to have forced us all here and after what Madame Ursula foretold in her bones, perhaps there is strength in numbers? Shall we take a look over that map...?" Uncertain if he overstepped his bounds, he let his voice trail off.

If DrDinosaur or wants to jump in before me, go ahead. I just wanted to get the ball rolling

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marc stood off to the side as the woman worked her dark magic. As she threw her bones, he rubbed his lucky charm, hoping to ward off the bad luck that would inevitably result from this witchcraft. He tried not to seem happy as she explained that she would be unable to continue with them, and must leave immediately.
    "Well, I suppose that we'd best get to know each other, since it looks like we're stuck together for a while yet. My name's Marc Redtail. I don't suppose it'll mean anything to you, but I am, or was, an Inquisitive. Also did a stint in the army, so I have some familiarity with maps, if you want me to take a look at that," he nodded towards the map.

Spending one healing surge to bring my HP to 37/42 and my surges to 5/6

• Options
    Galrin nods to the Inquisitive and hands him the map. He seems a little stunned after the old woman's display.

"I am Galrin, Paladin of the Most Pure Flame. By all means, study the map..."

He seems very distant, distracted.

• Options
    Hey everyone...for some reasons that I don't really want to get into I'm going to have to cancel this game.

I really apologize to each of you. It was not my intent to start something that I couldn't finish, but life such as it is right now I just don't have the free time or the desire to put for the effort that is needed to provide you guys with a quality experience.

If life comes back around and things are looking up again, then I'll get in touch with everyone and see if you all want to try it again.

Sorry again for the truncated game...

• Options
    Very many sadface

steam_sig.png