As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You ready to get your game on? [Yu-gi-oh]

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
Okay so We had one of these before and it sort of died off.

Now though ?

We have THIS :
http://www.duelingnetwork.com/

It's probably the best online version of Yu-gi-oh at the moment. It's free and has every real card now downloading required either.
I would like to remedy this last part. I ask you the people of penny arcade to join me in playing virtual childrens card games.

I'm pretty well versed in the game so I am happy to answer questions but no I cannot explain how to play I am an awful teacher. My advice is to learn through a couple practice games. Which again I am happy to oblige with when I have time.

This Video can help. Also it's horrible but funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDmJVGtizQ

XYZ summoning and you.
You have two monsters of the same level but one isn't a tuner? Or maybe it is and you just don't have synchro that you want to use at the moment?
No problem youstill got options bro.

X
Y
Z

By stacking those monsters on top of each other you can special summon an XYZ monster from your extra deck( as long as it's rank and material requirements match up to the monsters)

So you have let's say you have two level three monsters You can summon a RANK three Xyz from the Extra deck.
Yeah Xyz don't have levels. They're purposely designed not to work with most game mechanics to prevent abuse.

Now those two monster used go underneath the Xyz monster and are no longer considered monsters but a sort of token called an XYZ material.
Generally you can detach one of these as an effect cost for the Xyz monster. So for the most part the effect is balanced by how many materials the monster needs to be summoned. Better effects require more monsters .
( for example No.39 Terrorbyte has a built in mind control and as such requires three monsters to be summoned. he also has 0 attack but 2900 defense making him worthless for OTKs)

Xyz like a champ.
There are scads of ways to Xyz I'll list the best options not specific to older archetypes
-Tourguide of the underworld /Deep sea diva -
Diva is slightly more versatile as she can synchro and now summon a monster that destroys a spell or trap but she's limited to an XYZ pool of two monsters
Tourguide has a shit load of targets. She doesn't allow synchros but she searches sangan and Rank three is arguably the best Rank for XYz monsters

-Crashbugs-
Sort of weird gadgets Love tourguide. All of them have zero attack so they love Debris dragon as well.
all Crashbugs are Level three and special summon one of their members if another is on the field
The exception is their boss card Super Crashbug who when in attack mode switches the attack and defense of all monsters.
His defense is 3000.
yeah.

-Wind ups-
Blurgh. They do the job but man they are WEAK. Their boss Xyz is sucky as hell.

-Gagaga Magician-
Changes his level to be anything from 1-8.
Can't be used ina Synchro summon
Rituals are okay though,
Basically he's pretty versatile

Here's the Wiki. It's useful as a depository of every card. and for the most part it's well organized
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'd like to do a tournament eventually as well.
Here's the current restriction list. It changes in April. I'll modify it accordingly
Forbidden:
Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End
Cyber Jar
Cyber-Stein
Dark Magician of Chaos
Destiny Hero - Disk Commander
Fiber Jar
Fishborg Blaster
Magical Scientist
Magician of Faith
Makyura the Destructor
Mind Master
Rescue Cat
Sinister Serpent
Substitoad
Tribe-Infecting Virus
Tsukuyomi
Victory Dragon
Witch of the Black Forest
Yata-Garasu
Thousand-Eyes Restrict
Dark Strike Fighter
Goyo Guardian
Brain Control
Butterfly Dagger - Elma
Card of Safe Return
Change of Heart
Cold Wave
Confiscation
Delinquent Duo
Dimension Fusion
Giant Trunade
Graceful Charity
Harpie's Feather Duster
Last Will
Mass Driver
Metamorphosis
Mirage of Nightmare
Painful Choice
Pot of Greed
Premature Burial
Raigeki
Snatch Steal
Temple of the Kings
The Forceful Sentry
Crush Card Virus
Exchange of the Spirit
Imperial Order
Last Turn
Ring of Destruction
Royal Oppression
Time Seal

NEW: Fishborg Blaster, Mind Master, Giant Trunade, Royal Oppression

Limited:
Left Arm of the Forbidden One
Left Leg of the Forbidden One
Right Arm of the Forbidden One
Right Leg of the Forbidden One
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow
Dandylion
Dark Armed Dragon
Debris Dragon
Elemental Hero Stratos
Exodia the Forbidden One
Gladiator Beast Bestiari
Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
Honest
Lonefire Blossom
Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
Marshmallon
Mezuki
Morphing Jar
Necroface
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
Night Assailant
Plaguespreader Zombie
Sangan
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Formula Synchron
Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En
T.G. Hyper Librarian
Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Advanced Ritual Art
Allure of Darkness
Black Whirlwind
Book of Moon
Burial from a Different Dimension
Card Destruction
Charge of the Light Brigade
Dark Hole
Emergency Teleport
Foolish Burial
Future Fusion
Gateway of the Six
Heavy Storm
Infernity Launcher
Level Limit - Area B
Limiter Removal
Mind Control
Monster Gate
Monster Reborn
One For One
Pot of Avarice
Primal Seed
Reasoning
Reinforcement of the Army
Scapegoat
Shien's Smoke Signal
Ceasefire
Magical Explosion
Mirror Force
Return from the Different Dimension
Solemn Judgment
The Transmigration Prophecy
Torrential Tribute
Trap Dustshoot
Wall of Revealing Light

NEW: Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, Debris Dragon, Lonefire Blossom, Formula Synchron, Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En, T.G. Hyper Librarian, Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, Heavy Storm, Pot of Avarice, Primal Seed, Shien's Smoke Signal

Semi-Limited:
Archlord Kristya
Card Trooper
Destiny Hero - Malicious
Necro Gardna
Summoner Monk
Tragoedia
Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier
Chain Strike
Destiny Draw
Magical Stone Excavation
Royal Tribute
Swords of Revealing Light
Bottomless Trap Hole
Call of the Haunted
Magic Cylinder
Mind Crush
Ojama Trio
Solemn Warning

NEW: Necro Gardna, Summoner Monk, Tragoedia, Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier, Destiny Draw, Swords of Revealing Light, Call Of The Haunted, Mind Crush

No Longer Limited:
Judgment Dragon
Spirit Reaper
Megamorph
Mystical Space Typhoon
Overload Fusion
Gravity Bind
Icarus Attack

So anyway let's talk about Yu-Gi-Oh!

( My phone hates both versions of the new forum and my PC access is limited . So I apologize if Im not always able to respond right away. Posting is a nightmare.)

Coolists - I'll add people here as they start playing.
King Riptor
MrDef
Rheannon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    I signed up as MrDef

I'll play with you every once and awhile, I have no Idea about anything new though so I went off the tv show sorta and looking things up to make a blackwing deck. I kinda wanna make a black magician deck but in the duel place i dunno how I decide what my deck is supposed to fall under (besides not playing any rated games)

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    i used to pwn all the AIs in the GBA yugioh games

now i dunno wtf I am doing here

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    oh damn you need to communicate and tell people stuff and what youre doing

• Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    I loved making a deck destruction deck. Let's face it - I don't know shit about how to pull out strong monsters. But if I can make you deck out before your fifth turn it's all good

juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    aw fuck

aw FUCK

yeah I'm in

• Options
    So this blackwing deck doesnt seem to have big monsters its all about having a million blackwing zerg fest or something

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    So this blackwing deck doesnt seem to have big monsters its all about having a million blackwing zerg fest or something

I think that's part of it but also they have really strong synchro monsters that are easy to summon.

Also they unbanned Dark Hole it is like they want me to only ever play crystal beasts and fortune ladies ever.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Yeah, Blackwing-decks do tend to be the type that you'll love to dish out on opponents and hate seeing on the other side of the field. Plus almost all of them are Dark-Element cards meaning besides their own line of support cards you can add Dark support cards to their deck without worry. I'm more of a fan of Dragon decks myself though. If I had the dough, I would have tried to make one based around this one.

rednovadragonstblenur1e.jpg

Does anyone how Synchro Monsters fare these days? I'm curious to know if they can put up a good fight against Xyz Monsters.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    That video is ridonkulous.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    While playing the recent Wii game, I more or less settled on an Amazoness deck.

They're also sort of about swarming, but they're not nearly as good at it as Blackwings, which makes it kinda sorta really annoying to go up against Blackwing decks.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    what syncrhos should I be putting in this black wing deck, I've never really used syncrhos before.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Synchros at the moment outclass Xyz monsters.
    Blackwings should run their Synchros excluding Silver wind the isolated Dark end dragon and whatever else you see fit.
    l'll edit the OP later today with some more info and the ban list.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Blackwing

More like

Cuntwing

• Options

I played Blackwings. Literally the best deck in the format .

Lost to Lightsworn everytime.

In retrospect Double Judgement Dragon on Turn two every time was probably a clue dudes were cheating. I have since become more proactive at tournaments regarding calling judges

They're a skeleton of what they were though.
    also added the Ban list to the OP.

Oh yes I currently have the following decks on DN
    Jurrac
    Steelswarm
    Gishki
    Elemental HEROes
    Ojama( not complete)
    Karakuri
    Scraps

The last three aren't done yet. They need Xyz monsters. They're still playable they just don't have much stability.

I'll be using Steelswarm today. I'll setup a duel with the password Penny arcade if anyone's interested. I'll be available for about an an hour or so

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to watch more of that YuGiOh abridged thingy on the youtubs

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Cancel that duel something's come up.

@geek - It's very funny. Much better than the billions of others "inspired" by it

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY RAP CAAAAAARD

NOHOMO.png

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cancel that duel something's come up.

@geek - It's very funny. Much better than the billions of others "inspired" by it

Oh yes, I agree it's quite hilarious. I just stopped keeping up with episodes at some point and then just kinda forgot about it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    They finally banned Heavy Storm too : D

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:
    YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY RAP CAAAAAARD

Funny, but the game already has something like that...

jumpen007.jpg

...which is aided by this card...

yujumpen006.jpg

...and this card is supported by the first two.

jumpen008.jpg

• Options
    Tried so hard to make a unity control deck.

Fun fact those cards are thus far the only ones to feature cast members from the anime.

The game has a separate storyline but Konami doesnt see fit to release any of it outside of Japan.

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    so can i run this on macs and is it as good as yvd

• Options
    just went to the page you linked riptor

what are you doing

• Options
    Was the link wrong? I fixed it just in case. I did warn you about the Cockwads.

SShould be Mac friendly too.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    I am mildly interested in this. If only to lose forever, and ever, and ever.

• Options
    If you want advice on building a deck that can function I have some tips

Pick a Theme.
    Themes are very prevalent in this game. Mainly so new players can build a deck with some consistency.
    It helps trust me. Gladiator beasts and Gravekeepers are good starter themes. I'll post a link to the Wiki for complete card lists as some theme cards don't share a name.

Get a Monster Spell Trap ratio you like and stick with it
    I prefer 20/15/5 plenty of room to modify as the format dictates.

Try not to go over 40 cards. Rarely if ever will you see a deck with more than 40 cards. You actually put yourself at a disadvantage

Really know what your deck is capable of. You should be able to draw any hand and have at least 2 posssible plays. Missing an option will come back and bite you on the ass.

• Options

no just
    the music

also they never ever sent me a confirmation email

• Options
    aw man I guess I deleted all my YVD stuff

now I gotta try and remake my Blue Eyes White Dragon deck from memory

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote:

no just
    the music

also they never ever sent me a confirmation email

Oh I've always muted it never really heard the music to be honest.

No clue about the confirmation email. Mine came about 3 hours after I applied.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    My DN username is Rheannon. I got a few decks, chain burn, normals, mill and monarchs. Willing to build a traditional (no banned list) deck.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I'll sign up, had a killer elemental hero deck.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    okay so as a beginner thing i made a gravekeeper deck

i'll try that out first till I get usta it then move onto my blackwings deck

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Someone should play this with me because I am terrified of playing with random people when I don't know how the thing works : (

Also not sure there's any interest but I made #cardgames on slashnet since the game client doesn't necessarily seem good for idling or communicating with idlers or communicating in general. It would just be good for random game inquiries for me since I'm usually on IRC anyway.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i played a mean zombie deck

fuck some dudes up

• Options
    Frosteey wrote:
    Someone should play this with me because I am terrified of playing with random people when I don't know how the thing works : (

Also not sure there's any interest but I made #cardgames on slashnet since the game client doesn't necessarily seem good for idling or communicating with idlers or communicating in general. It would just be good for random game inquiries for me since I'm usually on IRC anyway.

This is basicall why I made the thread lol. I unfortunately made it when I agreed to an absurd amount of overtime though so I won't be able to play for a week. It helps that people will try to get you banned for anything. They've added an appeals system though which is thankfully curbing that but it still happens.

Yeah the in game chat is mainly for declaring chains and saying good game.

• Options
    Okay folks updating the OP. XYZ monsters are now on DN. This means you too can p0lay with the five good ones! I'll include a how to use them guide.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yu Gi Oh was what the kids in middle school played when I was in high school

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Yu Gi Oh was what the kids in middle school played when I was in high school

It's got more older players now than younger ones. At best it's an even split. Play it CD. Join usssss.
    Edit
    Us. sorry. Keyboard sticks.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So what do you guys think of the new banned list that'll start on sept. 1st? The wtf card for this list is Black Luster Soldier Envoy of the Beginning.
    Forbidden:
    Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End
    Cyber Jar
    Cyber-Stein
    Dark Magician of Chaos
    Destiny Hero - Disk Commander
    Fiber Jar
    Fishborg Blaster
    Magical Scientist
    Magician of Faith
    Makyura the Destructor
    Mind Master
    Rescue Cat
    Sinister Serpent
    Substitoad
    Tribe-Infecting Virus
    Tsukuyomi
    Victory Dragon
    Witch of the Black Forest
    Yata-Garasu
    Thousand-Eyes Restrict
    Dark Strike Fighter
    Goyo Guardian
    Brain Control
    Butterfly Dagger - Elma
    Card of Safe Return
    Change of Heart
    Cold Wave
    Confiscation
    Delinquent Duo
    Dimension Fusion
    Giant Trunade
    Graceful Charity
    Harpie's Feather Duster
    Last Will
    Mass Driver
    Metamorphosis
    Mirage of Nightmare
    Painful Choice
    Pot of Greed
    Premature Burial
    Raigeki
    Snatch Steal
    Temple of the Kings
    The Forceful Sentry
    Crush Card Virus
    Exchange of the Spirit
    Imperial Order
    Last Turn
    Ring of Destruction
    Royal Oppression
    Time Seal

NEW: Fishborg Blaster, Mind Master, Giant Trunade, Royal Oppression

Limited:
    Left Arm of the Forbidden One
    Left Leg of the Forbidden One
    Right Arm of the Forbidden One
    Right Leg of the Forbidden One
    Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
    Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
    Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow
    Dandylion
    Dark Armed Dragon
    Debris Dragon
    Elemental Hero Stratos
    Exodia the Forbidden One
    Gladiator Beast Bestiari
    Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
    Honest
    Lonefire Blossom
    Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
    Marshmallon
    Mezuki
    Morphing Jar
    Necroface
    Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
    Night Assailant
    Plaguespreader Zombie
    Sangan
    Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
    Formula Synchron
    Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En
    T.G. Hyper Librarian
    Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
    Advanced Ritual Art
    Allure of Darkness
    Black Whirlwind
    Book of Moon
    Burial from a Different Dimension
    Card Destruction
    Charge of the Light Brigade
    Dark Hole
    Emergency Teleport
    Foolish Burial
    Future Fusion
    Gateway of the Six
    Heavy Storm
    Infernity Launcher
    Level Limit - Area B
    Limiter Removal
    Mind Control
    Monster Gate
    Monster Reborn
    One For One
    Pot of Avarice
    Primal Seed
    Reasoning
    Reinforcement of the Army
    Scapegoat
    Shien's Smoke Signal
    Ceasefire
    Magical Explosion
    Mirror Force
    Return from the Different Dimension
    Solemn Judgment
    The Transmigration Prophecy
    Torrential Tribute
    Trap Dustshoot
    Wall of Revealing Light

NEW: Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, Debris Dragon, Lonefire Blossom, Formula Synchron, Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En, T.G. Hyper Librarian, Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, Heavy Storm, Pot of Avarice, Primal Seed, Shien's Smoke Signal

Semi-Limited:
    Archlord Kristya
    Card Trooper
    Destiny Hero - Malicious
    Necro Gardna
    Summoner Monk
    Tragoedia
    Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier
    Chain Strike
    Destiny Draw
    Magical Stone Excavation
    Royal Tribute
    Swords of Revealing Light
    Bottomless Trap Hole
    Call of the Haunted
    Magic Cylinder
    Mind Crush
    Ojama Trio
    Solemn Warning

NEW: Necro Gardna, Summoner Monk, Tragoedia, Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier, Destiny Draw, Swords of Revealing Light, Call Of The Haunted, Mind Crush

No Longer Limited:
    Judgment Dragon
    Spirit Reaper
    Megamorph
    Mystical Space Typhoon
    Overload Fusion
    Gravity Bind
    Icarus Attack

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hahaha oh shit BLS is back? Why would they do that?

Rest of the new restricted cards are p good calls though.

Edit: The XYZ cards make me wanna play so bad.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218