Options

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    In October I weighed in at 260

Now I weigh 200

2-4 miles a day + 2 meals (one being a salad and water) fixed that up rather nicely

now I'm just working on definition with muscles, but I'm going to start cardio again once I get back from vacation on thursday, alongside my usual lifting program

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Diet soda is just liquid chemicals.

so is water.

Ha ha.

Diet soda is liquid poisonous chemicals.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Nice!

Re: food
    Planning out your weeks meals helps a bunch

• Options
    Oghulk wrote:

Now I weigh 200

2-4 miles a day + 2 meals (one being a salad and water) fixed that up rather nicely

now I'm just working on definition with muscles, but I'm going to start cardio again once I get back from vacation on thursday, alongside my usual lifting program

How did you compete with the starving dizziness while working out?

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    skettios wrote:
    Nice!

Re: food
    Planning out your weeks meals helps a bunch

Sho nuff. Also helps keep your grocery bill down.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Planning meals is pretty essential for a lot of reasons really. You'll be amazed at how infrequently you eat out.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

so is water.

Ha ha.

not really

also if you drink enough water you will die

what I'm saying is Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners, unless you're specifically allergic to them, are more than likely completely harmless and will pass right out with your urine. You're more likely to have a severe reaction to the caffiene in diet coke than the sweetener.

• Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

so is water.

Ha ha.

not really

also if you drink enough water you will die

what I'm saying is Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners, unless you're specifically allergic to them, are more than likely completely harmless and will pass right out with your urine. You're more likely to have a severe reaction to the caffiene in diet coke than the sweetener.

This is the truth.

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Oghulk wrote:

Now I weigh 200

How did you compete with the starving dizziness while working out?

I dunno I didnt, I mean I still ate fairly well and I'd run right I got home from school in the hour or so before dinner

roughly an hour every day

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/diet-soda-weight-gain_n_886409.html

Diet Soda, whilst better than normal soda (also known as Liquid Death), is still something you should be avoiding about as hard as Big Macs and large Fries (the Big Mac might ultimately turn out to be the safer option).

• Options
    also water

lots and lots of water

i had a few sprites in the past two weeks, and it's the first time i've actually noticed any sort of weight gain since like april

• Options
    and I mean, i'm still not thin and I've gotten a bit lazy in terms of my weight loss, but I'm going to start back up with cardio alongside lifting come thursday when I get back

I keep saying this cause I need it to be true

• Options
    Docken wrote:

Diet Soda, whilst better than normal soda (also known as Liquid Death), is still something you should be avoiding about as hard as Big Macs and large Fries (the Big Mac might ultimately turn out to be the safer option).

Yeah, those studies are not very convincing at all. Why am I not surprised that HuffPo wrote an article about it?

• Options
    Docken wrote:

do not

ever

ever at all

link the huffpo as support for your argument.

• Options
    that study is a poster child for Correlation v Causation

• Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Docken wrote:

do not

ever

ever at all

link the huffpo as support for your argument.

Also, just don't read HuffPo. You'll be a smarter man for it. Read The Economist or something that is factual.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Don't like my source? How about I do this again for you: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/01/news/la-heb-diet-soda-weight-gain-20110701 and http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat2.asp?newID=3861

The point about the quoted sources is that Diet Soda is like going on Methadone after a heroin addiction... its better, but by no means should one stay on it unless absolutely necessary...

EDIT: I mean... is this even something worth arguing over? Diet Soda is not good for you. Don't drink it.

Docken on
  • Options
    It's still the same study which is still flawed by my reading of it
    The results, which haven’t been published or peer-reviewed,

Also see my Correlation v Causation comment and this supporting grab from one of the articles you posted:
    Note that this doesn’t mean artificially sweetened sodas make you gain weight. As Richard Mattes, a nutrition scientist at Purdue University, points out: Heavy people simply might choose to consume diet drinks more.

And your analogy is a bit over blown don't you think?

• Options
    Docken wrote:
    Don't like my source? How about I do this again for you: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/01/news/la-heb-diet-soda-weight-gain-20110701 and http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat2.asp?newID=3861

The point about the quoted sources is that Diet Soda is like going on Methadone after a heroin addiction... its better, but by no means should one stay on it unless absolutely necessary...

EDIT: I mean... is this even something worth arguing over? Diet Soda is not good for you. Don't drink it.

Diet soda is fine for you. The studies are liberal hippie-ass propaganda bullshit.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    When it comes to soda, I fucking love soda and I'm not giving it up. Deal with it.

Same with Ice Cream. Any eating plan I attempt is going to include ice cream. FACT.

I just drink/eat less of it. Works fine.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It's never so much about what you eat, as much as how much you eat

count calories, limit it to 2k (if you're eating way over that) or even 1.5k, get some running done a day, and that'll help

Oghulk on
  • Options
    What's wrong with Ice Cream? Saturated Fats are fine in moderation. So is sugar!

My issue with Aspartame is that over time there is a body of evidence that suggests that it might not be the best thing for you at any level - true, correlation is not something you should hang your hat on, but the fact is the vast majority of physiological studies end up in confounding variable hell.

That does not mean you should trash the study, it means that you should weigh your options (pun!)... because you're right, fat people might tend to eat more of everything, but if aspartame also makes people less sensitive to sugar (and thus more willing to eat more of it), well then even though it doesn't add more to your waistline directly, it is still something a fat person should avoid because they already have a hard enough time avoiding overeating in the first place.

For someone of your weight #pipe, its probably not an issue though.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I weigh...a lot.

I go to the YMCA three days a week and lift weights and swim, so far I've lost 22 pounds, but I need to do better. I'm getting a bike soon. Very excited about that. Gonna bike everyday until winter hits and see if that helps

• Options
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Pipe I weigh A lot. Though I don't look it.

When I started I weighed 370, I'm now down to about 355ish. I have a good amount of muscle on me, but its surrounded by fat. Need to bike that shit off and hit them weights more. Up to 410 on the bench, thats nice, but I need to have muscles show.

• Options
    #pipe wrote:
    ha ha if only you knew my weight

I am assuming you are less than 10 kilos over your optimal weight...

Am I close?

• Options
    Docken wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    ha ha if only you knew my weight

I am assuming you are less than 10 kilos over your optimal weight...

Am I close?

ha ha

ha ha haaaaaaaa

ha

:cry:

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    My sister-in-law's brother started attending some beginner CrossFit sessions a few months ago and, my goodness, even with just that he's made an amazing transformation from his previous girthful state.

I was under the impression it was targeted towards the hardcore muscleville crowd, but apparently it's extremely accommodating for everyone now. And very effective for weight loss and toning, going by his results.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I drink exclusively diet soda because I never drank regular soda. I drink lots of it though, every day.

You know how much I crave sugar? At all? None. Get out of my mouth sugar, because I hate you.

Everyone else I've ever talked to says the same thing.

You know what makes you crave sugar? Being fat and having no willpower.

Stop it.

Edit: Also Crossfit is an idiot brigade. Join a gym, lift heavy weights.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Aphostile wrote:
    I drink exclusively diet soda because I never drank regular soda. I drink lots of it though, every day.

You know how much I crave sugar? At all? None. Get out of my mouth sugar, because I hate you.

Everyone else I've ever talked to says the same thing.

Stop it.

Edit: Also Crossfit is an idiot brigade. Join a gym, lift heavy weights.

Stop being a cunt.

• Options
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote:
    My sister-in-law's brother started attending some beginner CrossFit sessions a few months ago and, my goodness, even with just that he's made an amazing transformation from his previous girthful state.

I was under the impression it was targeted towards the hardcore muscleville crowd, but apparently it's extremely accommodating for everyone now. And very effective for weight loss and toning, going by his results.

I would look at the gym closely if you're planning to join a CrossFit gym. The quality of the workout depends on the gym, and I've seen some lifting from that place that was so bad that I'm surprise that nobody haven't sue CrossFit yet.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Just clarifying, I'm not joining a CrossFit gym. I've already got my own fitness regime sorted with the gym I'm at.

I was just surprised and rather impressed at how well it was working for others after all the bad feedback I'd heard about it previously.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    After weighing myself at work last Monday and seeing 188 pop up, I decided to limit soda to one a week and bring my lunch to work at least three times a week. I was eating out every day -- pretty much exclusively fast food, costco pizza and costco hotdogs.

I'll do another weigh-in on Friday and see how I'm doing, but that's the heaviest I've ever been, and definitely too much for someone who's 5'8".

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote:

Seems like you give in to the cravings if you have no willpower, but it's not let someone is *letting* themselves crave something.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Re: diet soda

I realize that the studies are inconclusive. But you know what, it seems like when animals consume frankenfood or manufactured chemicals, something goes wrong. So I'm going to go ahead and infer that the same can be said about diet sodas and all the artificial sweeteners. Often when modified food is labelled harmless, it turns out we just haven't been consuming it long enough to see the effects it has on the body.

There's nothing wrong with believing that one should avoid diet soda, especially if you're not trying to push that off on other people. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, people can drink whatever they want.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    I've drank Diet Pepsi since I was a baby. Love the stuff.
    Normal soda will give me a tummy ache if I have more than a can's worth.
    Currently, I drink about 2 cans (24 oz) a day. In high school, I was drinking around 60-70oz a day.

I know that I'm addicted to it, but I'm alright with that.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I've gone completely off soda and juice, it's probably my only success story so far

all I'm drinking now is water and tea

oh and alcohol, but that's kinda rare

• Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Any eating plan I attempt is going to include ice cream. FACT.

I just drink/eat less of it. Works fine.

Yup!
    I've learned from watching others go on diets.. if you forbid yourself from eating something, you're going to want it.

Everything in moderation and all that.
    I had ice cream last night! It was delicious

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    by the way

what is toning, specifically?

This discussion has been closed.