Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Fall of Raam (IC)

PinfeldorfPinfeldorf RealtorSanta ClaritaRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Critical Failures
Welcome, all, to the fun and exciting world of Athas! Here you will encounter lush, tropical jungles, a cornucopia of delicious foodstuffs, and an infinite stock of panacea at all local apothecary shops!

Welcome, all, to Athas! It's hot here, there's a lot of sand, rocks, it's hot, some bad guys, no food, it's hot and last but not least we have Raam. A gangrenous leg attached to a diseased body, with a brave crew of indomitable adventurers who are doing their best at seeking a cure! The lineup is as follows:

Raqib, a Fighter played by OptimusZed.

Hashiq, a Barbarian played by Grog.

Lendara, a Shaman played by Anialos.

Dal, an Ardent played by SanderJK.

Zerris, a Psion played by interrobang.

Samira Bestet, a Sorceress played by Northguard.

At this point, we will assume only the party listed above responded to the call, and as such were the only persons present at the table.

With the last applicant taking his seat after his introduction (or lounging up against the wall, barring sitting), Gaj Gestures widely with open arms. "Please, fill yourselves." He looks to the wall at Raqib, You should eat with your companions. Breaking bread with newfound cohorts is a good way to build camaraderie and trust." White-robed slaves continue scurrying about the room, removing empty plates and replacing them with more plates and bowls of delicious-smelling foods.

Gaj reaches forward and rips a limb off of a cooked animal of some sort or another. It is a dark, rich bronze in color, and juices ooze from the tear. He takes a large bite, chews quickly and swallows. "I will brief you all on the situation. Some months ago, a troupe of taskmasters and slaves returned from our amethyst mine in the Right Gauntlet. They were all covered in dirt and blood, looked as if they hadn't eaten in days, and not a single one of them was without a series of scorch marks across his arms and chest. When questioned about what had happened, there were no coherent responses given; it was all complete gibberish. We understood some words here and there, but nothing even close to helping us make sense of anything. Near a score returned to Raam, and only three survive to this day. They continue their inane rambling whenever they are not asleep, and they eat nothing we attempt to give them. We've seen them huddled in a corner, talking, whispering or shouting to themselves, while picking scarabs and small lizards off the walls and eating them whole.

"Now, how you go about this, I will leave up to you. Know, however, that the mine is not easily found, so finding a guide may be a prudent decision. I wish I knew where to find a sane taskmaster to send with you, but a number of our old slave have been freed and now work in the Low Quarter, many of which continue their trade as stoneworkers."
This is a somewhat surprising thing. Freeing slaves? House M'ke is extraordinarily generous in these times of strife. "You may recognize them by our emblem, which most of them proudly wear emblazoned on their tunics to this day, as a sign of what they have earned." He points to a patch on his left shoulder. On the patch is an image of some strange, white bird flying in front of a dark red circle.

Gaj finishes his haunch of meat, and while still chewing, he says plainly. "For your troubles, and in direct relation to what we can assume is danger, the offer on the table is one half year's wages of a taskmaster for each of you. We will also line you up with whatever trail rations and survival equipment you feel you may need, free of charge. We would appreciate haste and diligence in your pursuit, and will see you safely out of Raam's gates at first light tomorrow. The trip will take the better part of two days, so make sure you rest well, and help yourselves to any and all of the food on the table at your whimsy." With this, Gaj grabs another leg of meat from one of the plates on the table. "Any questions? I have other matters to tend and will be leaving shortly, so keep them brief and pertinent."

If you feel your character's skills pertain to some of the thing hinted at in the briefing, please make your best guess at what skill would be used to glean extra information from such things and roll away! Also, use this opportunity to ask questions to Gaj before he leaves, and he'll do his best to shore up any information you think he has. Once he is gone, feel free to discuss any ideas, get to know eachother, and we will assume you all eat your fill in the meantime.

Pinfeldorf on
«1

Posts

  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    From what Lendara can remember of the desert in the Right Gauntlet, two days is...ambitious. She knows all too well the hazards that delay and destroy those who go unprepared. "With six of us, and possibly a guide...50 days rations to be split amongst us should be reasonable to ensure survival. Too many expeditions have been lost to the overly stingy quartermasters wiles." Lendara lays out a rough piece of parchment and sketches what she can recall of the area. "Two days with quick feet and good weather should get us there. Though the weather is rarely good, and feet are not always quick. One day at the quarry to investigate, then the trip back. I can gather some sustenance from the land if absolutely necessary, but I think it wise to not leave this to chance." Tracing her finger along the route planned and glancing at the more...squishy, of the party members, Lendara turns to Gaj. "Where are these babbling men? I would like to speak with them If I may."

    Nature for trip planning=31 O.o

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Hashiq's heart sank at the thought of returning to the desert so soon. They had only arrived a few days ago and the young speaker would have enjoyed sampling the flavours of the city for a little longer before facing the sands again. But perhaps it was as his brother said, to lose momentum in a windless place such as this would drown his spirit. He consoled himself with the strange tastes placed before him.

    Gaj's mention of the babbling survivors caught the young dervish's attention. To the untrained ear the voice of spirits could indeed sound as gibberish. He was still a novice, however, and would not be able to tell either way, though by the mul's description their babbling could well be the product of madness. Thinking the search for a guide to be more fruitful, he nodded at Gaj's suggestion to visit the low quarter. Maybe he'd have time to explore the place as well...

    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Dal smiles at his new companions, looking them over carefully. Only half of them seem battle hardened and strong, and he doesn't much like venturing into the desert, but free supplies up front, large wages if they succeed, this sounds like a good deal. And several people here seem at home in the desert, which is good because Dal isn't. "First things first friends, it seems we're heading into the Low Quarter to search for a guide. Nothing like the adventure that awaits us outside the walls I imagine, but not the friendliest place in the city by any means. Party of six, we may draw some attention, few like outsiders coming in and asking questions. Be on your guard there. " Dal ponders if there's anything he heard on the street about these freed slaves from House M'Ke as he eats as much of the food as possible. "And yeah, seeing one of these slaves could be good, though from the description we're not going to get much out of them. You said they were covered in blood, but were they wounded?"

    streetwise for Low Quarter : 1d20+9 26



    SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Gaj turns to the elf and smiles, "Ah, yes, I had forgotten. Terribly sorry, not everyone has the unusual hardiness of a Mul. Figure on three days of travel, then, to be safe, and I shall ensure the foodstuffs and supplies necessary for your journey are procured. As for the selected route...I cannot say I would travel that particular path, but you sound as if you have your wits about you in regards to the local geography of the area, probably even moreso than myself. You seem to be a very deductive individual."

    Lendara
    Nature: You know this area very well. You've spent some weeks, perhaps even months, laying the land of the area, and know a few shortcuts and a hidden passage into the heart of the mountain. If you left at daybreak tomorrow, you could make it to the mine by late evening the following day, but you also know that pushing the envelope may not be the wisest decision. Also, an extra night of good rest before arriving at the mine around midday might be the better call for the general health of the party.

    He sweeps his gaze over to Dal. "The slaves are in the infirmary of the slave quarters behind the villa. In charge of the infirmary is a Dwarf by the name of Torix, she should be able to grant you access to the refugees." He closes his eyes for a short number of seconds and exhales deeply before continuing, "As for their condition, there were only minor cuts and bruises found on them as far as anything that could be considered a standard battle wound. It was more the fact that they were riddled with small scorch marks on their arms and chests that concerned us. Their mental wounds are obviously severe, and I am not sure any salves exist that could cure them."

    Dal
    Streetwise:You have heard of a masonry shop in the Low Quarter run by a Half-Giant that supposedly has the best deals on cookware and stone eating utensils. Surely the owner of Parju's Graniteworks would have some information for you regarding where you could find some of his fellow tradesmen bearing this cryptic white bird emblem.

    Pinfeldorf on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    "The sooner we are out of this place the better." Raqib's eyes shift under his cowl before he shoots a meaningful glance a Hashiq. His brothers thoughts were as clear to him as the night sky on the dunes. "If we are to follow leads, let us be following, not sitting."

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    "Hmmm, I think we'd be better of travelling to the Low Quarter while it's still light outside, and we can go see this Torix after. I know of a place named Parju's Graniteworks, the Half-Giant there is supposed to know his way around the stoneworking business."

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    "I agree with the cowled man," says the youth, tilting his head in Raqib's general direction; he'd long since eaten his fill of apples, and had spent the past several minutes watching and listening to his companions, his face a smiling mask of cool, coy impassivity. "Unless you're allowing us the option to negotiate our wages, of course, in which case we may be here for several more hours..." he teases, skewering a plump purple fruit with a pointed claw, peering closely at the viscous blood-red juice that collects around his fingertip.

  • NorthGuardNorthGuard Registered User
    Samira arches an eyebrow. "I believe the compensation offered is adequate to the task set for us, no?". Carefully, she picks some smaller morsels from the table and wraps them gently in cloth before stowing it in her pack. "I should like to spend some time examining the survivors in the infirmary, while they are close at hand. From the sounds of their condition, who is to say they will not be dead by morning?"

  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Zerris flashes a toothy, predatory grin in the sorceress' direction and chomps the delicacy off his digit with a quick snap of his jaw, picking at the space between his front teeth with the tip of his claw-like nail. "I was teasing," he insists, humor in his voice. He clicks his tongue and plucks another fruit from the bowl, rolling it between his fingers. "I know absolutely nothing of medicine or wounds, so I don't imagine I will be any help there." The tiefling glances at Dal, lips pursed. "Sweet-talking a half-giant into telling me things seems more my speed."

    interrobang on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Though his brother's thoughts always seemed so inscrutable, even to the young speaker, he knew Raqib would not enjoy the company of a tiefling and a half-elf. Hashiq lacked the same prejudices and barely concealed his enthusiasm for entering the low quarter as he stood up suddenly. Slapping his palms onto the table a little overloudly he grinned "It is settled then! We four shall search for the once-slaves, while the women speak with the wounded babblers." He crossed his arms and stood back from the table, apparently pleased at his speech.

    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Yes, Hashiq, I believe we shall. If you would be so kind to show us to them?" Lendara smiles at Hashiq then turns to Gaj, one last piece of fruit quickly snatched into her pack as she prepares to go.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Gaj stands from the table, moves the chair out of his way with one hand while wiping his mouth with a napkin with the other hand, "Well, men, I believe this is goodbye. I wish you luck, strength and speed on your task. Ladies, this way, if you would." Gaj gestures for you to follow him. He leads you down a short corridor, makes a turn and you can see an open courtyard ahead. A large clay building is the only structure in the area, which you can only assume is the slaves' quarters. "Torix should be in the first room of the right entrance of the quarters, there." he motions somewhat lazily with a pointed finger. "Tell her I sent you and she should grant you access to what you require. Now, ladies, I will bid you farewell, and please do your best to keep the men in line." he salutes with these final words and briskly walks back the way he led you.

    I didn't want to jump directly into talking to the "victims" as I figured you'd want to pick Torix for some information first.

    Gaj, Zerris and the Dervish brothers make their way to the Low Quarter, and after making some twists and turns and finally finding Parju's Graniteworks, it seems luck would be in your favor. Above the entrance to this medium-sized two-story building is a painting of a red circle with a white bird in the center. Upon entering the shop, you see a number of waist-high tables made of large bones, all with various sizes and shapes of stoneware goods laying atop them. Behind a counter built into the wall you see a half-giant man pumping a bellows into what you can assume is a furnace on the other side of the wall. He notices your arrival and grins widely, "Welcome to Parju's Graniteworks! You'll find no finer utensils, tools or weapons this side of the Tablelands! Please, look around, and if you have any questions or are looking for a specialty item, do not hesitate to ask!" To describe this man as a half-giant does not do him a great justice. He would probably be head and shoulders taller than most half-giants you've met, as he is practically stooping to not have his head graze the 10 foot ceiling above you. His tattooed arms are as thick as Raqib's stomach, and his voice is deep, warm and welcoming. Emblazoned on his leather apron is the same emblem you've seen outside, as well as much dirt of a myriad of colors.

    Pinfeldorf on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Thank you, Gaj. Shall we?" Lendara turns to the robed woman next to her and motions to the large building. "I hope between my spiritual abilities and your magical ones we can get some useful information from these poor souls. Perhaps even help them." Lendara smiles at the thought of helping them.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Raqib casts a disdainful glance around the shop. He and his people had little use for this type of heavy stoneware, preferring instead to carry ceramics. Lighter and easier to transport, harder to get bogged down with.

    "We are not here for you wares," grumbles the dervish, arcing his neck to look the giant in the eyes. "We are looking for information. We have tasked with reclaiming the mine in Right Gauntlet, and it was said that some here might know the nature of the disturbance there."

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • NorthGuardNorthGuard Registered User
    "I know little of the healing arts, sadly..." Samira replies, with a hint of regret. "But if I can assist in any way, I would be glad to." She crosses the courtyard, pausing at the entrance they were directed to. After a moment's hesitation, she enters the room. "Hello?"

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    "What my companions means, dear friend, is that the word on the street is that you are a centerpiece in this business, and that you may be able to suggest us a proper guide, and perhaps supply us with some information on the dealings of House M'Ke in that area?"

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Lendara, Samira:

    You step from the brightness of day into the almost surreal dimness of the infirmary. A nearly bare room greets you, along with an elderly Dwarfen woman sitting on a cushion, intently scouring a book with one hand and writing on a separate sheet of parchment with the other. She quickly glances up for but a moment to get a brief glimpse of who has entered, her eyes quickly darting back to the book she has been studying. Her writing stops at the same time as the finger she was using to trace the page. She slowly raises her head and locks her grey eyes on Samira intently. They widen but briefly, and she flashes a weak smile, "Greetings. How may I be of assistance?" You finally get a good look at her. She is grossly fatigued, and worry lines crisscross her face. This woman is old and obviously incredibly experienced. Her white hair is tied back in a bun, and her robe is a deep pink color, with a white swath crossing from her right shoulder to her left hip.

    Lendara:
    Passive Insight:You've not spent enough time in this city to learn the mannerisms of humans and Dwarfs, but you recognized a look of genuine relief and familiarity for a moment from this woman.

    Samira:
    You've known this woman for a long time. She was in direct employ of your foster parents and is among the very few who know of your true nature and your gifts. She helped you learn to mask your talents as psionic, and you know she cared for you a great deal when you were a younger woman. You were too young to remember why she stopped seeing you, but you know two things for certain: she is quite skilled in arcane magic and none can rival her devotion to the Alliance.

    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Dal, Raqib, Zerris and Hashiq:

    The giant folds his arms in front of him, and his friendly demeanor immediately becomes something more like curiosity, "You seek information, not tools? How ironic, for most would view information as a tool. I trust you'll understand that I - along with most in my position - am a busy man, and will have to work while I answer your questions." He turns to the side and begins pumping the bellows again. The sound of air rushing in and out of the device is loud enough that he has to shout to be heard, "I could point you to many a person who could serve as guide, but there are only two people I would trust to get you there without charging you a nawab's ransom: one is an old friend of mine, Halfling by the name of Ge, the other is our old taskmaster, Human by the name of Flint. You'll find the former hawking his ridiculous masks in the circle market, and the ladder drowning his mind in broy by the bucket load at whatever flophouse has the best deal." He stops pumping the bellows for a moment and wipes sweat off his brow. His eyes narrow in concern, "Now, what is this mess about a disturbance?"

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Dal raises his voice to overcome the many noises in the workshop. "Not that much to know really, and I only know what I've been told, but a troupe from the mine returned to the city some months ago, covered in blood and seemingly insane. Several have died simply from refusing to eat, and communication about what transpired has not been fruitful so far. As far as I know, no effort to visit the site has been made so far, probably due to the recent.... troubles."

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "We have come to see the survivors. Not only to help them, but to see if there is some way they might remember something to help us." Lendara smiles at the old Dwarfen woman. "My healing skills may not be a match for someone as wise as yourself, but perhaps a different method may open the door to recovery." Looking over at Samira, Lendara wonders to herself if she knows the old woman.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • NorthGuardNorthGuard Registered User
    Samira barely catches a gasp in her throat, turning it to a cough. Noticing Leandra's glance, she looks to the elder healer and shrugs."Torix! It's good to see you ..." she gestures to her companion, "... this is Lendara." The young woman's brow crinkles a moment. Concern shows in her eyes when she speaks. ]"It's ... been a long time. You look tired - are you well?"

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Lendara, Samira:
    "Oh, child, it is terrific to see you again after so long. I'm afraid we'll have to catch up later, though, it seems the two of you have more pressing business." The old Dwarf stands and falters, but regains her balance quickly. "Please, follow me, children." She leads you down a short corridor and down a set of stairs that double back after a short landing. It is much cooler down here, and the air hangs thick with an antiseptic pall. She leads you down the narrow corridor, makes a turn and stops abruptly. She points ahead, slightly down the hall. "There are three rooms along the right side of this hallway, each containing one of the survivors. I'm going to have to ask that you permit my observation, as illnesses of the mind are still something of a mystery to me." She pulls a piece of parchment and a quill from behind her sash, as if eager to take notes on the situation.

    You move with her to a point where you can see inside all three rooms simultaneously:

    In the first room, you see a young, probably early 20s, human male huddled into a corner. He is bleeding from the tips of his fingers and there are clean channels streaking down his otherwise grimy face. He wears tattered rags, hanging loosely from his arms and legs but fitting snugly over his chest and shoulders.

    In the second room, you see a slightly older Mul female, standing less than two inches from the corner of the room, her nose almost certainly wedged directly into the corner. She is wearing no clothing at all and is completely hairless with not an inch on her body bare of tattoos. About three dozen tiny welts mar her back, and they range from healing normally to festering openly.

    The third room is chaos. A Mul male paces back and forth, muttering to himself at a volume too low to catch. Upon approaching the ends of his walk, he winds his shoulder back and punches the stone wall with enough force to dislodge small pockets of dust from between the rocks. Scattered throughout the room on the walls and floor are hundreds of small blood splatters, and you can see he is leaving fresh ones with each and every fist he drives into the walls. This man is also hairless, and his arms are covered in the same kinds of wounds you saw on the back of the female. His hands are a wreck of tissue, sinew, blood and bone, almost certainly broken many times over. He seems to not notice the pain.

    Feel free to jump on in to questioning one of them. Note that Torix has made no impression to you that they know anything about what happened, who these people are (other than some of the residents recognizing a handful as slaves, and thus assuming they were all slaves) or anything of the like. Some skills will be applicable here to glean additional information, such as: Insight, Heal, general Intelligence rolls and certain speech skills, based on how you want to use them and how you think it may get you something you want. I will leave that last part up to you to decide how your character would act!

    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Zerris, Raqib, Hashiq and Dal:

    "That is indeed troubling news. It has been some time now since I've been in the mines, and I can assure you, nothing so egregious ever befell on me in my decade of toil. Work was hard, and sometimes people did break, but to go truly insane? And you say this was many folk? Surely the spirits of the earth punish us from time to time for encroaching upon their realm. This could be their work, or even something a bit more sinister. I would be extremely cautious were I you, young men. Carry your wits about you as surely as you carry your weapons, and return safely with good news. Truly, I wish you the best of luck, and if you need any stonework supplies, feel free to return at your whimsy." He presses his hand to his chest and bows deeply. He turns back to the bellows and recommences his work.

    Several options now face you. You can head to the circle market and seek out this Ge character, or you can go about in search of some of the more disreputable areas in an attempt to find Flint. Either way, you're relatively sure a guide is something you'll need to actually find this mine, and certainly will be of some use once you've reached the mine.

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Dal discusses with those of the party present. "With what little we know of these, I'd rather talk to the possible guide that doesn't spend most of his time drinking."

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    "It is possible that the drunkard would be more willing to help us, though. But I agree, we should seek out the trader first."

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Zerris nods his agreement, rolling a balled-up thread between his fingertips. "It is not as if we can't seek out the the drunkard later... I think we should seek out this Ge character first, and work from there."

  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "I don't mind at all Torix. Any insight or knowledge you may be able to share about these poor people would be much appreciated. Now, I think I'll start with what appears to be our most healthy subject." Lendara walks up to the bars of the cell containing the young man and says softly in common. "Excuse me, could you come closer. I'm here to help you." Watching for any reaction, Lendara trys to get a better look at his injuries, and determine if anything natural may be their cause.
    Insight=28 to read his reaction, Heal=24 for his injuries, Nature=13 to determine if they are of natural causes.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    While the half-giant spoke, Hashiq nosed around the shop. Stoneware! His people had never had the means to make nor carry such things, and the young dervish marvelled at the (what he supposed to be) superior craftsmanship. Looking up when Parju stops the bellows, the speaker became thoughtful as the half-elf describes the survivors. "Though I know only the spirits of sand with any intimacy, I believe the earth spirits would be a little more... direct with their retribution. Speaking of spirits, I'd prefer a guide not drowned in them."
    Replacing the stone jar he had been holding, the smile returned to his face.
    "Besides, this trader sounds a much livelier sort."

    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Lendara, Samira:

    As Lendara steps up to the cell and calls to the man, he slowly raises his head. He meets her gaze dead on, seemingly in defiance. His look of ambivalence turns into a sneer as he points one of his fingers at her. "WATCHING WATCHING SEEKING FINDING. ALWAYS WATCHING ALWAYS SEEKING NEVER FINDING, NEVER FINDING. WHY? WHY DO YOU WATCH? WHY SEEK? WILL NEVER FIND, CAN NEVER FIND. ALWAYS ONLY DIGGING, DIGGING, DIGGING. DEEPER, DIGGING, DIGGING, BURYING, NEVER SEEKING. DIGGING WATCHING FINDING DIGGING!" Spittle flies from the young man's mouth as he shouts at Lendara. His other hand begins clawing futilely at the ground, as if he were attempting to dig into the stones.

    Lendara:
    Insight: These are truly the ramblings of the unhinged. There may certainly something to be gained from this man. You're not sure what it means, but it certainly sounds as if they were being tasked to dig for something under great scrutiny, and from your best guess, they were never able to find it. If this was an amethyst mine, certainly they would be finding what they were after, why else be there?

    Heal/Nature: There are small scabs riddled seemingly at random from his forearms up to his shoulders, with scorch marks still present around some of them. Whatever caused this was certainly not natural, and for the scorch marks to remain after such a period of time is truly unusual.

    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Zerris, Raqib, Hashiq and Dal:

    You make your way to the circle market in search of this Ge, and upon walking the area for a few minutes, it appears there is no sign of a halfling hawking masks. Maybe some of the other vendors in the area have an idea on whether he has a shop somewhere else, or maybe he only pitches his wares at certain times of day.

  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "What did they force you to dig for? What did they want you to find?" Lendara looks intensely into the mans eyes, hoping to find some sort of answer as to what happened to him. "Samira, can you take a look at his wounds? They seem to have been cause by some sort of magic that may still linger." Taking a look around his cell, Lendara hopes to see something he may have scribbled or carved into the walls in his dementia.
    Insight=27 again to try and decipher any response she may get. Heal=10 to assist with whatever skill Samira uses to examine the wounds. Perception=19 to take a close look at his cell.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • NorthGuardNorthGuard Registered User
    Samira flinches back as the young man rants, instinctively moving to stand by Torix, before she catches herself. "My apologies." She tenatively steps forward, and looks back and forth between all 3 patients, noting the wound patterns and unusual burn marks. She reaches out with a hand still clear from the bars, her eyes closing as she concentrates. In the back if her mind, she considers the past of the Right Gauntlet.

    Standing back, she speaks in a voice that is both gentle and firm. "Be at peace, slave. You have served well. We are the new overseers - tell us of your progress."
    Arcana=9 examining the wounds, History=14 to recall info on Right Gauntlet, Bluff=16 to try & work with his delusion.

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Dal approaches the nearest vendor that doesn't appear very busy at the moment. "Excuse me, but we were informed there was a halfing hawker of exotic masks on this market, but I seem unable to find him. Have I overlooked him, or is he no longer here?" Dal winks as he makes the obvious joke.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "He must be very short if we haven't seen him yet." As Hashiq stands tip-toed to peer around the market, the others can see that Dal's joke is not the only thing he has stepped in today.

    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Lendara, Samira:

    If the man heard Samira's words, he shows no sign of it. His eyes seem glazed over as he remains seated on the dusty floor, cross legged, and continues his futile digging. Perhaps examining another patient would yield better results?

    Samira:
    Arcana: You get a distinct feeling these wounds are certainly not natural, but they are not necessarily radiating arcane energies, either. One thing you are definitely sure of, thanks to your Storm Magic bond, is that you've come to expect wounds like this from very precise, small lightning strikes. What could cause something like this is a bit out of your knowledge range, however.
    History: As far as what you know of the Right Gauntlet, there is nothing there. Nobody really goes there, nor is it heavily avoided. Truth be told, this was the first you had heard of any mining operations there, but it is no surprise that house M'ke would keep such operations a secret, lest Abalach-Re attempt to stuff her coffers even more.

    Raqib, Hashiq, Dal and Zerris:

    As you approach the bread stand, you notice this man appears to be slightly more well-to-do than the other merchants in the area. You suspect the lack of customers around his stall probably has to do with the ridiculous prices displayed below the baskets of loaves. He raises his face at Dal, peering down his nose at him. "Surely you must be dense to think that I would lower myself to address the questions of Unclean! Get out of my sight, filth!" He spits on the ground near Zerris' foot, apparently aiming this comment specifically at the Tiefling.

    Pinfeldorf on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    "Hmm, seems no more ranting from this fellow, lets try the next one." Moving over to the cell with the middle-aged Mul female in it, Lendara gives her a good look over, along with her cell. "Hello, my name is Lendara, and this is my friend Samira. We are here to help you. Can you tell us what you were looking for?"
    The full battery of tests! Insight=12 to interpret any response. Heal=16 to examine wounds. Nature=15 to see if her wounds are different in nature from the human males. Perception=17 to study tattoos and cell.

    Anialos on
    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • NorthGuardNorthGuard Registered User
    With a sad sigh, Samira steps away from the human's cell and stands with Lendara. Speaking to the naked mul, she tries a different tack. "Is there anything you can recall? Even the smallest detail might help us help you and your fellows."
    Diplomacy=27 for the obvious, and Arcana=17 both on the tattoos, and the wounds (largely to see if they differ from the previous set).

  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Shifting to the side to avoid the projectile, Zerris raises his eyebrows and glances sidelong at Dal. The corner of his mouth twitches upward in a half-smile, and the Tiefling places a thought into his half-elf companion's mind. "You think if I hide behind that pillar, he'll talk?"

    The young psion purses his lips and takes a step forward, his arms slightly extended, palms-up, in the universal gesture for supplication and humbleness. "My friend, we are genuinely sorry for this intrusion. It was never our intention to interrupt you during such bustling business hours," he says, gesturing to the area around them as though it were not deserted. "All my companions are asking for is a moment of your time, and a bit of information... and all I am asking for is one of those delicious-looking boules you have in that basket. I smelled them from the other side of the market and decided I had to have one." Zerris plucks his coinpurse from his belt, loosening the drawstrings. "How much?"

    Diplomacy: 1d20+9 27

    maybe a little indirect bribery to grease the wheels? sander, you're diplomacy trained right? can a homie get a skill assist?

    interrobang on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    I was going to wait for Dal before I posted. What do you guys think?

    Also, is that really a diplomatic thing to say? It seems a bit too sarcastic to be considered genuine, but that roll certainly suggests otherwise!

  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    zerris and i are both kinda operating under the assumption this guy is too much of a yokel to know when he's being talked down to :bz

    interrobang on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, can I still roll an aid another to a roll that's already done? I'll do it anyway, you can disregard the roll if not. Also , DC 10 for Aid Another seems kinda broken.

    See good man, the trade of information as an extra with a sale, how can it hurt you?
    Aid Another Diplomacy: DC 10 (1d20+11=30)

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Lendara, Samira:

    You approach the room with the female in it and begin speaking to her, but she does nothing to show she can hear you

    Lendara:
    Perception: You can see a thin trickle of blood flowing down the woman's visible ear, and as it hits her shoulders you lose track of it. However, at her feet a not-insubstantial puddle of blood is forming. You're not really sure if anyone else has seen this. She would need immediate medical attention should an infection reach her vestibular system!
    Heal/Nature: The wounds appear identical to what you saw on the first subject.

    Samira:
    Arcana: The more you see these wounds, the more certain you are they were caused by an unnatural, pinpoint lightning. The tattoos are most certainly mundane slave markings, as are typical.


    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Zerris, Raqib, Hashiq and Dal:

    The man lowers his head, looks Dal straight in the eye and growls, "Get this filthy street urchin out of my sight immediately or I'll have my slaves get it done for me!"

    So, maybe I described him wrong, but by saying he was "slightly more well-to-do" than the others wasn't really saying the others were all poor schlubs. Also, why would a supposedly completely out-of-touch man be trying to sell completely overpriced bread in the Circle Market?

    I really, really didn't want to take a huge shit on a Diplomacy roll that high, and I hate to do it, but this guy is either extremely prejudiced against Tieflings, or disguised insults aren't really a Diplomacy roll. Call it about six of one and a half dozen of the other in this situation.


  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Quickly! This woman is near death! I beg you, take her to a proper healer immediately." Seeing the blood run from the woman's ears strikes a chord in Lendara. Too much needless death. Perhaps this ones life could be saved?

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.