As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: Excite Truck.... Wii!!!!!

Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So i just picked up Excite Truck finally, due to the UK being insanely slow at actually bringing in some good Wii games, and i must say it's been awesome so far, i've just S graded the entire Bronze cup on my first play, so i kinda hope it gets a bit harder later in the game...

What are the forum guys/gals impressions of the game, and are there any differences between the PAL/US versions of the game?

Also, how do you do the truck spin exactly, i do it like it says on the Tutorial but it seems random to when it actually happens and when it doesn't.

sig.gif
Resident0 on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    just wanted to chime in with the cheapest (afaik) place to get PAL ExciteTruck from -
    ChoicesUK, £26.99

use code 'BEST10' to get 10% off

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It definitely gets harder to get S ranks, and towards the end it can even be a little challenging to score first. The main focus of the game is definitely getting stars though.

The spin is a little hard to pull off, but it's all about timing. You have to tilt the controller in one direction, pause briefly, then tilt it in the other direction and your truck will spin in that direction. To do multiple spins you just repeat the process - the hard part is getting the timing down to minimize the delay, because if you repeat it too early you'll break the chain. It just takes practice, though you really don't need it very often.

Zek on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I love Excite Truck. It's one of the best racers I've ever played. Not many games can make you hold your breath in anticipation through every jump and stunt of the game. It's a fun ride.

That said, once you Unlock and S-Rank everything, it's pretty tough to find much replay value in it. There is the two-player multiplayer race, but that gets old pretty quick. The best thing about Excite Truck is that it shows how awesome Excite Truck 2 will be when it is released with 8-16 person online multiplayer races (oh god oh please god make it happen).

But still, it's a good time. Anyone who doesn't like Excite Truck must hate fun and happiness and kittens.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    That said, once you Unlock and S-Rank everything, it's pretty tough to find much replay value in it.
    Dude. That's at least 20 hrs in, if not more. I'm clocking at least 30~ hours and am nowhere close to opening the mirror mode. If that's low replay value, I'm not really sure what to expect then.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I definitely need to pick this one up, but I need lots of monies first. I used my gift cards to get Rayman and Wario, which are fine, fine investments, but I could still use a nice racer.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's seriously an awesome game i just did a perfect turbo jump, combo'd that jump, did an air spin 720 and landed on another truck for a Super Truck Smash and i was like OMFG!!!!

This game is probably the best use of the Wiimote so far, excluding Wario Ware!

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    all i'm gonna say is, using your own MP3s as background music is fscking brilliant.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    all i'm gonna say is, using your own MP3s as background music is fscking brilliant.
    It's nice, but couldn't the XBox do this inherently with like every game? Seriously, I want to know. I thought I heard that, and I know you can in Madden at least.

I hope Nintendo puts the capability in more games, despite that it somewhat degrades/cheapens the effort put into the original soundtrack.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's nice, but couldn't the XBox do this inherently with like every game? Seriously, I want to know. I thought I heard that, and I know you can in Madden at least.

I hope Nintendo puts the capability in more games, despite that it somewhat degrades/cheapens the effort put into the original soundtrack.
    For the original box it was game-dependent, but you can pipe your own music in every 360 game (via HDD/wireless/usb).

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm grabbing this as soon as it hits $30.

$50 is just too much for any game with my current budget.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I bought this at launch and have really enjoyed it since. It's sort of lacking content, but it's still tons of fun single and multiplayer. I really hope they're working on a sequel.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I bought this at launch and have really enjoyed it since. It's sort of lacking content, but it's still tons of fun single and multiplayer. I really hope they're working on a sequel.

with online multiplayer. dammit Nintendo, i want to love you and give you my money.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just fooled my fiancee with the SD CARD music, i had EMINEM and PLAN B and a load of other sweary rappers on there.

I was racing away and she was like 'OMG is he saying "cunt"? I can't believe Nintendo would let that get away from the censors!!'

And i was like... "Yea well Nintendo are hardcore now..."

Heh...

She still doesn't know.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    That said, once you Unlock and S-Rank everything, it's pretty tough to find much replay value in it.
    Dude. That's at least 20 hrs in, if not more. I'm clocking at least 30~ hours and am nowhere close to opening the mirror mode. If that's low replay value, I'm not really sure what to expect then.
    Well yeah, during the first play-through it takes a while to do everything, which is definitely a good thing. I'm just saying that, once you've gone through and finished everything, there's not much reason to play it anymore. The multiplayer isn't really fleshed out enough to keep coming back to it. That's why I'm hoping for online multiplayer if they have eventually make a sequel. It would be something to keep me coming back after I finish the main game, like I do with Mario Kart DS.

But yeah, you're right. There's more to it than most people think, and if you S-Rank and unlock everything in the game, you'll get more playtime out of it than most games. I really can't complain too much. It's an awesome game.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Resident0 wrote: »
    I just fooled my fiancee with the SD CARD music, i had EMINEM and PLAN B and a load of other sweary rappers on there.

I was racing away and she was like 'OMG is he saying "cunt"? I can't believe Nintendo would let that get away from the censors!!'

And i was like... "Yea well Nintendo are hardcore now..."

Heh...

She still doesn't know.

Good show, sir.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Excite Truck isn't really a great multiplayer game, online or not, because it just doesn't involve much interaction with the other racers. Sure you try to wipe them out for points when you can, but that really only works on the AI. Other than that you're basically just playing independently, racing for stars and hopefully first place. You spend so much time in the air that your rivals couldn't get in your way if they tried.

Zek on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Excite Truck isn't really a great multiplayer game, online or not, because it just doesn't involve much interaction with the other racers. Sure you try to wipe them out for points when you can, but that really only works on the AI. Other than that you're basically just playing independently, racing for stars and hopefully first place. You spend so much time in the air that your rivals couldn't get in your way if they tried.

Not if you land on them.

True story.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

Not if you land on them.

True story.

if there is going to be an ExciteTruck 2, i would hope that if there's online multiplayer it would be much deeper than ExciteTruck's current play.

Mario Kart/Diddy Kong Racing style multiplay with ExciteTruck's racing system and improved graphics = VIRUS VERY YES.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've played Excite truck more than any other game for my Wii. There's also a surprising amount of content in the game, what with three racing modes, a ton of trucks and the challenege mode.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I pretty much accepted that I'm not going to unlock mirror mode. S-ranking super excite is just too hard for me.

bruin on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm waiting to pick this one up. I had to chose between it and Madden and decided to finally update my football game from ESPN2k5. I'm hoping to pick it up slightly cheaper later in the year. I just don't play racing games enough to justify a full $50 purchase.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I dont really like it much. I thought it would be like burnout but its not. Cool control style though.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There always seems to be a big gap between those who enjoyed Excite Truck and those who didn't. After spending a good amount of time with the game, I found it to be hopelessly boring. The game was simple to a fault.

I'm a pretty big fan of the arcade racing genre, but that game just didn't strike it for me. For those who do like the game, I found Motorstorm to be fairly similar but immensely better.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    There always seems to be a big gap between those who enjoyed Excite Truck and those who didn't. After spending a good amount of time with the game, I found it to be hopelessly boring. The game was simple to a fault.

I'm a pretty big fan of the arcade racing genre, but that game just didn't strike it for me. For those who do like the game, I found Motorstorm to be fairly similar but immensely better.
    I can see how some people wouldn't like it.

To me though, the simplicity was what made it so great. It's basically "Here's how you control it, now go have fun. We don't care how you finish as long as you have enough stars. Be creative!" I had a blast just running through the levels and pulling of ridiculous stunts. There was one track where I got 28 tree runs, and another where I pulled off an 1800 spin and then landed on another truck for a super truck smash (Canada on Silver or Gold, I think). I liked the open-ended feeling of reaching your star goal however you felt was most appropriate.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When this hits <$30, I'm picking it up

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh I'll definitely grab the game at $20 .

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Getting first place is pretty much not optional towards the end of the game, unless you're insanely good at getting stars. The difficulty ramping is pretty slow, though some people just don't seem to be able to get the hang of it. Super tree runs are the hardest skill to master and also by far the biggest source of stars when you pull them off(in some levels you can get 50+ at once that way).

I unlocked everything there was(including all the trophies, which is just mindless repetition and unlocks nothing), and if anything the game's biggest fault was that there's too much to do. It takes too long to unlock everything when the amount of actual new content is pretty small. Still, it kept me entertained for the better part of it, it wasn't really until the end that I started dragging my feet.

Zek on
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just bought this today, and I am 3 hours in and loving it.

I think the gameplay mechanics are extremely solid and it is immensely satisfying when you nail multiple maneuvres in a row.

I do sort of agree that in its current iteration it probably wouldn't be that entertaining to play online, purely because of the low amount of interaction with other players. If they could somehow flesh out the terrain morphing/truck launching aspect of the game that could lead to a bit more interaction.

edit: possibly some kind of co-op truck launching mode could be kinda cool :P

Klaymen on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn you all, you've caused me to buy this.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I hope you bought a memory card too. :P

This game is a totally different experience once you get some decent tunes going. My playlist right now is all the Iron Maiden I have (for awesome), The Grey Race by Bad Religion (for Crazy Taxi) and Garbage's first album (for Gran Turismo). What do you all listen to when you play?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

This game is a totally different experience once you get some decent tunes going. My playlist right now is all the Iron Maiden I have (for awesome), The Grey Race by Bad Religion (for Crazy Taxi) and Garbage's first album (for Gran Turismo). What do you all listen to when you play?
    Ridge Racers(1/2) Soundtrack, F-Zero GX soundtrack. And occasionally, the odd Wipeout soundtrack or *shudder....something from Burnout 3/Revenge

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, we have the beginnings of a wish-list for Excite Truck II: Tubular!

1. More stuff; more tracks, more modes, more trucks, maybe more deformations.
    2. Everything to be available in multi-player, plus:
    a. Multiplayer bots
    b. on-line play
    c. co-op/team play
    3. Kittens.
    4. Course designer.

Did I miss anything?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    sequal needs Epona Hidden 'Truck'

LewieP on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Ridge Racers(1/2) Soundtrack, F-Zero GX soundtrack. And occasionally, the odd Wipeout soundtrack or *shudder....something from Burnout 3/Revenge
    The Black Mages, Rez soundtrack, various metal game remixes, and great 80's and 90's music like Just Died in Your Arms and What is Love.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd say weapons but that's probably against hte spirit of the game

maybe like a homing device so it's easier to hit other trucks in the air

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    OK, so I've played ExT some more since I last posted and wow! I am having such a blast! I only have one S-rank to my name (Bronze cup, Scotland) so far, but I don't think that's too bad after only five races...
    For the people who don't like it, I think I can see where you might get frustrated with the controls (I've been trying to play arcade racers this way since I was five, regardless of whether it worked or not, so this is major wish fulfilment) since they're new, but boring? Never!

@LewieP: :-P How would you find her anyway? Super Air into a farm hidden in the middle of one of the tracks?

@DeadlySherpa: Right, good. That one, plus a couple of other "weapons" that you can activate with A perhaps? Like an insta-cool for your turbos...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

a. Multiplayer bots
    b. on-line play
    c. co-op/team play
    3. Kittens.
    4. Course designer.

Did I miss anything?
    One thing I would say is more fantasy inspired tracks. I don't think I would mind hitting a jump and blasting through a few city buildings.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    AlaniasAlanias Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Crap... so is it this game or Sonic? Tough decision, I'm sure I'll get both once one of them comes down in price...

Alanias on
    Animal Crossing City Folk:
    0087-5796-7152 (Jeremy, Heliord)
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

a. Multiplayer bots
    b. on-line play
    c. co-op/team play
    3. Kittens.
    4. Course designer.

Did I miss anything?
    One thing I would say is more fantasy inspired tracks. I don't think I would mind hitting a jump and blasting through a few city buildings.

Agreed on that. I don't think weapons would be any good though. I think it should be all about truck launches/smashes.

I also think some less unco air-tricks would be good. I dunno if I am in the minority here or what, but the with the 360 move, I can never justify risking it due to the fact that half the time I don't get a perfect landing after doing it. It always just seems more beneficial to go for epic long airtime. I think if all 4 directions of the d-pad became 4 types of tricks once you get into the air, that could be easier and make it seem more worthwhile. Possibly some kind of moves that allow you to change your position in the air a little easier, to aid with those death-from-above truck smashes.

Klaymen on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

Not if you land on them.

True story.

I bought Excite Truck on Thursday, started playing on Friday, and it didn't take me long to realise that there was no way I was going to get to my lecture - cue six-hour Wii session in my college's common room :D

My friend is now the reigning champion - he landed on someone just before the finish line to snag victory, and is getting upwards of 50 points of drift every race.

I really need to get to unlocking stuff, but I'm out of town today :(

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]