As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Max Payne] Anyone can buy me a drink - Out now!

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just went out to find copies of 1 & 2, settled for Xbox and PS2 versions respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUwQIn3GrU

PC is the only way to play the first two. They're moddable and probably cheaper.

Jury's still out on which platform the third will be best on, but if Kung Fu Max Payne 3 comes out I'm double-dipping for a PC version that day.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Well, even a bad PC port is generally better than a console version (unless the bad port = crippling bugs).

The platform I get it on will likely depend on what most people are getting. My friends are pretty split between 360 and PC so I've been trying to see what platform PAers will be getting it on.

Are you the magic man?
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm going 360 because my computer is nowhere near up to spec.

ygPIJ.gif
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Same here, even the greatest PC port in history would look and run worse than the console version for me.

Yeah, I guess I should have added the qualifier "If you have a gaming quality PC."

I also kind of don't want to wait until the end of the month when it comes out on the 15th.

Are you the magic man?
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, you'll probably be able to score a sweet deal during the Steam summer sales if you wait a few more weeks. They're in mid-June, right?

They generally start in mid to late June, yeah. I kind of doubt that there'd be anything other than maybe 10 percent off, though, since the game will only have been out for half a month by then.

Are you the magic man?
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    Well I don't have a PC any more, so a pre-order on Steam wasn't a possibility. My laptop (No optical drive, or I would have tracked down PC discs) would certainly handle the prequels, but Steam wanted the better part of £10 for the pair.

How bad can the console versions be, for a simple run-through? I'll be playing 3 on the 360, as well.

Having said that, are both games even worth a full run? What do they clock in at - I'm imagining the 6-10 hour mark for each, no frills, no sidetracking.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I just finished Max Payne 2 again today, took about 5-6 hours if you didn't count all the dying and restarting.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    so whose up for some multiplayer come Friday? Is there a PA Gang in the works already? I'm up for it. On the 360 that is.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    so whose up for some multiplayer come Friday? Is there a PA Gang in the works already? I'm up for it. On the 360 that is.

I think Crews are cross platform since you create/join through rockstar social. I'm down to join a PA one!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I get a nice "Man on Fire" vibe from this game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    THAT is the music I've been waiting for.

ygPIJ.gif
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My thoughts exactly..

And he sounds Noiry!

They should have been advertising this side of the game the entire time.

Where's the PA crew! We need founders status!

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That was a lot better. I kind of miss Max's smoother voice compared to this gruff one.
    Also, if they try to only mention Mona or his wife and kid as cliff notes I will be pissed.

edited May 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    That was a lot better. I kind of miss Max's smoother voice compared to this gruff one.
    Also, if they try to only mention Mona or his wife and kid as cliff notes I will be pissed.

11 years (in-game and out-of-game) will do that to a man's voice.

Also the boozing (in-game, don't know about out-of-game)

Also, c'mon you know there's going to be "MAX'S FAMILY IS DEEEEEEEEEEEEAD" nightmares. It's a Max Payne game, after all.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, you remember his quote at the end of Max Payne 2? (To partly paraphrase)
    Max: "I had a dream. In it my wife was dead, and everything was all right." I guess they're not going with the dead on arrival ending as canon.

Edit: to give that a point, he seemed to recover a little at the end of Max Payne 2, kind of like Niko if you don't kill Darko in GTA4. Perhaps there weren't be as many. The blood platforming was the only weak point of the game.

Kadoken on
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Max: "I had a dream. In it my wife was dead, and everything was all right." I guess they're not going with the dead on arrival ending as canon.

I hope not. I vastly prefer the non-doa ending in Max Payne 2.

ygPIJ.gif
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That launch trailer was perfect. Can't wait. Most anticipated game of the year, pretty much. Diablo 3 will be fun as hell but this is Max motherfucking Payne.

Also, funny how we're getting two third entries within a week of eachother when the last entry in both franchises is over 10 years old.

Heisenberg on
    edited May 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    That launch trailer was perfect. Can't wait. Most anticipated game of the year, pretty much. Diablo 3 will be fun as hell but this is Max motherfucking Payne.

You're only saying that because bald Payne looks like your namesake.

Actually, I read somewhere that James McCaffrey did the face-modeling for Max this goaround. Any confirmation of that, because I'm not seeing the resemblance. Granted, I haven't seen McCaffrey's face since I watched the second season of Rescue Me and got tired of feeling depressed by tv shows, but still...
    Also, funny how we're getting two third entries within a week of eachother when the last entry in both franchises is over 10 years old.

Max Payne 2 was 8 years ago. And now I'm done with the pedantic nitpicking. :)

That said, it's been too damn long since new Payne was in my life. A man can only beat modded MP1&2 so many times (20 apiece) before he wants something new...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ok. So what is the damn release date?

Steam says May 29th, that trailer says the 15th.

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ok. So what is the damn release date?

Steam says May 29th, that trailer says the 15th.

That's the PC release. Console is 15th.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    fffffffffffff

I hate that.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I'm fine with the PC release being delayed. Diablo would have devoured it whole. Now this gives them a chance to get some sales on the PC

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Bought the ps2 original off the store last night, since I'm without a PC or an xbox. And dear lord, the framerate is more jittery than a heroin addict in need of a fix. In the subway level there was an enemy who threw a grenade down some stairs, and I swear the resulting explosion caused the screen to look like a powerpoint presentation.

That said, the core gameplay still holds up. It is exhilarating as ever to run into a room full of shotgun toting mobsters, dive backwards in panic, firing blindly. Then you start doing split second math - okay, two guys to the right, one straight ahead... activate bullet time and let the smile dance across your face.

I remember a friend of mine once referred to the Max Payne series having "the illusion of tactics" - all the intensity of a tactical shooter mixed with the twitchiness of Call of Duty.

The writing is pretty damn good too. Dialogue at least. Every quote on IMDB gave me a tiny braingasm.

This might sound biased because of my avatar, but I just like the series so much.

"One last thing to do. I was compelled to give Vlad his gun back. One bullet at a time."

ygPIJ.gif
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Johnny, good points. The Walter White style is an extremely badass look for Max, but my love for the franchise has been there since the day 1 release of MP1 and endured through the awful film. Honestly, getting the movie right felt like a shoe-in, yet they fucked it up.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »
    I'm fine with the PC release being delayed. Diablo would have devoured it whole. Now this gives them a chance to get some sales on the PC

Like anyone will be able to tear themselves away from D3 by then to play it. :P

steam_sig.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MP2 has actually held up pretty well. MP1, on the other Beretta...

Max's walking makes clopping noises. Like a horse.

And I am already picking out my favorite guns from the IMFDB page. I'm thinking either Dual Deagles like Mona or Dual Smith and Wesson Model Tens.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • hunterspeacockhunterspeacock Registered User regular
    So are the System Requirements for Max Payne 3 still OMFG or have they come down some?

Also is it true that unless you buy MP3 on Steam, it won't use Steamworks?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    MP2 has actually held up pretty well. MP1, on the other Beretta...

Max's walking makes clopping noises. Like a horse.

And I am already picking out my favorite guns from the IMFDB page. I'm thinking either Dual Deagles like Mona or Dual Smith and Wesson Model Tens.

I think MP2 is the better looking and playing game, but I liked MP1's story more. Both are still great though; both are absolutely still worth re/playing. The only aspect of MP1 that shows its age are the visuals, especially the N64-like character models. I was surprised at just how nice MP2 still looks when I played through it last year, though. I might even do so again after I finish MP1 on the iPad.

steam_sig.png
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/347007/max-payne-3-crew-registration-opens/
    Players set on purchasing Max Payne 3 next week are now able to register their crews for the game's gang-based multiplayer.

Max Payne 3 Screenshot
    First you have to register with the Rockstar Games Social Club, and from there you can make a crew in advance of the game's release on May 15.

"Hit the CREW UP button on your profile page and you can browse Featured Crews looking for recruits or invite your mates to join your ranks to blast through Gang Wars and Team Deathmatch together," explains Rockstar.

"All Crew leaders can also designate their squad as a particular type of Crew that best describes their M.O.: All-Stars who consider themselves elite players and strive to hit the upper echelons of the Leaderboards, Soldiers who are in for serious teamwork and killing field success, Rebels out to just kick some ass and make their presence known, Thrill Seekers who prefer mayhem over ranking up and cheevos, and Chatter Boxes for those gregarious socialites of the Social Club we know from official Event chats."

Every player can join up to five crews so don't lose sleep over it - just get involved.

If you have no idea what this is all about, check out this trailer.

So basically now we need to figure out names for the PA crew(s). 'Wang Goodbye', perhaps?

The whole "cross platform" thing is neat. Hopefully there's a separate in-game browser for checking up on crew members and their online availability

ygPIJ.gif
    Wang Unknown? Wang Justice? Wangs and Ladies? Max Wang? Wang Payne? Wangnarok? Wang Circle? Metawang?

• SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    The wangs of fallen angels?

Inner Wang. Wangs and Valkyr, Wangs in Payne. Then someone artistic can make the emblem.

She Has Dyed Her Wang Red (alternately, She Has Dyed Her Hair Wang)

Wangs Are More Fun Than Television

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's the Wang in the butt." "Yeah, Wang to the max!"

A Bit Closer To Wang

ygPIJ.gif