As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MISDIRECTION: my senior film for which I was the Director of Photography

VirumVirum Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Artist's Corner
This finally finished its festival run, so I can post this in public. Please 1080p it if you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YSWNtc4grE&feature=youtu.be
Action scenes suck balls. Did them in the last 15 minutes of the day and .... well, it shows.

Virum on

• Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, can you specify what type of D.O.P.? Camera/Light background? Just so I know what to watch for.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I would say that I was mostly responsible for lighting on this show. Some of the shots are mine, but I would say the director exercised a lot of creative control on composition.

Virum on
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    double post

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    Lighting and production values were great. Movie itself was boring and shot without much creativity. The first 10 minutes was middling but not too bad, but the last 7 was terrible. You did a good job, though.

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    Hey, sorry about the delay. Overall the lighting was pretty good, there are some things I noticed though, I typed as I watched so everything is sequential.

-it might be a bit too red for backstage, it looks like you're using red lighting on red drape

-I think you also need a fill on the kids face backstage, the contrast seems a bit high for the mood. It looks good when the kid is getting yelled at though. But when he's showing him the card tricks then I would go back with the fill again.

-in the restaurant you've got a lot of red in the kitchen again, which looks good against the blue. But I think there's too much red and not enough blue in this scene. With the strength of the red the way it is, you should have some catching the actors at the bar (even just a highlight) The time/space feels a little out of whack with the bare bulb. You could move the guys closer to the kitchen (or change your lens length) and have a reason for the colour.

-Theater looks good, same goes for back stage hallway. I think the Theater could use a back fill, just tungsten, like...

jessica_biel2.jpg

They're on stage and this is the side that's turned away from the crowd.

-Wow you really like your red,eh? Red works in this scene, but I'd try to lay off it a bit, you use it too much and it looses it's touch, it's like eating fudge every day. Red is fudge. You can get away with it in this scene though because you could be using this location as a metaphor for hell ala Mean Streets.

- I would have changed the lighting in the back room for when he's older. Don't really care how, but it should be noticeably different to help show the time gap.

-Your outside stuff looks really good though when he's making the grass heart under the tree it looks like you're bouncing too much light onto his face for where he is in relation to the tree, but that might fall into the cinematography angle of it.

All in all I'd say it was pretty good lighting that would greatly improve by using more fills that are Daylight or Tungsten balanced and on the odd occasion a colour if it's clearly motivated.

I hope this helped, keep making movies!

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback.