Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

Secret Sentry!

Secret SentrySecret Sentry Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Graphic Violence
Greetings citizens! Once every year we all celebrate the wonderful tradition of Christmas, and it's coming again soon! Last year Secret Superman brought gifts to us all around the world, and this year it is I, The Sentry, who will continue this tradition, and I am proud to do so. Anyone who wishes to participate should send me a private message which, with the aid of my animatronic aide CLOC, I will use to randomly select who is to send who presents! CLOC and I will strive to ensure that those in similar areas of the globe give presents to each other, in order to make it easier for all involved. Then, participants should post in this thread what they might like for Christmas and also what they already have.

I look forward to delivering all your gifts, and hope that you all have plenty of great ideas for presents! Excelsior!

Further Rules:
-All participants should declare their willingness to do so by December the 1st, which then gives people a decent amount of time to decide whether they want to enter this year. On December the 1st, CLOC will utilise my Watchtower's advanced chronotech to randomly determine who is sending presents to who, and I will on that date (GMTime) send PMs to everyone with the details including the address to send their gift to. All presents should be sent by the 30th of January at the latest, and when the presents are sent they should post in the thread or PM me in order to make sure I know (or both, if people wish to do so!). As I have said, to make packaging easier CLOC will do his best to try and group people by region, if the numbers allow it.

-Participants should do their best to get up lists of what they might like, don't like or already own by December 1st or as soon after as possible. A good guideline for those with small collections is to post a list of what they have, for those with larger collections perhaps post more what you do not have and would like! That said, I am sure you will all be able to get the idea across. Also people should also make it clear whether they are interested in stuff other than comics like figures, t-shirts, posters and so on. Giftees should try and be inventive, after all Christmas is a great time to get people things they wouldn't otherwise try!

-Gift sizes and contents are tricky things to get an idea of, but in my experience around half a dozen trades is a solid basis, with other gifts like merchandise being swapped in depending on cost. That said, if people feel that is too much, participants should feel free to discuss a commonly agreed on gift size to make sure everyone can participate and is getting a good present.

-If anyone has any further questions, they should feel free to PM me and I will get back to them as soon as possible!

29dzdkp.jpg
Secret Sentry on

• Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    can't trust a drug addict with personal info

ultimates-1.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm in!
    myPony.png

Wildcat on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So this is like the Secret Supermans thing last year, right? I didn't participate then because I was pretty new to the forum, and I guess I still don't post in Graphic Violence that much, but I would like to get on board.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Last year was pretty awesome, I'm in!

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    So this is like the Secret Supermans thing last year, right? I didn't participate then because I was pretty new to the forum, and I guess I still don't post in Graphic Violence that much, but I would like to get on board.

Yeah it's the same as Secret Supermans. The GV one changes the character every year

Anyway, I think this is the first year I'm not going to be doing this in GV. I'm just too broke, and I'm going to do the SE++ one because I haven't done that one since like, 2007.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm in, it's always fun. Although the Void will show up and steal all the gifts, think of the children!

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I'm in this year! Can't wait!

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I'm in.

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    Wow, this is way earlier than I'd expected. Anyway, I'm down.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    For us interested parties are there any "rules" to this? Price limits, only comics, PG rating stuff, maintain the belief in Santa, etc?

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    For us interested parties are there any "rules" to this? Price limits, only comics, PG rating stuff, maintain the belief in Santa, etc?

Only issues of Lady Death.

I have to think about my finances a little, but I'm interested.

huntresssig.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Buy everyone Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in again, can't believe it's here already!

galactussig-1.jpg
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    I had fun last year, wouldn't mind doing it again.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

What happens if I just send money?

Canadian money, the most goofy of all the monies.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yesss, I am so incredibly in. Always have a ton of fun doing this stuff!

What happens if I just send money?

Canadian money, the most goofy of all the monies.

Well, a loonie is like comic book money anyway, isn't it?

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2011
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Once the full rules are posted up, I'll probably be in.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    When are the rules/formal sign ups going to be posted?

• Secret SentrySecret Sentry Registered User regular
    I will post further rules now

29dzdkp.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I should probably post and thus make it clear that I am in!

-Gift sizes and contents are tricky things to get an idea of, but in my experience around half a dozen trades is a solid basis,

Er...what? Half a dozen TPBs is a standard gift size? Maybe I misunderstood. I'm not going to have the cash to buy anybody six TPBs. I thought last year the rough spending limit was the price of a single trade?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i think he meant half a dozen issues or a trade

In previous years, $10 has been used as the minimum gift size. However I contacted my friend Kal-El and he informed me that many sent and received considerably more than that last year. It is difficult to tell, which is why I encourage a discussion of how much people think is reasonable in this thread.

29dzdkp.jpg
    Is there an e-mail address for us to send our mailing addresses to, or should we PM you that information?

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I sent him a PM.

I should think of stuff I want. I haven't exchanged gifts ... for a while.

Crimsondude on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    GIFT GUIDE: There are no explicit rules, save that we shall endeavor to keep to the theme of this forum, and give each other comic book-related presents. It's fine if you want to throw an action figure or a t-shirt into the package, but the core of your present should be a trade paperback, or perhaps a number of singles. I think that it is fair to institute a "$10-minimum" limit on these gifts; a trade will cover that amount, and it makes it more likely that no one comes away with a poor gift.

Be warned: if you sign up, yet choose not to send out a present, we will know you for who you are. You will be barred from Secret Superman events of future years, and you will be shunned as the villain you so clearly are. Do not be that villain.

That's from last year.

That sounds fine to me. Some people can afford to give more, some can't. I'd rather people contributed what they can in this community activity than feel like they can't participate because they can't afford to give someone the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus. Heck, what I often get out of these gift exchanges is an introduction to something I wouldn't have looked at on my own, and that - plus the warm fuzzy feeling I get from swapping presents with our awesome little community - is worth more than the $15 price of a trade.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think that last years guidelines seem reasonable as well.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Like anything else, you don't give expecting to get in return. I simply enjoy giving - if I get a cool trade out of it I wouldn't have normally purchased or read, then that's awesome. Now that I'm older, there aren't too many things I can buy for friends or family that can have the same effect as a $15 TPB to someone who's never read the awesome story and that alone is worth it.

So is there going to be an official signup thread later on?

This the the main thread. It's still a month until the deadline for entering, so there's no hurry. Right now people should just start posting up ideas about what they would like or not like. Like I said, if anyone is interested they should pm to say they are taking part.

29dzdkp.jpg
    This the the main thread. It's still a month until the deadline for entering, so there's no hurry. Right now people should just start posting up ideas about what they would like or not like. Like I said, if anyone is interested they should pm to say they are taking part.

PM with contact onto or just PM?

PM with contact onto or just PM?

Well at some point an address to send things to will be needed, but that's only when I am actually assigning participants to each other, so in the time being just a quick message saying that you are taking part will be fine. Just so I can update the list.

29dzdkp.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I'm so down.

My gift wants? Anything that is strange, obscure, has fantastic art, or is written by Gaiman or Ellis.

Mai-Kero wrote:
    My gift wants? Anything that is strange, obscure, has fantastic art, or is written by Gaiman or Ellis.

So... you want the "Fell" trade paperback, then?

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

So... you want the "Fell" trade paperback, then?

Already have it :(

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Judging from your weekly haul, you have everything.

galactussig-1.jpg
    I'm pretty sure Mai-Kero is actually Diamond given anthropomorphic form.