As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I thought this was going to be a thread on the validity of gaming journalism so I had this all prepared. Really good article though and it would be nice if more critics read it.

Anyway, I go to Game Revolution (which I just linked) for reviews, the Daily Manifesto, and their features. Especially the reviews though as they are very well written and often humorous. The latter is almost always the case when they review a really shitty game. Either that or its just entertaining. 1UP for news and reviews sometimes but it hasn't been the same for me since 1UP Yours disbanded along with a lot of the people there. I tend to scan IGN every so often but I don't like spending much time there. Other then that I just look around in threads in Games and Technology here.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Largely nonsense, as says Morgan Freeman

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Ben Kuchera's name seems to have come up a lot in various contexts lately, I need to look into his stuff.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i had the wisdom and insight to stop reading anything anybody ever says about video games

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Why do people equate reviewers as game journalism? I mean, I wrote about a review section in particular, but video game reviews are not games journalism, they're video game reviews.

Maybe I'm mistaken and everybody is just talking about reviewers in the games journalism thead, but games journalism ain't just reviews.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    pedantry!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i get literally all my game news from here and the steam update page

it works well for me

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    "video game journalism" may involve more than just reviews, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a severe shortage of non-reviews that aren't utter and total garbage

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    also can i please get a video game journalism website that DOES NOT have the dumbest fucking name in the entire god damn universe

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    also can i please get a video game journalism website that DOES NOT have the dumbest fucking name in the entire god damn universe

by what criteria do you define 'not fucking dumb'

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Here, Giantbomb, and thats pretty much it. I sometimes listen to Gamers With Jobs and Weekend Confirmed podcasts for news but then they use the term "as a gamer" and i cannot listen to them for a month. Idle thumbs was the best thing, too bad thats dead.
    AS A GAMER

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    kotaku is like dudes huffing paint behind the gas station

and then you got like, the escapist, which is like dudes conspicuously smoking clove cigarettes in front of the gas station

• Options
    This is a good article about some of the problems with gaming journalism and what critics can do to improve.

That is also the site I go to most often for gaming news and the like. Especially their reviews and features, although their Daily Manifesto section is pretty good too. Other than that I go to 1UP a decent amount. I used to listen to 1UP Yours all the time but their podcasts and the site itself hasn't been the same since it disbanded and a lot of people left. IGN is something I scan every once in awhile for news too, but I don't like to spend more time there than I have to usually. More often than not I just go to Games and Technology here with specific games anymore though.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So the escapist is dead?

• Options

by what criteria do you define 'not fucking dumb'
    not something that sounds unbelievably stupid i guess? i don't know man. "kotaku" or "joystiq" or "giant bomb" just sound asinine and stupid and impossible to take seriously at all.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This game is incredible and get is why it's important beyond being just a game

• Options
    also can people shut the fuck up about ico

that game was pretty but jesus it's been like ten fucking years

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    I used to read kotaku out of sheer boredom

then they pulled that journalistic integrity batman stunt and I stopped

now I just hear things here

I'm still kinda mad that this was the breaking point for a lot of folks.

• Options
    BugBoy wrote:

well there's a line between being bad and outright ruining your game experience

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    I read giantbomb and Gamesradar and Tom Chick's stuff. Dude's crazy sometimes but if you want a reviewer with opinions he's your man.

I used to follow Tom Chick when he was writing for the sy-fy games blog, wonder where he is now.

I mainly follow giantbomb, occasionally reading RPS and still get game informer but mainly only read the cover story.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Kotaku is where I go when I need to know what kind of game related cakes people are making.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i get most of my gaming news from Bluesnews.

i'm old school, son.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    does anyone watch extra credits

why/why not

I keep meaning to check this out, but I've pretty much stopped keeping up with all PA TV and comics since they moved the threads. I just haven't been able to get in the habit of checking the other sub-forum or even the pretty decent content consolidation they've done on the main pages.

• Options
    seanbaby

oldmanmurray

• Options
    the only thing I watch on patv is K&S and the blams

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:
    BugBoy wrote:

well there's a line between being bad and outright ruining your game experience

It was less the spoiler and more the ridiculous justification they came up with

• Options
    yeah, but they had to know that was a thing

they just wanted to tell people to fuck themselves

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I don't think Extra Credits is any good so far.

They try to force too many jokes that just aren't funny and the whole thing seems amateurish and awkward.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Skull Man wrote:
    seanbaby

oldmanmurray

Hold on, I gotta finish checking Daily Radar.

• Options
    hotmail used to just delete all your shit if you didn't login for a few weeks

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Kotaku, since I tend to follow Gawker and Gizmodo a ton. Oh and Game Trailers if you could call that a news site.

Is there any ones that are really better?

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    does anyone watch extra credits

why/why not

I keep meaning to check this out, but I've pretty much stopped keeping up with all PA TV and comics since they moved the threads. I just haven't been able to get in the habit of checking the other sub-forum or even the pretty decent content consolidation they've done on the main pages.

This, exactly. Without that new comic thread for this and that it's been more or less a lost thing. I liked quite a bit of what they had too but eh.

• Options
    Skull Man wrote:
    seanbaby

oldmanmurray

Hold on, I gotta finish checking Daily Radar.

Obligatory:

215070096_psAA4-L-2.jpg

• Options
    Rehab wrote:
    Kotaku is where I go when I need to know what kind of game related cakes people are making that women are best experienced as Japanese living dolls or poorly rendered quick time events.

• Options
    i read kotaku to keep up on the latest japanese idol and chun-li panty figurines

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    wait what was the whole Batman journalistic integrity thing about now

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    This was the death of me ever reading any games journalism for reviews etc:

1. Come to these forums in 2007
    2. See occasional references to Portal in people's posts (eg Now you're thinking with <blank>)
    3. Eventually become curious of what they're talking about, check the Portal thread
    4. Watch trailer and be amazed
    5. Get Orange Box
    6. Discover Half Life 2 and Steam, waaay after everyone else.

It's pretty much been forums & steam specials ever since.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    it is well known I do not trust reviewers of any kind, be it film, music, games, etc., so I do not read game reviews often, if ever. doubly so with articles. with movies you are hard pressed to go into something blind what with trailers and tv spots and tie-ins with food and other products. with games you can easily avoid knowing too much, and I like that.

all I want from a game is fun, and my tastes are all over the place, so I piece together things I hear via word of mouth and decide if I wanna play that game.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    YaYa wrote:

Bruce Wayne has more integrity than 90 percent of gaming journalists.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    kotaku put a batman spoiler in a large, splashy title

when people were annoyed, they said it wasn't a big spoiler, and then that it was their duty as journalists to spoil it, as the idea of not reporting news disturbed them.

It made no sense

This discussion has been closed.