As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MTG: A Tournament

Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
I would have put this in the Magic thread, but this is a little bit different as there is a tournament that is being held between a few friends and others. I would like this thread to basically chronical the tournament and view my progress.

I haven't played magic in years and I am quite out of it. The last edition we saw was the 7th edition. My deck is an Elf deck through and through, no other creatures than elves. So with these new editions out I might have to upgrade my spells and elves. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to include?

I know one is bringing an Goblin deck which is mortal enemy to my elf deck and there seems to be a samurai or some such deck.

Mostly this tournament is bring our decks which are way behind in sets, and buy those tournament packs, any kind, and chose a colour and get the cards. There is mostly Blue, Red, White and Green but I have no information on if anyone will be playing Black.

Since this starts tomorrow, is it wise to go out and buy the current tournament packs to build up my deck or get a couple of the Cheap Green new edition (I believe its on to 9th now?) preconstructed decks and get those cards? We can use any cards from any sets. Any recommendation is fine. I will post my deck list shortly.

Katchem_ash on

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Only 1 tourney pack? If so, get a pack of Onslaught if you can find it. It REALLY enforced the tribal theme and elves were fairly strong (though goblins and zombies were better). If you are looking for single cards, Caller of the Claw is pretty amazing. He's a 2/2 for 2G that can be played as an instant, when he comes into play, put a 2/2 bear into play for each creature put in your graveyard this turn. A nice FU to any WoG effect.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you're playing against friends that are in the same boat as you, there really shouldn't be a problem with your deck. Considering it probably will not be a competitive tourney I can't help you much with as far as what to bring. Just try to get a solid deck that you know how to play well. Don't bother buying the pre-cons, because you will just have to figure out that deck.

9th edition packs are not worth buying. The set is so big that you will rarely get the cards that you want. You're better-off trading for the cards you need or buying singles off the internet.

I was in the same boat as you when I got back into tournament play. The last set I played competitively was the Urza's block. I just started playing again with the release of Time Spiral. Its hard trying to re-learn the game, because you have to figure out what cards are good for particular purposes, new mechanics and new decks.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I haven't played since 7th. I need to dig out my cards. I had a really fun red/blue deck I came up with myself during the sets right before 7th that focused on using the "pay X when discarding to cast the spell as if from hand" mechanism. If I got lucky, I could be dropping four or five cards a turn (and drawing that many, as well).

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alluren/recycle

yeah... have fun

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    joeraujoerau Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wow, didn't even know they still made this game, I'd love to help but last set i purchased anything from was Ice Age, I started at the beginning though. my red direct damage deck rocked pretty hard core back in 1998, probably get the floor moped with me now, had a pretty good green regen deck, buddy had a killer blue deck, and we combined our cards for this wicked white v. black war, heh, serra angels and unkle estivan(sp) levithan, shivan dragons, all the good old stuff.

so with a forked fire ball

good luck

joerau on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    So here is the break down with the tournament. Its seven players, two are friends of a friend and recent players, so they have all the newist cards. We submited a deck colour list in the morning so the breakdown is:

2 Blue Decks
    2 Green Decks
    1 White Deck
    1 Red/Black Deck
    1 White/Red Deck

The 1 Blue deck and 1 Green deck are the new players. What I know of these is that the white one is a total soldier deck with knights and all so its like an Army deck. The Red I assume is a Goblin deck but what black cards he has isn't known to me. The White/Red is the Samuari deck. 1 known blue deck is a instant deck namely he has instants and spells up the wazoo.

The tournament also allows us to buy an unlimited number of Tournament/Pre-Con decks to use before the tournament. I bought one and just got a couple of cards to use not much. 1 Legendary Creature but mostly Sorcery cards. The others I will hold on for trading purposes.

In the Tournament there will be only 2 Tournament Decks per person in the begining and those will be decided by the players.

Since this thing begins tomorrow, I might pick up a Tempest, Ice Age and the newist one to see what I can get. I don't hope for much, but it would be nice to have some good cards.

There are no limits to cards in the deck, only that it has to be no less the 60 but more is fine. My Elf has 135 cards, I know the Soldier deck has 101 and I assume the rest are like that as well. Pretty interesting anyway.

astrobstrd, thanks for the tip. If I can't find those tournament packs, I will try to pick one up from that set.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Heh, so many weenie decks reminds me my red/blue staller. That really was a fun deck against people who tried to spam creatures out really fast. Besides it has glitterfang.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You're lucky that WR deck isnt Boros.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    You're lucky that WR deck isnt Boros.

Well it depends on the person behind the deck, I've played some Boros that made me weep with pitty for the player behind it. But if they know what they're doing, Boros hurts like a son of a bitch.

AcidSerra on