As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic CD - PC, 360, PS3, Android, iOS. Out now - console ver $5, android/iOS ver $2

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I was expecting $10 at the least, and cynically expected $15.

So $5 is a very pleasant surprise.

SteevL on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Yeah, five bucks isn't shabby at all considering the extra stuff going into it.

Yup, considering the true widescreen support, the ability to play as Tails, both soundtracks being in the game, improved animation, ability to switch between Sonic CD and Sonic 2 style spin-dash, and the ability to switch between Sonic 3 style jump physics and Sonic CD style jump physics, this is absolutely the definitive port of the game.

For $5.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Here's the Sonic thread.

Yeah, buyin' dis.

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    So, PC version...when? Where? Anyone have anything solid?

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I was expecting $10 or $15 too since it's not an emulated port. I need to pick up a PSN card soon.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    slightly shameful confession time: the only Sonic game I've completed is Sonic Adventure. I've been killed by metal sonic in StH2 many times though.

Will probably be grabbing this tomorrow. $5 is a definitely-buy price for a quality xbla title.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, are they delaying the PC release as usual?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    This I'm curious about as well. Day one on the PC, whenever that is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    holy shit

this was my favorite 2D sonic game as a kid! i'm buying the hell outta this

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Is $5 the normal price, or is it some kind of introductory sale, to increase later?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    5 bucks is super awesome, but I don't want to play this with a 360 controller...
    Sega should not be giving me this much emotional torment.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sold!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Hey TSR, could you give a brief overview of the difference between CD and 3's jump physics? Does one just give you more air control, or does it effect how to fly off ramps when you jump?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    5 bucks is super awesome, but I don't want to play this with a 360 controller...
    Sega should not be giving me this much emotional torment.

just buy a fightpad, most are shaped like a genesis pad

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    It's out. Downloading now. It's around 300 MB.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    After the success of Generations on Steam, it seems like a no-brainer to do it again with CD.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be coming out on Steam, isn't it? I'll probably buy it there, too. I really want to send Sega a message that I want them to release everything they make on the PC.

Including Sonic Colors and Unleashed. And Daytona USA. Please, Sega?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be coming out on Steam, isn't it? I'll probably buy it there, too. I really want to send Sega a message that I want them to release everything they make on the PC.

Including Sonic Colors and Unleashed. And Daytona USA. Please, Sega?

Apparently it's coming, but at a later point.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    After the success of Generations on Steam, it seems like a no-brainer to do it again with CD.
    Oh, did it do well? Did it sell enough to put the PC Gaming Is Dying And No Profit Ever Comes From It thing to rest?

• Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    I just got the game off of XBLA. I have to say that I really like the menus in this version; just something about them.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    I have to wait for this. Oh god, I might have to get it on PS3 then buy it again on Steam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just played through the first level, got a good future, and smashed the Metal Sonic hologram in the past. Then I did the bonus level. I made sure to switch the soundtrack to the American one, but will eventually do a playthrough with the Japanese soundtrack.

Anyway, it's fantastic. Only one thing weirded me out: the bonus stage. Why? The framerate is so smooth! The original felt like 15 FPS or something. I'll quickly adjust, though. :)

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    is this not out on PS3 yet? :(

i see it in the store, kinda, but i can't actually buy it

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Completed the game and started playing through as Tails. Massively impressed that they actually included a bunch of new sprites for Tails. Good job, Sega.

Little dissapointed you can't play as both Sonic & Tails though, but oh well.

• Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    Thread title is a little misleading, since the Android version isn't being released today but has been pushed back to 2012.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    This is pretty awesome. Go buy it people who haven't yet.

• Options
    Italax wrote:
    Thread title is a little misleading, since the Android version isn't being released today but has been pushed back to 2012.

No, the announcement of a delay was a mistake. It's out today.

• Options
    So where's my PC version then. I needs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    So where's my PC version then. I needs.

Not today.

• Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    Italax wrote:

Oh, sweet. Is it only for tablets?

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    Italax wrote:
    Italax wrote:

Oh, sweet. Is it only for tablets?

Nope, any decent android device will be able to run it. It comes pre-loaded on a few gamestop branded tablets, too, and it'll natively support the gamestop android controller (which will soon be available for other tablets). It also natively supports the Xperia play controller.

• Options
    PentaroPentaro Go go Pentaro! Registered User regular
    I remember played Sonic Cd at my cousin's place so many years ago. Loved the music (European music) but I'm really happy they are relsing the USA music too.
    Will be one of the first games I buy using Steam.

Z8V0f.jpg
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I never had the original so today I was first time I ever played it.

Is it just me or...
    ...is the climax of the Metal Sonic thread a bit disappointing? I always had the impression it was quite a significant thing (of all the metal Sonic designs this seems to be the definitive one) but it's just a boss fight where Robotnik does a 'You've Been Framed' at the end and accidentally lasers the thing to death.

Gone.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Here I was, truly excited to be finally owning a legitimate and proper version of Sonic CD, featuring a smooth framerate, widescreen, and both soundtracks included, ready to toss in the very acceptable asking price...

And then I find out in the demo that they removed the vocals for the JP opening.

This isn't enough to keep me from buying the game, but it is very disappointing that we still have to put up with "Your Language is Silly!" in our games.

It's like Sega simply must do something, anything to keep us from having a 100% experience in anything.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Here I was, truly excited to be finally owning a legitimate and proper version of Sonic CD, featuring a smooth framerate, widescreen, and both soundtracks included, ready to toss in the very acceptable asking price...

And then I find out in the demo that they removed the vocals for the JP opening.

This isn't enough to keep me from buying the game, but it is very disappointing that we still have to put up with "Your Language is Silly!" in our games.

It's like Sega simply must do something, anything to keep us from having a 100% experience in anything.

Is it just an instrumental? I doubt it was done for moon language reasons since the vocals were completely in English. A tiny bit Engrish, maybe, but still English!

That sucks, but I can get over it. Especially for $5.

Edit: Does anyone know whether or not the vocals are in the Japanese Boss Track, Metallic Madness Present, Metallic Madness Bad Future, and the end theme? I can see them removing the sample from the boss music.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    Sega does not approve of toot toot sonic warriors.

spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Yeah, the lack of lyrics for the JP music seems really really odd, seeing as they coughed up the cash for the American soundtrack in the end.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    One of the finest Sonic games for a measly five bucks? Sold. I'm really appreciative of how much smoother everything is, especially the Special Stages. Not even in the Gems Collection could they make that smoother. I'm still sticking with the US soundtrack though; it's what I grew up with, and I'm sticking to my guns. The JP version is a mite too. . . chaotic for my tastes.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh neato, this is only 5 bucks? hmm i wonder if i should get it on XBLA or just wait for the steam version

Never played CD before but I've always heard good things

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hm. I wonder if the entire inspiration behind creating an entirely different soundtrack for the U.S. was embarrassment over a song called "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior?" Weirder things have happened.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293