As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FALL IN! PRESENT. ARMS. [Veterans Day Thanks]

HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud.Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvZbq7AzQ3g

It is with great honor that I am able to post this here. Through out all the times in our lives that we may bicker among ourselves, complain about the quality of life, and even lash out with our anger in misguided frustration, we must always remember that we stand able to do these things, because of the Men and Women who have fallen for us.

Opinions come and go, politicians change, countries grow, but Soldiers stay the same. Defenders of what we hold to be inalienable rights to all living things, defenders of a constitution derived of Men who wished but nothing of equality for all. It is not a message of political ambition or self-righteous exasperation, but an idea that all born unto this earth ARE free to peruse a life of fulfillment and happiness. Sadly, the cost for this has never been short of the lives of those willing to defend it.

To those who are serving:
Remember back to your training, and even before that when you raised your right hand. Remember that understanding of sacrifice and determination, that overwhelming sense of pride. Remember that spark that allowed you to decide your life was worth giving up for the same reasons you joined. I implore you to infuse this feeling back into your day-to-day and especially into your units. The beuacracy of the Military is dreadful if you allow it to be. Remember why.

My heart goes out to you and I thank you for all you do. I thank you for all the time you spend away from your families. I thank you for all the long days, sleepless nights, and the toll your job takes on your body. I love you all with everything I can muster.

To those who have served:
The transition to civilian life is an interesting one. It was much easier in my head. We have been expected to set a standard for what feels like our entire life and as it turns out, the rest of the world doesn't play by the same rules. No one will ever know the true hardships we have faced save for those who have been with us. Do not fret over the confusion and ignorance of the world. We are unique to them, and sometimes uniqueness can be supplemented with fear, anger, and confusion. Never forget your discipline. Never forget our comrades. Walk strong and be proud.

I thank you for all you have done, for what I do not know you've done, and for what you continue to do. You are my brothers and sisters. We are a family of forgotten but not gone. I love you. You are always in my thoughts.

To those who have fallen:
I can not conjure the words to express my gratitude. You gave 100% of yourself and no cost is greater. There is not continue here. No extra coins to be inserted. Please take resolution in knowing that the rest of us are right behind you, screaming your message all the way to the gates of hell. You are loved. You are missed. May you rest in eternal peace.

tomb-unknown-soldier-picture.jpg

Today is Veterans day, we take the time to honor those who serve. To give themselves up to something greater than themselves is not an easy task, and I say while today is the day of rememberance and pleasentries, do not forget them tomorrow.

ORDER. ARMS.
DISMISSED.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
HallowedFaith on

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    veterans are pretty cool

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Supposed to be heavy rain and wind for tomorrow, I wonder what the downtown cenataph turnout will be like.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Today is also the birthday of the Marines.

HOO RAH

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    O>

That's a guy saluting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The Geek wrote:

HOO RAH

(Ooh-rah)

(Also, it was technically yesterday)

(Oh wait, you live on the West Coast so you're right)
    O>

That's a guy saluting.

<O -> (Right arm :P)

Gonna stop correcting people now!
    Happy Veteran's Day, folks.

godmode on
  • Options
    2430t2w.jpg

How come you guys stopped wearing these anyways

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so is this the thread for talking about how awesome our grandfathers are?

because my grandpa

totally rad to the max

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Getting so much free food tomorrow you guys.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    That.. that's probably the best OP I've seen.

Thank you to all our allied servicemen and women. I am and always will be grateful for the good work that you do.

Thank you so much

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    A good chunk of you guys will be playing Skyrim all day today, so when you eventually take a break from the dragonslaughter, here is a list of "freebies" from the community for Veteans and their family.

http://themilitarywallet.com/veterans-day-free-meals-and-discounts/
    I didn't want to put this in the first post for obvious reasons.

I am going to be taking my wife out to lunch today, followed up by a surprise massage (me too! :D) and then were going to catch Immortals. Should be a nice day.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My grandfather was a WWII vet

And a Bataan Death March survivor

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's weird that I have a day

• Options
    Shorty wrote:

Actually I hear that a fair bit from the few vets that I know; a vague sense of unease about being identified for praise. I never really know what to say to that, except I'm genuinely appreciative for your efforts

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

HOO RAH

(Ooh-rah)

O>

That's a guy saluting.

Aw dangit.

Both my grandfathers served, my father's father was in the army corps of engineers in the pacific theater and my mother's father was a radio repairman in the navy, and then an instructor for other radio repairmen. They've both passed away now sadly.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    godmode wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

HOO RAH

(Ooh-rah)

O>

That's a guy saluting.

Aw dangit.

Both my grandfathers served, my father's father was in the army corps of engineers in the pacific theater and my mother's father was a radio repairman in the navy, and then an instructor for other radio repairmen. They've both passed away now sadly.

They're "The greatest generation" for a reason. I have nothing but respect and awe for the past servicemen and women. They went through some real shit back then.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Veterans are rad and I'm proud to be the son of one

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's a lot of people on this forum who do or have served and they all have my thanks. You're all a hell of a lot more braver person than I am.

• Options
    Tef wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

Actually I hear that a fair bit from the few vets that I know; a vague sense of unease about being identified for praise. I never really know what to say to that, except I'm genuinely appreciative for your efforts

the little-known truth of being in the military is that, for the vast majority of soldiers/sailors/airmen, the job is very easy and carries little to no risk of injury

and so when you come home you have all these people congratulating you for having, say, sat on your ass in a concrete cube twelve hours a day for six months

this is not to minimize the work and achievements of those who really were in the shit

I'm just trying to explain why a lot of servicemembers are uncomfortable with this sort of thing

you tend to feel a bit like a fraud, because the image that the public has of the military is very romantic and glorious

and the truth, for many servicemembers, is exactly the opposite

• Options
    Some of you out there may be wondering how to best express your admiration and appreciation tomorrow to those that have served in the military.

It's very simple, really.

HOW TO THANK A VETERAN

1. Approach veteran (walk up to them)
    2. Engage veteran ("Excuse me..." works well)
    3. Extend hand
    4. Look them in the eye
    5. Say "Thank you."
    6. Shake their hand

Virtually everybody I've ever spoken to appreciates this method the most, or mild variations on it. Don't make a big deal, because we didn't serve to have a big deal made about it. We understand we all live in a culture where service is admired, and we appreciate your gratitude, but we appreciate it even more when it's personal and subtle. Feel free to mention that you have a family member who served.

You think what we did was a big deal, most of us don't see it that way.

You'll think this sort of gesture is small, most of us won't see it that way.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Tef wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

On the whole, it's usually a combination of "I really didn't do anything" or "This is my job." Genuine praise is not common and when you're a Troop in public places it becomes quite a frequent thing. It's very contrast to what they are use to dealing with every day so it can catch you off guard. Personally I think "Thank You" or "You're Welcome" feels like an odd way to answer back.

@Shorty in caveat to your statement, all enlisted take huge risks alone. They might not end up in a scene from BF3 or whatever, but once you let go of your civilian life who knows where you will go or what you will end up doing. Americans know this. I attribute it to kind of like when to nice people are trying to figure out who is going to open the door for the other person first, lol.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Tox wrote:
    Some of you out there may be wondering how to best express your admiration and appreciation tomorrow to those that have served in the military.

HOW TO THANK A VETERAN

3. Extend hand
    4. Look them in the eye
    5. Say "Thank you."
    6. Shake their hand

Virtually everybody I've ever spoken to appreciates this method the most, or mild variations on it. Don't make a big deal, because we didn't serve to have a big deal made about it. We understand we all live in a culture where service is admired, and we appreciate your gratitude, but we appreciate it even more when it's personal and subtle. Feel free to mention that you have a family member who served.

I like this :^:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

the little-known truth of being in the military is that, for the vast majority of soldiers/sailors/airmen, the job is very easy and carries little to no risk of injury

and so when you come home you have all these people congratulating you for having, say, sat on your ass in a concrete cube twelve hours a day for six months

this is not to minimize the work and achievements of those who really were in the shit

I'm just trying to explain why a lot of servicemembers are uncomfortable with this sort of thing

you tend to feel a bit like a fraud, because the image that the public has of the military is very romantic and glorious

Regardless of what servicemen may actually do, I gotta give them props for volunteering to be part of an organization that could put them in harm's way.

• Options
    Yep, gotta say when I was in the reserves, waiting for the bus in uniform and having people come up and thank me deffo made me feel like a cunt.

• Options
    Alternately, it's always annoyed me when dudes will wear the uniforms out for a night on the town for the express purpose of getting people to buy dinners/drinks/flight upgrades for them.

It just seems really douchey to me.

• Options
    Tox wrote:

HOW TO THANK A VETERAN

3. Extend hand
    4. Look them in the eye
    5. Say "Thank you."
    6. Shake their hand

this really is all that's needed

nobody worth knowing would be unsatisfied by this

• Options
    I've been out the other side long enough now that I kind of enjoy Veteran's Day. That one and July 4th are two of my favorite holidays.

And I totally agree with godmode that kids who wear their uniforms like that are silly geese.

...unless they're wearing their Dress Blues/Alphas/etc....and wearing them correctly...then it's like, I mean, at least you look sharp, kid.

• Options
    And is an amazingly stupid way to get all fucked up if anyone catches you doing it, in the Canadian military at least.

• Options
    godmode wrote:
    Alternately, it's always annoyed me when dudes will wear the uniforms out for a night on the town for the express purpose of getting people to buy dinners/drinks/flight upgrades for them.

I have a story about this which is HILARIOUS, but it soils the idea behind this thread so I will give it a day or so before I post it.

• Options
    Tox wrote:
    I've been out the other side long enough now that I kind of enjoy Veteran's Day. That one and July 4th are two of my favorite holidays.

And I totally agree with godmode that kids who wear their uniforms like that are silly geese.

...unless they're wearing their Dress Blues/Alphas/etc....and wearing them correctly...then it's like, I mean, at least you look sharp, kid.

Yeah, the blues look sharp. Save them for a special occasion! Wearing them to a wedding or a parade? Classy. Wearing them to a bar hoping to bank on the generosity and patriotism of others? EXACT opposite of classy.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

That makes sense, I can appreciate that there's more uniformed support staff than trigger pullers, but still, there's an inherent risk. I think Tox summed it up the best as to how I'll approach the subject

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    The Geek wrote:

HOO RAH

when I was in A School, our NMT (a sort of drill sergeant) had our unit sing the Marine's song at quarters in the morning (the marine training unit had quarters next to us) on their birthday

and I must say that there were very few moments where I felt any real sense of esprit de corps

but one of them was when we were done singing and the Marine in charge came over and saluted us

• Options
    godmode wrote:

I have a story about this which is HILARIOUS, but it soils the idea behind this thread so I will give it a day or so before I post it.

Yeah, you're right. I'm straying off topic...

Anyway, I miss the military sometimes. I miss my best friends that I served with. And I miss the last Gunny I worked for - easily the best boss I've had in my entire life. And strange as it may sound, sometimes I miss Iraq.

• Options
    godmode wrote:
    Tox wrote:

Yeah, the blues look sharp. Save them for a special occasion! Wearing them to a wedding or a parade? Classy. Wearing them to a bar hoping to bank on the generosity and patriotism of others? EXACT opposite of classy.

Yeah but what if you're wearing them to get laid? After all, you do ship out first thing tomorrow morning.

• Options
    Tox wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Tox wrote:

Yeah but what if you're wearing them to get laid? After all, you do ship out first thing tomorrow morning.

Haha, yeah you have a point there :D

• Options
    edited November 2011
    You know what I miss? Dining Outs. Fuck those were fun. Got my first coin when, while already at my first one, my CSM caught wind that I had no idea what coining was, and instructed me, a lowly PV2, to go ask the Commanding General if I could borrow a coin for the night.

I got so wasted that night, is what I'm saying.

Tox on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote:

HOW TO THANK A VETERAN

3. Extend hand
    4. Look them in the eye
    5. Say "Thank you."
    6. Shake their hand

I want to print this out and plaster it all over the country.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Tox that is some damn good advice.

And now for a story of pure second-hand embarrassment. Not sure how common the phrase is overseas, but here in Australia we sometimes call loose change shrapnel. You can see where I'm going with this. Anyway, a woman walked up to a veteran selling those poppies, and purchased one. Here's how the exchange went.

"Here's $2 for the poppy..."
    "Thank you ma'am."
    "And some extra shrapnel for you."

Yeah.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Dammit, I told myself I wouldn't cry this Veteran's Day. You guys got to me though. So many hugs to my fellow vets and to everyone who has ever shown any of us gratitude. My favorite thing in the world is seeing the sparkle in a WWII vets eye when you give him a crisp proper salute and a firm handshake.