As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Character help in a Pathfinder Game

webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the InternetRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, so my friends are starting up a Pathfinder game and I'm going to be involved. My only table top experience is with D&D 4e.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any good sites or tutorials for character building. I want to min/max to an extent and make sure I have a capable build. Also I want to be able to learn in depth about character builds in general.

Also any general pathfinder tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

Steam ID: Webguy20
Origin ID: Discgolfer27
Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
webguy20 on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The glory about Pathfinder is that it's very hard to make an unworkable character. You will at least do SOMETHING well.

I can't help much for resources, since I basically do everything by hand, but I can give a few build options. Could you give me the starting level for the campaign, and any chargen house rules?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    as far as I know level 1 and no house rules.

• Options
    Hm. So it's "pick a race and class" at this point. That is, whatever you want.

All the classic combinations work (elf rogue, elf wizard, dwarf fighter etc). You'd probably want to start with one of those, since variation within a class is put simply obscene in Pathfinder. Bastard sword-and-board fighter, human or half-orc is a good start; you have enough AC and HP to survive (but then again, level 1), and later on you simply become stupidly good with a Bastard sword. Also, near impossible to kill.

It also branches off into almost anything you can think of, to being a trip-master to someone who just sits there in full plate with a tower shield almost never getting hit.

Just don't forget favored class bonuses, pick a class at first, every time you level in that class (including at first) you get either a free extra hit point or an extra skill point. Both are helpful.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    After posting this I had found a site about building a druid, that looks like a lot of fun, but I'm still open to whatever. It'll be nice trying a new game system.

• Options
    legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    www.d20pfsrd.com
    There are guides for some classes in the custom creations section, namely:
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab

legallytired on
  • Options
    Be warned: druids are complicated as hell. Even I balk at playing them, so many different things to keep track of, especially if you do a lot of wildshaping.

But of course being nigh-invisible lightning artillery (who's gonna look twice at an owl at night in a thunderstorm) can be fun as hell. Work v. reward, I suppose.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    Fighter with the two handed variant from the APG is pretty broken. I mean you will be hitting for 20 or so damage just from your adds around level 4-5. I think I had a +27 to damage with that character by the time we hit seventh level. I'll have to see if I can find my character sheet.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    If you want broken and can stand being lawful good, a broken build is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 8/Eldritch Knight 10. You'll be able to reach 8 level spells, have 4 attacks/round, be able to wear armor (save up for Mithral as it plus Arcane Armor Mastery will reduce spell failure by 30%, letting you wear Full Plate with only a 5% Arcane Failure chance), and your Charisma mod (which you should stack as high as possible for a Sorcerer) will be added to all of your saving throws.

All of that can be done with just the Core book. If other books are allowed, I have other broken builds I can share.

PSN|AspectVoid