As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's the "Ask Professor Chimera" thread! :D

ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyesBad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
It's always fun when some goofy production company takes my videos I sell them and then sets some crappy sound effects over the top of my audio to make it sound more exciting than it really is or uses tricks like "crop and zoom" and adding in shake to make things look more extreme and close up. One thing I have learned when chasing is that on most occasions, unless you have something truly incredible or intense, production companies and news outlets WILL REFUSE to buy your footage no mater how well shot it is.

There have been many times that I have been out in the field chasing and been live with TWC and have had them tell me to get closer so that the footage becomes more exciting. They actively encourage us to really do some gutsy stuff at times or take more chances by getting in closer and closer every year so that we can at least just break even on our chase costs through footage sales. Staying 100% safe is no longer a viable business model and TWC themselves even send in their own camera crews into increasingly dangerous situations every year. That is why when I see TWC blasting storm chasers on a whole for an incident on Nov 7th after a chaser got his vehicle flipped by being a bit too close to one of the tornadoes that day do I get mad at the fact that they blame us the chasers and not take any responsibility in this. The tornado was indirectly involved in flipping the chaser's vehicle and this would not have made it to air except for the fact that TWC was currently taking his feed LIVE and was working with him during this chase.

Here is what TWC's Mike Bettes has to say about chasers and extreme footage....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjxCDv_Yn0c

And here is the backlash they got from the chase community....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z44DGp79mTw

If anything this is almost a case of the kettle calling the pot black. While I am no saint and will not admit to being a perfect chaser who hasn't ever taken risks I do know that when I am out in the field that if I do not get the closest or capture the most intense footage of the day and get it to the news stations first) then I have no chance of making any money from that chase and while I may have more footage to add to my demo reel I will not have been able to recover my costs for that day. I have gotten my self into a few close calls but each time have come out okay and in all my years of chasing I have only had maybe three ultra serious situations where I could have been injured. For privacy reasons I wont post my footage and links to my stuff on here but the few that know me irl on here will back me up on my outlandish claims and what not.

What do you guys think? Is the TWC (and the media at whole) partially or primarily to blame? Am I just acting like a little bitch? Have you had something else similar happen to you in the world of double standards? Let me know as I would love to hear!

Chimera on

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Hi my name is Nick and I grew up a bunch in northern Texas/Southern Oklahoma and we never had a touchdown in our neighborhoods but the lightning storms were fantastic.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    you're a storm-chaser? wow

your cool stock just went up like a thousand percent in my book

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    you're a storm-chaser? wow

your cool stock just went up like a thousand percent in my book

B) That's why all the kids tell me I'm too cool for school.

SEE: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/151021/its-raining-its-pouring-chimera-is-forecasting-the-weather./p1

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Calling the kettle black is like, so racist man.

THINGS I HAVE ACTUALLY HEARD.

• Options
    every time there's a tornado watch I have to look up which is which , because what if I got them confused since last time

every

single time

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Chimera's pretty cool guys, believe me

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tam wrote:

He makes the weather seem interesting. Of course he is cool.

• Options
    Also, my pots are silver and my kettle is read.

So not only is that statement racist it is factually incorrect also.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Well, that explains why you wanted a doodle of you riding a tornado.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    every time there's a tornado watch I have to look up which is which , because what if I got them confused since last time

every

single time

Here is a way to remember what a tornado watch is. A watch means to be on the watch for warnings.

Did you know there is something more serious than a tornado warning? It is called a tornado emergency and is issued as a special weather statement or warning information update. A Tornado Emergency is enhanced wording of tornado warnings used by the National Weather Service (NWS) in the United States during significant tornado occurrences in highly populated areas. Although not a new warning type from the NWS, instead issued in a Severe Weather Statement (or in rare cases, in the initial Tornado Warning), a Tornado Emergency generally means that significant, widespread damage is expected to continue and a high likelihood of numerous fatalities is expected with a large, strong to violent tornado.

With that said, just because there isn't a tornado emergency you shouldn't blow off a tornado warning. Tornado emergencies are only reserved for extra special situations where the strength of a tornado is already determined by the radar and/or chasers on the storm. Most tornadoes, even ones in urban areas that are doing damage and possibly taking lives, will not occur during a tornado emergency. To give you an example of a tornado emergency you can look up the Greensburg, KS EF5 tornado of May 5th, 2007. That was the second tornado emergency. The first one was issued in 1999 during the Moore-Bridge Creek, OK F5 tornado that hit on May 3rd.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Tam wrote:

Chimera
    is a lady
    you cad

• Options
    but what if I'm being warned that I should be on the watch?

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    woahhhh dang chimera

tumblr_ll3z4vJQ8n1qeu4eno1_500.png

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Tam wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Tam wrote:

Chimera
    is a lady
    you cad

Blake: wrong on gender, therefore Viv is actually a man

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Tam wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Tam wrote:

Chimera
    is a lady
    you cad

Don't be silly, women can't be interesting and have opinions.

(Sorry chimera)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Chimera wrote: »

every

single time

Here is a way to remember what a tornado watch is. A watch means to be on the watch for warnings.

Did you know there is something more serious than a tornado warning? It is called a tornado emergency and is issued as a special weather statement or warning information update. A Tornado Emergency is enhanced wording of tornado warnings used by the National Weather Service (NWS) in the United States during significant tornado occurrences in highly populated areas. Although not a new warning type from the NWS, instead issued in a Severe Weather Statement (or in rare cases, in the initial Tornado Warning), a Tornado Emergency generally means that significant, widespread damage is expected to continue and a high likelihood of numerous fatalities is expected with a large, strong to violent tornado.

With that said, just because there isn't a tornado emergency you shouldn't blow off a tornado warning. Tornado emergencies are only reserved for extra special situations where the strength of a tornado is already determined by the radar and/or chasers on the storm. Most tornadoes, even ones in urban areas that are doing damage and possibly taking lives, will not occur during a tornado emergency. To give you an example of a tornado emergency you can look up the Greensburg, KS EF5 tornado of May 5th, 2007. That was the second tornado emergency. The first one was issued in 1999 during the Moore-Bridge Creek, OK F5 tornado that hit on May 3rd.

To give you an example of a powerful EF5 tornado that hit a largely populated area and was under a tornado emergency was the Joplin, MO tornado from this year that killed 159 people. The tornado occurred too quickly for a tornado emergency to be declared while it was on the ground. I was there as this happened.
    Blake T wrote: »
    Tam wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Tam wrote:

Chimera
    is a lady
    you cad

Don't be silly, women can't be interesting and have opinions.

(Sorry chimera)

*Whips you upside the head hard with her tail.*

Chimera on
  • Options
    I assume everyone is just like me until proven otherwise.

See, you all start off cool.

• Options
    How do you feel about

Twister

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    No wait,

How do you feel about twister the movie and twister the game?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    also the dance the twist

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SHUT IT DOWN

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I actually hate Chimera for making me watch a video of that mega douche

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Describe, in single words only, the good things that come into your mind about... your mother.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Describe, in single words only, the good things that come into your mind about... your mother.

Warm, supportive, strong, understanding, brilliant, selfless, powerful, short, fast, whitey, brave, victorious, friendly, beautiful, commanding, smart, leader, historic, impressionable, creative, epic. :D
    I actually hate Chimera for making me watch a video of that mega douche

<3
    #pipe wrote: »
    How do you feel about

Twizzlers

They are awesome. I bite off the ends and use them as a soda straw at for my soft drinks that I get when I go to the movies.
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    also the dance the twist

I can do it a little too well.

Blake T wrote: »
    No wait,

How do you feel about twister the movie and twister the game?

Twister, which is on TNT right now, is the best comedy of all time! :D
    It is incredibly inaccurate in both what storm chasing is really like and how the terminology in the movie is actually used. It was however a bit of a prophecy. While there are no corporate bad guys, chasing as a whole has become very commercial and their are teams and mega amounts of drama in the chasing world now. What was once about public service and common love for mother natures raw power and beauty has become more and more about the fame and money.

Twister the game is great because I dominate it and love to cackle at those who fail and fall hard when playing it.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    twister is not a comedy it is a real portrayal of how tornadoes work and bill paxton and helen hunt are totally dating and dorothy flew because soda cans

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote:

Warm, supportive, strong, understanding, brilliant, selfless, powerful, short, fast, whitey, brave, victorious, friendly, beautiful, commanding, smart, leader, historic, impressionable, creative, epic. :D

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand. Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be by yourself. Who knows? When all of a sudden you look down. You look down and see a tortoise, it's crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Chimera. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. I mean: you're not helping! Why is that, Chimera?

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I got to leave work early today because of a tornado warning here. The weather was kinda cool, but the whole leaving work early and having nothing to do and not getting paid was kinda boring.

True story.

• Options
    twister is not a comedy it is a real portrayal of how tornadoes work and bill paxton and helen hunt are totally dating and dorothy flew because soda cans

I have chased in "the suck zone!" Also I have bad news, there is no such thing as "sisters" and the "cone of silence" does not refer "jumper" tornado, it refers to the area directly above a radar site where the radar can not see. Greenage is really not a sign of anything other than the possibility that there may be hail in a storm. Tornadoes also do not blow things away from them. They pick things up that are light enough to go airborn, and will only loose them when the centrifugal forces exceed the centripetal forces as they rotate around the vortex. The phrase "right turner" refers to the motion of the parent supercell and not the tornado. Hail does not look like ice cubes, and although Dorthy is based of a real probe (TOTO), the notion of those little wireless probes is silly and not really of much if any use. Especially with the ground station, the big cylinder, being destroyed by the tornado. The NSSL does not issue forecasts for the public, the SPC does. The NSSL and SPC also do not ever predict that, "there will be an F5 today." Sniffing the dirt is not a good way to accurately forecast. Tornadoes do not roar like cougars.

Should I go on? :D

• Options
    It was a giant monster movie disguised as a disaster movie.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Chimera wrote:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand. Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be by yourself. Who knows? When all of a sudden you look down. You look down and see a tortoise, it's crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Chimera. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. I mean: you're not helping! Why is that, Chimera?

I am hungry and the fastest way to bake a tortoise in the sun with out the use of fire is by letting the sun cook its belly first? It's kinda like an upside down cake.... I think. Honestly I don't know how those work. Damn it Jim! I'm a meteorologist, not a turtle chef!

• Options
    Chimera wrote:

I have chased in "the suck zone!" Also I have bad news, there is no such thing as "sisters" and the "cone of silence" does not refer "jumper" tornado, it refers to the area directly above a radar site where the radar can not see. Greenage is really not a sign of anything other than the possibility that there may be hail in a storm. Tornadoes also do not blow things away from them. They pick things up that are light enough to go airborn, and will only loose them when the centrifugal forces exceed the centripetal forces as they rotate around the vortex. The phrase "right turner" refers to the motion of the parent supercell and not the tornado. Hail does not look like ice cubes, and although Dorthy is based of a real probe (TOTO), the notion of those little wireless probes is silly and not really of much if any use. Especially with the ground station, the big cylinder, being destroyed by the tornado. The NSSL does not issue forecasts for the public, the SPC does. The NSSL and SPC also do not ever predict that, "there will be an F5 today." Sniffing the dirt is not a good way to accurately forecast. Tornadoes do not roar like cougars.

all

lies

you just jealous that dusty got a sassier booty than you

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    It was a giant monster movie disguised as a disaster movie.

It was a monstrous disaster movie!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    And now it's time for a "Twister Fun Fact!"

The farm where this scene was shot.....

imgtwister3.jpg

...was destroyed by a real tornado on May 10th, 2010. I was there too!

Chimera on
  • Options
    it was a sign from god

that you need to stop besmirching twister

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Chimera wrote:

all

lies

Psssssh, please. He wishes he was mad as I am! He also isn't nearly as sassy nor has as nice a booty as I do.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    So did SOPA pass or

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    So did SOPA pass or

No, not yet.

• Options
    Chimera wrote:
    Chimera wrote:

all

lies

Psssssh, please. He wishes he was mad as I am! He also isn't nearly as sassy nor has as nice a booty as I do.

there is only one way to decide this

a sass-off

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Chimera wrote:
    Chimera wrote:

all

lies

there is only one way to decide this

a sass-off

I posses at least twice as much sass in my tail than he has in his entire body or could ever store inside the barn burner!