As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I didn't realize there is a specific dual wield power attack. Is that like hitting both attack buttons at once?

Yup. It's a little like hitting "Blend."

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So I know that for 1h weapons
    Swords: fastest, smallest damage, perk for crit damage
    Axes: slower, medium damage, perk for bleeding damage
    Maces: slowest, highest damage, perk for ignore armor

Is there a clear best choice? Also, Savage Strike can decap with a mace right? Seems a little weird, but it doesn't specify, so I figure it works or else that'd kinda blow for mace users

All up to preference really. I use swords because I like their meele finishers and the speed is nice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I didn't realize there is a specific dual wield power attack. Is that like hitting both attack buttons at once?

Yeah if you hold down the attack buttons for both left and right hands, you do a flurry attack

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Yep. It's a bit annoying because there's only a standing version. If you're moving in a direction and hit both buttons, you immediately stop. It hits like a damned truck and properly uses your dual wielding talents, but is really damned boring after a while.

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

Yeah if you hold down the attack buttons for both left and right hands, you do a flurry attack

Ahhh interesting. Might have to try that even though right now I'm just using one sword for flavor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It has been a really long time since I've found a named dragon priest. I've only met Morokei and Krosis. I want to kill the rest of those fuckers, but I refuse to look up where they are.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    See now I think I wasted a point on the decap perk when I don't think it works for the dual-wield power attack

what's the console commands to remove and add perks ?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Is there a clear best choice? Also, Savage Strike can decap with a mace right? Seems a little weird, but it doesn't specify, so I figure it works or else that'd kinda blow for mace users

It's really just personal preference more than stats. I prefer the sword because I get to swing it more in battle and it looks cooler.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Werewolves will really shine with a little more work from the mod community. Right now there's no real progression to them, which limits the appeal in an RPG setting.

I keep trolling the mod boards looking for a decent werewolf rework. It's a fun power, but at its current implementation, you give up a lot to use it. I'm not sure they need progression so much as getting rid of the inability to change back at will, and removing the daily aspect of it.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It has been a really long time since I've found a named dragon priest. I've only met Morokei and Krosis. I want to kill the rest of those fuckers, but I refuse to look up where they are.

I accidentally ran into Krosis at lvl 10 after wasting most of my potions on a dragon and that was the longest seven reloads of my life before I finally took the bastard down...

• Options
    If I could invent a Dragon Shout, it would definitely be Aggro Dragon. " Come - At - Me"

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I wonder about Mace decaps, do you like just obliterate their head or something?

You do a 360 spin and knock their head off...though it often falls slowly to the ground like their body (and usually right as my companion LIGHTNING BOLTS the corpse and sends it flying into a wall...hilarity).

• Options
    Mahnmut wrote:
    If I could invent a Dragon Shout, it would definitely be Aggro Dragon. " Come - At - Me"

Seriously! I can't hit those bastards with all the arrows I shoot, and even with the shouts I have I miss. I need a "COME AT ME BRO!" shout.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    Firebolt is cheap and it staggers, which is rather awesome. Incinerate is the "YOU DIE NOW" spell that eats mana for breakfast but drops your target like a rock.
    With enchanting, incinerate and firebolt cost the same amount of mana... 0.

Enchant wins this one I'm afraid.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    dinodynamo wrote:
    Minor complaint...I know it's a fantasy universe, populated with dragons, giants, and a plethora of fictional beings. That aside, the wildlife for the most part looks like creatures similar to the world that you and I are familiar with...even the Deer and Elk. Wait a minute...these creatures labeled as "deer" look and sound suspiciously like our universe's Elk. And the creatures labeled as "elk" look suspiciously like our universe's Moose.

Doesn't detract from the game in anyway, but it made me raise an eyebrow when I noticed it.

I have to admit, this bothered the hell out of me too.

Its like if they renamed 'Horse' to goat and you had mountain horses instead of mountain goats.
    Cats called dogs and dogs called cats.

Generally it doesn't detract, but it made me chuckle and maybe wonder if the people who made this haven't seen actual wildlife before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    REG Rysk wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    I wonder about Mace decaps, do you like just obliterate their head or something?

You do a 360 spin and knock their head off...though it often falls slowly to the ground like their body (and usually right as my companion LIGHTNING BOLTS the corpse and sends it flying into a wall...hilarity).

Awesome. Though the head thing sounds like the problem I had with the two hand axe decap. You kind of trip them into a kneeling position and then lop their head off executioner style, but the issue is that without the head flying it was kind of hard to notice. Where as the two handed sword one you just go all highlander with a huge swipe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:

Seriously! I can't hit those bastards with all the arrows I shoot, and even with the shouts I have I miss. I need a "COME AT ME BRO!" shout.

But you have one.
    Dragonrend has a ridiculous range on it, and you dont have to be particularly accurate with your aim of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:

But you have one.
    Dragonrend has a ridiculous range on it, and you dont have to be particularly accurate with your aim of it.

Is that the name of it? I haven't gotten a shout like that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Only mod I'd really want is "make fuckers stop DODGING ARROWS LIKE NINJAS". Like it's not enough it literally takes a second for my arrow to fly all the way to the moving target, they then sidestep like pros.
    Oh, and maybe something to make dragons' flight less erratic. It really is almost impossible to actually shoot them in the air, by the time my arrow flies that high they've turned three times and are behind me.

Preacher: it's a story shout.

Glal on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:

But you have one.

Aha? Some motivation to push ahead and learn it -- thanks!

• Options
    edited November 2011

It's really just personal preference more than stats. I prefer the sword because I get to swing it more in battle and it looks cooler.

Hmm

Just kind of curious how good the perks were mostly I guess

Ignore armor seems pretty damn nice, whereas bleeding seems not that useful, unless it's a pretty good amount of blood, and crit it nice but random

also who knows if any of it applies to a dual-wield power attack, uggggghhhh

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I will say that with swords I get the crit bonus like one out of every four swings... It's pretty nice.

• Options
    All the weapon perks past a certain level aren't super useful. Armor really only applies to humanoids. Bleeds only on creatures you hit but don't kill shortly there after, and crits while nice aren't really that needed when you get tough enough to murder most enemies in a couple wacks anyway.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:

But you have one.

Main Questline

• Options
    Cabezone wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:

But you have one.

Main Questline

Ahh I haven't really done any of that despite playing for 80+ hours. I'm too busy being a thane to everyone.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    I have a problem with triggering basic kill animations.

I'll get an enemy to the point of kneeling, go for the BIG KILL....and lamely slash at them with my sword, killing them in a not cool manner.

But the odd time in the middle of a back and forth, suddenly my dude will absolutely obliterate a guy with a kill-cam...kill.

So what triggers them? I've tried a few things to trigger them, even a sneak backstab won't do the job (even when target is sleeping)

What gives?

• Options
    Lt. Fragg wrote:
    I have a problem with triggering basic kill animations.

I'll get an enemy to the point of kneeling, go for the BIG KILL....and lamely slash at them with my sword, killing them in a not cool manner.

But the odd time in the middle of a back and forth, suddenly my dude will absolutely obliterate a guy with a kill-cam...kill.

So what triggers them? I've tried a few things to trigger them, even a sneak backstab won't do the job (even when target is sleeping)

What gives?

Kill Cam stuff is normally the last guy alive in the current aggroed group. And throat slitting normally only occurs to an enemy who's already standing. Though I recall one time I did get a kill cam shot of a pull back sword thrust like one time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I only ever seem to get the fancy killcams if I'm not moving when I attack.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    All the weapon perks past a certain level aren't super useful. Armor really only applies to humanoids. Bleeds only on creatures you hit but don't kill shortly there after, and crits while nice aren't really that needed when you get tough enough to murder most enemies in a couple wacks anyway.

Hmm, I figured all enemies would have some form of armor rating that the mace perk would work for. Like surely a mammoth has an armor rating right? Or does it have 0 armor and just a ton of HP?

And when you dual-wield power attack, does each slash of it have a chance to crit with the sword perk?

I need to knowwwww

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Sigh... Ulfric really is a complete douche. I was kinda hoping he was a little more complicated than that. Based on the things he told me, I really though maybe he was kind of young and a bit naive, extremely idealistic and harried and pushed by his court and advisors. The first time you see him talking in Windhelm, he seems exhausted, like his own hope and idealism had completely drained him of his dreams of a free Skyrim, and all his crazy toady and bloodthirsty advisors had pushed him so far that he'd finally given up resisting their influence. Then by the end of it all he is in fact a complete and total dick, doing what he is doing for little more than personal power and a Skyrim full of "true nords" and songs about Ulfric.

From a character perspective it didn't matter; my argonian wanted to kill imperials, he got to kill imperials (who the FUCK executes random people wandering around the woods?!) But from an examination of the narrative, I was disappointed.

The first Ulfric I saw was an interesting character. The one I imagined was an interesting character. I wanted more of that; I wanted the rebellion to implode from within, to see Ulfric and his second-in-command fight it out over the direction of the war. Maybe Ulfric wins; maybe he doesn't. There could have been a coup from within (let's face it, the personalities running the thing were ripe for it). I would have been perfectly fine having no control over the outcome of that particular event. Maybe Ulfric gets stabbed in the back; maybe not. Whatever. Kind of a missed opportunity on the Stormcloak side of things, I thought.

How much of the main story have you done?

Ulfric doesn't feature in the main story line, does he? At least he didn't for me. Actually, no one really did ^^
    In the Main Story where you infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy and steal documents... read the dossier report by the Thalmer on both the Blade contact you have and also Ulfric. That kind of delves into how the Thalmer are handling Ulfric and also his up-front and secondary motivations in the rebellion.

Long story short the Thalmor captured Ulric in the Thalmor/Empire war. They brainwashed him into starting a rebellion when they learned he was the son of a Jarl and, manipulating Nordic tradition knew they could force him to usurping the King of Skyrim and driving a further rift in the Empire. Considering the Nords were a big reason the Empire was able to take back the Imperial City (with both manpower and also raw materials for equipment) this was a huge strategic boon for the Thalmor. However, internally, Ulfric has started deviating from being a puppet of the Thalmor into more of a egomaniac which is a very human reaction to powerlust. I thought Ulfric a shallow xenophobe before I read that. Now I just felt kinda bad for him as he was nothing but a tool in the power-struggle between the Empire and Thalmor.

This is definitely building up for a huge war in ESVI.

The notes I read stated it a bit differently from what you posted.

(Spoiled for a summary of the mess that lead up to the civil war in Skyrim/possible aftermath of it.)
    They didn't brainwash him, or anything like that. They said they had an interrogator "accidentally" leak (possibly) false information to him, that lead to him starting the war in Skyrim. The Thalmor consider him an "agent", but only in the same way a spy might consider someone that had been unknowingly tapped for information as "playing for their side".

I don't think we're ever actually told what the Thalmor told him. But apparently, whatever he was told, it sent Ulfric into such a rage that he stormed back home, challenged the High King to a duel, and plunged the whole country into warfare when the Imperials went "nuh-uh" to his claims of secession. Which in turn started the whole mess with whats-her-name-the-Fair wanting to be High Queen, Tulius and the Empire officially supporting her claim, and every Jarl except for Balgruuf the Greater picking a side and drawing a line in the sand, to the point where most of the Jarls won't even send troops out to their villages to defend them properly from the dragon attacks.

The Thalmor are hoping to use the war in Skyrim as a way to draw off resources against the Imperials for when they resume hostilities against them, a short time from now (This would most likely be DLC/sequel fodder. Cyrodiil and Hammerfell are completely defined in terms of land-mass and High Rock has some structures in it too, I believe.). To that end, they're trying to prolong the war with spies/infiltrators for as long as possible.

They don't want the Imperials to have control over Skyrim, because they could use it as a base for supplying their front-line troops with weapons, or recruits (The latter is unlikely at this point.). And they definitely don't want Ulfric to have it, because

A: That'd mean they'd have a third potential nation wanting to kick their ass (Hammerfell went independent, and pretty much obliterated the Thalmor invasion force sent to take them over. That's why you can find Hammerfell clothing in a few select stores in the game, and you can see their agents in a few locations.) when they start up a war against the Imperials. Which is pretty much a sure-fire way for them to get exterminated.

B: That'd mean that Ulfric was outside of their realm of control. Way outside it. As it is now, they can drag the war on, and both sides will get crushed when the Thalmor show up with a fresh invasion force.

The whole banning of Talos worship and stuff was just the last straw on the camels proverbial back.

Ulfric definitely starts out as a patsy. But he's by no means willing, or even wanting to help the Thalmor. Quite the opposite. Given his distaste for the Imperials and how the Empire has declined, he'd probably send a legion of berserker's to go tear up their homeland, given half the chance.

I think there are some problems with your reading of the situation.
    The war with the Dominion has been over for roughly 25 years when the events in Skyrim takes place. So there has been quite some time during which time Ulric has "proven his worth as an asset" in the Thalmors words. This ends after the Markarth Incident, which the Thalmor just loved since it allowed them to dispatch justicars to Skyrim and started to give off the sparks that would result in the civil war. They are under the impression that they have a hold on Ulric but are aware they can only play that card in extreme circumstances.

The killing of the High King seems to be pretty recent so it is not really relevant to the white-gold concordant but rather is just an extension of Ulfrics powergrab and general assholiness.

Lets not forget, Ulric was under the impression that he had contributed to the fall of the Imperial City so there is no telling what he gave the Thalmor during the five years or so up to the Markarth Incident in order to keep them quiet and happy. Which in turn hangs over his head like the sword of Damocles and probably fuels his notion about this whole civil war business as his only chance is a Skyrim he rules as high king and can just tell the Thalmor to piss off. All in all Ulfric comes across as more than slightly desperate and self-hating when he goes on his little spiels.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my working theory is that certain points in enemy animations make them vulnerable to insta-kills

which is probably assigning order to randomness, but the number of mages and staggered enemies I've scored insta-kills makes me wonder if it's not something like that

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Every time I encounter a dragon, I hope that this time I get some fuckawesome unarmed dragon kill animation.

I have been disappointed every time thus far.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

All up to preference really. I use swords because I like their meele finishers and the speed is nice.

Swords with damage enchants are hands down the best DPS, especially with a dual-enchant. More attacks means more procs.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So if Talos isn't a God, why is my Talosian amulet so much better than every single other diety amulet?

That's what I thought. Stupid priestess is lucky I'm on my nice character right now, or I would have slit her throat on the way out just because stupid offends me.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Swords with damage enchants are hands down the best DPS, especially with a dual-enchant. More attacks means more procs.

How do the enchantments stack up against Elemental Fury because lets face it that thing is just nuts.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Werewolves will really shine with a little more work from the mod community. Right now there's no real progression to them, which limits the appeal in an RPG setting.

I keep trolling the mod boards looking for a decent werewolf rework. It's a fun power, but at its current implementation, you give up a lot to use it. I'm not sure they need progression so much as getting rid of the inability to change back at will, and removing the daily aspect of it.

Vampirism is even worse. I mean you can have fun with the beast form as long as you avoid being seen, and being able to go beast and tear apart everything in your path when needed sounds really neat. Vampires get some useful spells at stage 4, but you can forget about doing quests by that point. Also, most powers still suck.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Hmm, I figured all enemies would have some form of armor rating that the mace perk would work for. Like surely a mammoth has an armor rating right? Or does it have 0 armor and just a ton of HP?

And when you dual-wield power attack, does each slash of it have a chance to crit with the sword perk?

I need to knowwwww

Mammoths and dragons most decidedly do have some sort of defense. When I use the Marked for Death shout on them it makes an incredible difference.

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Every time I encounter a dragon, I hope that this time I get some fuckawesome unarmed dragon kill animation.

I have been disappointed every time thus far.

I've killed more than 10 dragons, and I've only had the kill animation proc twice. Not that the fights haven't been epic every single time, but the lack of a good finisher can seem anticlimatic at points.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Anyway, I still have this problem on my Thief: my One-handed skill is displayed in my stats as red, and 30 points below what it should normally be. There is nothing in my active effects list that would explain the sudden drop.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'm behind a bit, so it's probably already answered. I had this happen with Archery early on in the game, and the solution was to skill it up one more time and it will go away. You won't be penalized while using it though it is in Red.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

Hmm

Just kind of curious how good the perks were mostly I guess

Ignore armor seems pretty damn nice, whereas bleeding seems not that useful, unless it's a pretty good amount of blood, and crit it nice but random

also who knows if any of it applies to a dual-wield power attack, uggggghhhh

It's been said MULTIPLE times that it absolutely does. Not sure how you're missing that...

This discussion has been closed.