Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

2011: A Year in Review

1235710

Posts

  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Some of you have had a real bullshit year. What I do with bullshit events is I burry them, stay on the now because that's all we have any influence over anyways.

  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    Meiz wrote: »
    Some of you have had a real bullshit year. What I do with bullshit events is I burry them, stay on the now because that's all we have any influence over anyways.

    but what if your bullshit takes seed and grows into a bountiful bullshit crop?

    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    End wrote:
    Meiz wrote: »
    Some of you have had a real bullshit year. What I do with bullshit events is I burry them, stay on the now because that's all we have any influence over anyways.

    but what if your bullshit takes seed and grows into a bountiful bullshit crop?

    Get a flamethrower, burn the crop, pike a beast, roast the beast, get some beer and have friends over.

  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    Raise em high and give em hell stale

    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • ducknerdducknerd Registered User regular
    January: Friends, drugs, leave it all for school again.
    February: Weird motivation shit going on. Classes are awesome, but I can't write. Seriously can't write more than two paragraphs at a stretch--I lock up and can't write another word. Lots of procrastination to avoid this fact. Really starting to doubt the whole liberal arts college thing.
    March: Start seeing academic counselors. Helps a little. Spring break in Portland! Old dying long-distance relationship ends.
    April: Getting better. Bust out my work, bring my grades up. Starting to form real relationships at school.
    May: Finish the semester with As and Bs and a final paper I'm still proud of. Return on the highest note of the year, immediately start exercising and get the farm job again.
    June: The farm is exhausting, dull, and dirty, but getting easier. It's a good job and I'm very lucky to have it.
    July: Haze of partying. Stupid.
    August: Quit job a couple weeks early to get wisdom teeth out, recovery isn't too bad but is very slow. During two weeks more or less housebound, exactly two of my friends even return my calls. Once mobile and off vicodin, I spend the rest of the summer in the public library preparing for the next semester.
    September: Massive flooding in the area of my school hours before I'm scheduled to fly out. Decide to GTFO anyway. Minor odyssey traveling with crazy evangelical relatives through ruined southern Vermont. Get to campus, start with a lot of energy. First semester with tutorials, studying philosophy of technology and political theory.
    October: New leaf. Classes are exciting, writing is getting easier, start really building bridges at school. Start a casual relationship with a friend.
    November: Relationship stays stable to everyone's surprise. Get alcohol poisoning basically at random, almost get dangerously dehydrated, but friends pull me through with no hospital trip needed.
    December: About to finish this semester, incredibly excited about the next.
    It's been an incredibly educational year, with relatively little pain for the learning. Very little of it was fun at the time, but the other posts here have me thoroughly humbled. Pretty freaked out about what's coming after graduation, but I have my health, a stronger bullshit detector, and satisfying studies.

    also fuck cancer jesus christ

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I believe, like Batman, that Stale is simply to stubborn to ever die.

    He'll out-live Superman in this way.

    2mw6ukw.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    It seems everyone has had awful years :(

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Ehh, mine's been OK.

    Spent the first half getting horribly out of shape, and the second half trying to get back in shape. Why does getting in shape have to be so much harder and time consuming? :(

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    January-June was me blowing things off because I was so ready to get out of here for the Navy.
    June was great, got my ass beat around in boot camp and felt like I was actually doing something
    July I found out I had cancer and spent the month stuck in a barracks for washouts while they fucked up my paperwork
    August I found out I DON'T have cancer
    September was spent moping
    October I got a job and had surgery
    this month I've been working and it feels nice to be doing things

    25Mj5br.png
  • WietWiet Registered User regular
    My year has been pretty uneventful so far. My internship was nice but ended on a sour note. Highlights have definitely been me getting out of my shell and meeting up with various internet people, including this year's Britpax.

    XStly.jpg
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Kentucky-fried Christ, Stale, best of luck to ya.

  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Dirty-Souf '12 will be legendary. I will see to that.

    easysig2.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    My year has been pretty uneventful so far. My internship was nice but ended on a sour note. Highlights have definitely been me getting out of my shell and meeting up with various internet people, including this year's Britpax.

    <3

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    It seems everyone has had awful years :(

    Mine was pretty good, but I am generally an optimist.

    2mw6ukw.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Dirty-Souf '12 will be legendary. I will see to that.

    Oh man, you're doing it again this year?

    2mw6ukw.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Now I'm tempted to buy one of those shirts and take a beefcake picture just for you Rolo.

    Do it.

    DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEET.

    2cf4m6f.gif
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    It seems everyone has had awful years :(

    Mine was pretty good, but I am generally an optimist.

    Good! I like your moxie, Zonugal.

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    My year has been pretty uneventful so far. My internship was nice but ended on a sour note. Highlights have definitely been me getting out of my shell and meeting up with various internet people, including this year's Britpax.

    Meeting PAers is always a highlight! I am sad that it doesn't happen more often

    Also, we all got you addicted to tea. Definitely a win!

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    Dirty-Souf '12 will be legendary. I will see to that.

    Oh man, you're doing it again this year?

    Nothing will prevent Dirty-Souf from happening every year. Even if I'm not around, others will carry on.

    easysig2.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Though, I'm not sure we'll do it over spring break again.


    Might need to wait until June-July. Though that makes getting enough oysters a challenge.

    easysig2.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    And Ziplock will just need to fly 24 hours back to America, God Dammit.

    easysig2.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    this year i have mostly been unemployed

  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    this year I learned that I am never moving in with someone ever again because that is what kills relationships

    ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
  • WietWiet Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    Wiet wrote:
    My year has been pretty uneventful so far. My internship was nice but ended on a sour note. Highlights have definitely been me getting out of my shell and meeting up with various internet people, including this year's Britpax.

    Meeting PAers is always a highlight! I am sad that it doesn't happen more often

    Also, we all got you addicted to tea. Definitely a win!

    I'll probably see if there's interest in another Europax somewhere in the new year. I'd love to meet up with you guys earlier but that's probably too short notice to arrange anything.

    XStly.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    And Ziplock will just need to fly 24 hours back to America, God Dammit.

    Alternately we could do Dirty Souf Asian Edition

    Because I still don't believe the chicken rice was meh

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i think like the only good part of this year was meeting my ex (sob) at the end of october

    the relationship ended last week but damn it was nice while it lasted

  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    And Ziplock will just need to fly 24 hours back to America, God Dammit.

    Alternately we could do Dirty Souf Asian Edition

    Because I still don't believe the chicken rice was meh

    I like the way this broad thinks

    easysig2.jpg
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Beasteh wrote:
    i think like the only good part of this year was meeting my ex (sob) at the end of october

    the relationship ended last week but damn it was nice while it lasted

    Dang was that you and Korlat?
    My condolences.

    Personface on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Moved into my own home (well rented but whatever) in June of this year

    I'd probably be happier about that if it hadn't taken about eight years too long :|

    Kadith wrote: »
    how do i get off [the bus], do i just start screaming
    well that'll get me off at least.
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Usagi wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    And Ziplock will just need to fly 24 hours back to America, God Dammit.

    Alternately we could do Dirty Souf Asian Edition

    Because I still don't believe the chicken rice was meh

    I like the way this broad thinks

    I like the motorcycle tour idea too

    Chubby white girl on a scooter, totally not gonna stick out at aaaaallllll

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Personface wrote:
    Beasteh wrote:
    i think like the only good part of this year was meeting my ex (sob) at the end of october

    the relationship ended last week but damn it was nice while it lasted

    Dang was that you and Korlat?
    My condolences.

    yeah i am still pretty much reeling from how suddenly it ended

    things were perfect and then i got dropped (i understand the reasons but i miss her terribly)

    she lives where i grew up, her daughter and cat liked me too

    it is just a massive kick in the ass

  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    Usagi wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    And Ziplock will just need to fly 24 hours back to America, God Dammit.

    Alternately we could do Dirty Souf Asian Edition

    Because I still don't believe the chicken rice was meh

    I like the way this broad thinks

    I like the motorcycle tour idea too

    Chubby white girl on a scooter, totally not gonna stick out at aaaaallllll

    I would ride in your sidecar anytime darling

    easysig2.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Just stick Dru on the scooter next to you.

    Then people will be attracted by the sight of what they believe to be an animated corpse.

    Romanian My Escutcheon on
    2cf4m6f.gif
  • pablo_pricepablo_price Registered User regular
    2011 recap:
    january: income<expenses for about 5 months at this point, father threatens to disown me for not keeping up on loans he co-signed on. end up selling car that was 2/3 paid off to keep afloat. begin taking bus to work. (bus ride takes ~2 hours each way)
    get the flu (or something similar): feel like dying for 2 days, feel terrible for 2 weeks after. work through all of it.
    february: injure wrist at work (damage to the tendon, never medically attended to) can't use dominant hand at all for a couple weeks, took ~6 months to heal completely, still has slight issues.
    march-aug: typical state of depression worsened by mind-numbing 4 hour commute/terrible work environment.
    july: take 4 day vacation to washington dc. it was pretty cool. then,
    one week later: iphone stolen. only internet access now involves taking 10 yr old laptop to open access points.
    september: after nearly having a breakdown over labor day weekend, quit job. (lose ~3k in stock options that would have matured in nov + health insurance (not that I was using it anyway))
    break lease on apartment ($2500) to move back in with parents.
    sept-now: completely miserable. "town" is a 15 min drive away, 10-15 more to get to a city. I have no vehicle, so I have to find a 3rd shift job so I can use my mother's until I can afford a new one.

    best year ever

  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    between the sasquatch and the skeleton, pretty sure I'm the corpse.

    easysig2.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    It seems everyone has had awful years :(

    Mine was pretty good, but I am generally an optimist.

    Good! I like your moxie, Zonugal.

    Kingly acknowledged!

    2mw6ukw.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    January-February: Continue the last year's status quo of surviving on a combination of scraps of freelance writer work and my roommate being nice enough to cover my ass.

    March: Get a long-term contract with a major company. I can make $70/hr and work as many or few hours when I want, as I want.

    April-September: Barely make enough to pay my bills unaided because I'm a lazy fuck. Talk a lot about moving to Seattle but never manage to save any money up.

    October: Say fuck it and move to Seattle anyway because I work best under pressure. That major/only client I've been working for decides shortly after I've made all the arrangements that they need to upgrade their systems. I will make no money at all for a month or three, who knows. Fuck it, I can scrape by.

    November: Scrape by through loans from friends, selling the car I left behind, dumb luck (work starts back up unexpectedly early). Find out there isn't a single fucking mental health clinic taking uninsured patients in Seattle, so now I've been off my bipolar medication for like 3 weeks. Finally got an appointment...for April. I got pretty bad but I seem to be settling into moderately useless. I'll be able to continue scraping by despite much higher bills, so whatever. Maybe if I call the local crisis hotline they can get me in earlier (clinic that scheduled me told me to do this but I'm afraid I'm not enough of a crisis and I'll just be wasting someone's time).

    December?: Presumably, get by. Get better. Start enjoying the fact that I'm out of Buttfuck, Tennessee, and living in the city I've wanted to move to for the last two years.


    Overall, despite the rough bits, this has been a good year for me. Things are looking up even if I am depressed and struggling to work/enjoy myself a lot of the time, because I know it's temporary. I've learned lessons about saving money and not being retarded.

    (Those lessons being that I should save money and not be retarded)

  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    Usagi wrote: »
    Stale wrote:
    And Ziplock will just need to fly 24 hours back to America, God Dammit.

    Alternately we could do Dirty Souf Asian Edition

    Because I still don't believe the chicken rice was meh

    I like the way this broad thinks

    I like the motorcycle tour idea too

    Chubby white girl on a scooter, totally not gonna stick out at aaaaallllll

    I would ride in your sidecar anytime darling

    !!!!
    Can I have a turn in the sidecar??

  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    this year I learned that I am never moving in with someone ever again because that is what kills relationships

    aw.
    Gotta be careful with it.
    Just like with friends, some of them don't make the best roomies. Friendships are ruined regularly by trying to live together.

    Also, learning to live with someone who isn't family = valuable skill

  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    between the sasquatch and the skeleton, pretty sure I'm the corpse.

    But you're the sexy corpse.

    2cf4m6f.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.