As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War IP sold to Microsoft Studios: The End of an Era

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Inker2000 wrote:
    complaining about something in the beta that they fixed? gimme a break. everything else is fair.

the thing i hate planted frags is when i know one is around the corner, i creep up slowly, and still get blasted. gotta use those smokes!

The list is of examples of poorly thought out ideas that made it into the game , also its worth noting that if MS hadnt pushed it back we would have gotten the game in April using that build of the game. Anyway wingman is done! 55 more games of TDM and Prescott is mine. It took me 4 fucking days to boost the 300 wingman matches Jesus Christ. Im so glad I will never have to deal with that mode ever again.

Edit - I dont know if anyone else noticed this but Team metal skin pack is the same price as the animated ones. Was thinking about picking the pack with spare points but now im not sure. I should probably wait to see if there are any cool ones coming in the next dlc since I already paid for that.

Edit-2 Thanks for the heads up Scottsman , any clue which cog skins are going to be release? The LE versions of Commando Dom and mechanic Baird? Kinda hope at least one of them is new seeing two versions of Cole train and six skins total for Cole is annoying.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    grats on grinding out wingman. ive pretty much resigned myself to not getting all the gears 3 achievements.

by fair, i meant fair complaints, sorry if that was confusing.

as for the weapon skin pack, dont do it! (actually, go for it if you want)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Edit - I dont know if anyone else noticed this but Team metal skin pack is the same price as the animated ones. Was thinking about picking the pack with spare points but now im not sure. I should probably wait to see if there are any cool ones coming in the next dlc since I already paid for that.

Edit-2 Thanks for the heads up Scottsman , any clue which cog skins are going to be release? The LE versions of Commando Dom and mechanic Baird? Kinda hope at least one of them is new seeing two versions of Cole train and six skins total for Cole is annoying.

As far as I know, the only skins that are, for certain, in the game and haven't been released yet are:

Savage Hunter (Formerly the Savage Marauder: Drone with a stone snake mask looking thingy)
    Savage Grenadier LE
    Mechanic Baird LE
    Commando Dom LE
    Thrashball Drone

I've heard that Skorge, Cyclops and Bolter are in the game in some capacity, but I don't know if they've shown up in a manor that would imply they'll definitely be in multiplayer. (Cyclops and Bolter were in RAAM's Shadow, IIRC)

I can't imagine that they'll release more COG beyond that, if for no other reason than there aren't a lot of Locust Characters so far. Still, I'm hoping for Alex Brand, since she's probably the biggest character from the comics who hasn't gotten a in-game representation yet.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't know why Team Metal is mispriced.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I am sure you guys have noticed this but when you come up against a good player who's mastered the Hamerburst, holy shit. You're often down before you can react. I imagine that ranked matches have alot of active-reloaded rifle kills.

When I am "on" and pay attention to my active reload, I realize how good the rifles can be. But it's all about playstyle. If 3-4 guys are shotgun-rushing you while your team is off camping the grenade spawn, not much you can do besides run.

Speaking of which, people who plant grendade at the grenade spawn should explode instantly. I'd like to see that in the next patch.

I used to really like the "Stay Frosty" playlist, which is nothing but over powered Hammerbursts and Pistols. Dear God are some people good. I've had several matches where my side didn't get a single kill and we were pinned down at our spawn. Anytime anyone would pop up they'd get killed with a headshot from the pistol, and anyone foolish enough to make a run for it would be cut down in less than a second.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Is the multiplayer community still vibrant for this?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    GodofalluGodofallu Oshkosh, WIRegistered User regular

Define vibrant. If you mean active then yes extremely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You will never have to wait for a game if that's what you mean. I would never describe the community of any of the gears games as vibrant though . Mean spirited and petty would be more accurate.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I think I might need to take a break from the multiplayer in this game. My skills are not what they used to be. I'm getting destroyed constantly and losing battles I'm sure I should be winning. Are dedicated servers still be used?

• Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    Just a quick vent. When you clearly have the jump on a guy and you go in for the shotgun kill and arbitrarily backs up at the last second so that you cruise right by him. Then he knee-jerks and pulls the trigger and SPLAT, chunks.

• Options
    Epic has been locking threads asking what today's announcement will be, saying "There is no announcement" so the rumor was bunk I guess.

Or Epic could just be playing coy. Whatever.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I'll wager we'll get an announcement any day now for the DLC pack and it will be released by the end of February.

• Options
    Aw. Kind looked forward to the announcement and knowing what was coming. Oh well.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Think I discovered the announcement.
    It might be a second chance at the Facebook Griffen code thing.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nah, it was a guy who ostensibly has enough connections within Epic to hear about something a few days early, and he allegedly said it was a DLC4 announcement. It was a bunk rumor, nothing more.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Then our choice is clear we must travel to the liars house and murder him.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:

But I just did that like, 2 days ago and it still worked.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote:
    Nocren wrote:

But I just did that like, 2 days ago and it still worked.

It's not so much a second chance as it is a "It's still available but supplies are limited and might run out soon!"

'course I already have a code AND I nearly have enough cash in horde to unlock him normally.

• Options
    Well now. I am 200 something off gold executioner medal ( I bet a good 80 percent of those are meatshields) 80 away from silver headshot medal and 32 tdm matches from Prescott which I will eventually get but TDM is so boring. Grab rifles camp power weapons. Most of which happen to be on the high ground anyway. Kinda sad there will never be a armored kantus multiplayer skin as im a fan of all things Kantus but at the very least they should add Skorge. So much cooler then therons.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be keeping this thread up to date or something, wasn't I? Here's a blurb about the next book
    In the Slab, there are no rules and no mercy. As Marcus begins a nightmarish day-to-day existence, it will finally be revealed why his sentence was commuted and who intervened to save his life. While his friends and fellow Gears Dom Santiago and Anya Stroud try to secure a legal appeal for him, Marcus learns to survive in an institution populated by the most dangerous dregs of society—not just the criminals imprisoned there, but also the corrupt guards.

The cover art for the book was created by Epic Games Art Director Chris Perna and Senior Artist Mike Buck. Coming on May 8th, 2012, Gears of War: The Slab is an original novel written by #1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Traviss. Karen has written the four previous novels in the Gears of War series: Aspho Fields, Jacinto’s Remnant, Anvil Gate, and Coalition’s End, and is the writer of Gears of War 3 Video Game.

MARCUS FENIX.
    WAR HERO. LOYAL SON. TRAITOR.

Ten years after Emergence Day, as the Locust Horde advances on humanity’s last defended area—Ephyra—in a bloody war that has seen billions die, Marcus Fenix does the unthinkable: he defies orders and abandons his post during a critical battle in a bid to rescue his father, weapons scientist Adam Fenix. But Adam is buried in the rubble during a ferocious assault on the Fenix mansion, and Ephyra falls to the enemy. Marcus, grieving for a father everyone believes is dead, is court-martialed for dereliction of duty and sentenced to forty years in the Coalition of Ordered Government’s brutal maximum security prison, known simply as the Slab.

But Adam is very much alive, snatched from the destruction by the elite Onyx Guard on Chairman Richard Prescott’s orders. He’s now a long way from home and in a prison of his own—a COG doomsday bunker on the tropical island of Azura, a place hidden from the rest of Sera since the Pendulum Wars. His own guilty secret has been exposed: Adam knew the Locust existed deep below the surface of Sera long before Emergence Day, and were being driven from their tunnels by a lethal parasite known as the Lambent. Now he has to find a way to destroy the Lambent while the dwindling COG forces fight to hold back a growing Locust army that’s threatening to overrun the city.

As Adam struggles to find redemption in his comfortable island jail, Marcus seeks his own atonement in the squalid, closed world within the Slab’s granite walls. While Dom Santiago and Anya Stroud fight to get him released, ready to make any sacrifice to free him, Marcus gradually finds unexpected kinship among Sera’s most dangerous criminals—and a way to carry on his personal war against the Locust.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I would use the COG gear more in multiplayer but he has so few lines , he barely talks . I like when my guy is almost always talking about something.On the subject of information I guess we will have to wait for a bit still for the dlc info. I know its going to be beast mode focused I just wish it wasnt , never found the mode fun. Just hoping it brings something I can have fun with.

• Options
    Man, Epic is sorta slacking. The calendar on the main site hasn't been updated in weeks, and we still haven't heard about what's in DLC #4.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    It honestly seems like epic just kinda lost interest with the game.

• Options
    I guess its for the best though , their "improvements" tend to fix one thing and fuck up two others.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The definition of 'lost interest' seems pretty low. It bugs me that they haven't updated the event calander in a while, but come on.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Apparently there's a TU where they address the connecting to dedicated server issue.
    That's all I got from the FB feed though.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm actually got to play the new maps today. That's a welcome treat , had also been awhile since I played feels good man.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    slot-GwFGears3VDay262x300-v1.jpg

This is cute. :3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I guess I'd be pretty bummed too if my magnus opus happened to come out in the same year as, like, 10 super-duper aweso
    slot-GwFGears3VDay262x300-v1.jpg

This is cute. :3

That was part of the wedding invitation that Cliffy had Gabe make
    http://penny-arcade.com/2012/01/13/congratulations-cliff-and-lauren

• Options
    Epic got super lazy with the new skins for the dlc they are just recolors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQJt7ei61Q

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Wow, yellow omen and green pulse. Yippee.

EDIT: Especially stupid given that there's plenty of NEW skins lying around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9rMzvIcTOU

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Its also the choices of which skin to recolor. There are now three variants of the omen skin (gold yellow and red) three plasmas variants ( team gold green) and three electric ( normal , gold and purple) . I mean really now what is the difference between yellow and gold? On the bright side we are getting an electric variation without having to buy the set.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    To be fair, I think purple electricity was a popular request on the forum.

• Options
    To be fair, I think purple electricity was a popular request on the forum.

Was it? That's neat I never knew that. Speaking of skins I am level 145 and I still do not have one onyx skin , jeez man the amount of time you need to put into those things is amazing.

• Options
    I just hit 60 thanks to the 20 event medal. I think there's a good chance that you're going to lap me :D

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    If I pick this up used, what am I missing out on as far as pack-ins go?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options

Nothing that I remember , but to play on servers online you would need the map packs . One is free the other is 800 ms points. Otherwise you can still play online just on player hosted match.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

Nothing that I remember , but to play on servers online you would need the map packs . One is free the other is 800 ms points. Otherwise you can still play online just on player hosted match.

For my clarification, the free one isn't a code included in new copies? I can download it from the XBL marketplace?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular