Options

So long, PIPA... stocking.. something. Long live the internets

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    man think if google had gone on blackout

I really, really wish they had

Well, really this is the first shot back at it. If SOPA or PIPA progress any further i would expect further escalation on googles part, if not more websites.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So does Rupert Murdoch have an actual argument other then "2 million people will lose their jobs to the internets"

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote:

Why don't these sites just pay millions to hire lobbyists, throw parties for congressmen and make huge donations to politicians like normal people?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:

They have rivals, there's no way they'd do a blackout. Same with Facebook.

Wikipedia are in the enviable position of having no real rivals and being a not for profit organisation (I think? I can't wiki it :( ) so doing a 24 hour blackout won't harm their business.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

Well, really this is the first shot back at it. If SOPA or PIPA progress any further i would expect further escalation on googles part, if not more websites.

There is absolutely no way Google makes more than a token gesture for this movement

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I saw something that said if you disable javascript on your browser for Wikipedia, you can get back in.

I think they also left the mobile devices unaffected since A: java script doesn't work on phones and 2: I think they didn't want to be that big of dicks.

Also, can I suggest a new thread title? The Day the Internet Stood Still?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I saw something that said if you disable javascript on your browser for Wikipedia, you can get back in.

I think they also left the mobile devices unaffected since A: java script doesn't work on phones and 2: I think they didn't want to be that big of dicks.

Also, can I suggest a new thread title? The Day the Internet Stood Still?

If you're the kind of person who can figure out how to disable javascript on your browser (or even know what the word "browser" means) you probably aren't the target demographic for this protest

• Options
    Look, I just saw a tiny disclaimer Wikipedia put up saying they left a work around available if you really need it-

And here I am relaying that information.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Deicist wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

They have rivals, there's no way they'd do a blackout. Same with Facebook.

Wikipedia are in the enviable position of having no real rivals and being a not for profit organisation (I think? I can't wiki it :( )

This was good, I liked this

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Also, could you guys imagine what would happen if Facebook shut down for a day?

First off, Zynga would lose like twelve million dollars.

And uh, well, people would go fucking apeshit around the world.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Holy shit The Police are excellent when you're high.

I didn't understand how ironic this was until I typed that just now.

E: wrong thread.

for content: YOU WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND THAT OUT WITH WIKIPEDIA. (Fucking SOPA blackout)

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote:

That is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Adding on to the anti-SOPA stuff: Chainsaw Suit, A Softer World, Overcompensating, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Shortpacked, Nedroid,

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    Darmak wrote:

That is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it.

Yeah that guy really doesn't understand irony.

Also, laughing at the 'SAVE AMERICAN JOBS' shit. What the fuck is he smoking?

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Destructoid.com has put up their holiday decorations early.

I still think Facebook should have gone on blackout. If you really want to get the attention of the non-political...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Have you guys seen This Film Is Not Yet Rated? Because after watching that I feel like throwing up every time someone mentions the MPAA.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Am I missing something, Wiki is working fine for me. It says "The English Wikipedia is currently locked for the SOPA/PIPA blackout" at the top of the page, but the rest of the English page is working fine and all the links work too. This does not seem like an effective blackout.

Or did I read wrong and this starts tomorrow night? Or rather, tonight at midnight?

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If you use Noscript and don't have wikimedia unblocked then Wikipedia's blocking doohickey won't trigger.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ahhh.

Thank you

I was kind of hoping they would just, for lack of a better phrase, 'shut everything down'. Like a true blackout. No access, no nothing.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Edit; sorry, internet borked.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i just got the thread title!

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    TheStig wrote:
    Have you guys seen This Film Is Not Yet Rated? Because after watching that I feel like throwing up every time someone mentions the MPAA.
    I just watched this instead of going to sleep like I should have! It was really great. Not only that, but I get this joke now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzbE0wpqeKc

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So, my simple NoScript add-on for firefox defeats the wikipedia blackout I guess. That was easy, to the extent that the problem was solved before I was even aware of it.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow. So I go to click on Google's top story about the blackout (which had an AP tag under it, so I assumed it was from the AP), and instead I was redirected here:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/18/wikipedia-goes-dark-for-24-hours-to-protest-us-web-piracy-bills/
    Can the world live without Wikipedia for a day? The shutdown of one of the Internet's most-visited sites is not sitting well with some of its volunteer editors, who say the protest of anti-piracy legislation could threaten the credibility of their work.
    "My main concern is that it puts the organization in the role of advocacy, and that's a slippery slope," said editor Robert Lawton, a Michigan computer consultant who would prefer that the encyclopedia stick to being a neutral repository of knowledge. "Before we know it, we're blacked out because we want to save the whales."[/quote[

Stay classy, Fox News.

(I was probably redirected because I misclicked or it is a story rotater or something.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also, it amuses me greatly that this blackout is ending up with more support than World IPv6 day did.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    Also, it amuses me greatly that this blackout is ending up with more support than World IPv6 day did.

really?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Man, this blackout stuff is a tease. At least say you're blacking out instead of presenting me with the main page and letting think I'll get some information only to shut me down.

• Options
    Athenor wrote:

I ain't even heard of that. Just tested; guess I can't get on IPv6.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    They're doing another IPv6 thingy this year, on June 6 - all of Google, Facebook, Bing, and Yahoo will have it turned on for good.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote:
    TheStig wrote:
    I just watched this instead of going to sleep like I should have! It was really great. Not only that, but I get this joke now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzbE0wpqeKc

the private investigator in that movie was rad as hell

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    holy shit, on imgur, you can put in your phone number
    and it will call your phone, then forward you to the appropriate state rep for you

http://americancensorship.org/modal/call-form-moz.html

That's ballin.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Google isn't doing anything because behind the scenes, a week before this bill were to be voted upon they will secretly close down their site with a small note stating that with the new internet restrictions they can no longer operate that part of the site and must close down.

Everyone everywhere loses their shits.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    From fark.com
    While a bunch of other sites are going "dark" to protest SOPA/PIPA, we're over the moon about the whole thing. Why? Honestly, we've been bringing you the latest news happening across the internet for 12 years, and we're tired. And SOPA/PIPA is the perfect excuse to quit.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I hadn't thought about fark in at least four years

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    sopa is swedish slang for calling someone a loser

derived from sopor which means garbage

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Shorty wrote:

like...12 for me

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

like...12 for me

WTF
    LOL
    DUMB

• Options
    Hah!

Using the link to the Cracked article on the first page, I found that the list of authors of the bill was out there.

So I click through to boingboing to read the authors... and I couldn't, because the website was blacked out.

This discussion has been closed.