As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Incredibly Specific (read: picky) Computer Mouse Issues

flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
All right, so as some quick background, I've run into situations recently (past few weeks) where my hand/wrist have started to cramp and hurt or feel generally rigid and uncomfortable after mid-to-long periods of computer use. This goes for both at the office (in front of a computer for 8 hours a day) as well as at home (predominantly web browsing and gaming). To that end, I've been looking for a new mouse but the process has proven to be... trying. Particularly because I am apparently insanely picky about mice.

So, the type of mouse that I used for a very, very long time, and which is still most comfortable for my hand to be honest, is this: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D66-00069-Wheel-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00025O7FC. I think using it for so long just got my hand used to the general shape and feel of the mouse itself. The issue here is that the mouse is dreadfully slow on any modern resolution (both my office and home monitors are 1920x1080).

To compensate, I've been using a Razer Deathadder for about a year, and it works decently, but this is the mouse I was using when my hand/wrist issues started cropping up, so I figured I'd look around and see what else I could find. I've tried the Logitech G400 (MX518 replacement) and G500 and those do not work for me for one specific reason: the ridge on the right-hand side of the mouse. I am predominantly a fingertip grip user, moving the mouse with my thumb on the left side and my ring and pinky fingers on the right hand side of the mouse, with index and middle on LMB and RMB respectively. The Logitech mice (which I see as being highly recommended) have a hard rubber ridge on the right side which is exactly where my ring finger wants to sit, and it is supremely uncomfortable.

I've also recently tried picking up a Steelseries Sensei, since its body shell is almost exactly the same as the Microsoft mouse I linked above. It seems to work... decently, but my ring finger again is causing issues in that it sits directly over the side buttons on the right hand side of the mouse. I've disabled the buttons in software, but I still accidentally depress the buttons from time to time, not to mention that not having a smooth surface to rest my finger on is somewhat strange. I've considered trying the Steelseries Kinzu v2 or Kana once they are available, but they're a bit smaller than the Sensei and I don't know how well that will work with my mid-to-large sized hands. I did also try the Razer Abyssus, which was supposed to be great for fingertip users, but I found it to be too small and it cramped up my hand a bit (also why I'm reluctant to try the Logitech G9x, since it seems pretty small as well). I'd ideally like to have side buttons, but honestly at this point I'd rather have comfort over buttons.

Am I doomed here? Should I stick with fingertip gripping the Deathadder and hope for the best? Keep trying the Sensei to get used to it a little better? Dial up the mouse speed in Windows and try adjusting to using the old MS mouse I'm used to? Any suggestions are most welcome. My primary concern is for gaming/home browsing for the time being.

flapjack on

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I would indeed try messing with the mouse settings in Windows first, since you seem to have a mouse that otherwise works well.

Otherwise, well, I think the mouse I use would fit you fine, assuming it doesn't have the ridge in a problem spot (my fingers rest on this mouse just fine right near the ridge it does have)... but... I don't think Logitech has sold anything in the same style for quite a while for some reason. I'm talking about the Logitech G5. Two buttons on the left side (and two in the middle where you can't accidentally hit them), left/right scrolling, a "soft" ridge on the right (like I said, hopefully not the same spot as the others-- I think from what I've seen of the new mice it isn't), and has served both me and my significant other very well for years now. If you plug in the name on Amazon you can find several different styles of it being sold used for like $30-60. Unfortunately I'm not sure where you'd find it that would let you return it if it didn't work out or wasn't in good condition (without being godawful expensive, anyway), since as far as I know it's out of production. But it really is a great mouse! I have no intention of replacing it until it dies because I don't really want a lot of buttons at the moment. I don't really understand why they've stopped selling them. The only downside to them is that you can't use the latest version of LOGITECH'S OWN SOFTWARE because apparently they eventually broke the side button handling for this specific mouse somehow (SetPoint 4.80.103 is what I'm still using, if you're curious). Not a problem if you have the right version, since the mouse works just fine if you do.

I don't have any experience with more modern mice... sorry!

Essee on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you could always try a mouse not branded towards gaming. they seem to be more finger gripping. the Logitech m510 felt really nice in my hand and it has some thumb buttons. i think if you stick to symetrical ones you can easily grip it how youlike

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I grip the mouse exactly like you. I figured everyone did that way.

This is the mouse I've been using for a while, and I love it. There is a very slight indentation where my ring finger grips the right side and it's supremely comfortable. It's also a very slight rubbery texture, so it's easy to hang on to. If you're concerned about speed, you can also change the DPI on the fly with the buttons on the mouse.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5797&dgc=SS&cid=39715&lid=1003769
    alienware_tactx_mouse-180-120.jpg

As far as your pain is concerned, that could very well be to overuse and have nothing to do with your mouse.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Figgy wrote:
    I grip the mouse exactly like you. I figured everyone did that way.

This is the mouse I've been using for a while, and I love it. There is a very slight indentation where my ring finger grips the right side and it's supremely comfortable. It's also a very slight rubbery texture, so it's easy to hang on to. If you're concerned about speed, you can also change the DPI on the fly with the buttons on the mouse.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5797&dgc=SS&cid=39715&lid=1003769
    alienware_tactx_mouse-180-120.jpg

As far as your pain is concerned, that could very well be to overuse and have nothing to do with your mouse.

Or you could save some money and get a Logitech G9X.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Programmable-Laser-Gaming-Precision/dp/B001NTFATI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326917467&sr=8-2

Edit: It's actually sorta big try finding one at a store like Bestbuy and see for yourself.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I got mine for $35. Alienware branded.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    It's $80 now. $35 would be a great a deal providing you don't mind waiting 3-5 weeks for it to ship.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    For work, I've grown to love the Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. In the beginning I wanted to toss it, but now I wouldn't give it trade it for any other type.

I would never use it for gaming, because the thing is gigantic. But at work, it is so comfortable.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote:
    It's $80 now. $35 would be a great a deal providing you don't mind waiting 3-5 weeks for it to ship.

My point was there are other resellers, and there are sales.

And where the heck are you shopping online waiting 3-5 weeks for something to ship? This is a great mouse and fits the description of what the OP is looking for. I don't know why you're so adament about turning this into a tit-for-tat.

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote:
    For work, I've grown to love the Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. In the beginning I wanted to toss it, but now I wouldn't give it trade it for any other type.

I would never use it for gaming, because the thing is gigantic. But at work, it is so comfortable.

I've never tried the "Natural" version, but I love my Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 v1.0. For right-handed people, the "Comfort" version seems to be the closest to the v1.0 which seems to be discontinued.

midshipman.jpg