As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good resources for nutrition/health, preferably on a budget.

sainsain Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not overweight, but I know my metabolism won't always be so kind and I'd like to start enforcing healthy habits now instead of later. Information on nutrition seems to be really conflicting though. I just want a decent starting point for tasty and affordable recipes, what to avoid, etc.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and good drink suggestions would be wonderful. I've already stopped drinking soda and most juice, but having water with every meal is getting old.

sain on

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Drink tea, no sugar. Peppermint tea, green tea, whatever.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    How much are you looking to change? The mediterranean diet is the best-studied diet in terms of clear medical benefit (mostly cardiovascular benefit), even independent of weight loss. It's probably a bit harder to gain weight while on it but you can gain on any diet if you are eating too much. However, switching over to it completely is probably a fairly radical change for you.

Eat vegetables with every meal (starchy things are not vegetables!) and try to make one of them a green vegetable. Look at the size of your plates, and if they are huge, consider buying slightly smaller ones. As far as beverages go, try adding things to your water for flavour like limes and lemons.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Actually on a similar line. I'm looking for a website with recipes that are easy (under 5 minutes prep 20 minutes cooking) and follow the mediterranean diet.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    On the BBC website there's a food section where you can search by cuisine type (Italian, Greek, Spanish etc) and recipes that are quick and easy.
    www.bbc.co.uk/food

More generally try cutting meat out your diet for about two days a week. I love my meat, but there are plenty of delicious veggie recipes out there.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Do you mean 5 minutes total time and then ignore it for 20 minutes? because that is a completely unrealistic expectation.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Lentils are good

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    Actually on a similar line. I'm looking for a website with recipes that are easy (under 5 minutes prep 20 minutes cooking) and follow the mediterranean diet.

I've noticed if my diet goes more vegetarian (which I'd say the mediterranean diet is compared to a typical western diet) then those numbers are more likely to be reversed (20 minutes prep and 5 cooking).

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Vegetarian cooking is easy compared to meat, since you don't have to worry about cooking veggies to a safe temperature, and frozen veggies thaw a whole lot faster than frozen meat.

I personally like the recipes on this site.

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking