As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advanced Chem question: Lead Peroxide?

delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
K, so we're doing nomenclature in class today, which is horrendously boring for me as I am not a total idiot. Anyways, I was asked to name the compound PbO2, and a thought struck me: was this lead(iv) oxide or lead(ii) peroxide? Curious, I later looked up both substances online and found that, apparently, lead(ii) peroxide doesn't exist.

My question, then, is this: why doesn't lead(ii) peroxide exist, naturally or in the lab?

EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
"Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
delroland on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    delroland wrote:
    K, so we're doing nomenclature in class today, which is horrendously boring for me as I am not a total idiot. Anyways, I was asked to name the compound PbO2, and a thought struck me: was this lead(iv) oxide or lead(ii) peroxide? Curious, I later looked up both substances online and found that, apparently, lead(ii) peroxide doesn't exist.

My question, then, is this: why doesn't lead(ii) peroxide exist, naturally or in the lab?

Peroxide has to be X-O-O-X.

Lead in that bonding configuration is still in the +1 valence state. The molecule would probably auto-react to yield PbO2 and a Pb2+ instead. No it wouldn't - the easiest way out of that would be to go and become Pb(I)O, but off-the-top of my head that would be an unstable intermediate.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think I found it under "Bonding" on the peroxide wiki page: "Owing to the weak bonding between the oxygen atoms, peroxide easily undergoes homolytic cleavage." So it would probably go 2 PbO2 -> 2 PbO + O2 almost immediately, even if it was created in the lab.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23