As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] PA Deathwatch detachment collaboration project

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Dr. Keenbean

Envisioning this head on a standard longfang body with the shoulder mounted heavy bolter up above. He'll have a thunderhammer in his left hand, just kinda hanging there like Coteaz style. Or, could give him a powerfist. Either way the shoulder mounted HB leaves his left arm free to hold his weapon. The only caveat is that he'll require either a modified SW backpack or one of the smaller packs that come with the kit. I'll see what I can figure out.

@Frothulhu

Crimson Fist Terminator with a 'Hammer'. Seems pretty simple to me, get a powerfist wielding Terminator. This seems like a fantastic model to use, but getting the DW shoulderpad on there could definitely prove problematic. Could instead go with the open handed powerfist and have him holding onto something Xenos, like a piece of a Tyranid or have him blasting an Eldar.

@J

Sadly with the DW color scheme, going to lose one of the major features of the Deathwing. Use a DA veteran sprue set of legs with a standard Terminator torso/storm bolter and GK halberd. Model him standing with the stormbolter outstretched to the left and the halberd held near the head with the blade facing down and backwards at an angle like \ behind him.
    @Custom Special

Modify a standard terminator so it's shoving it's halberd down into a xenos with both hands and the storm bolter mounted on his wrists. Adorn with standard Ultra stylings. Comes complete with action-dead xenos!

@Everyone

Still need one person to pick up the Justicar Terminator, if you know anyone interested.

Go ahead, sounds cool. You're the one making it. :)
    I did think doing a two-handed halberd stab thing would be cool, but I feel like it would be difficult to make happen in terminator armor. But, you're the one making it happen, so go right ahead if you can do it!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Go ahead, sounds cool. You're the one making it. :)
    I did think doing a two-handed halberd stab thing would be cool, but I feel like it would be difficult to make happen in terminator armor. But, you're the one making it happen, so go right ahead if you can do it!

Storm shield arms are bent at a pretty solid angle. Figure I might be able to make them work.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ugh...I am failing at posting pictures...will fix it when I figure out how to not be dumb with a computer.

Edit- Ok, you can see him now...I think. Anyway, prototype of the Apothecary, give voice to your critiques please. I think the Warding Stave could be cut down a little since it just seems SOOOOO long.
    [img][/img]6772883310_8129f208ea.jpg

[img][/img]
    6918997847_5381715b5c.jpg

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Excited to check it out when I get home in a bit. I'll let you know then how I feel.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote:
    Ugh...I am failing at posting pictures...will fix it when I figure out how to not be dumb with a computer.

Edit- Ok, you can see him now...I think. Anyway, prototype of the Apothecary, give voice to your critiques please. I think the Warding Stave could be cut down a little since it just seems SOOOOO long.
    [img][/img]6772883310_8129f208ea.jpg

[img][/img]
    6918997847_5381715b5c.jpg

Nice.. Very nice.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Nice model Nealneal. These are the DW shoulderpads I'm going to be using, I am buying 2x10 so if you want to wait for me to send this one you can save yours.

DWshoulderpad.jpg

• Options
    Sounds good to me. I tried to grab a single one of those, but singles seem to be exceedingly rare.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm buying the kits for that reason. Bit more expensive but I also get heads and guns and stuff. Plus they have writing on them and look pretty boss.

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    That apothecary is dope.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I can do the justicar as well, if your struggling to assign it to someone. :) Just name the chapter.
    I'm thinking some shoulder pad related freehand could help alleviate a it of the loss of "angelness" sounds like classic badass pose too!

• Options
    saluksic wrote:
    That apothecary is dope.

He has vials and vials of the stuff.

• Options
    Got the supply of BFGs in yesterday. Should be able to start trying to hack some stuff together tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully will figure out how to post pictures of it sometime before April.

• Options
    So listen, guys, I know some of you wanted to make your own minis, or already have, so this might piss you off a bit, well, not piss you off, but you like, won't be into the idea.

BUT.

Look at this.

38068cee842933632228aa3f9f3bc20b_10273.jpg

http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=204

I could pick up the bodies for either the 10 'paladins' or all 20 non-termies in tru-scale. The shoulderpads look the same size, so you'd just need normal SM heads/arms/shoulderpads, and the legs/torsos would all be tru-scale making the dudes much larger.

I'd have to get more small detail bitz to decorate them, but they'd end up with a lot more surface area for putting detail on and standing out more from normal marines.

I'm leaning heavily towards making the 10 Paladins this size so they stand out, but they might look kinda funky compared to the rest of the army.

Thoughts?

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I'd allow it.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    While I'm a fan of truescale marines and would love to have an army of them I'll never feel like putting forth the effort to make one myself.

I think if you're going truescale you need to do it across the board otherwise it's just going to look bad.

EDIT: also looking at those sculpts they look like poop. :P

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Actually yea they are poop. And also not having different Mk armor is dumb. So there.

• Options
    I don't see any poop. They look like generic resin models that need some cleaning up. I foudn another pic of some more torsos he plans on releasing that look much better.

73e87e07120ebafb0bf345338c8f3d2c_10273.jpg

• Options
    Well, eh.

• Options
    I'm not sold on it yet. It's definitely going to be a loss of detail and uniquness to each model, with a lot more work to get both of those back. It would, however, make the army as a whole stand out more, and they'd fill in the 40mm bases a lot better.

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas on it, honestly.

• Options
    How would the Paladins look relative to the Terminators then?

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Chapterhouse stuff looks like poop to start with, so that's not the best example.

I would not suggest it...it's a lot of work to do well, and generally ends up just looking O.K.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote:
    How would the Paladins look relative to the Terminators then?

A problem I was considering. They'd be much larger which would suck.
    Chapterhouse stuff looks like poop to start with, so that's not the best example.

I would not suggest it...it's a lot of work to do well, and generally ends up just looking O.K.

I think it looks generic, but not bad.

It will be a lot of work, and has the potential to look amazing or mediocre. It's a lot more work which would suck because everyone is already going to be waiting to get their models ASAP come april.

Leaning towards no unless they release some better detailed bits before then.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'd say no if it was me. The True Scale standing next to the Terminators would is a big part of that.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, Im not sold on the true scale stuff yet. Just dont think its worth loosing the ability to use some of the chapter specific bits personally, even if we're trying not to overdo the chapter iconography.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Not really a fan of truescaling in general either

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    It's a no to that idea then.

It's been busy at work, I've wanted to kill all humans all night. Didn't get shit done today. Fuck.

• Options
    Just dropped another $15 at the Bitz Barn. I have a problem.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

How are they? Their prices and shipping look good, but have you gotten good shipping/customer service from them?
    Be good to know that a place like that is reliable to get good bitz.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Bitz Barn was fine for me, I like Blackdagger Games (on ebay) more, but they didn't have the bits I wanted.

• Options

How are they? Their prices and shipping look good, but have you gotten good shipping/customer service from them?
    Be good to know that a place like that is reliable to get good bitz.

I've made all of one order from them, so small sample size and all that; but the order showed up in a timely manner, and there were plenty of email updates as it happened. I'll hollar if this order goes pear shaped.

I just wish they had more of the bitz I need, like DE blasters. I can't imagine why there aren't more spare blaster bitz for sale. Cough.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just wish they had more of the bitz I need, like DE blasters. I can't imagine why there aren't more spare blaster bitz for sale. Cough.

Clip the barrel and ammo from a shredder, glue on a barrel from a Blast Pistol. It's pretty hard to tell the difference. (there are 2 'real' and 2 converted blasters in that squad)

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Clip the barrel and ammo from a shredder, glue on a barrel from a Blast Pistol. It's pretty hard to tell the difference. (there are 2 'real' and 2 converted blasters in that squad)

That's a good one, but I'm also looking to go with the ever popular Dark Elf Corsair to Trueborn conversion, so extra bitz would be huuuuge.

Getting my shit together and actually assembling and painting everything wouldn't hurt either.

• Options
    You can also clip a splinter rifle in half and thrown a disintegrator barrel on it. There's pics in the 40k thread somewhere, if you can't find it PM me and I'll dig up the pics for you.

RE: Bitz suppliers - Bitzbarn is a very good outlet but their stock is usually short. Ebay usually has a better selection but a bit pricier.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    dragoo10.jpg Yeah, this is pretty pimp. If the 6th ed rumors are true, totally legit to throw in the Dark Lance.

I second not using Tru-Scale. The models don't look -that- great, and it really diminishes what you can do with them. Standing them next to Terminators is also going to be an issue. Making the base extra-scenic is always an option. That or just use a different Terminator model base.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Still need @SJ and @Asher to clarify if they NEED or HAVE a model.

Gonna start the drafts for the interceptors tonight if work stays quiet. Will clean up the OP with the current drafts. If you haven't already, please find your char drafts and make comments on them. Give links to bitz you're looking at and let us know what you're thinking.

• Options
    If you haven't commented on your model's draft, here they are all again, summarized. I'm going to start putting finalized drafts in the OP, so once we give the greenlight on a model's outline I can mark it off on my spreadsheet and annotate the bitz I'll need for it.

@OtakuD00D

Blood Ravens are like Blood Angels, but not really. The blood drop iconography from the DC box makes them a short stretch (With some modifications, of course) to represent your BR. Find a more blood and less angel setup from the box, then give him a halberd with stormbolter attached. He now wields one of his chapters oldest artefacts, a renowned stormbolter halberd that was said to belong to one of the original custodes. Fits with the Blood Raven's fetish for pre-heresy shit. Good or bad idea?

@Sharp101

I believe I still have one of these extra Dark Elf corsair cloaks in my DE bitz I can fit to a marine as a cloak. Use a GK standing body with the sweeping of the cloak to give him a stoic gaze. This arm fits the pose (Left arm pointed out, cloak sweeping to the left) and we could mount his storm bolter on the powerfist Pedro style.

@Frothulhu

Crimson Fist Terminator with a 'Hammer'. Seems pretty simple to me, get a powerfist wielding Terminator. This seems like a fantastic model to use, but getting the DW shoulderpad on there could definitely prove problematic. Could instead go with the open handed powerfist and have him holding onto something Xenos, like a piece of a Tyranid or have him blasting an Eldar.

@J

Sadly with the DW color scheme, going to lose one of the major features of the Deathwing. Use a DA veteran sprue set of legs with a standard Terminator torso/storm bolter and GK halberd. Model him standing with the stormbolter outstretched to the left and the halberd held near the head with the blade facing down and backwards at an angle like \ behind him.

The sooner we get all the drafts in, the sooner I can order all the bitz. I would like the army sitting in my bedroom in pieces come April 20th when I get home and to start shipping by May 7th at the latest.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

@OtakuD00D

Blood Ravens are like Blood Angels, but not really. The blood drop iconography from the DC box makes them a short stretch (With some modifications, of course) to represent your BR. Find a more blood and less angel setup from the box, then give him a halberd with stormbolter attached. He now wields one of his chapters oldest artefacts, a renowned stormbolter halberd that was said to belong to one of the original custodes. Fits with the Blood Raven's fetish for pre-heresy shit. Good or bad idea?

The chapter has a fetish in general for ancient, shiny artifacts. ESPECIALLY pre-heresy, I suppose. It was gifted to them ages ago by the Custodes for a great deed done on their behalf. The Custodes have no such record of this happening.

Pretty awesome idea, I think.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

@OtakuD00D

The chapter has a fetish in general for ancient, shiny artifacts. ESPECIALLY pre-heresy, I suppose. It was gifted to them ages ago by the Custodes for a great deed done on their behalf. The Custodes have no such record of this happening.

Pretty awesome idea, I think.

That's what we'll go with then. Easy day.

• Options
    The Horus Heresy books mention that the Custodes' halberd things are genecoded to their owners. That might be a fun tidbit to weave in there. Is it authentic, does it still have the code of the original owner, if so who was it and how the heck is this guy able to use it?

Maybe too much for tabletop fluff, anyone want to start a Deathwatch game?

• Options
    The Horus Heresy books mention that the Custodes' halberd things are genecoded to their owners. That might be a fun tidbit to weave in there. Is it authentic, does it still have the code of the original owner, if so who was it and how the heck is this guy able to use it?

Maybe too much for tabletop fluff, anyone want to start a Deathwatch game?

I definitely do. I'm actually gonna start building a campaign for when I get back to the states. I'd GM it if we had enough folks interested, although I'm not sure how we'd do it on the forums. Anyone got experience with that?