As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    The obvious is there won't be any new DLC or patches. The game in general will net you a lot of play time. I am, including DLC, maybe 40-50% done (still a few zones in Detyre and Plains of Erathell to complete, plus dungeons) at 52 hours in. One thing to note is the game is easy. Even on Hard, the game is easy. If you use any of the crafting skills, it further trivializes the game. As some have said, the lore isn't stellar. I have enjoyed a number of the quest lines so far, and there are times where you can make a decision that genuinely makes you feel involved....
    there is one point where you decide to either help some refugees or a radical religious group who purposely destroyed the property of the refugees... I felt such disdain for the radical group that I was excited to help the refugees

The combat is quite fun, so if you can get it for a good rate and enjoy actiony combat and a so-so backdrop, you'll easily get 100+ hours out of the game.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I played the demo just prior to ME3 release, and enjoyed the combat as a rogues dagger guy.

steam_sig.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    This game is perfect except for all the ways it's not very good at all.

I've loved how the game doesn't lock you in to paths like typical WRPGs, where if you're a warrior you have to use swords and no magic, rogues have to use knives and lockpicks, yada yada and so on. It's legitimately cool that I can choose to be a magic-wielding soldier who can pick a difficult lock, or a mage with a shield and a hammer. Also, the breadth and depth of the weapons and armor is astounding, and that doesn't even account for the really interesting crafting opportunities you have where you make your own gear.

However, the game does a handful of things that have kept me from falling in love with it entirely.

- Crafting. It's a great idea, but the implementation of it goes wonky in several ways. First of all, you have to break down gathered items to receive your crafting resources, but the way your item limit is apportioned you really only have about half of your backpack's limit you can allow for weapons and armor, due to other incidentals taking up necessary spots. This ends up with you constantly running back and forth to your stashhouse or nearest blacksmith to break down your collected items, but since the reward mechanic on the breakdown is completely random, you often end up with salvaging some gear that could be sold for a pretty penny and getting useless crap in return. On top of that, you waste a lot of XP upgrades getting to a level where you can craft anything worthwhile that would be better served on gameplay bonuses; the game really shouldn't make you choose between out-of-combat skills and in-combat skills. I shouldn't have to be a shitty stealth user because I'm an awesome blacksmith or lockpicker.

- Alchemy. Alchemy is stupid. In any game. The only game I've ever played so far that pulls off alchemy to a decent standard is Dragon Age 2, where your resources are tallied by how many you've found in the wild, not how many items you have in your possession, and then you just buy pre-crafted potions at the stores or have them delivered to your house. The common approach to alchemy, as seen in this game however, is awful and I hate it. It's a time waster, and boring as shit, and I never use 90% of the potions that are available, and in this game some of them are downright frustrating; why is there a "persuasion" potion when the game never indicates when you need to use it and won't let you return to those conversations once initiated? How the hell am I supposed to know when to use the stupid thing?

- Training. The game offers certain NPCs who can train your character and boost certain skill sets, which is a good idea, but instead of offering challenges you can actually play to get these bonuses, it's just an exchange of money. This isn't a broken part of the game, but I do think it's a missed opportunity. Also, despite being a monetary exchange, the cost of these training sessions isn't influenced by your mercantile skill, and they're really freaking expensive.

- Lore and Player-Character Involvement. Others here have already made points about this, but I will reiterate how much of a missed opportunity this has been. The total playing time for this game is potentially hundreds of hours, but your character is just a bland, voiceless cipher with little actual involvement in the world around them. It's similar to the mechanic of Dragon Age: Origins, except DA:O went a long way out of its way to establish the world in which the game is played, offering different origin stories for your builds with lots of cinematics to ground the story. Here, I'm just an empty suit of armor on a billion different fetch-quests for people I don't know and conflicts I have no involvement in. Even after dozens of hours in, I have no real understanding of the world of Amalur or how its cultures impact the events. There's no emotion in this game, and no engagement, and that's damn shame, because EA has already shown they can do a good job in that department with BioWare's RPGs.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Yep, that's pretty accurate. Surprised you haven't made a comment on the difficulty.

As for anyone else still watching the thread, I'd recommend you take a look at Dragon's Dogma if you haven't already. It's a lot like this game, only with harder combat, an interesting online component, and a crazy awesome ending :)

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There's no emotion in this game, and no engagement, and that's damn shame, because EA has already shown they can do a good job in that department with BioWare's RPGs.

I'm not sure what you mean here. EA is just the publisher for this, and BioWare's games.

I understand the complaints about this game's difficulty, but I love the fact that its so easy. I like to just chill and relax with a nice simple game sometimes. Like, I'll just sit once and a while and just veg out with a game like Limbo. Now, I have this rather huge RPG that I can sit and just chill out with. Its a shame its a dead IP now :(

Ditto the sentiments on Dragon's Dogma too. I mean, KoA is a good game and DD is similar. Only its 100% more awesome.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    There's no emotion in this game, and no engagement, and that's damn shame, because EA has already shown they can do a good job in that department with BioWare's RPGs.

If you somehow get emotion and engagement out of Biowares Tween hamhanded writing then I have a nice collection of Agatha Christie books I could sell you. They'd be absolutely thrilling to your ... tastes, I assure you!

steam_sig.png
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Yep, that's pretty accurate. Surprised you haven't made a comment on the difficulty.

As for anyone else still watching the thread, I'd recommend you take a look at Dragon's Dogma if you haven't already. It's a lot like this game, only with harder combat, an interesting online component, and a crazy awesome ending :)

I'll have to check Dragon's Dogma out. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

As for Amalur's difficulty, I'm a fairly casual gamer so I don't mind a fairly breezy experience, and I think my difficulty setting on KoA right now is "medium" or whatever. I've had way too many experiences with games set on "crazy nightmare" difficulty where I blow through everything but then get caught at a boss fight that I just can't win. Dragon Age: Origins was like this with any combat against dragons.

But yes, KoA is really, really easy. I think the cause of that is how quickly your items and leveling outpace your enemies, especially early on. I went to Ettimere Swamp a little too early and had trouble with the trolls there, but a couple of level-ups and gear upgrades later, I was taking trolls down five at a time.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Hell, if you play a full on Mage in KoA, you don't even need potions much. Just use the healing spell, then dodge out of the way until the cooldown ends... or just Meteor and Tempest everything to death... hehehehe.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    Hell, if you play a full on Mage in KoA, you don't even need potions much. Just use the healing spell, then dodge out of the way until the cooldown ends... or just Meteor and Tempest everything to death... hehehehe.

Also, you can craft gems for your weapons and armor that regenerate your health and mana endlessly, so after you get to a certain skill level, you basically don't even need those potions anymore.

Fixed that for you :)

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

If you somehow get emotion and engagement out of Biowares Tween hamhanded writing then I have a nice collection of Agatha Christie books I could sell you. They'd be absolutely thrilling to your ... tastes, I assure you!

No need to get goosey about it, Choco.

As for Amalur, I'm avoiding it for the same reason I'm avoiding Dragon's Dogma; the worlds just don't interest me. They both look generic as balls.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Crafting (snip)

- Alchemy. (snip)

I use potions of Greater Blacksmith's Craft all the time, as it meant 2 points I didn't need to burn skills on. Same thing goes for Sagecrafting (and here you can get away with even fewer points) and Greater Merchant's Command. The Dispelling bonus is also really handy with the House of Ballads quest, where there are a couple situations which go much easier for you if your dispelling skill is up.

I'm also confused because IMO it doesn't take many levels of stealth to get in close and cut guys up. You just need to time, move & roll judiciously to get away with it. 3-4 levels of stealth has carried me more than 60 hours into the game and I've slashed plenty of throats and hamstrings in that time.

As for breaking items down, two tips: (1) most items have the possibility of breaking down into a weapon/armor part and then a primary component - this is generally the second component you would add if you are crafting that type. So if you need a rivet, look for an item with stats similar to the rivet you want to generate and normally which takes rivets. That said, if you really want to go nuts with salvaging, you'll have to game the system via save/load antics, as even with a blacksmith skill of 10, it's pretty swingy.

And if you want to game the system, then look into combining gems with the stats you want the component to have with items - i.e. a sword with a Gem of Rot to create a Flawless Infectious Hilt...
    Lore and Player-Character Involvement. (snip)

While I would have liked more recognition of my character's accomplishments, I'm not dissatisfied with the interactions. I liked that the game didn't use some sort of renegade/paragon mechanic to enforce a mechanical consistency in my character's behavior. This allowed to me being nice to the people who deserved it while being quite open about telling baddies I was going to chop them into hamburger.

As for the lore aspect, I chewed through a lot of the books I came across and found the world building worked for me. I felt the environments were really a strong part of the game and did much to differentiate where I was in the world.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

No need to get goosey about it, Choco.

As for Amalur, I'm avoiding it for the same reason I'm avoiding Dragon's Dogma; the worlds just don't interest me. They both look generic as balls.

To me everything feels kind of generic, but I wouldn't avoid KoA because of that. Even though it requires some restraint or you'll break the game in terms of difficulty, the gameplay carries well and the story has its own interesting points. Can't speak for Dragon's Dogma in either direction though (too many games on the stack to buy it).

But anyhoo, what isn't generic to you?

The situation with 38 really sucks though, not just for the game. :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Towards the end of the game, enemy encounters usually lasted about... oh I dunno 5 seconds? Meteor is flippin awesome. I was way overleveled for The House of Valor arena quests, it was awesome.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    After about 70 hours and not even making it to the second continent or doing any DLC, I haven't felt the urge to play the game any more. I am already like level 36, blowing past everything without so much as a concern. It was definitely worth those first 70 hours, but at this point I doubt I will ever see the end of Amalur.

I don't own a console, so Dragon's Dogma is out, but I have been playing Skyrim and so far that is fun. The dungeons actually feel challenging (might be because I am overleveled from sneaking/pickpocketing everyone, everywhere, but with low combat/armor skills) and without an obvious indicator on the map where the enemies are, each corner could be a surprise.

If I ever went back to Amalur, I think I would dump all my skills and only pick up dispelling, persuasion and lockpicking, basically. Otherwise the game is far, far too easy.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    You should at least go watch a Let's Play of the second continent.

am0n wrote: »
    After about 70 hours and not even making it to the second continent or doing any DLC, I haven't felt the urge to play the game any more. I am already like level 36, blowing past everything without so much as a concern. It was definitely worth those first 70 hours, but at this point I doubt I will ever see the end of Amalur.

I don't own a console, so Dragon's Dogma is out, but I have been playing Skyrim and so far that is fun. The dungeons actually feel challenging (might be because I am overleveled from sneaking/pickpocketing everyone, everywhere, but with low combat/armor skills) and without an obvious indicator on the map where the enemies are, each corner could be a surprise.

If I ever went back to Amalur, I think I would dump all my skills and only pick up dispelling, persuasion and lockpicking, basically. Otherwise the game is far, far too easy.

I don't know what level I'm at, but it's probably around 20 or so. Maybe higher, and I'm about halfway through the first continent, and my strategy has been to basically do all the quests in an area before moving on, and I'm at about 40 hours now.

The biggest problem for me is that I just have no engagement with the story. There's no stakes for me or my character.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

I don't know what level I'm at, but it's probably around 20 or so. Maybe higher, and I'm about halfway through the first continent, and my strategy has been to basically do all the quests in an area before moving on, and I'm at about 40 hours now.

The biggest problem for me is that I just have no engagement with the story. There's no stakes for me or my character.

That is the games biggest problem. Aside from repetitive quests.

The only times I ever found myself engaged in the story were the House quests and shortly before the end of the game.

Which is sad. Because the game did everything else so well; as far as being a video game, it had quite good gameplay, mechanics and other features. It just lacked an engaging story you want from a 50-100 hour RPG. And that could have been fixed in a sequel.

Could have. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I suspect that if you just did the House of Ballads, House of Sorrows, and the main questline the game would work much better.

The difficulty might even stay reasonable as long as you avoid Blacksmithing!

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I suspect that if you just did the House of Ballads, House of Sorrows, and the main questline the game would work much better.

The difficulty might even stay reasonable as long as you avoid Blacksmithing!

For a while the mage path is a pretty hard path. Your best strategy throughout most of the game is your Chakrams, especially against the damn Trolls. But once you get high tier spells. Dude, you murder EVERYTHING. When I took out Baal with one Meteor casting, I knew I was rocking the Cheese class.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    so i just picked this up for $10 from best buy. any tips before i start? is the DLC worth getting? i hear i should basically skip every side quest, thoughts?

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so i just picked this up for $10 from best buy. any tips before i start? is the DLC worth getting? i hear i should basically skip every side quest, thoughts?

I wouldn't say you have to skip every one, but don't do them all either. Just do ones that seem interesting or whatever.

Haven't tried the DLC.

If you want more of a challenge, don't craft; just use what you find.

You can mostly skip side quests if you want; you're gonna be overleveled either way; and skipping all of them means you don't see a good chunk of the game. Some are actually quite good; others are completely generic. For sure do all the house quests.

Either way avoid going into new areas before you're ready to actually do them; they lock at the level you first visit which can lead to more dumbness with level scaling.

The DLC's are good. Whether you get them I guess depends on their price? Or interest? The main game has plenty of content on its own; but the DLC's have different enough areas to make them feel fresh.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's just so much brokenness in this game. I played most of it as pure might but decided to try out might/finesse near the end. It turns out that bows are the best melee weapon in the game.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The DLC is good bang for the buck, but they don't add anything to the main story. But the main story isn't really the draw anyway.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    They need to wrap this package up and %50 sale it.

I'd buy it for PC then.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It hasn't even got a small discount in the summer sale. I think with the company going tits up valve must have had difficulty getting an agreement to put it on sale.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular

I would do the side quests that are associated with specific houses/subgroups. Like the house of ballads, house of valor, etc.

If a side quest looks like it has an interesting story, go ahead and do it. The ones around webwood are worth doing, IMO.

If it's a 'go here and kill 5 of those' quest, feel free to skip it. In fact, feel free to skip any side quest that doesn't speak to your soul.

ON NO ACCOUNT AGREE TO COLLECT LOST BOOKS.

I never figured out how to drop quests and that was the biggest pain ever, having those little quest icons constantly showing up everywhere and me unable to do anything about it.

Don't go balls out crafting the most amazing stuff you can, unless you are finding the game too hard. If you're not careful you can make it too easy. Avoid abusing reckoning mode for this reason.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • ElinElin Registered User regular

You need to do at least one side quest in webwood. Kinda vital to game enjoyment. I think it's the one where some snotty dude wants you to go secretly find some dude lost in the woods.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Double post. Glorious.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Amalur DLC is 50% off. I might finally pick it up now. I still need to finish the main game, too.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    90 hours later, id say that was $10 well spent. i ended up 100%ing the base game. really dug this game, aside from it being stupidly easy and a lot of the sidequests being generic nonsense. they should have just cut out the 70% of sidequests that were of the get 10 of these things for me variety, because the ones that werent that were generally pretty cool. i wish the DLC was cheaper, but maybe it will go on sale at some point.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It's part of the amazon sale this weekend for the Origin version. 50% off I think.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This is going for £13.change on psn right now. I bought it yesterday in store for less so I'm pleased. Haven't tried it yet but I'll likely give it a blast after work tomorrow.

Man.

This game.

Criminally under-appreciated.

It had its faults, most of which could have been easily solved with a good sequel.

But alas...:(

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I still fire it up every so often just for the combat. The story is woefully generic, but the combat is neat, and the world is pretty in it's own way.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Generic story but told well enough and the choices aren't badly executed.

steam_sig.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Thread title is kinda amusing. Especially with the fact that there's new posts.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Man.

This game.

Criminally under-appreciated.

It had its faults, most of which could have been easily solved with a good sequel.

But alas...:(

Yep. So it goes.

but now that the price has dipped significantly it will get a cult following, at best.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Thread title is kinda amusing. Especially with the fact that there's new posts.

timing is perfect! I completely missed it. Just wanted to bring it back so I can talk about how awesome it is when I get started on it.