As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Is Your "Lock-box"...

MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My landlord is selling the condo that I'm living in now. The realtors handling it came in and talked to me and my roommate and asked to put a lockbox on the outside, so other realtors could come in and show the place to potential buyers.

They said they would only do it with our permission, and give us some heads-up, but naturally we won't always be there. Has anyone had problems with this? I'm already planning to keep my ultra-valuable stuff out of sight, but people coming in while I'm away still makes me a little nervous.

MasterDebater on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    as it should. depending on how soon you're moving, I'd maybe put some stuff in storage. Do you have contents insurance, or do they? Because losses would at least be covered, in the worst case. There might be some kind of liability cover they hold, even, for situations like this. Also, photo-document everything in the house, with date-stamped pictures, and let them know you've done that. Lastly, the estate agent should accompany anyone visiting the house, so as long as they're trustworthy you should be fine. Just don't leave little things lying around, ie anything smaller than a gamecube.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The good news is that, if their real estate stuff is up to date, the lockbox is opened with a passworded digital key thing that tracks information as to when it is used and by whom. So, if shit gets stolen and you notice in time you will be able to find out what real estate agent was showing it, and who the people coming with him/her were. However much help that is, I don't know.

Now, there is no way in hell that anyone would steal your TV, DVD player, PC, 360, whatever, unless the agent is in on it, which is highly unlikely. People like keeping their jobs and staying out of jail.

You are perfectly justified in being concerned though, so I would suggest on putting away small valuable items.

My mom has been a real estate agent for about a year now, and it doesn't seem like this kind of stuff happens often.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wenchkilla is right on about them's eelektroknik thing-a-majigers.

Yeah, hide your small stuff, and any bills or anything with account numbers, but just have to trust them.

I'm house shopping, and one the other day had a Bose Acoustimas system in their bedroom. so I typed a 3 page whitepaper on why Bose sucks ass when you compare frequency response to amplitude and left it on the desk.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    PitselehPitseleh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a realtor in chicago, and we deal with lock boxes all the time.

What you should do if you feel nervous is request that whatever realty company issued the lock box calls you before any and all appointments to verify that you're there or not. This way you know when someone is in your place EVERY time. That's the best you're going to get.

Pitseleh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pitseleh wrote: »
    What you should do if you feel nervous is request that whatever realty company issued the lock box calls you before any and all appointments to verify that you're there or not. This way you know when someone is in your place EVERY time. That's the best you're going to get.

Depending on what country/state the OP is in, this may be mandated by law anyway.
    A quick Google search for "[insert country/state/province here] tenant rights" should pull that up.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    wenchkilla is right on about them's eelektroknik thing-a-majigers.

Yeah, hide your small stuff, and any bills or anything with account numbers, but just have to trust them.

I'm house shopping, and one the other day had a Bose Acoustimas system in their bedroom. so I typed a 3 page whitepaper on why Bose sucks ass when you compare frequency response to amplitude and left it on the desk.
    I would never let a realtor into my house again.

That's just creepy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    People should do this anyway for insurance purposes, but inventory the valuables in your place, and make sure you include serial numbers. If you have a digital camera or camcorder, make a visual record of the items.

That in combination with the security precautions that Pitseleh suggested will keep your ass about as covered as humanly possible.

crake on